The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds plans Wind turbine

LOL.......in 20 years when wind and solar are still but 8% or 9% of our energy use, the k00ks will STILL be touting the death of fossil fuels!!!

And Skooks???

He'll still be throwing these guys up................

burgerking-7.jpg

Why don't you it interpret what it means in that graph I posted that I don't understand -- to idle the wind farm for bat avoidance in periods of "low wind". Just take the 100,000 KWh line and tell us approximately how many hours a week would be left when the field is generating anything significant? If that's too tough for you to do -- I don't care how many pages of cut/paste you do to avoid the discussion.. I'd have to assume you don't know enough to defend what you proposed as a "SOLUTION" to the bat chopping problem...

Again -- aren't you a little embarrassed to be spending soooo much time defending a sporadic and unreliable source with production graphs like that?

EVEN YOUR OWN cut/paste says...

A report on Denmark's wind power noted that their wind power network provided less than 1% of average demand on 54 days during the year 2002.[83] Wind power advocates argue that these periods of low wind can be dealt with by simply restarting existing power stations that have been held in readiness, or interlinking with HVDC.[84] Electrical grids with slow-responding thermal power plants and without ties to networks with hydroelectric generation may have to limit the use of wind power.

It's not just DAYS without wind, It's 20 minutes of wind, 40 minutes of next to nothing. "Restarting existing power stations that have been held in readiness" -- means that the ENTIRE COST of a PRIMARY power source that has been idled to take wind onto the grid needs to be added to the cost of Wind. The people sitting on their asses, the fuel the stations are burning, and the increased maintenance due to cycling the primary plants. A fact that NEGATES most of the other fluff in that kiss ass piece..

Think you can do that graph interpretation for me? Does that really look like a Reliable Alternative to a nuclear or nat gas plant?

While you're figuring out how to explain that chart to me DunderHead -- Let's check in and see how the 2MW wind turbines at MiddleGrund did this week...

July 25th --- 0.026MW
July 26th --- 0.070MW
July 27th --- 0.120MW
July 28th --- 0.330MW

Wow ---:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

After 3 days of producing almost nothing (and it would be for "bat avoidance")

we're finally up to 15% of RATED capacity.. What a freakin' deal eh??? Want to pay for 2MW and SOMETIMES get 15% of that? With the cost of back-up plant and a minute to minute dumping of somebody else's REAL power plant into the ground?

http://www.middelgrund.com/

History, Daily Summary, Middelgrunden
Date 7.28.2012
Turbine Wind Speed [m/s] Energy [kWh] Mean Power [kW]
T01 6.4 7,784 377.8
T02 6.1 128 5.4
T03 6.5 7,084 362.8
T04 6.1 7,224 356.4
T05 6.2 7,288 370.3
T06 6.1 7,396 358.6
T07 6.2 7,247 364.8
T08 6.0 7,156 359.7
T09 6.1 7,632 379.2
T10 6.1 7,516 376.4
Totals
Average 6.2 6,646 331.1
Sum All 66,455

Last edited:
While you're figuring out how to explain that chart to me DunderHead -- Let's check in and see how the 2MW wind turbines at MiddleGrund did this week...

July 25th --- 0.026MW
July 26th --- 0.070MW
July 27th --- 0.120MW
July 28th --- 0.330MW

we're finally up to 15% of RATED capacity.. What a freakin' deal eh??? Want to pay for 2MW and SOMETIMES get 15% of that? With the cost of back-up plant and a minute to minute dumping of somebody else's REAL power plant into the ground?

Date 7.28.2012
T01 6.4 7,784 377.8
T02 6.1 128 5.4
T03 6.5 7,084 362.8
T04 6.1 7,224 356.4
T05 6.2 7,288 370.3
T06 6.1 7,396 358.6
T07 6.2 7,247 364.8
T08 6.0 7,156 359.7
T09 6.1 7,632 379.2
T10 6.1 7,516 376.4
Totals
Average 6.2 6,646 331.1
Sum All 66,455

Wow.... that's pathetic. They do have some good info on the gear oil temps though!

July 25th --- 0.026MW
July 26th --- 0.070MW
July 27th --- 0.120MW
July 28th --- 0.330MW

Date 7.28.2012
T01 6.4 7,784 377.8
T02 6.1 128 5.4
T03 6.5 7,084 362.8
T04 6.1 7,224 356.4
T05 6.2 7,288 370.3
T06 6.1 7,396 358.6
T07 6.2 7,247 364.8
T08 6.0 7,156 359.7
T09 6.1 7,632 379.2
T10 6.1 7,516 376.4
Totals
Average 6.2 6,646 331.1
Sum All 66,455

Wow.... that's pathetic. They do have some good info on the gear oil temps though!

