The US Leads the World in Mass Shootings

The shooting in Oregon reinforces one thing - the US leads the world in mass shootings.

The researchers counted 23 mass shootings in 13 European nations plus Russia from 2000 to 2014, with a total of 203 deaths. During that time, the U.S. saw 133 shootings and 487 dead, resulting in a 0.15 mass shooting fatality rate per 100,000 residents, according to their tally. Separately, U.S. federal authorities have reported an increase in mass shooting in recent years.​

The article cites stricter gun control laws in the UK, Australia and Canada after mass shootings, which were then followed by declines in massacres.

Ms. Schildkraut said U.S. lawmakers should be wary of trying to mimic gun-control laws abroad. “Our culture of violence is such that our needs are not the same,” she said. “To expect solutions that work in those other countries to work here is not exactly realistic.” ...

Adam Lankford, an associate professor at the University of Alabama Department of Criminal Justice, who studied mass shootings around world from 1966 to 2012, found that countries with higher rates of gun ownership recorded more mass shooters per capita. ...

The U.S. represents less than 5% of the 7.3 billion global population but accounted for 31% of global mass shooters 1966 to 2012, more than any other country ...​

U.S. Leads World in Mass Shootings
I'll take my chances with the massacres and will carry more often should I get concerned. I prefer that approach than expecting government to solve my immediate problem, should that occasion occur.

What these liberals can't understand (since it involves something more than what can be seen and touched) is that guns have always been with us. In fact we wouldn't be a country without them. It was much easier to get guns not long ago. What has changed it the progressives destruction of morality. If someone is hurting, society did it to you and you don't deserve it.

The liberal's solution is to take away my guns. My solution is to defeat liberalism wherever it rears its' ugly head.
Guns have been with us, but most people owned one gun for protection if that, during the Wild West period and Revolutionary period, and maybe one for hunting.

But we have this Chris Mercer guy that killed masses of people, with 14 legal weapons and ammo to boot.....in his arsenal.

Guns are toys to people now a days, having guns is a Sport....

This was NEVER the case in our early History....

The shooting in Oregon reinforces one thing - the US leads the world in mass shootings.

The researchers counted 23 mass shootings in 13 European nations plus Russia from 2000 to 2014, with a total of 203 deaths. During that time, the U.S. saw 133 shootings and 487 dead, resulting in a 0.15 mass shooting fatality rate per 100,000 residents, according to their tally. Separately, U.S. federal authorities have reported an increase in mass shooting in recent years.​

The article cites stricter gun control laws in the UK, Australia and Canada after mass shootings, which were then followed by declines in massacres.

Ms. Schildkraut said U.S. lawmakers should be wary of trying to mimic gun-control laws abroad. “Our culture of violence is such that our needs are not the same,” she said. “To expect solutions that work in those other countries to work here is not exactly realistic.” ...

Adam Lankford, an associate professor at the University of Alabama Department of Criminal Justice, who studied mass shootings around world from 1966 to 2012, found that countries with higher rates of gun ownership recorded more mass shooters per capita. ...

The U.S. represents less than 5% of the 7.3 billion global population but accounted for 31% of global mass shooters 1966 to 2012, more than any other country ...​

all true. and the wingers think we should have more guns.

maybe we should let them all stand in a circle and just fire at each other and leave the rest of us alone.

Denial of what?

I see failed solutions in search of a problem

There are nine families in Oregon who would disagree.

32,000 gun deaths a year and you don't see a problem.

2 death from Ebola and you are hermetically sealing your house.

Right Wing Crazy is so fun to watch.

Baaaawwwhaaaaaaaa

While indeed a tragedy, I'm more concerned about all the families waking up today who lost kids in car accidents, pools and the like. Death is indeed a sad event regardless of cause

And of the 32K, just how many are gang bangers for which I could give a cluck about?

-Geaux

Baaaawwwhaaaaaaaa

While indeed a tragedy, I'm more concerned about all the families waking up today who lost kids in car accidents, pools and the like. Death is indeed a sad event regardless of cause

And of the 32K, just how many are gang bangers for which I could give a cluck about?

Yes, I know you don't care about dark skinned people We got that.

pools and cars aren't designed to kill people, and every year, the people who make them try to make them safer.

gun manufacturers are making a product designed to kill people, they push to get deadlier versions out on the street.

That's kind of the difference.

Baaaawwwhaaaaaaaa

Yes, I know you don't care about dark skinned people We got that.

pools and cars aren't designed to kill people, and every year, the people who make them try to make them safer.

gun manufacturers are making a product designed to kill people, they push to get deadlier versions out on the street.

That's kind of the difference.

No difference at all. Only in your communist gun grabbing mind.

Deadlier version? Please educate me more on your premise

And why should criminals impact my life?

-Geaux

I'll take my chances with the massacres and will carry more often should I get concerned. I prefer that approach than expecting government to solve my immediate problem, should that occasion occur.

What these liberals can't understand (since it involves something more than what can be seen and touched) is that guns have always been with us. In fact we wouldn't be a country without them. It was much easier to get guns not long ago. What has changed it the progressives destruction of morality. If someone is hurting, society did it to you and you don't deserve it.

The liberal's solution is to take away my guns. My solution is to defeat liberalism wherever it rears its' ugly head.
Guns have been with us, but most people owned one gun for protection if that, during the Wild West period and Revolutionary period, and maybe one for hunting.

