"The Obamacare implosion is worse than you think"

What is Obama going to do for people who sustain high medical bills in between the time their insurance policies lapse and the time they are able to secure the wonderful new insurance he has in store for them?

There is so much left to learn about how the subsidies are actually working. This article from the WSJ tries to summarize ACA issues and doesn't even touch on the psychological voter backlash which is going to come when people start to learn more about inequities in rates and subsidies, with significant differences between neighbors who live on different sides of a county line. [Edit: and other surprise costs like Katz just mentioned.]

Review & Outlook: Manias, Panics and ObamaCare Crashes - A reader's guide to the coming Affordable Care Act traumas -- WSJ.com

Physician dissatisfaction. U.S. medicine is under major financial strain, but not because the government is paying for quality instead of volume as liberals claim. The fee-for-service status quo is largely intact and reimbursement is merely being squeezed down. Exchange insurance with Medicaid-style networks pays Medicaid rates, while ObamaCare's Medicare cuts are also sending that program's price controls to Medicaid levels.

These rates are already so low that many doctors won't take new government patients. Look for many doctors to start to conclude they will make a better living—and have more autonomy—by opting out. Providers participating in federal programs are subject to onerous quality-reporting rules, even if the metrics don't accurately measure quality. The Affordable Care Act treats health professionals like robots on a factory line who can be reprogrammed to execute federal work orders.

I can personally attest the above in bold to be true.

There is so much anxiety in the healthcare community.

What is Obama going to do for people who sustain high medical bills in between the time their insurance policies lapse and the time they are able to secure the wonderful new insurance he has in store for them?

A question that has been bothering me is, if someone moves to a different county or state do they take their health insurance with them or would they have to start all over for the year with a new plan while attempting to reach their deductibles?

A question that has been bothering me is, if someone moves to a different county or state do they take their health insurance with them or would they have to start all over for the year with a new plan while attempting to reach their deductibles?

That's a really good question.

They'd probably want to at least consider getting a new policy because wherever they move the nearby caregivers would likely be out-of-network and thus more expensive.

But I'm guessing they'd also be on the hook for a new deductible.

GREAT question!

I want an answer.

Last edited:
The administration's "it's only five percent" dropped coverage, damage control talking points are as tone deaf and ineffective as they are factually false. Andy McCarthy lays the mendacity bare:

Even this 5 percent figure is a deception. As Avik Roy points out, the individual market actually accounts for 8 percent of health-insurance consumers. Obama can’t help himself: He even minimizes his minimizations. So, if Obama were telling the truth in rationalizing that his broken promises affect only consumers in the individual-insurance market, we’d still be talking about up to 25 million Americans...But that’s not the half of it. Obama’s claim that unwelcome cancellations are confined to the individual-insurance market is another brazen lie. In the weekend column, I link to the excellent work of Powerline’s John Hinderaker, who has demonstrated that, for over three years, the Obama administration’s internal estimates have shown that most Americans who are covered by “employer plans” will also lose their coverage under Obamacare. Mind you, 156 million Americans get health coverage through their jobs. John cites the Federal Register, dated June 17, 2010, beginning at page 34,552 (Vol. 75, No. 116). It includes a chart that outlines the Obama administration’s projections. The chart indicates that somewhere between 39 and 69 percent of employer plans would lose their “grandfather” protection by 2013. In fact, for small-business employers, the high-end estimate is a staggering 80 percent (and even on the low end, it’s just a shade under half — 49 percent).

We'll return to the second point momentarily, but first let's revisit the administration's attempts to wave off 25 million people as a rounding error. If the White House considers five-to-eight percent of the market to be no big deal, then Megan McArdle makes a good point about percentages: If we're dismissing "small" groups of Americans, why bother tackling the uninsured problem at all? Perhaps Team O can explain why the eight percent of people on the individual market don't really matter, while the 7.5 percent of uninsured Americans are worthy of uprooting the entire system:

All the people who are ultimately expected to get additional coverage from the new law, including the Medicaid expansion, amount to only 7.5 percent of the population, so if 5 percent is too small to worry about, then probably so is the number of uninsured.

Report: 'Second Wave of Health Plan Cancellations Looms' - Guy Benson

Your source is wrong about at least one thing ZB, employer coverage cancellations have already begun. The place where I eat Sunday breakfast the owner has already got his cancellation notice and was talking about it when I came in. The rush out of the exchanges due to premium hikes will be pre-election and that will be all she wrote.

I understand and it was known from the beginning that it is a sliding scale, but it is exactly what she wrote - a FAKE.
Because the subsidy is also for the bronze HMO plan, if you want a better one than the bronze HMO crap - you won't get any subsidy.

and the article clearly states - the young ones are going to be hit the most, so your example of 52 yo is irrelevant.
Plus it differs from state to state and even from county to county.

