The United States has raised its debt ceiling at least 90 times in the 20th century

including 18 times under former President Ronald Reagan, eight times under former President Bill Clinton, seven times under former President George W. Bush, and five times under former President Barack Obama. From 2001, Congress has raised the debt ceiling 14 times from 2001 to 2016. The debt ceiling was raised roughly a total of $5.4 billion during President George W. Bush’s tenure, and it was raised roughly a total of $6.5 during President Obama’s tenure.

The national debt has risen by almost $7.8 trillion during Trump’s time in office. That’s nearly twice as much as what Americans owe on student loans, car loans, credit cards and every other type of debt other than mortgages, combined, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. It amounts to about $23,500 in new federal debt for every person in the country.
he growth in the annual deficit under Trump ranks as the third-biggest increase, relative to the size of the economy, of any U.S. presidential administration, according to a calculation by a leading Washington budget maven, Eugene Steuerle, co-founder of the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center.

I don't see why the debt is such a problem, the infrastructure plan is important.
Well too much debt is a major problem. There is nothing wrong with some debt. In accounting terms it's referred to as leveraging. That's why, in terms of having a limit, it's always good to look at see where you are spending, why, and why so fast etc.

With that said, historically we have raised it, and we should now, it's amazing the demafascsit are playing with it the way they are, and not willing to work on raising it with the House (who's passed a bill already)

including 18 times under former President Ronald Reagan, eight times under former President Bill Clinton, seven times under former President George W. Bush, and five times under former President Barack Obama. From 2001, Congress has raised the debt ceiling 14 times from 2001 to 2016. The debt ceiling was raised roughly a total of $5.4 billion during President George W. Bush’s tenure, and it was raised roughly a total of $6.5 during President Obama’s tenure.

The national debt has risen by almost $7.8 trillion during Trump’s time in office. That’s nearly twice as much as what Americans owe on student loans, car loans, credit cards and every other type of debt other than mortgages, combined, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. It amounts to about $23,500 in new federal debt for every person in the country.
he growth in the annual deficit under Trump ranks as the third-biggest increase, relative to the size of the economy, of any U.S. presidential administration, according to a calculation by a leading Washington budget maven, Eugene Steuerle, co-founder of the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center.

I don't see why the debt is such a problem, the infrastructure plan is important.
And it will be raised again despite your hysterics 😆

I'd say it's about time we make an attempt to limit spending. Every American family does it. There's no reason that our irresponsible representatives can't do it too. MAGA

There is a way but find any politician that would actually do it.

My plan is this: We institute a national consumption tax. The new tax would be exclusive for deficit spending. Let's say 5 cents on the dollar for everything you buy. Now if they increase the deficit spending, then the consumption tax increases right along with it.

The problem we've always had is not enough Americans are concerned about the debt. When the deficit increases, the ceiling has to be lifted, another trillion to the debt, who cares? It doesn't affect my life one bit. I'll still go to my same job, drive my same car, watch my same big screen, and play the same video games.

Now if people had to pay for this deficit spending when it takes place, you'd see how fast Americans would demand a halt to all this Democrat pork and vote buying. They would be on their congress persons ass in a heartbeat.

The infrastructure plan is loaded with pork and vote buying like all Democrat bills.

A foolproof way to balancing the budget would be to take 90% of this years total tax receipts and use that to determine next years budget, the other 10% goes toward paying down the debt. But I doubt that we will ever find enough representatives with the balls and patriotic duty to do that.

The GQP had no problem when the Orange Sexual Abuser was spending like a drunken sailor, and begging the FED to both PUSH DOWN INTEREST RATES and INCREASE QUANTITATIVE EASING. That was just FINE.

But NOW we're in a fuckin' CRISIS.

This is why politicians, politicos, pundits and partisans have ZERO (0) credibility.

The infrastructure plan is loaded with pork and vote buying like all Democrat bills.
NOTHING like Trump and his cult.
Trump never had infrastructure week, even though he brought it up once a month.
But he did authorize this.

Trump signs $2.2T stimulus after swift congressional votes​

1683709711488.png
AP News
https://apnews.com › ...

Mar 27, 2020 — WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump signed an unprecedented $2.2 trillion economic rescue package into law after swift and ...

And here is the pork.

Mnuchin is Keeping $500 Billion in Bailout Funds Secret​

1683709860518.png
Public Citizen
https://www.citizen.org › news › keeping-500-billion-i...

Jun 11, 2020 — Note: U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told Congress Wednesday that the Trump administration intends to keep secret the names of the ...

NOTHING like Trump and his cult.
Trump never had infrastructure week, even though he brought it up once a month.
But he did authorize this.

Trump signs $2.2T stimulus after swift congressional votes

View attachment 784040
AP News
https://apnews.com › ...
Mar 27, 2020 — WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump signed an unprecedented $2.2 trillion economic rescue package into law after swift and ...

And here is the pork.

Mnuchin is Keeping $500 Billion in Bailout Funds Secret

View attachment 784041
Public Citizen
https://www.citizen.org › news › keeping-500-billion-i...
Jun 11, 2020 — Note: U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told Congress Wednesday that the Trump administration intends to keep secret the names of the ...

So how is that pork?

That's the response on every budget item, no matter how ridiculous it is. Just ask the congresscritter who put it in the spending bill.

Republicans have no problem with infrastructure spending as long as it's actual infrastructure. Giving lowlife Democrat voters free or discounted internet services, lining the entire country with charging stations few will use, tearing down perfectly good bridges and rebuilding them because they thought the old bridge was racist (like how can a bridge be racist? :eusa_shhh:) is not real infrastructure. It's pork and vote buying.

So how is that pork?
WTF?
From the Trump regime?

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told Congress Wednesday that the Trump administration intends to keep secret the names of the businesses that have received more than $500 billion in COVID-19 bailout funds through the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), claiming the information is “confidential.”

Republicans have no problem with infrastructure spending as long as it's actual infrastructure.
Evidently................they did.
Not one even proposed an infrastructure bill in 4 years.
Giving lowlife Democrat voters free or discounted internet services, lining the entire country with charging stations few will use, tearing down perfectly good bridges and rebuilding them because they thought the old bridge was racist (like how can a bridge be racist? :eusa_shhh:) is not real infrastructure. It's pork and vote buying.
Sure it is, the contents are available on the internet.

Mnuchins $500,000,000,000 is not.

Evidently................they did.
Not one even proposed an infrastructure bill in 4 years.

Sure it is, the contents are available on the internet.

Mnuchins $500,000,000,000 is not.

No, roads, bridges and airports are infrastructure, not spending our money to pander to minorities and envirokooks which is what this bill does.

WTF?
From the Trump regime?

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told Congress Wednesday that the Trump administration intends to keep secret the names of the businesses that have received more than $500 billion in COVID-19 bailout funds through the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), claiming the information is “confidential.”

So show me where this money went only to Republican friendly businesses.

So show me where this money went only to Republican friendly businesses.
Show me where the $$$ didn't?
No one can because the criminal Trump regime is of course, keeping $500,000,000,000 in funding, a secret.
But NO, "nothing to see here".
Keep your head in the sand.
If that $$$, went to anything good, the Trump regime would be, of course, be bragging about it, instead of hiding it.

Biden could cut spending if he really wanted to

But he doesnt want to compromise with the hated repubs

This is about hardcore partisan politics, nothing else.

This "crisis" didn't begin the day Biden took office. They were fine when their God increased the debt by 40% in just four years, and then took credit for the growth it stimulated.

Politics poisons everything.

Forum List

Back