The "social contract" that doesn't exist

Yup, there is a social compact in America, and, nope, you can't drop out.

then walk away.

your not in chains you fucking idiot

Why should I have to walk away from anything? When did I agree to do that?

You're only proving that you're a moron.

Social Contract - an implicit agreement among the members of a society to cooperate for social benefits, for example by sacrificing some individual freedom for state protection. Theories of a social contract became popular in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries among theorists such as Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau, as a means of explaining the origin of government and the obligations of subjects.

Other than this theory, what do you suppose is the purpose of government and the obligations of citizens?

Describe for us the utopia assumed by the Libertarian Ideology you seem to be in support of, and explain how such a theory might govern a nation of 300 Million diverse inhabitants.

The Idea of a Private Law Society

The Idea of a Private Law Society - Hans-Hermann Hoppe - Mises Daily

In the past, Republicans thought that the market ought to set wages, and that a combination of government devices—including the earned-income tax credit, housing subsidies, food stamps, Medicaid, and other social-welfare programs—could fill in the gaps to make that social contract work, while also trying to remove disincentives from work via welfare reform.

The Moral and Economic Case for Raising the Minimum Wage

Three points to make here:

• How is it possible that the left is incapable of comprehending that if the minimum wage for flipping a burger goes up 20%, the cost of the burger goes up 20%, which means the cost of shipping that burger to each store goes up 20%, which means the cost of electricity goes up 20%, which means the minimum wage worker is no further ahead than they were before the minimum wage went up 20%? I'm literally astounded by the left's ignorant belief that every action occurs in a vacuum. This is basic stuff that even small children understand.

• The solution to the problem is pretty damn simple. Stop subsidizing the failure of the individual. If they can't put food on their table, there are 6 mechanisms of safety nets to ensure food gets there that do not include government. If 6 safety nets are not enough, well, then you were destined to go hungry. Just accept it and move on (and we all know that will NEVER happen with 6 safety nets, but that won't stop the liberals on USMB from making outrageous scenario's where those safety nets aren't enough).

• Once again we see the left literally make stuff up out of thin air. What "social contract"?!? I've never seen one. And I sure as hell never signed one.

Really now. Maybe you just haven't been paying attention for the last 50 or 60 years? You certainly never took political science or philosophy at the community college you went to for a couple of years....

Social Contract Theory
Social Contract Theory*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]
Social contract theory, nearly as old as philosophy itself, is the view that persons’ moral and/or political obligations are dependent upon a contract or agreement among them to form the society in which they live. Socrates uses something quite like a social contract argument to explain to Crito why he must remain in prison and accept the death penalty. However, social contract theory is rightly associated with modern moral and political theory and is given its first full exposition and defense by Thomas Hobbes.

After Hobbes, John Locke and Jean-Jacques Rousseau are the best known proponents of this enormously influential theory, which has been one of the most dominant theories within moral and political theory throughout the history of the modern West. In the twentieth century, moral and political theory regained philosophical momentum as a result of John Rawls’ Kantian version of social contract theory, and was followed by new analyses of the subject by David Gauthier and others.

More recently, philosophers from different perspectives have offered new criticisms of social contract theory. In particular, feminists and race-conscious philosophers have argued that social contract theory is at least an incomplete picture of our moral and political lives, and may in fact camouflage some of the ways in which the contract is itself parasitical upon the subjugations of classes of persons.

LMAO! Thank you for proving what idiots liberals are [MENTION=41423]NoTeaPartyPleez[/MENTION]. There is no "social contract". Just a made up liberal "theory" to justify that which liberals cannot justify with facts and law... :lmao:

Social Contract - an implicit agreement among the members of a society to cooperate for social benefits, for example by sacrificing some individual freedom for state protection. Theories of a social contract became popular in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries among theorists such as Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau, as a means of explaining the origin of government and the obligations of subjects.

Other than this theory, what do you suppose is the purpose of government and the obligations of citizens?

Describe for us the utopia assumed by the Libertarian Ideology you seem to be in support of, and explain how such a theory might govern a nation of 300 Million diverse inhabitants.

I have only one question, was Hans-Hermann's Muse LSD or another hallucinogenic drug?

In the past, Republicans thought that the market ought to set wages, and that a combination of government devices—including the earned-income tax credit, housing subsidies, food stamps, Medicaid, and other social-welfare programs—could fill in the gaps to make that social contract work, while also trying to remove disincentives from work via welfare reform.

