🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Spreading Plague of Antibacterial Products

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

The Spreading Plague of Antibacterial Products | The Progressive

Have you had your daily minimum requirement of triclosan today? How about your dosage of triclocarban?

Chances are you have, but don't know it. These two are antimicrobial chemicals, which might sound like a good thing, except that they disrupt the human body's normal regulatory processes. Animal studies show, for example, that these triclos can be linked to the scrambling of hormones in children, disruption of puberty and of the reproductive system, decreases in thyroid hormone levels that affect brain development, and other serious health problems.

Yet, corporations have slipped them into all sorts of consumer products, pushing them with a blitz of advertising that claim the antibacterial ingredients prevent the spread of infections. The two chemicals were originally meant for use by surgeons to cleanse their hands before operations, but that tiny application has now proliferated like a plague, constantly exposing practically everyone to small amounts here, there, and everywhere, adding up to dangerous mega-doses.

<snip>

Whoooa.. Dont tell me that you trust government science to tell you the truth... FDA says they have no evidence that triclosan presents a hazard to humans.

But anything that prevalent whose other use is a pesticide, is probably worth some attention. Tell the EPA to take a break from killer CO2 and look into it.

I'm surprised that this poster is not complaining about triclosan and triclocarbon creating resistant organisms. That would seem to be the greatest threat from widespread use of these materials.

I'm surprised that this poster is not complaining about triclosan and triclocarbon creating resistant organisms. That would seem to be the greatest threat from widespread use of these materials.

Since there are multiple posters on this thread, it's impossible to know who you mean when you say "this poster" but-----but you're right the closer we look at the downstream consequences of antibacterial products the worse they look.

Minnesota Bans Antibacterial Triclosan | TIME.com

Maya Rhodan
May 19, 2014

<snip>

According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), triclosan is not known to be harmful to humans, but a growing number of studies suggest that the chemical may cause hormone disruption. The FDA has said it is “engaged in an ongoing scientific and regulatory review,” but that it doesn’t have enough information to recommend that consumers stop using it.

Some consumer products have already begun dropping the chemical, which is in about 75% of all antibacterial soaps sold in America. Procter & Gamble

and-----and from the Crest Toothpaste website

Triclosan

triclosan_article.png

Crest toothpastes are 100% TRICLOSAN FREE. Triclosan is an antibacterial agent found in some consumer products. The active ingredient in Crest Pro-Health toothpastes is stannous fluoride. The stabilized form of stannous fluoride found in Crest Pro-Health is clinically proven to protect against gingivitis, plaque, tooth sensitivity and bad breath, while still providing the trusted cavity protection you expect from Crest. For more information about Crest products, please contact Consumer Relations.

Since there are multiple posters on this thread, it's impossible to know who you mean when you say "this poster" but-----but you're right the closer we look at the downstream consequences of antibacterial products the worse they look.

I was referring to the lead post, which was yours.

The world is filled with things that are of mixed threat to our health and well-being. As with most of them, there is a trade-off between the antibacterial benefits and the direct toxicity should we decide to wolf down a few pounds of straight toothpaste (and on an empty stomach). But I think the toxicity issues are secondary to the development of resistant bacterial strains that our national obsession with sanitation has driven. We all need to get a little dirty now and then. It's good for us.

Last edited:

I was referring to the lead post, which was yours.

The world is filled with things that are of mixed threat to our health and well-being. As with most of them, there is a trade-off between the antibacterial benefits and the direct toxicity should we decide to wolf down a few pounds of straight toothpaste (and on an empty stomach). But I think the toxicity issues are secondary to the development of resistant bacterial strains that our national obsession with sanitation has driven. We all need to get a little dirty now and then. It's good for us.
You managed to straddle the fence on that.

For the record MN politicians aren't the smartest.... just sayin

I don't know how you go about measuring how smart a legislature is and-----and I don't know enough about Minnesota or it's legislature to comment about how smart the Minnesota legislature is but-----but Business Insider did a study of the nation's high school students. By extrapolating the information gleaned from that study, it looks to me like you're full of it.

The States With The Smartest High School Students - Business Insider

Alyson Penn
May 14, 2014

<snip>

The research engine looked at scores from the SAT, ACT, AP, and National Assessment of Educational Progress tests from each state's department of education and created a Public School Rating from one to five.
They found that students with the best scores came from New Hampshire (5), Minnesota (4.92), and Massachusetts (4.92), while the worst scores were in Mississippi (2.97).

Check out the interactive map here:

Forum List

Back