So a big fat FAKE, as usual with dimocrap lies.

sorry :D

You think I am a Dem????

LMFAO ;)

I know you are NOT a dem.
However, it seems know-it-all approach here is not necessarily true.
Or CNN and their sources are lying.
You know the situation in your state particularly.

It differs even from county to county - so your knowledge might be limited.
I do not have any reason to dispute the CNN sources telling that the amount of sliding scale subsidies vary greatly from state to state. I also do not have any reason to question their statement that it might be applicable to some plans only, also on a state to state basis.

It changes zip code to zip code.
If one qualifies for a subsidy one can use it on any plan they wish...sorry.

The "know it all" approach :)

It's called being educated in the process and in the indistry...

Financial Assistance Estimator

$746.00

Based on your information, this is the estimated monthly amount of financial assistance from the government you may be eligible to receive.
Note, the amount of financial assistance cannot be more than the premium cost of the plan selected. If you choose a lower cost plan, your financial assistance will be reduced to the cost of the plan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coverage Level

Median Premium

Your Estimated Assistance

Estimated Monthly Payment

bronze

$903.00

-

$746.00

=

$157.00

silver

$1,154.00

-

$746.00

=

$408.00

gold

$1,357.00

-

$746.00

=

$611.00

platinum

$1,539.00

-

$746.00

=

$793.00

Bronze Plans on the Exchange

Generally, lowest monthly premiums

Higher out-of-pocket costs when you receive care

60% coverage (you pay 40%)

are you saying that CNN is lying?

Not my call :)

I can tell you however that the ones getting screwed are the young making less than 11500.

https://www.askblueinsurance.com/bcbsne

Go ahead, play with it yourself :)

The law is the law, and it is Nationwide...no state gets its own rules.

Except they do.

And that is the whole pint here:

CNN: No Obamacare subsidy for some low-income Americans - CNN.com

One of the basic tenets of Obamacare is that the government will help lower-income Americans -- anyone making less than about $45,900 a year -- pay for the health insurance everyone is now mandated to have.

But a CNN analysis shows that in the largest city in nearly every state, many low-income younger Americans won't get any subsidy at all. Administration officials said the reason so many Americans won't receive a subsidy is that the cost of insurance is lower than the government initially expected. Subsidies are calculated using a complicated formula based on the cost of insurance premiums, which can vary drastically from state to state, and even county to county.

That doesn't change the fact that in Chicago, a 27-year old will receive no subsidy to help offset premiums of more than $165 a month if he makes more than $27,400 a year.

In Portland, Oregon, subsidies for individuals making just $28,725 a year phase out for those younger than 35 years old.

Despite the secretary's assurance, a 25-year-old living in Nashville, Tennessee, making $25,500 will not qualify for a subsidy, for example

Explain these exact bolded statements - how can they change the rules - the details are regulated by the state and HHS, not the law itself, BTW - and not give ANY subsidy to the guys in Oregon, Chicago and TN.

Not my call :)

I can tell you however that the ones getting screwed are the young making less than 11500.

the young making less than 11500 are Medicaid-eligible, so they are not screwed at all.

The ones being screwed the most are the ones earning one cent more above the set threshold - those are screwed the most.

Plus those who are being gauged by additional taxes.

https://www.askblueinsurance.com/bcbsne

Go ahead, play with it yourself :)

The law is the law, and it is Nationwide...no state gets its own rules.

Except they do.

And that is the whole pint here:

CNN: No Obamacare subsidy for some low-income Americans - CNN.com

One of the basic tenets of Obamacare is that the government will help lower-income Americans -- anyone making less than about $45,900 a year -- pay for the health insurance everyone is now mandated to have.

But a CNN analysis shows that in the largest city in nearly every state, many low-income younger Americans won't get any subsidy at all. Administration officials said the reason so many Americans won't receive a subsidy is that the cost of insurance is lower than the government initially expected. Subsidies are calculated using a complicated formula based on the cost of insurance premiums, which can vary drastically from state to state, and even county to county.

That doesn't change the fact that in Chicago, a 27-year old will receive no subsidy to help offset premiums of more than $165 a month if he makes more than $27,400 a year.

In Portland, Oregon, subsidies for individuals making just $28,725 a year phase out for those younger than 35 years old.

Despite the secretary's assurance, a 25-year-old living in Nashville, Tennessee, making $25,500 will not qualify for a subsidy, for example

Explain these exact bolded statements - how can they change the rules - the details are regulated by the state and HHS, not the law itself, BTW - and not give ANY subsidy to the guys in Oregon, Chicago and TN.

Are you stupid?

I just said that the young are getting screwed the worst, educate yourself then get back to me.

Forum List

Back