The Latest Thing Keeping Gorebal Warmers Up at Night

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
The rising seas will prevent ship masts from clearing bridges and getting out to sea!

OH NOEZ! THE HUMANITY!

upload_2017-4-20_9-43-27.png

The Nightmare Scenario for Florida’s Coastal Homeowners

The rising seas will prevent ship masts from clearing bridges and getting out to sea!

OH NOEZ! THE HUMANITY!

View attachment 122484

The Nightmare Scenario for Florida’s Coastal Homeowners

The impact is already being felt in South Florida. Tidal flooding now predictably drenches inland streets, even when the sun is out, thanks to the region’s porous limestone bedrock.

That's awful! Global warming is increasing the Moon's gravity!
IS THERE ANYTHING CO2 CAN'T DO?

The looney tunes have already posted.

Atlantic City and Miami Beach: two takes on tackling the rising waters

The rising ocean, fed by melting glaciers and the expansion of warming water, is piling up water along America’s entire eastern seaboard. To compound the problem much of the mid-Atlantic coast is sinking, a hangover from the last ice age, meaning life and property is being swamped like never before.

And yet with no overarching national sea level rise plan and patchy commitment from states, many coastal communities are left to deal with the encroaching seas themselves. Wealthier areas are raising streets and houses, erecting walls and pumps. Those without the funds or political will have several state or federal grants they can access but often make muddled choices in the face of this sisyphean task.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/04/...by-global-warming-has-already-begun.html?_r=0

Local governments, under pressure from annoyed citizens, are beginning to act. Elections are being won on promises to invest money to protect against flooding. Miami Beach is leading the way, increasing local fees to finance a $400 million plan that includes raising streets, installing pumps and elevating sea walls.

In many of the worst-hit cities, mayors of both parties are sounding an alarm.

“I’m a Republican, but I also realize, by any objective analysis, the sea level is rising,” said Jason Buelterman, the mayor of tiny Tybee Island, one of the first Georgia communities to adopt a detailed climate plan.

Flooding is now a problem along most of the East Coast. Large sums of money are already being spent on the results of that flooding, with much more money to be spent as it gets worse. And it surely will.

Honey, I live down here. It is souped up hogwash. Plain and simple.

The rising ocean, fed by melting glaciers and the expansion of warming water, is piling up water along America’s entire eastern seaboard. To compound the problem much of the mid-Atlantic coast is sinking, a hangover from the last ice age, meaning life and property is being swamped like never before.

And yet with no overarching national sea level rise plan and patchy commitment from states, many coastal communities are left to deal with the encroaching seas themselves. Wealthier areas are raising streets and houses, erecting walls and pumps. Those without the funds or political will have several state or federal grants they can access but often make muddled choices in the face of this sisyphean task.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/04/...by-global-warming-has-already-begun.html?_r=0

Local governments, under pressure from annoyed citizens, are beginning to act. Elections are being won on promises to invest money to protect against flooding. Miami Beach is leading the way, increasing local fees to finance a $400 million plan that includes raising streets, installing pumps and elevating sea walls.

“I’m a Republican, but I also realize, by any objective analysis, the sea level is rising,” said Jason Buelterman, the mayor of tiny Tybee Island, one of the first Georgia communities to adopt a detailed climate plan.

Flooding is now a problem along most of the East Coast. Large sums of money are already being spent on the results of that flooding, with much more money to be spent as it gets worse. And it surely will.

Global warming is a fact. I saw it on TV. Maybe this will help?
images

01-29-BeachPump.jpg

Miami Beach to begin new $100 million flood prevention project in face of sea level rise | Miami Herald

Seems that there is a lot of money being spent on what you call hogwash. LOL

images
Why yes, global warming is a fact. I have seen it in the glaciers in the North Cascade, the Rockies, and the Sierras. I have, my lifetime, seen the winters get warmer and shorter, the summers longer and also warmer. I have seen forest fires cease to be measured in acres, and now are measured in square miles. Yes, global warming is a fact.

Ridiculous! If you want to complain about something how about the idiots that built a big city on the ocean where hurricanes happen and flooding happens all the time? LOL!

Last edited:
images
Why yes, global warming is a fact. I have seen it in the glaciers in the North Cascade, the Rockies, and the Sierras. I have, my lifetime, seen the winters get warmer and shorter, the summers longer and also warmer. I have seen forest fires cease to be measured in acres, and now are measured in square miles. Yes, global warming is a fact.
I might believe you if you could tell me what happened thousands of years ago, but since you can't and no one else can either, I laugh at you.

Time Warner is so concerned about rising sea levels they are relocating their HQ to the waterfront on Hudson Yards

NewYorkHudYards.jpg

And the IDIOTS who built New Orleans! It's BELOW SEA LEVEL, and we have to bail them out when it floods! You could not pay me to live there.

South Florida's issue isn't rising water...it's sinking land.

01-29-BeachPump.jpg

Miami Beach to begin new $100 million flood prevention project in face of sea level rise | Miami Herald

Sure, bureaucrats can't steal taxpayers cash if they don't have a means of liberating it from them first. The simple fact is the Miami problems are well known, have been known, and have NOTHING to do with the so called sea level rise. It has to do with the fact that the beaches are eroded away because the streams that used to renew them have all been dammed up.

But that is called science, and we all know you anti science religious nutters don't DO science.

images

Bullshit....What makes you people so f'ing stupid and dishonest?

The single worst wild fire in U.S. history, in both size and fatalities, is known as the Great Peshtigo Fire which burned 3.8 million acres (5,938 square miles) and killed at least 1,500 in northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan during the week of October 8-14, 1871.