Republicans are weird lot, while crying "we love our freedom" they're willing to turn their energy independence over to a central corporate plutocracy -pewsh!-

"slashed deaths of bats by 93% while shaving just 1% off of power production,”

As we move forward-----forward toward American energy independence, we'll learn more and more about how to deal with situations that arise as we cross this new frontier. Last month an article was written about lowering bat fatalities by 93% while only losing 1% of the power production.

Scientists Save Bats and Birds from Wind Turbine Slaughter | Smart News

In the past two decades, wind generation in the United States has increased almost 50 times over, now comprising nearly a full quarter of the country’s renewable energy.

Arising from this push, though, is a huge problem for the birds and bats that live near wind farms, reports Meera Subramanian in Nature.
“The troubling issue with wind development is that we’re seeing a growing number of birds of conservation concern being killed by wind turbines,” says Albert Manville, a biologist with the US Fish and Wildlife Service in Arlington, Virginia.”
Indeed, bats seem to have a particularly rough time navigating turbines, notes Discovery News.
“Researchers have found the cause behind mysterious bat deaths near wind turbines, in which many bat carcasses appeared uninjured. The explanation to this puzzle is that the bats’ lungs effectively blow up from the rapid pressure drop that occurs as air flows over the turbine blades.”
Subramanian’s story describes a number of ongoing efforts to come up with ways to protect flying populations, while still allowing for the expansion of a sorely-needed form of renewable energy. In one case,
“Sometimes a slight change in procedures can make a big difference. For example, most turbines are set to turn on when wind speeds reach 4.0 metres per second. But when the Iberdrola Renewables Casselman Wind Project in Pennsylvania increased the threshold to 5.5 metres per second, it slashed deaths of bats — which don’t fly as much in high winds — by 93% while shaving just 1% off of power production, says Ed Arnett.”

"Properly deployed echolocation monitoring can be an effective way to predict bat activity and, presumably, fatalities at wind-energy facilities," Weller says. "These days, pre-construction echolocation monitoring is as common as meteorological monitoring at wind-energy facilities, so the basic building blocks for these models are available at most proposed sites."

I'll wait for better studies on the topic Star -- before doing a victory lap. Because it's largely seasonal and highly dependent on species and location -- I'm not buying one guys' interpretation of one result.

Show me the study and I might be more optomistic.. I'm highly skeptical that such a small change in wind threshold fixes the problem. UNLESS the bats go somewhere else when the wind is blowing that hard.

BTW: I'm also not impressed by a 50 times increase in wind power over 20 years. If YOU ARE --- you ought to get a statistics book and understand how these factoids are made..

Last edited:
I'll wait for better studies on the topic Star -- before doing a victory lap. Because it's largely seasonal and highly dependent on species and location -- I'm not buying one guys' interpretation of one result.

Show me the study and I might be more optomistic.. I'm highly skeptical that such a small change in wind threshold fixes the problem. UNLESS the bats go somewhere else when the wind is blowing that hard.

BTW: I'm also not impressed by a 50 times increase in wind power over 20 years. If YOU ARE --- you ought to get a statistics book and understand how these factoids are made..

As you know, staying abreast of the latest information is important. The more we learn the better we get at the strategy of building and running wind farms, we'll continue to lessen the already light environmental impact of wind farms.

The Myth: “Wind power harms the environment”

The Facts: Wind power… benefits the environment

Wind power has a light footprint. Its operation does not produce harmful emissions or any hazardous waste. It does not deplete natural resources in the way that fossil fuels do, nor does it cause environmental damage through resource extraction, transport and waste management.

In a wind farm the turbines themselves take up less than 1 of the land area. Once up and running, existing activities such as agriculture and hiking can continue around them. Farm animals such as cows and sheep are not disturbed.

Any impacts on the local environment (see below) must be set against the much more serious effects of not developing renewable energy sources and thereby aggravating the pressures of climate change on the balance of nature.

Wind power… has limited impacts on habitats and wildlife
Wind farm developers are required to undertake an Environmental Impact Assessment to ensure that their potential effect on the immediate surroundings, including fauna and flora, are carefully considered before construction is allowed to start. They also work closely with conservation and wildlife groups to ensure that new developments are sympathetic to existing habitats. In many cases impacts can be avoided or reduced by adjusting the location of the whole project, the number of turbines or re-siting individual turbines.

