The law forbidding Hillary from deleting emails, bans her from holding ANY office if she violates it

Hillary's attorney, David Kendall, is quoted here about the server Hillary had used to store and process all her emails, saying: "no emails ... reside on the server or on any backup systems associated with the server."

In other words, the server has been wiped clean, with all emails that were on it, permanently deleted.

That's an interesting statement, coming from a lawyer.

Hillary has said that she decided for us, which emails she would allow us to see. She printed those out on paper, and then erased all the emails she thought we should not see. Her excuse was that she had decided they were not "work related". Now her lawyer says she erased ALL the emails on the server, apparently after preserving non-machine-searchable copies of some of them on paper.

Have a look at US Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 101, Section 2071. It's a Federal law governing such things.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally

(a) Whoever willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, or destroys, or attempts to do so, or, with intent to do so takes and carries away
any record, proceeding, map, book, paper, document, or other thing, filed or deposited with any clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

(b) Whoever, having the custody of
any such record, proceeding, map, book, document, paper, or other thing, willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both; and shall forfeit his office and be disqualified from holding any office under the United States.

Note that this applies to "any record" held by a public official, not just the ones the person decides it's OK for us to see, or wants to withhold because an email is "personal".

In other words, with her legal representative stating that she destroyed the records she possessed and had decided not to allow us to see, she is now disqualified from holding any office. Including President. Barred by Federal law.

From her lawyer's mouth.

The big question: Will she obey this law???

------------------------------------------------------

Gowdy Clinton wiped email server clean deleted all emails - Yahoo News

Clinton wiped email server clean, deleted all emails

Associated Press
By MATTHEW DALY
45 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton wiped her email server "clean," permanently deleting all emails from it, the Republican chairman of a House committee investigating the 2012 Benghazi attacks said Friday.

Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., said the former secretary of state has failed to produce a single new document in recent weeks and has refused to relinquish her server to a third party for an independent review, as Gowdy has requested.

Clinton's attorney, David Kendall, said Gowdy was looking in the wrong place.

In a six-page letter released late Friday, Kendall said Clinton had turned over to the State Department all work-related emails sent or received during her tenure as secretary of state from 2009 to 2013.

"The Department of State is therefore in possession of all Secretary Clinton's work-related emails from the (personal email) account," Kendall wrote.

Kendall also said it would be pointless for Clinton to turn over her server, even if legally authorized, since "no emails ... reside on the server or on any backup systems associated with the server."

You are an idiot. Private e-mails are not public records.

the idiot RW have brought this subject up countless times ... countless times they get their ass handed back to them ...

if they weren't SOOOOOOOOOO damn dumb they would/should learn... but nooooooooo

:lmao:

First the wheels of congressional investigations turn slowly and with this one being aimed at Hilary Clinton those pursuing this case will be even more cautious. So Congress is far from getting their asses handed to them. My question for you is that if Mrs. Clinton can score political points by handing the WR their asses on this subject then why is it that the former Secretary of State has chosen not to speak to the press for three weeks now? Why is she hiding from those who once was her most ardent supporters? Do you really think that this behavior will go unpunished? Perhaps she is hoping that this will all go away and refuses to speak to the press until it is forgotten. I think that scenario is highly unlikely since much of the information about this is sourced from the New York Times, which the last time I checked, is not considered a bastion of WR thinking. But the junior senator from New York has a much larger problem, which is how to distance herself from the current administration that according to Rasmussen has an approval rate of 23%. That number rivals Bush's lowest poll numbers. There is no way for the President to allow her to distance her campaign from his administration without causing harm to his current policy or his legacy. Please respond but not if you are unwilling to stop with sarcasm and truly want an actual debate......

a much better question ..

Q;
why isn't every Republican in Congress trying to hand her ass head over this. They are bound by oath to make sure the law is obeyed>

