The Official Zimmerman Trial Verdict Thread

What are your Initial Thoughts on the Guilt or Innocence of George Zimmerman?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In bold:

B-12: A middle-aged white woman who works the graveyard shift. She likes the crime-forensics show "CSI" and said she'd heard Zimmerman was following Trayvon.

B-29: A Hispanic nurse on an Alzheimer's ward who has seven children and lived in Chicago at time of shooting.

B-76: A white middle-aged woman who said Zimmerman had an "altercation with the young man. There was a struggle, and the gun went off."

B-7: A middle-aged white man who listens to NPR. He remembered when Florida implemented its "stand your ground" law and the debate about whether it was needed.

B-35: A middle-aged black man who owns a vending business. He was critical of the Rev. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and says this case is not racial.

B-37: A middle-aged white woman who works for a chiropractor and has many pets. She described protests in Sanford as "rioting."

B-51: A retired white woman from Oviedo who has a dog and 20-year-old cat. She knew a good deal about the case but said: "I'm not rigid in my thinking."

B-86: A middle-aged white woman who works at a middle school. She said if Trayvon had not been "expelled" from school in Miami-Dade County — he was actually suspended — "this could have been prevented."

E-6: A young white woman and mother who used to work in financial services. She used this case as an example to her adolescent children, warning them to not go out at night.

E-40: A white woman in her 60s who lived in Iowa at the time of the shooting. She heard national-news reports and recalls the shooting was in a gated community and a teenager was killed.

E-54: A middle-aged white man with a teenage stepson who wears hoodies. He recalled seeing photos of the injuries to Zimmerman's head and face.

E-73: A middle-aged white woman active in Sanford's arts community who is raising her late brother's 15- and 18-year-old children. The media interjected race in this case, she said.

M-75: A young black woman who says many of her friends have opinions on the case, but she doesn't.

B-61: A young white woman who remembered that "after the protesters, it seemed to turn more into a racial issue ... I don't think it's a racial issue."

B-72: A young man who does maintenance at a school and competes in arm-wrestling tournaments. He said he avoids the news because he does not want to be "brainwashed."

E-22: A middle-aged black woman who said that after the shooting, Sanford police should have booked Zimmerman and asked him more questions.

E-13: A young white woman who goes to college and works two jobs. She heard the shooting was a "racial thing."

E-28: A middle-aged white woman who works as a nurse. She said she knew little about the case and has no opinion about Zimmerman's guilt.

K-80: A middle-aged white woman with children who has not followed the case. She considers the "racial undertones" in the case "disturbing."

K-95: A middle-aged woman who's a full-time student and "IT geek" with two children. She was critical of protests calling for Zimmerman's arrest.

P-67: A native of Mexico who seemed eager to serve on the jury, describing it as a civic duty. "Some people think it is a racist thing," he said of the shooting.

G-14: A middle-aged white woman. "I remember a lot of anger, a lot of people upset that Mr. Zimmerman was not arrested immediately."

G-29: A young black woman who has lived in Seminole County eight months. "There is a lot of racial tension built up," she said, but she "stayed away from it."

G-47: A young white man who works as assistant manager at restaurant. Zimmerman appears to be "stuck in the worst situation" possible, he said.

G-63: A young, unemployed man who described himself as "mixed race." He knew few details about the case but denounced stereotyping and said people sometimes interject race into cases.

G-66: A retired white woman who cares for her toddler grandson and moved to Central Florida in 2011. When she saw photos of Zimmerman's injuries, "I felt sorry for him."

G-81: A tall black man who lives less than a half-mile from the scene of the shooting. There is a racial divide in Sanford, he said, but the media have misportrayed the city.

H-6: A young white man who heard the phone call Zimmerman made to police before the shooting. "He sounded like he was concerned for his neighborhood."

H-7: A red-haired man about age 50 in a business suit who recalled "a big brouhaha in Sanford" and said, "I still don't know why it became a high-profile case."

H-18: A muscled, dark-skinned man in his 20s with an accent who's a mechanic and moved here from Kuwait. He said he avoids discussing certain topics. "When it's politics, religion or race, I just don't get involved."

H-29: A white-haired man who described national civil-rights leaders who led protests in Sanford "a little circus come to town." It was "negative for the city," he said.