Wind power’s overall impact on birds, bats, other wildlife and natural habitats is highly site specific. In addition, impacts from wind power are extremely low compared with other human-related activities. Deaths from birds flying into wind turbines represent a small fraction of those caused by other human-related sources such as cats and buildings. US statistics show 1 billion birds are killed by colliding with buildings each year and up to 80 million by vehicles. By comparison, it’s estimated that commercial wind turbines in the US cause the direct deaths of only 0.01 - 0.02 of all of the birds killed annually by collisions with man-made structures and activities.

In Europe, a 2003 study in the Spanish province of Navarra - where 692 turbines were then operating in 18 wind farms - found that the annual mortality rate of medium and large birds was just 0.13 per turbine.

In the UK, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds says that “we have not so far witnessed any major adverse effects on birds associated with wind farms.”

Despite this minimal impact, extensive efforts are made to avoid siting wind farms in areas which might attract large numbers of birds or bats, such as migration routes. Avian studies are routinely conducted at wind sites before projects are proposed, and any changes monitored afterwards. With careful siting and strategic planning, the most sensitive areas can be avoided and wind development can proceed quickly.

Wind2.jpg

Look at you.. All Green and puffed out and proud.. Posting shit that says the Royal Society has not seen any major evidence -- when they've been in court REPEATEDLY to challenge Wind Farms.

Just look at the hypocrital defense you're trying to mount. Well it''s settled. Not a problem. I DEMAND the DOE and other government agencies STOP funding bird protection studies for wind farms..

Doesn't matter anyway with the kind of performance I posted in those MiddleGrund charts above.
It's a technique that is so variable and unreliable, it cannot be added to the grid without having a full and complete PRIMARY plant running in the background.

The fad is almost over. The Global market for wind energy is crashing like a rock. And the adults will be back in charge of providing dependable full-time power sources so that you can have EVs and not worry about pulling you phone chargers out of the wall.

But it's been real entertaining to reveal the ABSOLUTE hypocrisy of the Green faction while they are defending the indefensible and applying double standards.

Double standards like ----

Wind farm developers are required to undertake an Environmental Impact Assessment to ensure that their potential effect on the immediate surroundings, including fauna and flora, are carefully considered before construction is allowed to start. They also work closely with conservation and wildlife groups to ensure that new developments are sympathetic to existing habitats. In many cases impacts can be avoided or reduced by adjusting the location of the whole project, the number of turbines or re-siting individual turbines.

Take out "turbines" -- insert "drilling sites" or "nuclear power plants" or dams and tell me if that's OK...

Last edited:

July 25th --- 0.026MW
July 26th --- 0.070MW
July 27th --- 0.120MW
July 28th --- 0.330MW

Date 7.28.2012
T01 6.4 7,784 377.8
T02 6.1 128 5.4
T03 6.5 7,084 362.8
T04 6.1 7,224 356.4
T05 6.2 7,288 370.3
T06 6.1 7,396 358.6
T07 6.2 7,247 364.8
T08 6.0 7,156 359.7
T09 6.1 7,632 379.2
T10 6.1 7,516 376.4
Totals
Average 6.2 6,646 331.1
Sum All 66,455

Republicans are weird lot, while crying "we love our freedom" they're willing to turn their energy independence over to a central corporate plutocracy -pewsh!-

As we move forward-----forward toward American energy independence, we'll learn more and more about how to deal with situations that arise as we cross this new frontier. Last month an article was written about lowering bat fatalities by 93% while only losing 1% of the power production.

In the past two decades, wind generation in the United States has increased almost 50 times over, now comprising nearly a full quarter of the country’s renewable energy.

Arising from this push, though, is a huge problem for the birds and bats that live near wind farms, reports Meera Subramanian in Nature.
“The troubling issue with wind development is that we’re seeing a growing number of birds of conservation concern being killed by wind turbines,” says Albert Manville, a biologist with the US Fish and Wildlife Service in Arlington, Virginia.”
Indeed, bats seem to have a particularly rough time navigating turbines, notes Discovery News.
“Researchers have found the cause behind mysterious bat deaths near wind turbines, in which many bat carcasses appeared uninjured. The explanation to this puzzle is that the bats’ lungs effectively blow up from the rapid pressure drop that occurs as air flows over the turbine blades.”
Subramanian’s story describes a number of ongoing efforts to come up with ways to protect flying populations, while still allowing for the expansion of a sorely-needed form of renewable energy. In one case,
“Sometimes a slight change in procedures can make a big difference. For example, most turbines are set to turn on when wind speeds reach 4.0 metres per second. But when the Iberdrola Renewables Casselman Wind Project in Pennsylvania increased the threshold to 5.5 metres per second, it slashed deaths of bats — which don’t fly as much in high winds — by 93% while shaving just 1% off of power production, says Ed Arnett.”

