The Supreme Court Needs Term Limits

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Check out this ignorant opinion..

Hey asshole the Supreme Court is about following the Constitution not the touchy feely politics of the day, that's why a right wing supreme Court made abortion , gay marriage legal .

Opinion | The Supreme Court Needs Term Limits

No other major democracy has lifetime appointments to its highest court. Only the United States does, and it creates all kinds of problems.

For one, our system often does not respect the will of the people. Rather than the Supreme Court’s makeup being determined by elections over many years, it’s based on a combination of those elections and the randomness of how long justices live. Jimmy Carter was unable to make a single nomination to the court because no justice died or retired during his four-year presidency. Richard Nixon filled four seats during his five-and-a-half years as president.

“The policy future of the country,” Norm Ornstein of the American Enterprise Institute has written, “depends as much on the actuarial tables and the luck of the draw for presidents as it does on the larger trends in politics and society.”

This unfairness born of randomness isn’t the only problem. Given the deep partisan polarization in America, lifetime appointments have also turned confirmations into epic political battles. That’s why the Brett Kavanaugh process feels so momentous. It’s why the Merrick Garland process — or the lack of one — still enrages so many people.

“It makes the stakes too high,” the political scientist Lee Drutman wrote this summer in Vox. “So here’s a simple idea to dial down some of the destructive warfare of the Supreme Court confirmation process: term limits for Supreme Court justices.”

Yes, indeed. Term limits for the court are an excellent idea. It would take a constitutional amendment, but that’s O.K. The United States has already amended its Constitution 27 times — or an average of about once every nine years. We are overdue for at least one more amendment.

The most appealing idea to me is staggered 18-year terms on the court, with each four-year presidential term automatically bringing two appointments. Such a system would be more consistent with democratic principles. It would have several ancillary benefits, too. Aging justices would no longer hang on to their jobs past the point when they should (which has been a real problem in the past). And as Ornstein notes, highly qualified candidates in their late 50s and early 60s — who are now largely ignored by presidents — would be considered for the court.

What the SC actually needs is to be used in its intended manner, adjudicating, not legislating from the bench as an end run for progressives to get what they want regardless of the will of the people.

Check out this ignorant opinion..

Hey asshole the Supreme Court is about following the Constitution not the touchy feely politics of the day, that's why a right wing supreme Court made abortion , gay marriage legal .

Opinion | The Supreme Court Needs Term Limits

No other major democracy has lifetime appointments to its highest court. Only the United States does, and it creates all kinds of problems.

For one, our system often does not respect the will of the people. Rather than the Supreme Court’s makeup being determined by elections over many years, it’s based on a combination of those elections and the randomness of how long justices live. Jimmy Carter was unable to make a single nomination to the court because no justice died or retired during his four-year presidency. Richard Nixon filled four seats during his five-and-a-half years as president.

“The policy future of the country,” Norm Ornstein of the American Enterprise Institute has written, “depends as much on the actuarial tables and the luck of the draw for presidents as it does on the larger trends in politics and society.”

This unfairness born of randomness isn’t the only problem. Given the deep partisan polarization in America, lifetime appointments have also turned confirmations into epic political battles. That’s why the Brett Kavanaugh process feels so momentous. It’s why the Merrick Garland process — or the lack of one — still enrages so many people.

“It makes the stakes too high,” the political scientist Lee Drutman wrote this summer in Vox. “So here’s a simple idea to dial down some of the destructive warfare of the Supreme Court confirmation process: term limits for Supreme Court justices.”

Yes, indeed. Term limits for the court are an excellent idea. It would take a constitutional amendment, but that’s O.K. The United States has already amended its Constitution 27 times — or an average of about once every nine years. We are overdue for at least one more amendment.

The most appealing idea to me is staggered 18-year terms on the court, with each four-year presidential term automatically bringing two appointments. Such a system would be more consistent with democratic principles. It would have several ancillary benefits, too. Aging justices would no longer hang on to their jobs past the point when they should (which has been a real problem in the past). And as Ornstein notes, highly qualified candidates in their late 50s and early 60s — who are now largely ignored by presidents — would be considered for the court.
Well....you get right on that Constitutional Amendment, ok?

It’s a good idea.

When the con was created the life span of people was no where near what it is today .

If you approve a 45 year old Judge today she can potentially serve for 35 years !

It’s a good idea.

When the con was created the life span of people was no where near what it is today .

If you approve a 45 year old Judge today she can potentially serve for 35 years !

Why? The Constitution doesn't change

You know, that is a good idea. If they are appointed, it should be for 10 to 15 years, which is about half of a generation. Views, morals, and other things change in society over time, so why not limit terms that SC judges can serve? You don't want someone serving right now who was appointed in the 1980's, because they might not be willing to change with the times.

It’s a good idea.

How many amendments do we have ? It’s designed to change .

Another one goes over the well dweller's head.

Do me a favor child, stop quoting me, you're too stupid to converse with. If not I'll send you to ignore with the other annoying loons

libtards are such losers! Get rid of the constitution, the electoral college and now the Supreme Court! Why? Cause they lost an election!

It’s a good idea.

Do me a favor child, stop quoting me, you're too stupid to converse with. If not I'll send you to ignore with the other annoying loons

Lass , you got embarrassed on the daily. Which is why you always revert to insults . Always !

O
It’s a good idea.

Lass , you got embarrassed on the daily. Which is why you always revert to insults . Always !

Off to iggy ya go little child, enough is enough. The left on this forum is the dumbest I've ever seen on ANY forum and you lead the pack.

Have you ever wondered why people keep saying you fell down the well? Of course you haven't ignorance is bliss and you're happy as a clam. No loss sending you to the land of the ignorant at all

O
It’s a good idea.

Off to iggy ya go little child, enough is enough. The left on this forum is the dumbest I've ever seen on ANY forum and you lead the pack.

Have you ever wondered why people keep saying you fell down the well? Of course you haven't ignorance is bliss and you're happy as a clam. No loss sending you to the land of the ignorant at all

Because , much like you , the cons here can’t debate anything when they are called out on their bullshit .

When people can’t argue a point what do they do? Hurl insults . Which you keep proving as true !

O

Because , much like you , the cons here can’t debate anything when they are called out on their bullshit .

When people can’t argue a point what do they do? Hurl insults . Which you keep proving as true !

It is here dummie not “hear” free lesson! You are welcome!

O

It is here dummie not “hear” free lesson! You are welcome!

It’s “dummy” you ass hat !

It’s a good idea.

It has changed many times. Do try and keep up

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

These idiots have the nerve to question my intelligence! It’s amazing .

O

many of the left here are the exact same way timmie....

Forum List

Back