🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Presidential Election in 2016...

The last president who came from the military left me profoundly disappointed.

Eisenhower, who denied me to become an American.

In 1956 I was and idealistic seventeen year old who took part in the Hungarian Revolution and when it was crushed I escaped from Hungary and had the dream of going to America.

Back in those days, there was a quota for immigration to the United States, based on some numbers established decades earlier. There was only a small number allowed from Hungary.

Of the 400,000 Hungarians who escaped many, but not all by any means, wished to be accepted by the United States, but due to the limitation of the quota only about 40,000 were actually admitted. I was not among the lucky ones, and came to Canada, who, unlike America welcomed me.

Eisenhower could have easily signed an executive order to be more hospitable to Hungarians in 1956. This general/president failed to see the David v. Goliath struggle of the tiny Hungarian nation and acted - or more precisely NOT acted - accordingly.

While I admire his greatest achievement, the Interstate Highway System, and Heaven knows, I traveled most of them from Boston to San Diego and from Seattle to Miami and everywhere in between and I worked on assignment in Akron, Ohio for six years, and I spend lots of my winter in the warmth of Florida or Arizona and I love America probably more than some Americans do, and came to forgive Ike, but I really would not like to see a president from the military, since by definition they are too precise, too fact driven and too unemotional and too cold.

Or in 1956, it was hard to be sympathetic to a Hungary that a decade before, had joined the Axis and had sent troops into Russia during the war.

Ike was an awesome president. the fact the GOP has fallen so far from the ideals he set is really the problem.

In 1956 I was and idealistic seventeen year old who took part in the Hungarian Revolution and when it was crushed I escaped from Hungary and had the dream of going to America.

Back in those days, there was a quota for immigration to the United States, based on some numbers established decades earlier. There was only a small number allowed from Hungary.

Of the 400,000 Hungarians who escaped many, but not all by any means, wished to be accepted by the United States, but due to the limitation of the quota only about 40,000 were actually admitted. I was not among the lucky ones, and came to Canada, who, unlike America welcomed me.

Eisenhower could have easily signed an executive order to be more hospitable to Hungarians in 1956. This general/president failed to see the David v. Goliath struggle of the tiny Hungarian nation and acted - or more precisely NOT acted - accordingly.

While I admire his greatest achievement, the Interstate Highway System, and Heaven knows, I traveled most of them from Boston to San Diego and from Seattle to Miami and everywhere in between and I worked on assignment in Akron, Ohio for six years, and I spend lots of my winter in the warmth of Florida or Arizona and I love America probably more than some Americans do, and came to forgive Ike, but I really would not like to see a president from the military, since by definition they are too precise, too fact driven and too unemotional and too cold.

Or in 1956, it was hard to be sympathetic to a Hungary that a decade before, had joined the Axis and had sent troops into Russia during the war.

Ike was an awesome president. the fact the GOP has fallen so far from the ideals he set is really the problem.

It takes an exceptionally ignorant prick to equate Hungary of 1943 to Hungary of 1956.

Last edited:
[

It takes an exceptionally ignorant prick to equate Hungary of 1943 to Hungary of 1956.

Not really.

What changed, other than Hungary (after being very complicite in all the crimes Germany committed) now found herself under the boot of the USSR?

This wasn't our problem, and Ike had the good sense to realize that.

what does this have to do with the inept idiot on the White House who wont be running in 2016?

What about the ignorance of one who equates an America of 1956 or Americas generals of 1956, to an America of 2016 or it's military of 2016?

Criminey. Talk about the kettle calling out the pot. On the whole, generalization from the specific to the whole are never good. Sorry for your experience. The nation had to draw a line somewhere, even today we can't have open borders. Does this mean in forty or fifty years a future citizen should hold it against would be presidents who had been "community organizers?"

. . . . well, on second thought, maybe you have stellar logic. Go with that. :lol:

[

Not really.

What changed, other than Hungary (after being very complicite in all the crimes Germany committed) now found herself under the boot of the USSR?

This wasn't our problem, and Ike had the good sense to realize that.

But the country - you know GERMANY - that committed all the atrocities was worthy for the effort of flying in supplies in defiance of Roosevelt's bosom buddy, Uncle Joe Stalin?

You read what I wrote about myself. I can assure you, that most of my compatriots at that time were just like me: Not Nazis, not communists, just somebody who were seeking freedom.

I know that not all Americans are like you. If all Americans were like you I would be ashamed to say what you read in my previous post.

In the meantime, I came to terms that America/Eisenhower did not want me, more than you came to terms with the differences between Hungary in 1943 and 1956.

And that Eisenhower's insensitive non-action is America's loss is Canada's gain.

[

But the country - you know GERMANY - that committed all the atrocities was worthy for the effort of flying in supplies in defiance of Roosevelt's bosom buddy, Uncle Joe Stalin?

