The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity

You said
Christianity is the predominant religion in America
I was clarifying that it's a slim margin and only true if you use a rather liberal definition of 'christian'

Yeah. There's always that discussion about who is and isn't a 'real' Christian.

I could claim to be a Liberal, but it'd be a lie.

Besides, the bible himself tells us that many will be deceived by such false prophets and few will walk the straight and narrow path to salvation and righteousness- it's to be expected.

You said
Christianity is the predominant religion in America

I was clarifying that it's a slim margin and only true if you use a rather liberal definition of 'christian'

You are such a dork when you play this silly card. By the 'most' liberal definition of Christian, the number is about 83%.

Your definition, JB, does not count. The denominations' and members' definition of themselves indeed count.

members' definition of themselves indeed count.

Right... So then I guess Maxine Waters really does believe in liberty and the principles of Locke and Jefferson- after all, she calls herself a Liberal when she'd talking about nationalizing industry :rolleyes:

While we're at it, I'm now a Conservative Christian and am to be known as Saint James of USMB.

Last edited:
JB, old buddy, you are not the decider. Neither was Bush. Hmm. Are you . . . no, I won't ask because I am afraid of the answer. :rofl:

That is one of the most arrogant statements I've ever heard and very disrespectful of atheists and those of us who practice in non-theist religions. That's ok. I don't expect you to respect my faith. The constitution, a secular document protects me.

Actually, Christians protect you. And Christians developed this country to protect you based upon Christian tenets.

You have a character flaw and that is that you cannot discern between opinion and fact, Sky. I imagine it causes you problems in life. If I am arrogant because I believe your rights come from God, you are equally arrogant and disrespectful to continue insisting that the US is not a Christian nation and was not built upon Christian values and tenets.

It was. The evidence is there, you are ignoring it. The ultimate in arrogance. Your own narrow mindedness is trumping the truth, and that's sad.

I was just about to write you and tell you I think you mean no harm. I suppose you're right. My assertion that the nation is founded on a secular Constitution seems disrepectful to you as a Christian.

I'm sorry but I don't feel particularly 'protected' by Christians. I feel protected by the Constitution, a secular document.

You know I don't believe in God, so you telling me my rights come from a supernatural source seems disrespectful to me.

I think you have a good heart, and I consider you a friend.

We just will have to agree to disagree.

I'm happy you don't want the US to be a Christian theocracy. For me, having you insist that your God beliefs trump mine is a slippery slope in that direction.

Later.

The constitution, as written, and with it's original intent, would protect you. The problem is that liberals have misinterpreted, re-written and redefined all the important parts of it to meet the needs of the government. This places the people, the ones who are supposed to be the government, hanging out to dry.

It can certainly be a secular document and it also can be a document that protects people of faith.

We Christians ( this may not include all Christians) see the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution as two parts of one meaningful historical statement for the American people. We believe there is a religious as well as a secular foundation to it all. We believe, along with those documents, the Bible. We believe that our rights do come from God, and against them there can be no law. We believe that a large protective factor for this country is written in the Bible. In II Chronicles 7:14 we believe God has given us our marching orders. Unfortunately many, even most of us have failed in that area. We have not prayer as God has instructed. We have not sought the face of God and repented as God intended. With that in mind, you need to really hope that the Constitution will protect you, unless we Christians wake up, come alive in Him, and do as God has said.

I believe that is happening right now. I believe Christians around the world are beginning to seek God's face, and turn from our wicked ways, and we are starting to pray in a different kind of way. I believe real Christians are beginning to find each other, and are uniting in Christ for the sake of this great nation.

You don't believe that, I am sure. But our beliefs will not interfere with yours unless the Holy Spirit begins to convict you that there is something real about the God stuff. I assure you that I am convinced that God is alive in me, and is walking with me every day.

Last edited:
Let's review...

Judeo-Christian Roots of America's Founding Ideals and Documents

Listed below are a few principles or ideals to which the Founders adhered. Given immediately following each one are passages showing Judeo-Christian roots of that principle and then passages reflecting the use of the principle in America's founding documents. This list is by no means meant to be exhaustive, but only to exemplify the concept that America's Founding ideals have their roots in Judeo-Christian tradition. It should not be surprising that the Bible is quoted often as the source of the Founders' thinking for studies have shown the Bible is by far the most often quoted source in all of the publications and speeches of the founding era.

