The Most Religious Red States Also Consume the Most Antidepressants

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010

For much of the world’s population, religious belief systems inform their world view by relating humanity to spirituality and, more often than not, to values that give meaning to life by providing adherents morality, ethics, and directions for their preferred lifestyle. In America, forty percent of the population considers themselves very religious, and they claim, without apology, that their worldview and reason for living derives from their strict adherence to Christianity; the primary religion in this country. It should come as no surprise that the most religious regions of the country are located in southern states, and a recent poll revealed that, indeed, except for Utah (56%), well over 50% of the population in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and Oklahoma consider themselves to be very religious, and they are very depressed.

In a study conducted between 2000 and 2006 by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer, they discovered that the most religious states have the highest percentage of the population using some kind of anti-depressant drug. The comprehensive study focused on the implications and numerous challenges of managing prescription drug costs, and they focused on the “sociodemographic forces influencing the use of prescription drugs,” but they did not examine the role religion plays in the higher-than-average use of anti-depressants. It is quite possible, and likely, that “very religious” Christians are having difficulty reconciling their Christ-centered beliefs with the direction American Christianity is going, and the conflicts inherent with adhering to archaic knowledge and understanding of the world while living in the 21st century where science and empirical data contradicts the superstitious and antiquated “facts” contained in the Christian bible.

Faith in Christ is supposed to be succor to the afflicted, and give hope to his followers that living a life of charity and love for all human kind is the path to happiness now and earns the reward of life eternal in Christ’s presence in Heaven. However, the trend among many Christians is rejecting the tenets of Christ’s message for harsh Old Testament edicts meant to instill fear and guilt endemic to disobeying god’s laws instead of love of neighbor, and it must affect the mental state of adherents struggling to reconcile Christ’s love with the Old Testament message of an angry and wrathful “god of love.” It is no wonder the “very religious” are depressed when they read in their bible that Christ commanded the rich to give away all their belongings to the poor to enter into Heaven, and yet their clergy preach support of politicians who take from the poor to give to the rich. Are they compensating for their religious dilemma by resorting to chemicals to assuage the misery of disobeying their lord and savior, Jesus Christ, or dulling the guilt from causing suffering on their fellow Americans?

*snip*

In a study conducted between 2000 and 2006 by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer, they discovered that the most religious states have the highest percentage of the population using some kind of anti-depressant drug. The comprehensive study focused on the implications and numerous challenges of managing prescription drug costs, and they focused on the “sociodemographic forces influencing the use of prescription drugs,” but they did not examine the role religion plays in the higher-than-average use of anti-depressants.

'a study conducted by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer'--if they paid for the study--I have heard that the findings may be biased.

Anyway--I have known a good number of people with faith/religious beliefs who seem to be different. Somehow keep a positive attitude and have support systems which enable them to deal with loss and grief of all kinds. They also rely on medical science and may/may not utilize such drugs.

Last edited:
t8uQqHd.png

WOW I'm impressed a study started over 10 years ago and this is proof for the here and now?

Last edited:
This proves that if you pay someone to do a study with a predetermined result, you get the result. This is from some liberal rag that also has a piece on "Proof of the GOP War on Women". Do you need more than that?

I don't think I want to read this. How they determined such a correlation strikes me as 'odd' and there must be so many other factors that should also be evaluated that I cannot think an accurate conclusion could be reached.

In a study conducted between 2000 and 2006 by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer, they discovered that the most religious states have the highest percentage of the population using some kind of anti-depressant drug. The comprehensive study focused on the implications and numerous challenges of managing prescription drug costs, and they focused on the “sociodemographic forces influencing the use of prescription drugs,” but they did not examine the role religion plays in the higher-than-average use of anti-depressants.

'a study conducted by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer'--if they paid for the study--I have heard that the findings may be biased.

Anyway--I have known a good number of people with faith/religious beliefs who seem to be different. Somehow keep a positive attitude and have support systems which enable them to deal with loss and grief of all kinds. They also rely on medical science and may/may not utilize such drugs.

There is quite a bit of denial in your appraisal of this study.

Most of the very religious people I've known are total hypocrites. Twice in the past year met women whom I believed were good women because they presented themselves as very Christian, who went to church every week and talked about how Christian they were. Turned on me like pitbulls, used me and turned on me when it suited them; showed their true colors. I can believe being a Christian or very religious person can cause depression, because such people like to believe they are 'holier' than the rest of us, but they know deep down they are not. Must be a true conflict within the soul.

Last edited:

Why would a pharmaceutical company give two hoots whether or not the people they sell drugs to are religious or not? Why would they be pointedly biased about it? There is no reason for their study to be biased against religious people.

I don't think I want to read this. How they determined such a correlation strikes me as 'odd' and there must be so many other factors that should also be evaluated that I cannot think an accurate conclusion could be reached.

There is quite a bit of denial in your appraisal of this study.

Most of the very religious people I've known are total hypocrits. I experience very awful things twice in the past year because I believed in women who had presented themselves as very Christian, who went to church every week and talked about how Christian they were. Turned on me like pitbulls; showed their true colors. I can believe being a Christian or very religious person can cause depression, because such people like to believe they are 'holier' than the rest of us but they know deep down they are not. Must be a true conflict within the soul.

Fine--if that is your experience that is your experience. I know that the same could be said of me--a hypocrite of the highest order. Some people develop more fully--I am thankful for that.

How far back would we have to go to pinpoint when it was realized that there is a correlation between religion and irrational guilt? I have no idea. Freud--even further back?

