The MAGA movement seems not to have learned an important lesson.

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017

In Indiana, the MAGA Revolution Eats Its Own

The Indiana governor’s race should not, under normal circumstances, be remotely competitive. In 2020, Donald Trump won the state by 16 percentage points, and the current Republican governor, Eric Holcomb, won by more than 20. All the state’s leading officials are Republicans, and the party has supermajorities in both legislative chambers.

But after the Republican convention this weekend, the influential conservative lawyer James Bopp Jr. wrote, in a confidential memo obtained by Politico’s Adam Wren, that there’s a “serious threat” to the party’s nominee for governor, Senator Mike Braun.

That threat is Micah Beckwith, a Pentecostal pastor, podcaster and self-described Christian nationalist who was just chosen, despite Braun’s wishes, to be his running mate. Ordinarily, The Indianapolis Star reports, convention delegates rubber-stamp their candidate’s choice of lieutenant. But this year, they rebelled, rejecting Braun’s selection, a state representative named Julie McGuire, for Beckwith, who embodies the combative spiritual fervor ascendant among the party’s grass-roots. As a result, wrote Bopp, “Democrats have a real opportunity to launch a serious campaign in the fall because of Beckwith’s nomination, and it has already begun.”

The lesson being the general public tends to reject the kind of extremists they favor. It happened in a number of winnable races in the last few election cycles when more moderate candidates were defeated in the primaries. Leaving more radical ones, often endorsed by the Orange Menace, to lose in the general.

Last edited:

The Indiana governor’s race should not, under normal circumstances, be remotely competitive. In 2020, Donald Trump won the state by 16 percentage points, and the current Republican governor, Eric Holcomb, won by more than 20. All the state’s leading officials are Republicans, and the party has supermajorities in both legislative chambers.

But after the Republican convention this weekend, the influential conservative lawyer James Bopp Jr. wrote, in a confidential memo obtained by Politico’s Adam Wren, that there’s a “serious threat” to the party’s nominee for governor, Senator Mike Braun.

That threat is Micah Beckwith, a Pentecostal pastor, podcaster and self-described Christian nationalist who was just chosen, despite Braun’s wishes, to be his running mate. Ordinarily, The Indianapolis Star reports, convention delegates rubber-stamp their candidate’s choice of lieutenant. But this year, they rebelled, rejecting Braun’s selection, a state representative named Julie McGuire, for Beckwith, who embodies the combative spiritual fervor ascendant among the party’s grass-roots. As a result, wrote Bopp, “Democrats have a real opportunity to launch a serious campaign in the fall because of Beckwith’s nomination, and it has already begun.”

The lesson being the general public tends to reject the kind of extremists they favor. It happened in a number of winnable races in the last few election cycles when more moderate candidates were defeated in the primaries. Leaving more radical ones, often endorsed by the Orange Menace, to lose in the general.
maybe there is a self correcting feedback mechanism here? as the candidates become more extreme the voters eventually catch on to their scam.

Over-reaching, the great American pastime.
Beckwith’s elevation is the latest sign of a conflict splitting Republican parties nationwide, as G.O.P. activists demand ever greater levels of purity and belligerence from their leaders. I’ve written about this in Minnesota, where delegates to the state convention endorsed the Alex Jones acolyte Royce White for Senate, and in Colorado, where the state party recently called for the burning of Pride flags. Cadres of true believers inspired by Donald Trump, and by the religious movement that sees him as divinely ordained, are seizing the party from the bottom up, much to the consternation of more traditional Republicans who thought they could indulge the MAGA movement without being overtaken by it.

To succeed in POT politics these days you must be prepared to move very far to the right. Or suck as much of Trump's ass as is humanly possible.

maybe there is a self correcting feedback mechanism here? as the candidates become more extreme the voters eventually catch on to their scam.
One hopes that there is. But gerrymandering has gone a long way to protect The Crazy with respect to House seats. How else could folks like Gosar, Boebert, and MTG survive?

The MALA movement, Make America Last Again, is in complete denial about the failure of their Regime and the historically bad polls leading into the debates.

Beckwith’s elevation is the latest sign of a conflict splitting Republican parties nationwide, as G.O.P. activists demand ever greater levels of purity and belligerence from their leaders. I’ve written about this in Minnesota, where delegates to the state convention endorsed the Alex Jones acolyte Royce White for Senate, and in Colorado, where the state party recently called for the burning of Pride flags. Cadres of true believers inspired by Donald Trump, and by the religious movement that sees him as divinely ordained, are seizing the party from the bottom up, much to the consternation of more traditional Republicans who thought they could indulge the MAGA movement without being overtaken by it.

To succeed in POT politics these days you must be prepared to move very far to the right. Or suck as much of Trump's ass as is humanly possible.
to succeed in trump party politics his psychophants must don the red slave collars and leashes he provides (conveniently measuring their necks for the next time his proud boys build a gallows.) and amen his call and response.

The MALA movement, Make America Last Again, is in complete denial about the failure of their Regime and the historically bad polls leading into the debates.
I am painfully aware of how effective right wing propaganda has been in convincing the minions to support a rapist, a tax cheat, a convicted felon, and the former leader of a failed admin.

I am painfully aware of how effective right wing propaganda has been in convincing the minions to support a rapist, a tax cheat, and a convicted felon.
it is really incredible, berg. i would literally vote for any citizen of the usa over 35 years old that was running against this loser, so they think my 300,000,000 th choice is gods gift to america?

i just do not get it.

You are free to refute anything you find to be factually inaccurate.

It's an opinion piece. I have a different opinion. I need nothing to back that up. You posted no facts, did you even read it? It's an opinion about a pastor. I don't give a shit what the new york slimes says. An opinion is just that. It's not a fact, so facts don't need to be used to refute it. Just a different opinion.

Last edited:
I am painfully aware of how effective right wing propaganda has been in convincing the minions to support a rapist, a tax cheat, a convicted felon, and the former leader of a failed admin.
I am looking at the traitors at the White House right now. You can see the craziness on their faces. They would support agendas that guarantee their demise and many others. Talking with forked tongue...Snakes in the grass and people too stupid to realize it. Today's agenda is DACA and talking families while they have destroyed them. Yep. Snakes in the grass.

Forum List

Back