"Properly deployed echolocation monitoring can be an effective way to predict bat activity and, presumably, fatalities at wind-energy facilities," Weller says. "These days, pre-construction echolocation monitoring is as common as meteorological monitoring at wind-energy facilities, so the basic building blocks for these models are available at most proposed sites."

Poorly educated political idealogues are funny. They wish to spend ridiculous amounts of money on power systems that won't work, that cost many times more than what they are attempting to replace, that do more environmental harm than the systems they are attempting to replace, and they say we are the ones with no ideas.

No, our ideas are geared to rewarding efficiency. We regard competition to be a good thing as that is ultimately what drives progress. Tell me. Why would anyone invest time and energy in research when the government gives them all the money they ask for with no strings attached?

That's why electric vehicles are little better than the electric vehicles of 100 years ago. That's why wind power is a failure everywhere it is attempted. Solar has a chance. On the local scale, individual households, small business's etc. solar has a place and I hope that research continues in it. However, scaled up to town size, the technology has severe problems. There are a very few areas where I think it can still work and I'm consulting with a startup who aims to do just that, but they are realists and wish to do right for the customers and the environment which is a refreshing change from the Solyndra's of the world.

Last edited:

Poorly educated political idealogues are funny. they wish to spend ridiculous amounts of money on power systems that won't work, that cost many times more than what they are attempting to replace, that do more environmental harm than the systems they are attempting to replace, and they say we are the ones with no ideas.

No, our ideas are geared to rewarding efficiency. We regard competition to be a good thing as that is ultimately what drives progress. Tell me. Why would anyone invest time and energy in research when the government gives them all the money they ask for with no strings attached?

That's why electric vehicles are little better than the electric vehicles of 100 years ago. That's why wind power is a failure everywhere it is attempted. Solar has a chance. On the local scale, individual households, small business's etc. solar has a place and I hope that research continues in it. However, scaled up to town size, the technology has severe problems. There are a very few areas where I think it can still work and I'm consulting with a startup who aims to do just that, but they are realists and wish to do right for the customers and the environment which is a refreshing change from the Solyndra's of the world.

:clap2: :eusa_clap: :clap2:

Turbines will kill raptors because raptors soar and glide, which will let them get sucked into a turbine.

Birds are smart, so if killer emissions are reduced, they will do fine, with the turbines.

Still, if a raptor follows a smart, little bird, toward a turbine, that raptor needs to watch out, now. Prey species have already learned, to use those turbines, against raptors.

Wind turbines are to raptors what a flame is to a moth. The flicker rate of the blades mesmerise the birds and draws them in to the kill. No bird is smart enough to avoid the blade, some are lucky, most aren't. If your goal is to drive raptors, buzzards and vulturs to extinction your precious little wind farms will do just that.

They won't produce enough usable power however, ever.

Please present supporting evidence for your raptor "flicker rate" facination assertions.

Turbines will kill raptors because raptors soar and glide, which will let them get sucked into a turbine.

Birds are smart, so if killer emissions are reduced, they will do fine, with the turbines.

Still, if a raptor follows a smart, little bird, toward a turbine, that raptor needs to watch out, now. Prey species have already learned, to use those turbines, against raptors.

Wind turbines are to raptors what a flame is to a moth. The flicker rate of the blades mesmerise the birds and draws them in to the kill. No bird is smart enough to avoid the blade, some are lucky, most aren't. If your goal is to drive raptors, buzzards and vulturs to extinction your precious little wind farms will do just that.

Please present supporting evidence for your raptor "flicker rate" facination assertions.

Why bother, you won't read it anyway. You just like to try and make people waste time appeasing your demands.

Go play on your "sceptic" board. They all love you so stay there. No critical thinking allowed there becaue the "science is settled":lol:

DOE has spent MILLIONS on studying raptor vision systems to understand why they prefer to cruise wind turbine sites. Multiple "solutions" to painting, sonic deterrents, and varying spacing failed. There IS an avian fascination for these species. But my academic wildlife mgt buds insist it has more to do with the plethora of rodents that are attracted to the base structures and the fact that they seem to like cruising the buffeting currents of air that are created by these machines..

Why bother, you won't read it anyway. You just like to try and make people waste time appeasing your demands.

Go play on your "sceptic" board. They all love you so stay there. No critical thinking allowed there becaue the "science is settled"

LOL! so I am free to take this as yet another instance where you are substituting il-considered and unsupported speculation (and more than a touch of sour grape irrelevency and ad hom) in the stead of studied understanding and research supported consideration?