But we have this Chris Mercer guy that killed masses of people, with 14 legal weapons and ammo to boot.....in his arsenal.

There's nothing quite like a liberal lecturing people on guns. You don't know what you're talking about. People have always had guns for personal protection. Hunting and sport too. I don't even know how many I have, a dozen, maybe 14, I'd have to think about it. None of them have ever committed murder and none ever will, they are tools, not toys.

You don't know history, guns, self defense or the Constitution. But you are full of opinion.

all true. and the wingers think we should have more guns.

maybe we should let them all stand in a circle and just fire at each other and leave the rest of us alone.
Maybe you should continue to play circle jerk with your opinionated know nothing libturd friends?

There's nothing quite like a liberal lecturing people on guns. You don't know what you're talking about. People have always had guns for personal protection. Hunting and sport too. I don't even know how many I have, a dozen, maybe 14, I'd have to think about it. None of them have ever committed murder and none ever will, they are tools, not toys.

You don't know history, guns, self defense or the Constitution. But you are full of opinion.
Ahhh yes, right wingers are SUPERIOR to left winger bull crud...sheesh..... :rolleyes:

The FBI Crime in the United States reportfound 8,124 murders committed with firearms in 2014, down from 8,454 in 2013. That represents a 3.9 percent drop year over year and the lowest rate of any year included in the report.

320m population = 0.000025% gun homicide rate.

I think your math is a little confused....

but let's compare that to other countries. Here are some figures from 2012.

Gun homicides and gun ownership listed by country

US- 9146
England and Wales - 41
France - 35
Germany - 158
Japan - 11
Italy - 417
Canada = 173
Australia - 30

No, the math is pretty simple moron....

Ahhh yes, right wingers are SUPERIOR to left winger bull crud...sheesh..... :rolleyes:
That's what one needs to do to think like you. Lie, redirect, misrepresent...blah blah...all day long.

Denial of what?

I see failed solutions in search of a problem

There are nine families in Oregon who would disagree.

32,000 gun deaths a year and you don't see a problem.

2 death from Ebola and you are hermetically sealing your house.

Right Wing Crazy is so fun to watch.
When you deliberately create the special category of "gun-death" so that you can both include deaths that were not caused by guns; and exclude deaths caused by people, but without using guns, you tacitly admit that you're just fine with all the violence in the world... provided no gun was involved.

"gun deaths"...the rhetorical tautology that exposes anti-rights advocates for the callous human shit-birds that they are.

I think the debate needs to centre on how to stop mass shootings in schools, cinemas etc and leave the issue of gang on gang homicides aside.

Those involved in gangs are aware of the risks and to be frank I could care less if they kill each other.

The issue is how to protect those who are simply law abiding citizens, going about their business who end up being murdered.

Its impossible to have a perfect system in the USA because of the amount of guns in circulation and the ingrained gun ownership psyche. As a nation you can just try and put in as many safeguards as possible. Theres no miracle cure but sensible things that can happen.

I don't have a subscription to your source, so I have no idea if it is biased, or what source the WSJ uses for it's stats, but I cannot address that. However, I was presented earlier this week with a competing narrative that stated this information was false.

Comparing Death Rates from Mass Public Shootings and Mass Public Violence in the US and Europe
Comparing Death Rates from Mass Public Shootings and Mass Public Violence in the US and Europe - Crime Prevention Research Center

Annual-Death-Rate-from-Mass-Public-Shootings-Europe-US.png

Frequency-of-Mass-Public-Shootings.png

Europe-mass-public-shooting-cases.png

The CPRC has also collected data on the worst mass public shootings, those cases where at least 15 people were killed in the attack.

There were 13 cases where at least 15 people were killed. Out of those cases, four were in the United States, two in Germany and two in the United Kingdom.

But the U.S. has a population four times greater than Germany’s and five times the U.K.’s, so on a per-capita basis the U.S. ranks low in comparison — actually, those two countries would have had a frequency of attacks 1.96 (Germany) and 2.46 (UK) times higher.

In reply to Mister Beale you cant simply compare shootings with over 15 victims. In the UK there have been two mass shootings in recent times however that's it. You have to look at the total numbers killed over a period of time. Was that table some NRA release to try and dupe the American public.

Your own CDC has the information, last year over 9,000 Americans were murdered by a gun, over 30,000 deaths when you include accidents, suicide.

In the UK the average is 60, even if you multiply that by 5 to get to your population you're still 30 times more likely to be murdered in the USA by a gun than you are in the UK.

The majority of our mass shootings are caused by gangs in inner cities. Remove black culture from the equation and our stats would be great.

Let's pretend this makes everything better.
How about instead, we ALL recognize this fact and start pointing the finger in that direction. I see people bending over backwards to excuse criminal behavior in that community, and that system isnt working well at all. Shame can be a powerful motivator, but people are too PC these days to use it.

The majority of our mass shootings are caused by gangs in inner cities. Remove black culture from the equation and our stats would be great.

Let's pretend this makes everything better.
How about instead, we ALL recognize this fact and start pointing the finger in that direction. I see people bending over backwards to excuse criminal behavior in that community, and that system isnt working well at all. Shame can be a powerful motivator, but people are too PC these days to use it.

People often love to be reactionary. Yeah, when a criminal breaks the law, then arrest them. Let's not try and stop this person being a criminal in the first place, nah, that requires brains to do. Let's just be stupid and do the easy stuff.

Forum List

Back