A;
the law regarding emails was passed after she was out of office for two years.

```````````````````

I used to drive 70 on some highways. They changed the speed limit to 55.

so write me a ticket for a law I wasn't breaking then.

idiots ........

The Congress is continuing to investigate. It is Hilary that is stonewalling. If the law did not exist at the time , which I can only take your word for, the policy of the time did. Also, how can we KNOW that all of those e-mails were personal. If they were personal Mrs. Clinton should at least turn them over to the third-party investigative agency, but she conveniently deleted them after Congress requested she produce them. If Nixon was forced to resign after erasing a few seconds of tape, while shouldn't Mrs. Clinton be held to the same standards for erasing thousands of e-mails? Also, you chose to ignore my other questions so I can only assume that you have no response. Finally, please stop name-calling it only distracts and weakens what you are trying to say.

The Congress is continuing to investigate. It is Hilary that is stonewalling. If the law did not exist at the time , which I can only take your word for, the policy of the time did. Also, how can we KNOW that all of those e-mails were personal. If they were personal Mrs. Clinton should at least turn them over to the third-party investigative agency, but she conveniently deleted them after Congress requested she produce them. If Nixon was forced to resign after erasing a few seconds of tape, while shouldn't Mrs. Clinton be held to the same standards for erasing thousands of e-mails? Also, you chose to ignore my other questions so I can only assume that you have no response. Finally, please stop name-calling it only distracts and weakens what you are trying to say.

your other questions are moot. No law was broken when she held office.

End of story.

Well......the birth certificate claim never went anywhere, so the RW loons gotta hang their hats on something. It gives them.......wait for it.......wait for it......Hope....

End of story.
Thank you for not calling names. Even if the law was not broken, Mrs. Clinton did violate several departmental policies and directives. My other questions in my first post of course dealt with the election not law. I feel these were valid questions even though they overreached the initial topic, so they were not moot. (By the way I liked that you used the correct spelling of moot- very nice!) Anyway would address some of the other concerns I raised about the issues in the Clinton presidential campaign. I would genuinely enjoy reading your viewpoint.

End of story.
Thank you for not calling names. Even if the law was not broken, Mrs. Clinton did violate several departmental policies and directives. My other questions in my first post of course dealt with the election not law. I feel these were valid questions even though they overreached the initial topic, so they were not moot. (By the way I liked that you used the correct spelling of moot- very nice!) Anyway would address some of the other concerns I raised about the issues in the Clinton presidential campaign. I would genuinely enjoy reading your viewpoint.

I'm about 99% sure I won't vote for Clinton. There's that 1% chance the GOP might force me if they nominate some goon like Cruz.

End of story.

I'm about 99% sure I won't vote for Clinton. There's that 1% chance the GOP might force me if they nominate some goon like Cruz.

I share your sentiment but one must wonder if this election will be a DNC of Clinton, like predicted, what other Democratic candidate will be overlooked as the Clintite Lemmings march to the sea?

Personally I like former Virginia Senator Jim Webb, but I doubt he can survive the Clinton machine. I think in my heart I see a Clinton-Bush rematch. Jeb had some big hurdles to overcome. The names will win out in the end.

Yeah good luck with that.
TRANSLATION: Laws are for the little people, not for us. We Democrats will get away with it anyway.

Personal records aren't what is being discussed. Per your rather expansive definition of 'records', if any public official were to jot down a shopping list at home, its a 'record is possession of a public official'. And throwing their shopping list would be a punishable offense.

As Old School said, 'good luck with that'.

Hillary's attorney, David Kendall, is quoted here about the server Hillary had used to store and process all her emails, saying: "no emails ... reside on the server or on any backup systems associated with the server."

In other words, the server has been wiped clean, with all emails that were on it, permanently deleted.

Hillary has said that she decided for us, which emails she would allow us to see. She printed those out on paper, and then erased all the emails she thought we should not see. Her excuse was that she had decided they were not "work related". Now her lawyer says she erased ALL the emails on the server, apparently after preserving non-machine-searchable copies of some of them on paper.

Have a look at US Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 101, Section 2071. It's a Federal law governing such things.

(a) Whoever willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, or destroys, or attempts to do so, or, with intent to do so takes and carries away
any record, proceeding, map, book, paper, document, or other thing, filed or deposited with any clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

any such record, proceeding, map, book, document, paper, or other thing, willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both; and shall forfeit his office and be disqualified from holding any office under the United States.

Note that this applies to "any record" held by a public official, not just the ones the person decides it's OK for us to see, or wants to withhold because an email is "personal".

In other words, with her legal representative stating that she destroyed the records she possessed and had decided not to allow us to see, she is now disqualified from holding any office. Including President. Barred by Federal law.

From her lawyer's mouth.

Associated Press
By MATTHEW DALY
45 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton wiped her email server "clean," permanently deleting all emails from it, the Republican chairman of a House committee investigating the 2012 Benghazi attacks said Friday.

Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., said the former secretary of state has failed to produce a single new document in recent weeks and has refused to relinquish her server to a third party for an independent review, as Gowdy has requested.

In a six-page letter released late Friday, Kendall said Clinton had turned over to the State Department all work-related emails sent or received during her tenure as secretary of state from 2009 to 2013.

"The Department of State is therefore in possession of all Secretary Clinton's work-related emails from the (personal email) account," Kendall wrote.

Kendall also said it would be pointless for Clinton to turn over her server, even if legally authorized, since "no emails ... reside on the server or on any backup systems associated with the server."
A key aspect of that statute in regards to her email is, "filed or deposited with any clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United States"

For Hillary to have violated that law requires that she destroyed email which had been "filed or deposited" with at least one of the specified jurisdictions. Not sure how that can be proved without the email?

Personally I like former Virginia Senator Jim Webb, but I doubt he can survive the Clinton machine. I think in my heart I see a Clinton-Bush rematch. Jeb had some big hurdles to overcome. The names will win out in the end.

If there is a Clinton-Bush presidential election as you predict perhaps it could sponsored by Samsonite Luggage. With the slogan "Your President and all the baggage they can carry". LOL

regardless, the law regarding electronic transmissions aka email was passed 2 years after she left office by Republicans, signed by Obama.
(patiently)

The law quoted in the OP was passed in 1948, and last modified in 1994 (by a Democrat-controlled House, Dem-controlled Senate, and signed by Democrat president Bill Clinton).

If Hillary violated it (and it's quite clear that she did, admitted by her own lawyer, long after it was passed), she is banned from holding any public office. Including President.

Yeah good luck with that.
TRANSLATION: Laws are for the little people, not for us. We Democrats will get away with it anyway.

Personal records aren't what is being discussed. Per your rather expansive definition of 'records', if any public official were to jot down a shopping list at home, its a 'record is possession of a public official'. And throwing their shopping list would be a punishable offense.

As Old School said, 'good luck with that'.

Actually, the definition of records isn't like that at all.

It's very simple. All her correspondence for the State Department were supposed to happen on the official server. Hillary in stead used her own, giving her direct control over what should have been government record from the moment it was sent, then decided on her own which correspondences were revelant and deleted the rest. All of this while her foundation is taking donations from foreign entities, and we're supposed to take her word that using her own server had nothing to do with the apparent conflict of interest, AND take her word for the evidence -she- coughed up being all the relevant evidence? Since when do we trust suspects to dictate the scope and direction of their own investigations? If some CEO had pulled some, "I gave you all the relevant evidence and destroyed the rest of what you wanted to look at because it didn't relate to the case" type shit, every Democrat from here to that CEOS pocket would be calling bullshit, and rightly so. But when it's one of our exalted progressive leaders, their word is basically gospel. Hillary says none of it was relevant and people actually claim that this -proves- her innocence. I can't begin to find an insulting enough synonym for sycophant to do these worshipers justice.

From her lawyer's mouth.

Associated Press
By MATTHEW DALY
45 minutes ago

You are an idiot. Private e-mails are not public records.
Are you saying Hillary was using government assets to conduct personal business?

From her lawyer's mouth.

Associated Press
By MATTHEW DALY
45 minutes ago

A key aspect of that statute in regards to her email is, "filed or deposited with any clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United States"

For Hillary to have violated that law requires that she destroyed email which had been "filed or deposited" with at least one of the specified jurisdictions. Not sure how that can be proved without the email?
Normally there's an smtp server and the sending / receiving computers... oh yeah and the NSA copies all of our emails as well...

From her lawyer's mouth.

Associated Press
By MATTHEW DALY
45 minutes ago

The Clintons are masters at getting away with crime. Bill and Hillary are doing what they normally do.

If you mean the Clintons are very good at proving all the right wing claims and accusations made against them are just so much manufactured crap, you are correct. It must be embarrassing for you to try so hard to come up with something that holds water, but fail miserably every time.

If you mean the Clintons are very good at proving all the right wing claims and accusations made against them are just so much manufactured crap, you are correct. It must be embarrassing for you to try so hard to come up with something that holds water, but fail miserably every time.
The Clintons have never proved anything.

They shred evidence, delete crucial emails, lose records, hold meetings in secret, refuse to answer questions, conduct official business on private servers that govt oversight cannot reach, ignore subpoenas, and deny and deflect everything they can. Then they clam up and sit back and wait for others to prove anything against them, after they have eliminated all evidence of what they have done.

The Clintons have never proved anything.

They shred evidence, delete crucial emails, lose records, refuse to answer questions, ignore subpoenas, and deny and deflect everything they can. Then they clam up and sit back and wait for others to prove anything against them, after they have eliminated all evidence of what they have done.
You and I do that... or any Republican ... and it's jail time if we don't get a "presidential pardon." Democrats... meh, they are above the law.

Forum List

Back