Go play on your "sceptic" board. They all love you so stay there. No critical thinking allowed there becaue the "science is settled"

LOL! so I am free to take this as yet another instance where you are substituting il-considered and unsupported speculation (and more than a touch of sour grape irrelevency and ad hom) in the stead of studied understanding and research supported consideration?

No, you may take it as a recognition of your intellectual dishonesty and not having a desire to feed the trolls.

wind turbines ar gay..........nothing more than a bone thrown to the environmental k00ks who are profoundly exploited by the clever money chasers.

@Westwall. See that just goes to show again how ignorant these wannabee "scientists" are. You and I have a pilot`s license he doesn`t. The term "flicker vertigo" would be a complete unknown to someone who would rather live in the stone or the "OldRocks" age:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptQHY_5Agls"]Flicker Vertigo - YouTube[/ame]
Every pilot knows about it and is cautioned how severe the effects can be.
It affects birds, humans and any animal that has eyes.
Flicker vertigo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Flicker vertigo, sometimes called the Bucha effect, is "an imbalance in brain-cell activity caused by exposure to low-frequency flickering (or flashing) of a relatively bright light."[1] It is a disorientation-, vertigo-, and nausea-inducing effect of a strobe light flashing at 1 Hz to 20 Hz, approximately the frequency of human brainwaves.[2][3] The effects are similar to seizures caused by epilepsy (in particular photosensitive epilepsy), but are not restricted to people with histories of epilepsy.
This phenomenon has been observed during helicopter flight; a Dr. Bucha identified the phenomenon in the 1950s when called upon to investigate a series of similar and unexplained helicopter crashes. Flicker vertigo in a helicopter occurs when the pilot or front passenger looks up through the blades of the main rotor as it turns in the sun causing the light to strobe. The strobe light effect causes persons who are vulnerable to flicker vertigo to become disoriented, lose control of the aircraft or have a seizure. A similar situation can occur in fixed wing flight whenever flickering light conditions exist. An example would be looking through a slowly spinning propeller while the airplane is landing facing the sun.[4]
And of course as with anything else that is harmful:

Flicker vertigo has been considered as a principle for various forms of non-lethal weapon.[6] A related crowd-control device was invented by Charles Bovill, which "employed a combination of ultra-sonic waves and strobe lights to induce acute discomfort, sickness, disorientation and sometimes epilepsy."[7]
Even if that wasn`t so the main problem both with wind turbines and solar if You want to run them as a power grid and not just an interesting hobby is that:
scaled.php

And it came to that because the greeny bird brains have no clue what a power grid is.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2H38UpdQhM&list=UUvj7dbOY14kt_MFIR1Y1iwA&index=9&feature=plcp"]How Climate Science destroyed Germany.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Power on demand and generating power when it`s possible are 2 entirely different concepts.

Last edited:
@Westwall. See that just goes to show again how ignorant these wannabee "scientists" are. You and I have a pilot`s license he doesn`t. The term "flicker vertigo" would be a complete unknown to someone who would rather live in the stone or the "OldRocks" age:

You presume too much. I've maintained a pilot's license for more than a half century now. From your source:

Flicker vertigo, sometimes called the Bucha effect, is "an imbalance in brain-cell activity caused by exposure to low-frequency flickering (or flashing) of a relatively bright light."[1] It is a disorientation-, vertigo-, and nausea-inducing effect of a strobe light flashing at 1 Hz to 20 Hz, approximately the frequency of human brainwaves.[2][3] The effects are similar to seizures caused by epilepsy (in particular photosensitive epilepsy), but are not restricted to people with histories of epilepsy.

care to hazard a guess as to the turbine rotation rate of commercial power turbines? typically max out is 3-5 rpm. This means that a three blade rotor,...assuming that each blade is identical and presents the same angled face to the target, is going to repeat incidence between 9 and 15 times a minute. This means flashes once every 4-7 seconds. Assuming you realize the difference between 1-20 times per second and once every 4-7 seconds, what evidence can you point to that supports that commercial power wind turbines generate flicker-rate fascination in raptors.

You presume too much. I've maintained a pilot's license for more than a half century now. From your source:

care to hazard a guess as to the turbine rotation rate of commercial power turbines? typically max out is 3-5 rpm. This means that a three blade rotor,...assuming that each blade is identical and presents the same angled face to the target, is going to repeat incidence between 9 and 15 times a minute. This means flashes once every 4-7 seconds. Assuming you realize the difference between 1-20 times per second and once every 4-7 seconds, what evidence can you point to that supports that commercial power wind turbines generate flicker-rate fascination in raptors.

For you to compare the vision system of a bird of prey to human vision and ASSUME that all effects would be the same is just not very astute.

Forum List

Back