From this sampling it can be readily seen that no nation has a closer parallel to the Judeo-Christian tradition than the United States of America.

Principle: Reliance on the Providence of God
Judeo-Christian Roots

"For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee. O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires. And I will make thy windows of agates, and thy gates of carbuncles, and all thy borders of pleasant stones. And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children. In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee. Behold, they shall surely gather together, but not by me: whosoever shall gather together against thee shall fall for thy sake. Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy. No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD. (Isaiah 54:10 - 17)

American Founding Ideal:

"We, therefore, the representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the name, and by authority of the good people of these colonies, solemnly publish and declare that these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent states; .. And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." (Declaration of Independence. See also John Eidsmoe, Christianity and the Constitution, Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, MI, 1987, pp. 355-377)

Principle: Law of God forms basis of good human laws
Judeo-Christian Roots

"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. (Psalms 19:7 - 8)

American Founding Ideal:

"Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only law book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be." John Adams, February 22, 1756 (Federer, William J., America's God and Country Encyclopedia Of Quotations , FAME Publishing, Coppell, Texas, 1994, p.5)

"These laws laid down by God are the eternal immutable laws of good and evil .... This law of nature dictated by God himself, is of course superior in obligation to any other. It is binding over all the globe, in all countries, and at all times: no human laws are of any validity if contrary to this...

"The doctrines thus delivered we call the revealed or divine law, and they are to be found only in the holy scriptures ... [and] are found upon comparison to be really part of the original law of nature. Upon these two foundations, the law of nature and the law of revelation, depend all human laws; that is to say, no human laws should be suffered to contradict these. William Blackstone (Federer, p.52)

Principle: Religion and Morality form basis of Liberty
Judeo-Christian Roots

"Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof." (Leviticus 25:10)

"Ye have not hearkened unto me, in proclaiming liberty, every one to his brother, and every man to his neighbor: behold, I proclaim a liberty for you, saith the Lord." (Jeremiah 34:17)

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14)

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)

American Founding Ideal:

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams (Federer, p. 10)

"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible" George Washington (Federer, p.660)

"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.... And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion ... Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail to the exclusion of religious principle." George Washington's Farewell Address

Principle: The Equality of Man
]Judeo-Christian Roots

"Hear the causes between your brethren, and judge righteously between every man and his brother, and the stranger that is with him. Ye shall not respect [discriminate against] persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it." (Deuteronomy 1:16-17)

"Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect [discriminate against] the person of the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbor." (Leviticus 19:15)

"God is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34)

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28)

American Founding Ideal:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." Declaration of Independence

"No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States" U.S. Constitution, Art. I, Sec. 9, Paragraph 8)

Principle: God-Given Human Rights
Judeo-Christian Roots

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. (Genesis 1:27 - 28)

"Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. Thou shalt not covet.. (Exodus 20:13-17)

American Founding Ideal:

".that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." (Declaration of Independence)

Principle: Government authority by Consent of the Governed
Judeo-Christian Roots

"Judges and officers shalt thou make thee in all thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, throughout thy tribes: and they shall judge the people with just judgment." (Deuteronomy 16:18)

"Take you wise men, and understanding, and known among your tribes, and I will make them rulers over you.. So I took the chief of your tribes, wise men, and known, and made them heads over you, captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, and captains over fifties, and captains over tens, and officers among your tribes." (Deuteronomy 1:13 - 15)

American Founding Ideal:

".governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed." (Declaration of Independence)

"The United States shall guarantee to every state in this Union a republican form of government" (U.S Constitution, Art. IV, Section 4)

Principle: Sanctity of Contract
Judeo-Christian Roots

"If a man vow a vow unto the Lord, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth." (Numbers 30:2)

American Founding Ideal:

"No state shall.pass any. law impairing the obligation of contracts." (U.S Constitution, Art. I, Section 10, Paragraph 1)

Principle: Two Witnesses
Judeo-Christian Roots

"At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death." (Deuteronomy 17:6)

American Founding Ideal:

"No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court." (U.S Constitution, Art. III, Section 3, Paragraph 1)

Principle: No Corruption of Blood
Judeo-Christian Roots

"The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin." (Deut. 24: 6)

American Founding Ideal:

