The lottery up to a billion now !!!

But how is the machine beating the odds against it producing a sequence of numbers to win against those odds ????????????????????
Think of it this way. If you flip 3 nickels, your chances of getting all three to be heads is 8 to 1. But if you flip all 3 nickels 8 times that doesn't mean you WILL get all heads in the 8 tries. I don't know how many lottery tickets were sold last night but if it is more than 300 million, the odds were that someone SHOULD have won but on one did. The more tickets over 300 million sold increases the chances of a matching ticket.
Any machine or ping pong ball set up can't continue winning this far out against the odds against it is my opinion..... Otherwise the machine keeps winning against the odds of millions upon millions playing against it continually winning, otherwise as they keep losing, so how is the machine (not us), beating those odds ??????

Remember, I'M not talking about the players odds on winning against the machine, but rather I'm talking about the odds against the machine, and it continually winning against the amount of players playing against it.
But we don't have any reason to believe that this ping pong ball machine is any less "random" then a computer algorithm designed to shoose numbers at random. Studies have been done on this, and especially so by those who want the lottery to go away. Despite their desire for the study to show a bias, the studies did not show this.

Furthermore, even computer random number generators (RNGs) are not truly random, and instead approximate randomness. One can make a strong argument that the physics of these balls arranged in a different starting configuration each time and bouncing off of each other unpredictably is even more random than these computer algorithms.
Just like with us as ticket holders, it's all about the odds against us when playing, but I can't figure out how the machine is holding out against the odds it's playing against as well. :dunno:
Well,considering the odds are still stacked against everyone, it wouldn't be beyond reason for the power Ball to go 1000 more weeks without a winner. What should be more surprising is that anyone ever wins at all. They only way we overcome these 300,000,000 to 1 odds is by sheer carpet bombing. And even then, I don't believe it has ever been the case that anything even approaching all 300,000,000 combinations have been chosen in any cycle.

If I bought 300,000,000 lottery tickets covering all possible combinations of numbers...and it took me 5 seconds to buy one ticket, it would take...um...carry the 5...um 1,578.29 days to buy all those tickets.

Or about four and a half years if I needed a few potty breaks.

But how is the machine beating the odds against it producing a sequence of numbers to win against those odds ????????????????????
Think of it this way. If you flip 3 nickels, your chances of getting all three to be heads is 8 to 1. But if you flip all 3 nickels 8 times that doesn't mean you WILL get all heads in the 8 tries. I don't know how many lottery tickets were sold last night but if it is more than 300 million, the odds were that someone SHOULD have won but on one did. The more tickets over 300 million sold increases the chances of a matching ticket.
Any machine or ping pong ball set up can't continue winning this far out against the odds against it is my opinion..... Otherwise the machine keeps winning against the odds of millions upon millions playing against it continually winning, otherwise as they keep losing, so how is the machine (not us), beating those odds ??????

Remember, I'M not talking about the players odds on winning against the machine, but rather I'm talking about the odds against the machine, and it continually winning against the amount of players playing against it.
But we don't have any reason to believe that this ping pong ball machine is any less "random" then a computer algorithm designed to shoose numbers at random. Studies have been done on this, and especially so by those who want the lottery to go away. Despite their desire for the study to show a bias, the studies did not show this.

Furthermore, even computer random number generators (RNGs) are not truly random, and instead approximate randomness. One can make a strong argument that the physics of these balls arranged in a different starting configuration each time and bouncing off of each other unpredictably is even more random than these computer algorithms.
Just like with us as ticket holders, it's all about the odds against us when playing, but I can't figure out how the machine is holding out against the odds it's playing against as well. :dunno:
Well,considering the odds are still stacked against everyone, it wouldn't be beyond reason for the power Ball to go 1000 more weeks without a winner. What should be more surprising is that anyone ever wins at all. They only way we overcome these 300,000,000 to 1 odds is by sheer carpet bombing. And even then, I don't believe it has ever been the case that anything even approaching all 300,000,000 combinations have been chosen in any cycle.
The odds against the machine not spitting out a winning sequence against millions upon millions holding various sequences against it, makes it highly suspect to me.

If I bought 300,000,000 lottery tickets covering all possible combinations of numers...and it took me 5 seconds to buy one ticket, it would take...um...carry the 5...um 1,578.29 days to buy all those tickets.

Go right ahead and do that. Do you understand why nobody does that? It is because you could end up winning and still having to share your prize with several other people, resulting in a loss for you. Furthermore, the logistics are not possible, as no business owner would allow you to monopolize his business for that amount of time.

Also, 600,000,000 tickets could be sold, and still only one third the possible combinations held by players due to duplicate combinations on their tickets.

y'all can save your money, I already have the winning ticket for Tuesday

and I'm taking it all in change.

th

The odds against the machine not spitting out a winning sequence against millions upon millions holding various sequences against it, makes it highly suspect to me.
Unless you have calculated those odds, you are not actually operating from any true understanding of the odds, and instead are professing baseless mathematical factoids from your gut.

Unless you have calculated those odds, you are not actually operating from any true understanding of the odds, and instead are professing baseless mathematical factoids from your gut.
Ok, so they are telling us the amount of odds we have of winning, but have you ever thought about the odds the machine has against it to not throw out the winning sequence found in the odds that it is playing against ???

Otherwise how does any lottery get this large when think about it ???? Seems impossible to me.

If I bought 300,000,000 lottery tickets covering all possible combinations of numers...and it took me 5 seconds to buy one ticket, it would take...um...carry the 5...um 1,578.29 days to buy all those tickets.

Go right ahead and do that. Do you understand why nobody does that? It is because you could end up winning and still having to share your prize with several other people, resulting in a loss for you. Furthermore, the logistics are not possible, as no business owner would allow you to monopolize his business for that amount of time.

Also, 600,000,000 tickets could be sold, and still only one third the possible combinations held by players due to duplicate combinations on their tickets.

That has sort of been the point of my last four posts. Thanks.

If it only gets up to 2 billion it would be interesting.. right now it's only what 500 million after taxes? Big deal.

but have you ever thought about the odds the machine has against it to not throw out the winning sequence found in the odds that it is playing against ???
An honest inquiry of this would be to have at your disposal all of the combinations held by players and then compare that to the odds that the machine will choose one of these numbers. Eventually the lotteries cash out and start over, as more players enter the game. Exactly as we would expect.

but have you ever thought about the odds the machine has against it to not throw out the winning sequence found in the odds that it is playing against ???
An honest inquiry of this would be to have at your disposal all of the combinations held by players and then compare that to the odds that the machine will choose one of these numbers. Eventually the lotteries cash out and start over, as more players enter the game. Exactly as we would expect.
How is the machine holding out against such odds, but yes I see what you are saying (no crystal ball), to tell us the millions of sequences held against that drawing, and how the machine escapes again and again against those sequences or odds.

If I hit I will retire and spend my remaining days on hooter island so I can bust daily nuts

Forum List

Back