You read what I wrote about myself. I can assure you, that most of my compatriots at that time were just like me: Not Nazis, not communists, just somebody who were seeking freedom.

I know that not all Americans are like you. If all Americans were like you I would be ashamed to say what you read in my previous post.

In the meantime, I came to terms that America/Eisenhower did not want me, more than you came to terms with the differences between Hungary in 1943 and 1956.

And that Eisenhower's insensitive non-action is America's loss is Canada's gain.

actually, the only country that gained by your absense was Hungary, obviously.

Here's the thing, I only care about Americans and American lives. Hungary was a member of the Axis and the USSR beat them. Boo-hoo, too bad. from Wiki-

It is estimated that from an original population of 861,000 people considered Jewish inside the borders of 1941–44, about 255,000 survived. This gives a 29.6% survival rate overall.

Now compare that to 3000 Hungarians killed when the USSR wasn't going to put up with their shit, it just doesn't sound that bad compared to 600,000 Hungarian Jews killed because Admiral HOrthy didn't have the balls to stand up for his own citizens.

what does this have to do with the inept idiot on the White House who wont be running in 2016?

the truth is that the dems are scared shitless of 2016. They know that they are going to have to run the tired old bitch hillary, and they know she can't win--------but its her turn. I think its very funny watching them squirm.

I hope someone high ranking from the military runs. I don't care which party.

They've seen firsthand the bullshit from career politicians. It's time we had a career leader again!

sorry, Old School... the military ain't what it used to be...

it's now fulla pussies afraid of their own shadows...

I work with members of the military every single day. I know several who I wish would start a political career... but they won't. Because of the current culture of the military which is serve and don't be heard.

If a General of the United States Army told you something how much more would you listen to it than some congressman?

I want a President who commands authority. Someone who could stare Putin in the eye and win. But I don't know if that'll ever happen again :(

Military leaders seldom make good politicians. There are exceptions, notably Washington and Eisenhower, but those guys had more on the ball. Leading in the Military and leading in civilian life are two different animals.

I'll agree that military folks are a joy to work with. They are purpose driven and goal oriented. They expect a beginning and end to each task and very pragmatic about how it gets done. They are willing to own what they do and take the blame when it fails.

What more can you ask for?

This is in response to post #29:

Actually, the American company that I worked for for almost 40 years gave me an achievement award for exceptional work and community spirit for volunteering from 1993 to 2006 several weeks every one of those years. I worked with Habitat for Humanity in Homestead, FL and with Appalachian Service Project in Chavais, KY, so when you say that only Hungary benefited from my absence is about as false as one can get. I am willing to bet that that I have performed more voluntary community service in those years in both U.S. and Canada than you performed all your life.

In your inexplicable hatred for a tiny nation that had the courage to rebel against Democrat cripple Roosevelt's bosom buddy, Uncle Joe Stalin is actually quite telling. Do you feel the same about the Czechs? Poles? Latvians? Do you refer to the Prague Spring as "their shit"?

Why do you suddenly feel sympathetic about the Jews in Hungary in 1943 when you have no sympathy for the Jews of Israel in 2014? When you would - based on your posts - support any and all effort to eliminate or at least weaken Israel?

Yeah, I know Hungary of 1943 was cruel to the Jews. Well, how about the United States that sent shiploads of Jews back to Germany and certain extermination in the same time period?

Last edited:

Actually, the American company that I worked for for almost 40 years gave me an achievement award for exceptional work and community spirit for volunteering from 1993 to 2006 several weeks every one of those years. I worked with Habitat for Humanity in Homestead, FL and with Appalachian Service Project in Chavais, KY, so when you say that only Hungary benefited from my absence is about as false as one can get. I sam willing to bet that that I have performed more voluntary community service in those years in both U.S. and Canada than you performed all your life.

In your inexplicable hatred for a tiny nation that had the courage to rebel against Democrat cripple Roosevelt's bosom buddy, Uncle Joe Stalin is actually quite telling. Do you feel the same about the Czechs? Poles? Latvians? Do you refer to the Prague Spring as "their shit"?

Why do you suddenly feel sympathetic about the Jews in Hungary in 1943 when you have no sympathy for the Jews of Israel in 2014? When you would - based on your posts - support any and all effort to eliminate or at least weaken Israel?

Yeah, I know Hungary of 1943 was cruel to the Jews. Well, how about the United States that sent shiploads of Jews back to Germany and certain extermination in the same time period?

With all due respect, but you should try to have a bit more respect for historical facts. Your claim about the US shipping Jews back to Germany in 1943 is a ludicrous lie.

For the rest, one may sympathize (as I do) with the Hungarian rebellion against Soviet oppression in 1956. But that doesn't need to stop one from realizing that this was a lost cause and that it would have been impossible and unwise for the US to intervene militarily, short of starting World War III with the immediate and complete destruction of Hungary as its first result.

