The Politicization of Everything Makes Me Sick

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Example of turning something lovely into an incident of identify politics:

I recently bought a used copy of the Smithsonian boxset "The Blues". I've been a fan of all kinds of music since I was a kid - something new would catch my ear and I'd add it to my scope of music interests. I especially love the Blues.

The package arrived yesterday. I opened it only to find an "Embrace Diversity" bumpersticker stuck inside the box. It never occurred to me to experience music through an identity politics filter; great music, like great art and literature, transcends that nonsense. Instead, it speaks to the human condition, and the common human experience (good and bad) throughout history. I really resent the seller exploiting my love of music to promote a political agenda.

Can't we enjoy anything without the Political Harangue?

I recently bought a used copy of the Smithsonian boxset "The Blues". I've been a fan of all kinds of music since I was a kid - something new would catch my ear and I'd add it to my scope of music interests. I especially love the Blues.

The package arrived yesterday. I opened it only to find an "Embrace Diversity" bumpersticker stuck inside the box. It never occurred to me to experience music through an identity politics filter; great music, like great art and literature, transcends that nonsense. Instead, it speaks to the human condition, and the common human experience (good and bad) throughout history. I really resent the seller exploiting my love of music to promote a political agenda.

Racist

^ offended by "embrace diversity" :rolleyes:

He needs to be shouted down!

Where did my safe zone go?

Both of you should just put on your Pussy Hats and go find a baker to annoy.

He needs to be shouted down!

Where did my safe zone go?
^ triggered in defense of somebody who needs a safe space to be protected from "embrace diversity"

Too bad so sad that you really don't know what it means. I bet you are a dupe for those COEXIST bumperstickers as well.

This has infected pretty much every level of our society and culture.

Who knows what turns this around, if anything.

Too bad so sad that you really don't know what it means. I bet you are a dupe for those COEXIST bumperstickers as well.
You poor thing. Do you need a minute? :itsok:

This has infected pretty much every level of our society and culture.

Who knows what turns this around, if anything.

I have no idea. At this point, it looks to me like our society as reached that end stage of decadence prior to the fall. Some people can't handle prosperity and safety without going nuts.

No, I'm not a pathetic SJW Crybully.

I just cut up the offending bumperstick and threw it away. I can take care of my own stuff.

Calling a bumper sticker added to the packaging of a blues box set a political harangue seems excessive. ;)

It's a bit silly that it was put in there, but meh, it's not as though you have to keep it. Now, if you start listening to your music, and you find political message tracks added in or something like that, political harangue would seem like an appropriate phrase. :D

No, I'm not a pathetic SJW Crybully.

I just cut up the offending bumperstick and threw it away. I can take care of my own stuff.
Youre being a snowflake. If not for diversity where would you be?

All this over an unexpected bumper sticker?! Good Christ, can we exchange problems? lol

Cripes it's gotten so bad I'm waiting for weathermen nation wide to take a knee to protest "deniers of climate change" before they give the local freaking weather report.

:lol:

You completely missed the point of the OP.

Forum List

Back