".but no attainder of treason shall work corruption of blood or forfeiture except during the life of the person attainted." (U.S Constitution, Art. III, Section 3, Paragraph 2)

Principle: Sabbath Day Excepted
Judeo-Christian Roots

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work." (Exodus 20:8-10)

American Founding Ideal:

"If any bill shall not be returned by the President within ten days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the same shall be a law, in like manner as if he had signed it." (U.S Constitution, Art. I, Section 7, Paragraph 2)

Principle: Separation of Church and State
Judeo-Christian Roots

"Render therefore unto Cæsar the things which be Cæsar's, and unto God the things which be God's." (Luke 20:25)

American Founding Ideal:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. (First Amendment, U.S. Constitution)

Principle: Teaching the Law of Liberty to Next Generation
Judeo-Christian Roots

"And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. (Deuteronomy 6:7)

American Founding Ideal:

"Let [the Constitution] be taught in schools, in seminaries, and in colleges, let it be written in primers, in spelling books and in almanacs, let it be preached from the pulpit, proclaimed in legislative halls, and enforced in courts of justice. And, in short, let it become the political religion of the nation." (Abraham Lincoln, "The Perpetuation of Our Political Institutions", January 27, 1838)

Judeo-Christian Roots of America's Founding Ideals and Documents

Case closed.

Bible:
But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Constitution:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Maybe it's a Jewish nation?
And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Bible:
13Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
14Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.

(see: Divine Right of Kings)

Constitution:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Bible:
3 Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?
4 For God said, 'Honor your father and mother' and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'

Constitution:
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Bible:

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Constitution:

'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...'

JB, old buddy, you are not the decider.

You're right- God is, and he makes it clear in the Bible that the aforementioned cults are not Christians as the do not believe in and abidse by Christ's Word.

Of course they do. It merely means you don't believe in antinomianism is all.

Jesus made it all clear ;)

Abiding by the old law is not only unnecessary, it's impossible (hence the need for Jesus to pay for our sins, since Man is incapable of living a sinless life) and, in some instances a violation the new covenant and God's true will, reveled through the Christ (compare 'tooth for a tooth' and 'turn the other cheek').

The Word makes it clear that acts follow faith, that good works are not a path to salvation but rather the product of the Holy Spirit at work in those who have true accepted Christ (see: you shall know them by their fruits).

To be saved, you must truly accept Jesus' sacrifice and accept the Holy Spirit into your heart. Good works will follow as a sign to all the world of the power and nature of the Holy Spirit. ;)

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with the founding of this country.

This country was founded on Christian principles, first and foremost, that all men are created equal and certain rights come from God.

You can say it all you like, and I'm sure it makes you feel better, but there is no proof that the US was founded on Christian principles. The evidence is not in the legal documents in which we found our government.

Sky, I suggest you go do some serious reading then, because if you had read letters and other associated documents written by the founders themselves while the country was being established, you would see how very wrong you are. It's a shame that our history is not being taught but is being covered up and buried to the point that you feel you can make this statement and feel that you are right.

This country was founded on Christian principles, first and foremost, that all men are created equal and certain rights come from God.

You can say it all you like, and I'm sure it makes you feel better, but there is no proof that the US was founded on Christian principles. The evidence is not in the legal documents in which we found our government.

Sky, I suggest you go do some serious reading then, because if you had read letters and other associated documents written by the founders themselves while the country was being established, you would see how very wrong you are. It's a shame that our history is not being taught but is being covered up and buried to the point that you feel you can make this statement and feel that you are right.

People practice Christian principles.
Governments do not. Governments practice THE LAW. The Constitution is a secular document. NOT RELIGOUS IN ANY WAY.
You know it, I know it and everyone with a brain knows it.
This government DOES NOT believe in a particular religion. Governments in America ARE NOT RELIGOUS. The founders SET IT UP THAT WAY.
Again,you know that and if you refuse to admit it Iwill tell you again and again and again and again.
So how can our government "be founded on Christian principles" if they ARE NOT RELIGOUS?
Why are the facts so hard for you to understand?
Because YOU REFUSE to admit they are the facts.

I'm not even sure what most of us practice and are calling Christianity is really founded on Christianity.

But hey, that's just my take on it.

If it isn't a violation of secular law, and it doesn't scare the horses, I say do what you like.