Actually, the American company that I worked for for almost 40 years gave me an achievement award for exceptional work and community spirit for volunteering from 1993 to 2006 several weeks every one of those years. I worked with Habitat for Humanity in Homestead, FL and with Appalachian Service Project in Chavais, KY, so when you say that only Hungary benefited from my absence is about as false as one can get. I sam willing to bet that that I have performed more voluntary community service in those years in both U.S. and Canada than you performed all your life.

With all due respect, but you should try to have a bit more respect for historical facts. Your claim about the US shipping Jews back to Germany in 1943 is a ludicrous lie.

For the rest, one may sympathize (as I do) with the Hungarian rebellion against Soviet oppression in 1956. But that doesn't need to stop one from realizing that this was a lost cause and that it would have been impossible and unwise for the US to intervene militarily, short of starting World War III with the immediate and complete destruction of Hungary as its first result.

I never advocated military intervention in Hungary in 1956, and even as a green seventeen year old I realized that it would not happen.

All I was hoping for was a chance to go to America, the land of my dreams, which could have been reality by an executive order by President Eisenhower to allow a greater number of Hungarian refugees to enter America, than was restricted by a decades old law.

Yet, look at what and who is allowed in or at least tolerated with an expired visa in America today: Muslim terrorists, Russian Maffiya. Mexican drug lords and Chechnians who bomb the Boston Marathon.

I never advocated military intervention in Hungary in 1956, and even as a green seventeen year old I realized that it would not happen.

All I was hoping for was a chance to go to America, the land of my dreams, which could have been reality by an executive order by President Eisenhower to allow a greater number of Hungarian refugees to enter America, than was restricted by a decades old law.

Yet, look at what and who is allowed in or at least tolerated with an expired visa in America today: Muslim terrorists, Russian Maffiya. Mexican drug lords and Chechnians who bomb the Boston Marathon.

Yes, imagine, Dwight Eisenhower believed that as President he had to respect the laws voted by Congress. How scandalous! Fortunately President Obama feels differently.

Let me encourage you to Google about SS St Louis, the ship that was turned away from all U.S. ports. For some reason my computer does not allow me to copy and paste to support my claim. It is not a lie, let alone a ludicrous one.

Also, view the old movie, "Ship Of Fools".

Despite the sympathy America has for the State of Israel, today, America does not have a proud record about its attitude towards Jews internally or internationally.

Let me encourage you to Google about SS St Louis, the ship that was turned away from all U.S. ports. For some reason my computer does not allow me to copy and paste to support my claim. It is not a lie, let alone a ludicrous one.

Also, view the old movie, "Ship Of Fools".

Despite the sympathy America has for the State of Israel, today, America does not have a proud record about its attitude towards Jews internally or internationally.

A few facts: 1939 is not 1943; the SS St. Louis sailed for Cuba (not the US). If you don't know historical facts it's better not illustrate your ignorance.

I have no doubt that the GOP will somehow find a way to fuck things up again and give the White House to the Dems a third straight time...

Lets just try to get some facts correct, shall we. The GOP did not fuck up in 2012, Romney was a good candidate and would have been a good president. He lost because we have a corrupt biased media and because half of the country is still obsessesed with "the first black president".

When the moderator of a debate is clearly taking sides, we have a corrupt media that has become nothing but a mouthpiece for one party.

That is the real danger we face in this country----a state controlled media. Were it not for talk radio and Fox, we would already be there.

I hope someone high ranking from the military runs. I don't care which party.

They've seen firsthand the bullshit from career politicians. It's time we had a career leader again!

sorry, Old School... the military ain't what it used to be...

it's now fulla pussies afraid of their own shadows...

I work with members of the military every single day. I know several who I wish would start a political career... but they won't. Because of the current culture of the military which is serve and don't be heard.

If a General of the United States Army told you something how much more would you listen to it than some congressman?

I want a President who commands authority. Someone who could stare Putin in the eye and win. But I don't know if that'll ever happen again :(
Then you probably want someone who has not been under government payroll for the last decade, for example, just for example, if I would be a leader of USA, my strategy with Putin would be to first be very polite and humble, and if he gives me any shit, I would invite him for a public debate where I would say things to him that would make him look like a total sack of shit, such as this: "I have been working in front of my concrete mixer all my life, I intend to be back working in front of my concrete mixer in 3 years after leaving office, you have been in power for 14 years, and how much longer do you plan to stay in power? why do you feel that you are more entitled than me to stay in power? are you more handsome? sexy? a better speaker? better fisherman than me?"
something like that. that is why I keep making these speeches, even if no one listens, because I BELIEVE I am onto something.

Forum List

Back