The problem with having tools...

I was looking for a rebuilt motor for my truck, I ran across a new motor for $2,400 but you had to assemble it...

That seems high...

I called a rebuilder in Springfield and they quoted me 2300 to rebuild a 302 and that's removal from the truck, magnafluxed, machined, rebuilt, reinstalled and out the door.

EDIT- OH...a brand new motor...that's different.

My problem with having tools is that now that I hardly ever use them they just sit there. No one will buy them for what they are worth so before I die (MAYBE) I'll just give them away.
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Had to do some duct work a few years ago...so I bought a metal bender. It's just been sitting around taking up space since. If I didn't have it, I probable wouldn't attempt this...but...since I have it...might as well...

...at least for me...

View attachment 484835
View attachment 484829

Link

A HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE DOLLARS?!?!?!

Hell...I can make that...
Hell yeah, some snips, a press break, and a MIG.
I'm going the try a rough cut with a jigsaw...then finishing cuta with the franken-metal-bandsaw...

...and a 30 inch harbor freight bender.

My problem is that these days you need a special bit for just about everything. I mean why the hell can they not just use standard or philips heads and stop it with the 100 different star bits where you have to have precisely the right one to not round off the head.
You can blame GM for those. Something about needing Phillips heads for something and somehow they couldn't buy them or were refused and they invented the torx head.
That and the great MOPAR caper..

...at least for me...

View attachment 484835
View attachment 484829

Link

I'm going the try a rough cut with a jigsaw...then finishing cuta with the franken-metal-bandsaw...

They call those brakes for some odd reason.

My problem is that these days you need a special bit for just about everything. I mean why the hell can they not just use standard or philips heads and stop it with the 100 different star bits where you have to have precisely the right one to not round off the head.
I bought a bit kit some years back from Taskforce, and it has...with a few exceptions...covered that particular frustration quite admirably for a cheap set. The ratchet and bit driver were worthless...but a few upgrades and some additions over the years have made it even more useful...

20210428_111747.jpg

Last edited:
Regardless, is it really that necessary to have a different torx head on each brand deck screw?
I was skeptical...but my wife turned me on to those goofy screws. They come witha bit...and too be honest...if you're power driving them in...they are actually very convenient...as they stick onto the drive, drive straight and don't strip nearly as easily as phillips do. JHMO...YMMV.

Would be nice if they were standardized...the ones I have are T25 head...

20210428_115250.jpg

Often in a pinch you can use an allen wrench on a torx screw, but only if it's not torqued down all the way.
Had that issue on the wife's brake rotors. Rotor had a acrew that held rotor on hub with a small torx type head, stripped immediately. After spraying a bunch of lubricant, I hammered a allen bit in and luckily got it free with an impact driver. Figured I had one chance and it worked.

"Torx+ plus screw's require a Torx+ plus tools for easy removal".

Filing this away for future reference. Good information to know...thanks for sharing.

How many times have you looked back and said "if I'd only known that...this would have been soooo much easier...."

Two bends, oil it up...and it returns to storage configuration.

20210428_153550.jpg

20210428_154632.jpg

Might need it again...but it's raining for now...on to another project...

...at least for me...

View attachment 484835
View attachment 484829

Link

They must be heavier than they look in the pics.

...at least for me...

View attachment 484835
View attachment 484829

Link

They call those brakes for some odd reason.
Breaks

Regardless, is it really that necessary to have a different torx head on each brand deck screw?
Unless it's a security bit and you have to be a licensed law enforcement agent in order to possess it.
where the hell did you come up with that crap???

you can buy them at harbor freight,,

F'ed it up...a little.

Tried putting a little shape onto it with a little ball peen hammer.

That didn't work...

20210428_184614.jpg

So...franken-bandsaw to the rescue.

Emergency redesign and back I business...

20210428_184608.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back