H-35: A young woman who said she knows little about the case. She "liked" a photo of Trayvon on Facebook. She needs to move by the end of June, which she said would be a hardship.

H-81: A middle-aged man who described the shooting as an "incident" between Zimmerman and Trayvon. He called the shooting a "very tragic situation." He has two pending civil cases before Nelson.

H-69: A five-months-pregnant woman who said she saw news about the case on television at work. She mentioned several times that she recalled seeing pictures of Trayvon as "a young child" in the media.

H-86: A young white woman who said she knows almost nothing about the case. She keeps up with current events, but "certain cases and things I don't follow."

I-5: A middle-aged black man, he said he heard self-defense was involved with the case, at one point referring to Zimmerman as "the gentleman that was defending himself."

I-19: A young white woman who hasn't followed the case and knows only the basic details: "I don't watch the news; I don't read the news," she said.

I-24: An older white woman who said she followed the case at first, but then "I just kind of tuned out." Described the case as "a young man lost his life, and another man is fighting for his life."

I-33: An older white man who said, "The more I heard, the less I wanted to hear." Heard there was a 911 call involved in the case and "some controversy as to who was doing the screaming."

I-44: A father of three who appeared to be in his 30s and said he's highly skeptical of the media and its "negativity." He called himself a "sports nut."

Last edited:
[MENTION=31178]MeBelle60[/MENTION]. Thanks!! I'll come back but I'm with you on most of those. Going to the pool.

Rep rep

Nah, I'll just put mine up there.

I'm working on the juror list, but really waiting on M O'M tomorrow.

Yes...curious to see MOMs approach. Bernie seemed to establish a good rapport with the jurors today...they seemed to like him...treated it kind of like an interactive classroom environment.

Let's say that the alledged rapist "gets off" (no pun intended), do you believe that people wouldn't even consider a bias on behalf of the males?

Look at how some republican CONGRESSMEN viewed rape in this last round of elections! They actually believed certain things about rape that were archaic, barbaric, and based on myth!

Now imagine these "men" were on a jury for rape!

There IS a remedy for this.

Make the jury equal in numbers.

The same amount of blacks, as whites and Hispanics.

This AT LEAST avoids the appearance and presumptions of bias WHICHEVER way it is decided!

Doesn't that make sense for this incendiary case?

Thanks.

Why are we continuing to look at color?...these are two people. Looking at and being concerned with color is ridiculous to me...its like judging people based on what color socks they wear or their hair color.

Would it be fair for a jury full of blondes to judge a brunette defendant/plaintiff? I mean lets have a equal number of hair color here to be fair and throw in a couple of redheads while youre at it....lol.

Can we just see people and then make a decision on the actual facts and evidence of the two PEOPLE involved?

Last edited:
Let's say that the alledged rapist "gets off" (no pun intended), do you believe that people wouldn't even consider a bias on behalf of the males?

Look at how some republican CONGRESSMEN viewed rape in this last round of elections! They actually believed certain things about rape that were archaic, barbaric, and based on myth!

This AT LEAST avoids the appearance and presumptions of bias WHICHEVER way it is decided!

Thanks.

Why are we continuing to look at color?...these are two people. Looking at and being concerned with color is ridiculous to me...its like judging people based on what color socks they wear or their hair color.

Would it be fair for a jury full of blondes to judge a brunette defendant/plaintiff? I mean lets have a equal number of hair color here to be fair and throw in a couple of redheads while youre at it....lol.

Can we just see people and then make a decision on the actual facts and evidence of the two PEOPLE involved?

Even if the attack was racial from the get go? This entire thing is due to Zimmerman seeing a "suspicious" black kid.

I for one would not have found him suspicious. He did. And before the normal defenders start, if it were a white kid in a hoodie, Zimmerman would not have looked twice.

How do I know this....Zimmerman's racial history of his 911 calls. Period.

This entire thing started because of race.

Thanks.

Even if the attack was racial from the get go? This entire thing is due to Zimmerman seeing a "suspicious" black kid.

I for one would not have found him suspicious. He did. And before the normal defenders start, if it were a white kid in a hoodie, Zimmerman would not have looked twice.

How do I know this....Zimmerman's racial history of his 911 calls. Period.

This entire thing started because of race.

Yes--Al Sharpton made damn sure it was about race.

Good point Zona.

