The Most Religious Red States Also Consume the Most Antidepressants

good grief:doubt:

Generalizing. I've gotten into 'plenty of trouble' from doing that --I can't recommend it. Maybe others have had different experiences.

lol

The gathering of data. Have at it--if that is what you prefer.

The 'judging of others'--seems to be a lesson that I struggle with repeatedly.

~~
Aside from that--my own conclusion--we/society seem to now have 'more than enough' people who are lacking in moral development of the most basic kind and I don't think there are any drugs which are effective with that. It would be a waste of $$$ for a drug company to study that. shrug. Yet that is a greater concern to me.

Generalizing. I've gotten into 'plenty of trouble' from doing that --I can't recommend it. Maybe others have had different experiences.

lol

~~
Aside from that--my own conclusion--we/society seem to now have 'more than enough' people who are lacking in moral development of the most basic kind and I don't think there are any drugs which are effective with that. It would be a waste of $$$ for a drug company to study that. shrug. Yet that is a greater concern to me.

nevermind, I edited the first post, you missed it..

~~

nevermind, I edited the first post, you missed it..

Hopefully, you are not offended beyond your limits.

For much of the world’s population, religious belief systems inform their world view by relating humanity to spirituality and, more often than not, to values that give meaning to life by providing adherents morality, ethics, and directions for their preferred lifestyle. In America, forty percent of the population considers themselves very religious, and they claim, without apology, that their worldview and reason for living derives from their strict adherence to Christianity; the primary religion in this country. It should come as no surprise that the most religious regions of the country are located in southern states, and a recent poll revealed that, indeed, except for Utah (56%), well over 50% of the population in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and Oklahoma consider themselves to be very religious, and they are very depressed.

In a study conducted between 2000 and 2006 by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer, they discovered that the most religious states have the highest percentage of the population using some kind of anti-depressant drug. The comprehensive study focused on the implications and numerous challenges of managing prescription drug costs, and they focused on the “sociodemographic forces influencing the use of prescription drugs,” but they did not examine the role religion plays in the higher-than-average use of anti-depressants. It is quite possible, and likely, that “very religious” Christians are having difficulty reconciling their Christ-centered beliefs with the direction American Christianity is going, and the conflicts inherent with adhering to archaic knowledge and understanding of the world while living in the 21st century where science and empirical data contradicts the superstitious and antiquated “facts” contained in the Christian bible.

Faith in Christ is supposed to be succor to the afflicted, and give hope to his followers that living a life of charity and love for all human kind is the path to happiness now and earns the reward of life eternal in Christ’s presence in Heaven. However, the trend among many Christians is rejecting the tenets of Christ’s message for harsh Old Testament edicts meant to instill fear and guilt endemic to disobeying god’s laws instead of love of neighbor, and it must affect the mental state of adherents struggling to reconcile Christ’s love with the Old Testament message of an angry and wrathful “god of love.” It is no wonder the “very religious” are depressed when they read in their bible that Christ commanded the rich to give away all their belongings to the poor to enter into Heaven, and yet their clergy preach support of politicians who take from the poor to give to the rich. Are they compensating for their religious dilemma by resorting to chemicals to assuage the misery of disobeying their lord and savior, Jesus Christ, or dulling the guilt from causing suffering on their fellow Americans?

*snip*

That's ^^ clearly part of it; a background that stretches credulity beyond reasonable limits. This conclusion doesn't surprise me at all; the inherent internal conflicts would be expected to present some kind of stress.

Seems to me there are two types of those who call themselves "Christian": one sincerely strives to see the good and the positive and draws on that aspect for their fuel. Wavingrl strikes me as an example; I have many relatives like this, and I suspect many of us do. The other type uses the C-word as a self-applied crutch-label to get out of jail free for all manner of selfish, self-righteous and hypocritical transgressions. The deeds of the latter group taints the image of the former.

A whole lot of politicians fall into this second category (if not most), and they do so because we as a people (i.e. we of the second, far more vocal group) demand that they do (witness the murmuring about "is Obama a secret Muslim?"). Its extreme fringe would be the Westboro type. We could I think differentiate these two groups by a single trait: humility, or lack thereof.

When you're infusing yourself with that kind of ethical paradox (group 2), it's inevitable that you'd find yourself literally torn inside. It's the dilemma of conscience. You can turn off the ethics of an organized religion; not so easy to off your own moral compass, whether you acknowledge it's there or not.

IMO this topic should be in the Religion forum. It's a good one.

Last edited:

For much of the world’s population, religious belief systems inform their world view by relating humanity to spirituality and, more often than not, to values that give meaning to life by providing adherents morality, ethics, and directions for their preferred lifestyle. In America, forty percent of the population considers themselves very religious, and they claim, without apology, that their worldview and reason for living derives from their strict adherence to Christianity; the primary religion in this country. It should come as no surprise that the most religious regions of the country are located in southern states, and a recent poll revealed that, indeed, except for Utah (56%), well over 50% of the population in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and Oklahoma consider themselves to be very religious, and they are very depressed.

In a study conducted between 2000 and 2006 by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer, they discovered that the most religious states have the highest percentage of the population using some kind of anti-depressant drug. The comprehensive study focused on the implications and numerous challenges of managing prescription drug costs, and they focused on the “sociodemographic forces influencing the use of prescription drugs,” but they did not examine the role religion plays in the higher-than-average use of anti-depressants. It is quite possible, and likely, that “very religious” Christians are having difficulty reconciling their Christ-centered beliefs with the direction American Christianity is going, and the conflicts inherent with adhering to archaic knowledge and understanding of the world while living in the 21st century where science and empirical data contradicts the superstitious and antiquated “facts” contained in the Christian bible.