But this (what you wrote above) is irrelevant now because of the monopolies that have seized control of American commerce. That combined with the 2008 economic crash has put the employer in the driver's seat and the employee in the trunk. So the social contract has unfortunately become obsolete.

First of all, there is no "contract". I've added the definition below. An ignorant "theory" made up by liberals in a desperate attempt to support an ignorant position that is unsupportable with facts and law is not a contract. The only "contract" we have is the U.S. Constitution and that clearly protects the individual from the dangers of the communist collective you so cherish and worship.

Second, there are no "monopolies" in the free market - save for a few such as the NFL, NBA, etc. which have been given permission from the U.S. government to operate as monopolies and pay dearly for that right.

con·tract
noun
ˈkänˌtrakt/
1. a written or spoken agreement, esp. one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law.
"both parties must sign employment contracts"
synonyms: agreement, commitment, arrangement, settlement, understanding, compact, covenant, bond;

The Moral and Economic Case for Raising the Minimum Wage

Three points to make here:

• How is it possible that the left is incapable of comprehending that if the minimum wage for flipping a burger goes up 20%, the cost of the burger goes up 20%, which means the cost of shipping that burger to each store goes up 20%, which means the cost of electricity goes up 20%, which means the minimum wage worker is no further ahead than they were before the minimum wage went up 20%? I'm literally astounded by the left's ignorant belief that every action occurs in a vacuum. This is basic stuff that even small children understand.

• The solution to the problem is pretty damn simple. Stop subsidizing the failure of the individual. If they can't put food on their table, there are 6 mechanisms of safety nets to ensure food gets there that do not include government. If 6 safety nets are not enough, well, then you were destined to go hungry. Just accept it and move on (and we all know that will NEVER happen with 6 safety nets, but that won't stop the liberals on USMB from making outrageous scenario's where those safety nets aren't enough).

• Once again we see the left literally make stuff up out of thin air. What "social contract"?!? I've never seen one. And I sure as hell never signed one.

The loyal leftist feel the cost should not be passed on to the consumer rather should be absorbed by the business :cuckoo:

-Geaux

Exactly - yet another example of their astounding ignorance. Their belief that the action will occur in a vacuum and the business will simply eat that cost is mind-numbingly stupid. No business is going to eat the cost of anything. Any form of government regulation that creates cost will be offset by price increases by the business. And that has a ripple effect across all business and industry.

They've raised the minimum wage about 20 times in my lifetime and people making minimum wage are still poor. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results each time... :cuckoo:

then walk away.

your not in chains you fucking idiot

you know if this social contract you claim existed actually did exist, we wouldn't have crime. we wouldn't have 16,000 homicides a year. we wouldn't have assaults, rapes, robberies, bullying, cheating, drunk driving, drug addiction, scams, corporate theft. this so called contract is a big fail. we're giving up rights and freedoms for this?

ok, hows this, since we are willing to give up rights and freedoms for state protection. Racial profiling is ok. demanding a federal id is ok. the patriot act is ok.

wow if you are correct OP then you should have no problem convincing the American people in elections to vote your way.

does that mean you will stop cheating your asses off to win elections?

The problem is, it is very easy to win elections by promising people they can be lazy, useless, fuck'n parasites (like you) in exchange for their votes and surrendering their freedom.

It's hard to win elections when you have to tell people the harsh truth that they need to get up off of their worthless, lazy asses and provide for themselves in life.

People like you are an embarrassment to America [MENTION=5217]Truthmatters[/MENTION]. How you can be proud to be a parasite boggles my mind. It used to be shameful in America to not pull your own weight.

I'm not going to discuss the philosophy behind why we study models and theories in abstract, and how such study benefits understanding. You yourself have normative views. But such a discussion doesn't belong here. I suggest you create a new forum exclusively for the philosophical debate, or do some enlightened learning on your own.

The Rousseauvian ceremonies never happened because the First French Republic never stabilized. If you would like to read about them, however, I would suggest studying the writings of Louis Antoine de Saint-Just, who (although a despicable excuse for a human being) sketched out how the ceremonies would happen. They're interesting, a little scary. Very hunger-games esque with costumed district parades. I wonder if that's where Collins got her inspiration.

