The liberal mythology of healthcare being a right

I know damned well what he means...The "rights" are all held by the ruling class, to be dealt out to the proles in the way they best see fit...This is a state where gubmint (i.e. "society") is God.

He's a closeted communist....Simple as that.

^ That's an irrational emotionalistic response, not one that addressed the post.

If God isn't real, than the "certain unalienable rights" were not endowed upon us by "our creator," but by the authors who put the words to paper. That's just reality for an atheist, not an appeal to any authority <--you read that into the phrase on your own because you cannot accept that some people simply don't believe in God.

Belief in God is not a prerequisit to believing in Freedom & Liberty. That's irrational/illogical.

I'm an atheist, but I'm also a believer in natural rights. How does your theory explain that. "Your creator" can be translated to mean "nature." Rights are something you are born with. Government doesn't create them.

I know damned well what he means...The "rights" are all held by the ruling class, to be dealt out to the proles in the way they best see fit...This is a state where gubmint (i.e. "society") is God.

He's a closeted communist....Simple as that.

^ That's an irrational emotionalistic response, not one that addressed the post.

If God isn't real, than the "certain unalienable rights" were not endowed upon us by "our creator," but by the authors who put the words to paper. That's just reality for an atheist, not an appeal to any authority <--you read that into the phrase on your own because you cannot accept that some people simply don't believe in God.

Belief in God is not a prerequisit to believing in Freedom & Liberty. That's irrational/illogical.

I'm an atheist, but I'm also a believer in natural rights. How does your theory explain that. "Your creator" can be translated to mean "nature." Rights are something you are born with. Government doesn't create them.

You can believe you're born with them all you want, but you can't logically prove it at all, which is why it was made into law.

I think that view is obtusely literal. The idea of god-given rights isn't a religious concept. It's a statement that rights are a consequence of existence, they are freedoms you have by default and can only be take from you by other people interfering - by others actively violating your rights. We establish government to protect those rights, not 'create' them.

While I agree with the first part, your argument still maintains that without a god rights, and their preservation, exist as social reality, not objectively. Such rights can only be recognized to exist, and subsequently protected, upon agreement of the society. For example, our right to free speech is something that our society recognizes and has agreed to protect. If not for that, then that right would de facto not exist anymore than our non-existent right to smoke pot.

You can believe you're born with them all you want, but you can't logically prove it at all, which is why it was made into law.

Obviously wrong. According to your theory, rights are indistinguishable from the law. That would mean that Nazis didn't violate anyone's rights when they put Jews in gas ovens.

According to what? If it's according to you, or any humans - than it's a human concept not a divine one.

If it's according to God - than it's merely inapplicable to an atheist.

Is the law of gravity a human concept or a divine one?

Just as there are natural principles involved in growing a bacteria culture, there are also principles for developing a healthy society. Those principles are called "rights."

By this analysis, health care would have to be a right.

Just as there are natural principles involved in growing a bacteria culture, there are also principles for developing a healthy society. Those principles are called "rights."

Only if you're a really shallow liberal toady who doesn't think.

Using compulsion on innocent people is not a principle that leads to a healthy society.

Obviously wrong. According to your theory, rights are indistinguishable from the law. That would mean that Nazis didn't violate anyone's rights when they put Jews in gas ovens.

No, by my theory laws are theorized by human beings based on what is considered morally right in the context of current society.....same as it's always been.

That you answer posts with "nope" and "wrong" is you just being a dickhead, I can't help you there with your pompass arrogance.

Compulsion is not a principle that leads to a healthy society.

Compulsion is implicit in the acceptance of any social rule of any kind. If you have the right to free speech, and I'm supposed to honor that, then I am in fact compelled toward an action. In any event, that has nothing to do with what I was saying in the first place. If natural rights arise from "principles" that develop a healthy society, then health care would be a right. A healthy society does not develop when people are needlessly dying and suffering from treatable health problems.

According to what? If it's according to you, or any humans - than it's a human concept not a divine one.

If it's according to God - than it's merely inapplicable to an atheist.

Is the law of gravity a human concept or a divine one?

The Law of Gravity is observable.

So are the effects of violating people's rights. Witness the collapse of the Soviet Union, for example.

Compulsion is not a principle that leads to a healthy society.

Compulsion is implicit in the acceptance of any social rule of any kind. If you have the right to free speech, and I'm supposed to honor that, then I am in fact compelled toward an action.

I should be more precise: Initiation of force is what is harmful to society. "Compulsion" means the use of force or the threat of force. Some feeling you may have isn't compulsion. If the swat team comes, breaks your door down, and hauls you off to jail, then you are being compelled.

[In any event, that has nothing to do with what I was saying in the first place. If natural rights arise from "principles" that develop a healthy society, then health care would be a right. A healthy society does not develop when people are needlessly dying and suffering from treatable health problems.

Sorry, but simply claiming it should be a right doesn't prove that it is a right. Compulsory healthcare is harmfull by definition because it requires initiating the use of force against innocent people.

The Law of Gravity is observable.

So are the effects of violating people's rights. Witness the collapse of the Soviet Union, for example.

That literally doesn't mean anything at all to the conversation of how rights are concluded.

Sure it does. The Soviet Union was a sick society. it collapsed because a society based on compulsion is harmful to human beings.

Forum List

Back