The worst wild fire in western history and the 2nd largest overall in the United States was the Great Fire of 1910. This massive forest fire burned some 3 million acres (4,700 square miles) in Idaho and Montana beginning on August 20-21, 1910.

The largest (and deadliest) wild fire in Canadian history as well as in the northeast of the U.S. was the Miramichi Fire of October 7, 1825. An estimated 3 million acres (4,685 square miles) of forest burned in the Canadian province of New Brunswick and in the U.S. state of Main

Perhaps the largest wild fire in modern world history was that known as The Black Friday Bushfire in Australia’s Victoria State on January 13, 1939. Some 5 million acres burned (7,800 square miles)

Of course they are. They have no real drainage and haven't. From 2014, the truth of the matter-

MIAMI — Over the past half-century, South Florida has exploded from a once-sleepy waterfront retreat to one of the nation's biggest metropolises, which has nearly 6 million residents and 33 million annual tourists.

One thing that has barely changed is an antiquated flood-control system designed more than 60 years ago that leaves the region among the most vulnerable in the USA the next time a hurricane packing a high storm surge roars through.

How would the region, which continues growing and sprouting waterfront condos, stand up to a massive surge of water like those produced by Hurricane Katrina or Superstorm Sandy?

"It won't survive," Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Craig Fugate says bluntly.

That makes the Miami metropolitan area the second-biggest sitting duck in the country. A study by CoreLogic estimates more than $103 billion worth of property is at risk from hurricane storm surge — only New York City has more exposed property.

Some cities try to stem the flood in South Florida

Miami's vulnerability is well known, but emergency planners say generations of political leaders have failed to invest the billions needed to keep flood-control systems up to date.

"This is not something that just occurred overnight," said Fugate, who dealt with nearly a dozen hurricanes as Florida's emergency management director before joining FEMA. "A lot of decisions by a lot of people over a long period of time. It's a shared responsibility. The question is: Is there the political will to start addressing that?"

Local leaders have been able to sidestep that question for decades because of the region's incredible meteorological luck. Even when Hurricane Andrew tore through in 1992 as a top-rated Category 5 storm, it moved quickly, brought low storm surge, little rain and made landfall 30 miles south of downtown Miami.
Miami is a huge sitting duck for the next hurricane
"..........
2.6 Existing Drainage Concerns

The Study Team contacted FDOT District Six maintenance personnel to discuss maintenance concerns as they relate to drainage. Items of particular concern were localized ponding in the swales/infields or flooding in the travel lanes. Based on information obtained, incidents of flooding have been reported at the NW 7th Avenue extension to US 441. Flooding at this location has been reported as early as 2004 and as late as 2010. Most of the flooding issues seem to be attributed to deficiencies in the drainage system as well as clogged drainage inlets.

http://www.fdotmiamidade.com/pde-pr...428358-1_Stormwater_Management-April_2014.pdf

01-29-BeachPump.jpg

01-29-BeachPump.jpg

Sure, bureaucrats can't steal taxpayers cash if they don't have a means of liberating it from them first. The simple fact is the Miami problems are well known, have been known, and have NOTHING to do with the so called sea level rise. It has to do with the fact that the beaches are eroded away because the streams that used to renew them have all been dammed up.

But that is called science, and we all know you anti science religious nutters don't DO science.

Sea level rise shown to drive coastal erosion
Authors

• Keqi Zhang,
  • Bruce C. Douglas

Abstract

Our research has shown that an important relationship exists between sea level rise and sandy beach erosion. The link is highly multiplicative, with the long-term shoreline retreat rate averaging about 150 times that of sea level rise. For example, a sustained rise of 10 cm in sea level could result in 15 m of shoreline erosion. Such an amount is more than an order of magnitude greater than would be expected from a simple response to sea level rise through inundation of the shoreline.

Sea level is certainly only one of many factors causing long-term beach change. Shoreline revisions from inlet dynamics and coastal engineering projects are more pronounced in most areas of the US. east coast and tend to mask the effect of a rise in sea level even over extended intervals. The implication is that sea level rise is a secondary but inexorable cause of beach erosion in such areas.

Sea level rise shown to drive coastal erosion

Science, Mr. Westwall, science.

Timing and magnitude of recent accelerated sea-level rise (North Carolina, United States)
  1. Andrew C. Kemp1,*,
  2. Benjamin P. Horton1,*,
  3. Stephen J. Culver2,
  4. D. Reide Corbett2,
  5. Orson van de Plassche3,
  6. W. Roland Gehrels4,
  7. Bruce C. Douglas5 and
  8. Andrew C. Parnell6
+Author Affiliations

1. *E-mails: [email protected]; [email protected].
Abstract
We provide records of relative sea level since A.D. 1500 from two salt marshes in North Carolina to complement existing tide-gauge records and to determine when recent rates of accelerated sea-level rise commenced. Reconstructions were developed using foraminifera-based transfer functions and composite chronologies, which were validated against regional twentieth century tide-gauge records. The measured rate of relative sea-level rise in North Carolina during the twentieth century was 3.0–3.3 mm/a, consisting of a background rate of ~1 mm/a, plus an abrupt increase of 2.2 mm/a, which began between A.D. 1879 and 1915. This acceleration is broadly synchronous with other studies from the Atlantic coast. The magnitude of the acceleration at both sites is larger than at sites farther north along the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic coast and may be indicative of a latitudinal trend.

Timing and magnitude of recent accelerated sea-level rise (North Carolina, United States)

More science.

Forum List

Back