The French Revolution was in no way communist. Not at all. That is fact, unfortunately ignored by Glenn Beck and his followers. Perhaps you might like some background reading on that. I can recommend a few books.

You accept your citizenship of a country, correct? You are given it by rights of birth, but can relinquish it at any time. That is your decision to remain a citizen, your decision to continue in the social knot. Go to the us immigration website for more info.

Your last assignment is to do a quick google search on 19th century literature and it's connection to philosophy. It's the only way for you to understand what Hugo was and why he was important.

Well said. And...

The French Revolution sought in part to move power from French Nobility and lingering feudal hierarchies to a newly emerging merchant class (the Bourgeoisie) - who would replace heredity privilege with [things like] broadly inclusive elections and legal property rights. It was also modernity's first fight between the liberal defenders of individual freedom and the Conservative protectorate of Tradition and the Old Regime. This is why men like Glenn Beck are dangerous, not least because his reading of the French Revolution is so dangerously and ironically close to Hitler's, who thought the French Revolution was replacing tradition with a leveling and abstract universalism ("Rights of Man" as opposed to the "Glory of Germans").

Tragically, we have an entire generation of Republicans who get nearly 100% of their information from charismatic hucksters like Beck, Limbaugh, Savage, Hannity, Levine and Coulter, all of whom are emphatically not qualified to teach history, not least because they never cover all sides of an issue. They literally cherry pick "facts" and distort the truth based on a deeply political agenda.

Last edited:

you know if this social contract you claim existed actually did exist, we wouldn't have crime. we wouldn't have 16,000 homicides a year. we wouldn't have assaults, rapes, robberies, bullying, cheating, drunk driving, drug addiction, scams, corporate theft. this so called contract is a big fail. we're giving up rights and freedoms for this?

ok, hows this, since we are willing to give up rights and freedoms for state protection. Racial profiling is ok. demanding a federal id is ok. the patriot act is ok.

Boom! Spoonman delivers the knock-out blow to the ignorant liberal with the false narrative hoping to create the impossible utopia!

Remember Spoonman - the liberal is never consistent in their position (which is why they lose their fuck'n minds in an argument - because it's so easy to point out their irrational contradictions). So no, they are no ok with racial profiling but they are ok with surrendering you're 1st, 2nd, and 4th Amendment rights. They can't really tell you why, but they don't have to. They'll just use the absurd narrative that "you simply don't get it". :lol:

wow if you are correct OP then you should have no problem convincing the American people in elections to vote your way.

The problem is, it is very easy to win elections by promising people they can be lazy, useless, fuck'n parasites (like you) in exchange for their votes and surrendering their freedom.

It's hard to win elections when you have to tell people the harsh truth that they need to get up off of their worthless, lazy asses and provide for themselves in life.

People like you are an embarrassment to America [MENTION=5217]Truthmatters[/MENTION]. How you can be proud to be a parasite boggles my mind. It used to be shameful in America to not pull your own weight.

so you condone the republican party cheating in elections?

hey taintwallow your the side who wants IDs for voting remember?

so you will convince people instead of cheating to win.

great news for democracy

The only one's caught cheating have been Dumbocrats genius. In Madison, WI (during the Walker re-call election), they have a voter turn out of 107%. Oops! You people aren't intelligent enough to even cheat right... :eusa_doh:

It speaks volumes that you people don't want someone to have to present legitimate, simple ID to ensure a clean election.

so you condone the republican party cheating in elections?

The Dumbocrats have been caught cheating in elections over and over and over. Not once have the Republican's been caught doing that. But that doesn't stop your false narrative, does it parasite?

Remember, we're the side that wants voter ID for a fair and clean election. Speaks volumes that you don't... :eusa_whistle:

mises is Austrian short bus economics crap

so you think cheating in elections is warrented because your too stupid to figure out how to leave a country you hate?

I love the false narrative of this dumb ****. Her and her side cheats in elections, but she attempts to accuse the opposition of that.

Conservatives are the side that love and embrace everything about America, its history, and the U.S. Constitution, while the liberals loathe everything about America (free markets), its history (can you say "slave rapers"?), and the U.S. Constitution (too many examples to list).

Cuba has everything LiesMatters desires, yet she won't go live there. I wonder why that is....:eusa_whistle:

hey taintwallow your the side who wants IDs for voting remember?

yes, and your side just agreed it is ok to give up these freedoms for this social contract. so lets get registering people

Forum List

Back