Why would a pharmaceutical company give two hoots whether or not the people they sell drugs to are religious or not? Why would they be pointedly biased about it? There is no reason for their study to be biased against religious people.

To me there is no real reason for the study. What do I know--very little.

I must not be as 'cerebral' as others.

eta: I have minimal knowledge/expertise in psychology but had heard about this a few decades ago.
http://psychology.about.com/od/sigmundfreud/p/freud_religion.htm

Last edited:
I always figured most religious were at peace, therfore, happy and glass half full kinda people.. Then I realized that most Christians are lying hypocrites, and that they really have not found peace. It is more of a social gathering for them. Kudos to the true religious.
I am a pretty happy person, glaf half full kinda guy. I have found peace on my own

I always figured most religious were at peace, therfore, happy and glass half full kinda people.. Then I realized that most Christians are lying hypocrites, and that they really have not found peace. It is more of a social gathering for them. Kudos to the true religious.
I am a pretty happy person, glaf half full kinda guy. I have found peace on my own

I know I am tired of analyzing every detail of what makes a human being human.

Yes, human beings of all 'kinds' will try to offer support when there are critical needs. Some won't or can't. Some will be better than others.

From recent experiences I believe society has become overly judgmental. Some of this I attribute to legalism as much or more than religion. I live in a culturally diverse area--yeah me--while walking my dog in a dog park I was 'accused' of animal abuse--he was pulling away from me--tired at the end of his walk and wanted to go home. Then I was spoken to about 'breaking in line' at a CVS. I was in a hurry and the cashier said--'I'll take the next person in line...' I had 2 items and just decided to go. Then I was told I was likely the sort of person who cut in front of others in traffic.

So do we need a study to determine precisely why people respond as they do in every situation?

I try to give the benefit of the doubt --'Bad day'---some previous experience that had nothing to do with me.

I am a Christian and have had my own struggles--have not dealt well with some of life's experiences. For me--religion offers some guidelines on how to be 'better'. The concepts seem to be much the same --however you 'get there'.

Last edited:
I'd be depressed if I lived in Mississippi also, do they have any white only communities there still?

eta: I have minimal knowledge/expertise in psychology but had heard about this a few decades ago.
Freud and Religion - Freud's Views on Religion

The study was not just about anti-depressants. It was about all the drugs they sold. They wanted to know who was buying what. Probably had to do with marketing.

Freud and Religion - Freud's Views on Religion

The study was not just about anti-depressants. It was about all the drugs they sold. They wanted to know who was buying what. Probably had to do with marketing.

I guess they found out what they wanted to know and presumably planned accordingly.

Not certain of its value to the public at large---something to discuss on a message board.

It becomes too tedious for me--that is all I know.

The anti religious nuts ascribe a level of Christianity, then apply that to everyone. When not everyone can live up to the level of Christianity imposed upon them, they are hypocrites. It's right there in Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.

This proves that if you pay someone to do a study with a predetermined result, you get the result. This is from some liberal rag that also has a piece on "Proof of the GOP War on Women". Do you need more than that?

I don't. If it is an academic study I am more inclined to accept the conclusions. And not with every academic study.

'Big pharma' --I have developed cynicism toward that sector for a number of reasons.

They could have reviewed Freud's findings--perhaps they did?

For much of the world’s population, religious belief systems inform their world view by relating humanity to spirituality and, more often than not, to values that give meaning to life by providing adherents morality, ethics, and directions for their preferred lifestyle. In America, forty percent of the population considers themselves very religious, and they claim, without apology, that their worldview and reason for living derives from their strict adherence to Christianity; the primary religion in this country. It should come as no surprise that the most religious regions of the country are located in southern states, and a recent poll revealed that, indeed, except for Utah (56%), well over 50% of the population in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and Oklahoma consider themselves to be very religious, and they are very depressed.

In a study conducted between 2000 and 2006 by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer, they discovered that the most religious states have the highest percentage of the population using some kind of anti-depressant drug. The comprehensive study focused on the implications and numerous challenges of managing prescription drug costs, and they focused on the “sociodemographic forces influencing the use of prescription drugs,” but they did not examine the role religion plays in the higher-than-average use of anti-depressants. It is quite possible, and likely, that “very religious” Christians are having difficulty reconciling their Christ-centered beliefs with the direction American Christianity is going, and the conflicts inherent with adhering to archaic knowledge and understanding of the world while living in the 21st century where science and empirical data contradicts the superstitious and antiquated “facts” contained in the Christian bible.

Faith in Christ is supposed to be succor to the afflicted, and give hope to his followers that living a life of charity and love for all human kind is the path to happiness now and earns the reward of life eternal in Christ’s presence in Heaven. However, the trend among many Christians is rejecting the tenets of Christ’s message for harsh Old Testament edicts meant to instill fear and guilt endemic to disobeying god’s laws instead of love of neighbor, and it must affect the mental state of adherents struggling to reconcile Christ’s love with the Old Testament message of an angry and wrathful “god of love.” It is no wonder the “very religious” are depressed when they read in their bible that Christ commanded the rich to give away all their belongings to the poor to enter into Heaven, and yet their clergy preach support of politicians who take from the poor to give to the rich. Are they compensating for their religious dilemma by resorting to chemicals to assuage the misery of disobeying their lord and savior, Jesus Christ, or dulling the guilt from causing suffering on their fellow Americans?
*snip*

If "a large pharmaceutical manufacturer......did NOT examine the role religion plays in the higher-than-average use of anti-depressants", then WHO built this imaginary bridge between religion and depression?

Atheists like YOU?

Your assumption is laughable. Your dishonesty is disturbing.

Forum List

Back