Governments do not. Governments practice THE LAW. The Constitution is a secular document. NOT RELIGOUS IN ANY WAY.
This government DOES NOT believe in a particular religion. Governments in America ARE NOT RELIGOUS. The founders SET IT UP THAT WAY.
Again,you know that and if you refuse to admit it Iwill tell you again and again and again and again.
So how can our government "be founded on Christian principles" if they ARE NOT RELIGOUS?

They aren't facts.

And idiot, governments do adhere to Christian principles.

Read the documents of the founding fathers (fact...they stated they were applying Christian principles. They stated that our governement could not function without the guidance of God.) Read the declaration (fact, it states that rights, liberty, freedom come from GOD). Those are Christian principles. That's a fact.

And who the hell is "they" in "so how can our gov't be founded on christian principles if they ARE NOT RELIGIOUS?" That doesn't even make sense. The founding fathers? They were Christians. If you're not talking about them, I have no idea who you mean by "they".

What ISN'T a fact, and what is a downright lie, is the idiotic assertion that our founding fathers didn't refer to the bible when determining this country's roadmap. What is also a lie is the assertion that we aren't a Christian nation today.

i think half the problem here is that you honestly don't know the definitions of the terms you like to throw around. Theocracy, for example. Republic. TENETS. FOUND. PRINCIPLES.

Idiot.

What you can't get around is the Constitution is a secular document. God is nowhere in that document. The Treaty of Tripoli clearly states that America is not a Christian nation. The nation was intended to have a secular government so that we could have religious freedom. We were not founded as a CHRISTIAN nation. We are a plurality, a republic founded by the people, and for the people, not by God.

If we were none of us would enjoy the religious freedom we no have. Christianity would be the state religion.

Last edited:

Oh, and despite the howlings of the anti-Christian lunatics, I have never once said the US was a theocracy. I have never once said the government requires anyone to practice a particular religion. I said our government was founded on Christian principles, and I QUOTED THE FOUNDERS applying those principles. All men are created equal, for example. THAT'S A CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLE. Inherent rights, that's another example..and another Chrsitian principle.

The whole idea of being free to worship as one pleases is a CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLE.

But continue to make an idiot of yourself, by all means. It becomes more obvious with each rant that not only are you willfully ignorant of the facts of our founding, you have a limited grasp of the terminology as well.

They aren't facts.

And idiot, governments do adhere to Christian principles.

Read the documents of the founding fathers (fact...they stated they were applying Christian principles. They stated that our governement could not function without the guidance of God.) Read the declaration (fact, it states that rights, liberty, freedom come from GOD). Those are Christian principles. That's a fact.

And who the hell is "they" in "so how can our gov't be founded on christian principles if they ARE NOT RELIGIOUS?" That doesn't even make sense. The founding fathers? They were Christians. If you're not talking about them, I have no idea who you mean by "they".

What ISN'T a fact, and what is a downright lie, is the idiotic assertion that our founding fathers didn't refer to the bible when determining this country's roadmap. What is also a lie is the assertion that we aren't a Christian nation today.

i think half the problem here is that you honestly don't know the definitions of the terms you like to throw around. Theocracy, for example. Republic. TENETS. FOUND. PRINCIPLES.

Idiot.

Sticks and stones.
I have been under fire, shot at and beaten up. Left for dead. Call me what you want.
You know that I am right and just proved it.

Oh, and despite the howlings of the anti-Christian lunatics, I have never once said the US was a theocracy. I have never once said the government requires anyone to practice a particular religion. I said our government was founded on Christian principles, and I QUOTED THE FOUNDERS applying those principles. All men are created equal, for example. THAT'S A CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLE. Inherent rights, that's another example..and another Chrsitian principle.

The whole idea of being free to worship as one pleases is a CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLE.

But continue to make an idiot of yourself, by all means. It becomes more obvious with each rant that not only are you willfully ignorant of the facts of our founding, you have a limited grasp of the terminology as well.

I hope you're not referring to me or Gawdawg as howling, anti-christian lunatics. Gadawg is a Christian and I have a lot of Christian friends.

You're free to practice Christianity and I Buddhism because America was founded with a secular Constitution, separating Church and State.

I disagree that being free to worship is a Christian principle. Christians haven't always been friendly toward the spiritual practices of indigenous people telling the Native Americans they were free to practice their religion. Many of them were forcibly converted.

Sorry Allie. The government of our country was not founded on the Bible.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back