Faith in Christ is supposed to be succor to the afflicted, and give hope to his followers that living a life of charity and love for all human kind is the path to happiness now and earns the reward of life eternal in Christ’s presence in Heaven. However, the trend among many Christians is rejecting the tenets of Christ’s message for harsh Old Testament edicts meant to instill fear and guilt endemic to disobeying god’s laws instead of love of neighbor, and it must affect the mental state of adherents struggling to reconcile Christ’s love with the Old Testament message of an angry and wrathful “god of love.” It is no wonder the “very religious” are depressed when they read in their bible that Christ commanded the rich to give away all their belongings to the poor to enter into Heaven, and yet their clergy preach support of politicians who take from the poor to give to the rich. Are they compensating for their religious dilemma by resorting to chemicals to assuage the misery of disobeying their lord and savior, Jesus Christ, or dulling the guilt from causing suffering on their fellow Americans?

*snip*

That's ^^ clearly part of it; a background that stretches credulity beyond reasonable limits. This conclusion doesn't surprise me at all; the inherent internal conflicts would be expected to present some kind of stress.

Seems to me there are two types of those who call themselves "Christian": one sincerely strives to see the good and the positive and draws on that aspect for their fuel. Wavingrl strikes me as an example; I have many relatives like this, and I suspect many of us do. The other type uses the C-word as a self-applied crutch-label to get out of jail free for all manner of selfish, self-righteous and hypocritical transgressions. The deeds of the latter group taints the image of the former.

A whole lot of politicians fall into this second category (if not most), and they do so because we as a people demand that they do (witness the murmuring about "is Obama a secret Muslim?"). Its extreme fringe would be the Westboro type.

When you're infusing yourself with that kind of ethical paradox (group 2), it's inevitable that you'd find yourself literally torn inside. It's the dilemma of conscience. You can turn off the ethics of an organized religion; not so easy to off your own moral compass, whether you acknowledge it's there or not.

IMO this topic should be in the Religion forum. It's a good one.

good points, again.

I still question whether this is 'true'. Are they 'targeting' MS --the most religious state for future sales? I wouldn't think that would be a good plan--for other reasons.

There is a great deal of discussion on the use of antidepressants and related drugs on a board with professed Liberals. Most of these posters are 20-40 something women, young mothers. Many employed in technology and science. The drug company is aware of this fyi, too, I am certain. Many may be 'overachievers'--they certainly care about their families. They are well-aware of the 'dangers' of religion. fwiw.

eta: most medicated states--2010--West Virginia--I would never have thought that.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/16/me...ifestyle-health-rx_slide_2.html?partner=msnbc

Last edited:
I don't think I want to read this. How they determined such a correlation strikes me as 'odd' and there must be so many other factors that should also be evaluated that I cannot think an accurate conclusion could be reached.

In a study conducted between 2000 and 2006 by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer, they discovered that the most religious states have the highest percentage of the population using some kind of anti-depressant drug. The comprehensive study focused on the implications and numerous challenges of managing prescription drug costs, and they focused on the “sociodemographic forces influencing the use of prescription drugs,” but they did not examine the role religion plays in the higher-than-average use of anti-depressants.

'a study conducted by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer'--if they paid for the study--I have heard that the findings may be biased.

Anyway--I have known a good number of people with faith/religious beliefs who seem to be different. Somehow keep a positive attitude and have support systems which enable them to deal with loss and grief of all kinds. They also rely on medical science and may/may not utilize such drugs.

There is quite a bit of denial in your appraisal of this study.

Most of the very religious people I've known are total hypocrites. Twice in the past year met women whom I believed were good women because they presented themselves as very Christian, who went to church every week and talked about how Christian they were. Turned on me like pitbulls, used me and turned on me when it suited them; showed their true colors. I can believe being a Christian or very religious person can cause depression, because such people like to believe they are 'holier' than the rest of us, but they know deep down they are not. Must be a true conflict within the soul.

There is a high divorce rate among the religious right.

probably because they realize the mess the blue states are turning the country into. it is depressing.

WOW I'm impressed a study started over 10 years ago and this is proof for the here and now?

The longer period that a study covers, the more legitimacy it has moran :eusa_eh: Along the OP's lines, I thought they had the highest incidence of divorce as well. ;) Red States Lead the Nation in Divorce

I suppose we then need to discuss studies that show that blue states have fewer marriages?

No shortage of fascinating studies to discuss.

Indeed there are, many of which stretch the concept of cause and effect...

Why Traffic Deaths are More Common in Red States than Blue

Again, like the "most religious state" question, some background is left out. As one who's driven all over the country I find that there are different driving temperaments from place to place, and they have no discernible relation to politics.

The chart does show some extremes though...
top1.jpg

bottom.jpg

(/way offtopic) :eek:

Last edited:
probably because they realize the mess the blue states are turning the country into. it is depressing.

I live in a Red state and within that state I live in an area that is designated blue. By whatever means--this seems to work pretty well. For one thing we don't get overly involved in each others lives. Everyone seems to be in support of a good quality of life. We have Rand Paul supporters and a Catholic church coexisting together.

Forum List

Back