He had a right to be suspicious and it didnt have anything to do with the color of his skin.

Trayvon was intially seen standing on the lawn of a neighbor in the rain when the neighbor wasnt home...a neighbors house that GZ helped thwart a burglary that was in progress just two weeks earlier. It turns out that burglar lived in the complex and had burglarized 8 other houses in the same complex.

Most of the recent robberies were in the building of this neighbor (Frank Taaffe) and the building next to his. So when a NH Captain drives by and sees an unfamiliar kid standing on the lawn of that neighbor again, then it would be completely natural to be suspicious. I dont agree with everything that GZ did...I have written about that in detail. But I do think he had a right to be initially suspicious given the circumstances. i find it hard to believe that Kink or Zona would not have been equally suspicious given the same circumstances.

So the kids black...so what...does that mean that nobody can be suspicious even when there is a reason to be...just because he is black...doesnt make sense to me...but that sounds like what you are saying. You dont want anyone to be suspicious of a black kid regardless of the circumstances just because he is black...to me that is racism.

Saying that it was all about a black kid in a hoodie only suggests that the accuser is associating hoodies with black kids...no one else has said it. You are the ones stereo typing hoodies. I dont hear anyone saying that because he was wearing a hoodie so he must be black and up to know good...you have accused of it without any reason to do so. People dont like that and it will be more difficult for people to side with your opinion or give merit to your thought, when they have to defend being called racists and profilers.

There is no evidence of racism, so dont bring it in...leave it out...you dont need it in this case...you can win without it.

Last edited:
Jeez, I guess I should be grateful. All the neighborhood watch guy in my part of town did was rape a woman. At least he didn't kill anyone. That we know of.

Neighborhood watch should be just that...WATCH. You see something suspicious, call the police. Otherwise, stay the fuck out of it. Your job is not to confront citizens. Your job is to WATCH!

That's the problem with the "neighborhood watch" concept...it attracts all these little paramilitary nuts who want to have power over people. They're dangerous.

Jeez, I guess I should be grateful. All the neighborhood watch guy in my part of town did was rape a woman. At least he didn't kill anyone. That we know of.

Neighborhood watch should be just that...WATCH. You see something suspicious, call the police. Otherwise, stay the fuck out of it. Your job is not to confront citizens. Your job is to WATCH!

That's the problem with the "neighborhood watch" concept...it attracts all these little paramilitary nuts who want to have power over people. They're dangerous.

Okay...Ill give you that. But do you at least concede that he had a right to be suspicious?

Okay...Ill give you that. But do you at least concede that he had a right to be suspicious?

as usual i do not get a chance to see much of it live other then early morning

and the posting of the live link

so i am forced on summary of the days events

did you get a chance to see much of it today

legal insurrection has a good narrative

aying the Foundation for the State’s Theory of the Case?

It quickly became clear the de la Rionda’s goal in the afternoon was less to learn new information about the candidates than it was to impart to them a certain perspective of the events in question, of the laws that would apply, and of the unreasonableness of a person (unnamed) who would “take the law into their own hands.”

Bernie de la Rionda began asking the candidates a series of questions addressed to them collectively that seemed clearly intended not to solicit information and insight but rather to require the candidates to commit themselves, at least emotionally, to a series of propositions.

“Do you understand and agree that the state must prove it’s case beyond a reasonable doubt?”

He then followed up by extemporizing that “reasonable doubt” doesn’t mean “no doubt.”

“Do you agree that Mr. Zimmerman is presumed innocent?”

He followed this question by emphasizing that “presumed innocent” doesn’t mean “can’t be guilty.”

He also mentioned that “this isn’t like TV,” and that the level of proof they will likely see won’t be the dramatic breakdown and confession of a witness on the stand.

He then shifted to a series of questions he posed to the group collectively, but which he asked them to respond to individually by raising their hands.

Zimmerman Jury Selection ? Day Eight Wrap-Up

Hey Jon,

I caught some of it this morning. You bring up some good points I hadnt thought about. To me, bernie seemed to garner a pretty good rapport with the jurors. He encouraged them to open up a bit and I believe they did. Overall, I have the feeling they like and trust him as a prosecutor.

His questioning had more of an interactive classroom setting to me.

O'Meara is up tomorrow and he is very good at establishing rapport also. It will be interesting to see what tools he uses to do this tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back