The Official Zimmerman Trial Verdict Thread

What are your Initial Thoughts on the Guilt or Innocence of George Zimmerman?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the jury takes a few days to deliberate. I'd like to feel like they took this very seriously and spent time going over all evidence, the instructions from the judge and all testimony from both sides.

Yes..they did take it very seriously.

That decided that open season on black kids is just peachy.

how did they do that? you been watching too much of bigot sharpton?

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—
(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer

You are correct, plus Martin won't find an attorney to represent him Because of the following provisions of the (Florida State 776.085)

(1) It shall be a defense to any action for damages for personal injury or wrongful death, or for injury to property, that such action arose from injury sustained by a participant during the commission or attempted commission of a forcible felony. The defense authorized by this section shall be established by evidence that the participant has been convicted of such forcible felony or attempted forcible felony, or by proof of the commission of such crime or attempted crime by a preponderance of the evidence.

(4) (b) (b) The court shall award a reasonable attorney’s fee to be paid to the prevailing party in equal amounts by the losing party and the losing party’s attorney; however, the losing party’s attorney is not personally responsible if he or she has acted in good faith, based on the representations of his or her client. If the losing party is incarcerated for the crime or attempted crime and has insufficient assets to cover payment of the costs of the action and the award of fees pursuant to this paragraph, the party shall, as determined by the court, be required to pay by deduction from any payments the prisoner receives while incarcerated.

(NOTE: Highlights my own)

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

(NOTE: Highlights are my own. I wrote a more detailed post regarding this issue, but I can't find the damn thing)

Since there is no doubt that Martin's injuries were sustained during the commission of a forcible felony, he has no right to sue Zimmerman. Further, since the losing side must pay the winning side's attorney fees (the losing side pays half and the losing side's attorney pays the other half) no attorney will take the case, at least not on a contingency fee basis).

One additional comment:

Zimmerman did not stalk Martin, he merely followed him for a brief time. Stalking is a crime, whereas following someone is not. Those who use the word “stalking” often do not know what the word means. I think people use the word because it sounds sinister wheres using the words “following” or “observing” doesn't sound bad. Here is the Florida Statute pertaining to stalking:

Florida Statute 784.084

(2) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person commits the offense of stalking, a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(3) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person, and makes a credible threat with the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of death or bodily injury of the person, or the person’s child, sibling, spouse, parent, or dependent, commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084
The terms “harass and " as used in the above is defined in Section 1 (a) and (b):

(a) “Harass” means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.

(b) “Course of conduct” means a pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts over a period of time, however short, evidencing a continuity of purpose. Constitutionally protected activity is not included within the meaning of “course of conduct.” Such constitutionally protected activity includes picketing or other organized protests.

784.048 - - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

Of course, the word “maliciously” means “having or showing a desire to cause harm to someone.” Therefore, in order for Zimmerman to be convicted of stalking, it must be shown that he repeatedly followed Martin with the the intent to harm him. Stalking involves repeated conduct over a period of time. There is no evidence that Zimmerman had ever seen Martin before; therefore he could not have stalked him.

Under the law, Zimmerman did nothing which could possibly be construed as stalking as that term is defined by law. Following someone for a few moments is not stalking him. You might make an argument that Zimmerman should not have followed Martin at all and that is a defensible argument. But you cannot accuse him of stalking because his conduct does not fit the language of the Florida Statute.

Zimmerman will not be sued civilly, and of that I am certain. However, If Trayvon Martin had an estate of substantial value Zimmerman would have no problem finding an attorney to sue Martin.

I hope the jury takes a few days to deliberate. I'd like to feel like they took this very seriously and spent time going over all evidence, the instructions from the judge and all testimony from both sides.

Yes..they did take it very seriously.

That decided that open season on black kids is just peachy.

I didn't hear that when the verdict was read.

As an acquittal seams more and more likely...time to start thinking about the post trial excuses.

If Zimmerman is acquitted, list the talking point excuses that will be most vocalized by those invested in a guilty verdict...

A few are already out there.

The police took too long to arrest Zimmerman.

The police didn't collect enough evidence.

Zimmerman knew exactly what to say.

Add your own...

the jurors only saw the cases presented by the prosecution and defense and said not guilty. luckily they didnt get to see biased jackasses on both sides 24/7 on cable news.

Right. Like Zimmerman has the resources to sue a media conglomeration. Unless Bill Gates, or the Taxpayer sign on, it will go nowhere. There is no Justice for the poor when media companies have advertising to sell.

WoW!

I'm shocked, but not surprised.

"Zimmerman is TOAST!"

:stupid:

How many times did you type that out?
Many times.

I failed to realize how "conservative" that jury was. 2 of the jurors are gun owners.
They have to go back to face that "conservative" gun-owning, toting and supporting community.
In the end, it seems, they couldn't replace Trayvon with their child/ren.
Nothing will convince me that had the races been reversed that the killer WOULDN'T have been initially arrested.
You got the verdict you wanted...be happy.

So jurors that own guns are "conservatives"?
You STILL believe this is about conservative versus liberal?
Maybe it was after all Marc, liberal juries acquit 6 times more than conservative ones do.
This was most likely a left leaning jury.
A conservative jury would have been back after a few hours with a not guilty verdict.
You post nonsense. I know many liberal Democrats that own guns.
I bet YOU own a gun.
Give it up, the case is over. Go protest against the guy that shot and killed the man robbing folks waiting in line to buy Lebron Nike shoes a few weeks ago.

For crying out loud, the DOJ already investigated and decided that this shooting was not race related.

And if they could have nailed Z for a hate and race based crime they would of.

I'm sure they are looking it over again now that the Florida jury fucked it up.

what exactly did they fuck up? they listened to all of the evidence presented by both sides and made their ruling in accordance with the law and the instructions given them by the judge.

you may not like their ruling, but they did not "fuck up". They did their civil duty and should be congratulated.

and BTW. I would say the same thing if they returned a guilty verdict.

Perfect!

George Zimmerman Not Guilty: NAACP Plans Civil Charges - Business Insider

The NAACP said late Saturday that it was "outraged and heartbroken" over the not-guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman trial, vowing to pursue "civil rights charges" with the Department of Justice.

Didn't the Department of Justice already clear Zimmerman?

I'm afraid our country has gone from a country or logic and reason to a country of over exaggeration and emotion.

yes, he was cleared early in the investigation.

The ability of lefties to ignore facts, logic, and the law has never been a surprise. They do it all the time. Its just never been so clearly on display as it is here.

the current resident of the whitehouse also displays a wanton disregard for facts and the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back