The US Northeast Is Hurtling Toward a Winter Heating Crisis

Many do not have enough oil or gas so they are uneconomical to develop. Having a lease doesn't mean economic amounts of oil or gas

Exactly. But many are also unexplored because there isn’t yet a strong enough economic reason to do so for them. It is an expensive process with uncertain outcome.

Plus, a lease is just a first step to drilling as all sorts of permitting are required.

Leasing more is not going to fix anything and permitting isn’t a big issue. Even in the best of times it takes 6 to 8 months from drilling to production. Oil companies are still battling supply chain problems in procuring things like sand and steel.

In one article I read two other factors were mentioned that I wasn’t even aware of. One is a shortage of workers and an aging workforce. Another is investers. The energy industry is notoriously boom and bust, and the last prices crashed, investors lost a lot of money. Now they are pressuring the companies pay them back on their investment rather than putting the money back into increased drilling and production. I had no idea about these factors, but it shows how complicated the issues are when large amounts of money are involved. And that doesn’t even address the fact that prices are set on a global market, not a domestic one.

Oh great. Here comes another big surge of that NE filth coming to Florida.

It's true, if he allowed drilling on federal lands the price would plummet.

Oil and gas companies are fully able to drill using roughly 9,000 already-approved drilling permits on federal lands in addition to obtaining permits for undeveloped oil and gas leases on 12.3 million acres of federal land nationwide, Interior communications director Melissa Schwartz said.

The Interior Department approved about 2,500 permits to drill on public and tribal lands in the first six months of the year, according to an Associated Press analysis of government data. That includes more than 2,100 drilling approvals since Biden took office January 20

And this change to the leasing program might pressure them to drill rather than stockpile.

The climate-and-tax bill passed by the Senate would force oil companies to pay more for drilling on federal land and block them from stockpiling leases at rock-bottom prices, changes that conservationists and good-government groups have sought for years.

Supporters of the changes argue the current approach cheats taxpayers, with annual rental fees for some leased land sometimes amounting to less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

Oil and gas companies are fully able to drill using roughly 9,000 already-approved drilling permits on federal lands in addition to obtaining permits for undeveloped oil and gas leases on 12.3 million acres of federal land nationwide, Interior communications director Melissa Schwartz said.

The Interior Department approved about 2,500 permits to drill on public and tribal lands in the first six months of the year, according to an Associated Press analysis of government data. That includes more than 2,100 drilling approvals since Biden took office January 20

And this change to the leasing program might pressure them to drill rather than stockpile.

The climate-and-tax bill passed by the Senate would force oil companies to pay more for drilling on federal land and block them from stockpiling leases at rock-bottom prices, changes that conservationists and good-government groups have sought for years.

Supporters of the changes argue the current approach cheats taxpayers, with annual rental fees for some leased land sometimes amounting to less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

No they aren't, just like always you loons lie.

well apparently it hasnt increased enough ... inflation dems say Biden has no control over inflation ... oil production dems say Biden has no control over energy production ... Afghanistan debacle dems say Biden had no control over the Afghanistan withdrawal ... the border dems say Biden isnt at fault for the border ... rising crime dems say Biden has no control over crime ...and on and on and on .... so please lefties tell us ... just what is a POTUS responsible for ?
Listening to the usual suspect democrats, you could be excused for thinking the election never actually happened.

There`s an abundance of natural gas right under my feet here in western Pa. and there`s at least 6 fracking operations going on withing 8 miles of my home. Is there a reason why gas taken from federal lands or drilled offshore is superior to the gas in western Pa., West Virginia and Ohio?
more production is what is needed ... and as for the 6 fracking operations i thought dems were opposed to fossil fuel ! why are dems screeching fossil fuel is bad and say it should be done away with and screeching that Biden is allowing more drilling and fracking when they defend him when Americans blame him for rising fuel costs ?

Last edited:
Biden doesn`t sell oil but oil companies do. When I see "chicom" I know I`m reading a post of a know nothing nut job. Biden is giving 53 billion dollars to U.S. chipmakers because this is what China wants him to do? Some of you are too stupid to realize you`re really stupid. How you manage to get through life like that is a mystery.
and when i see someone defend Biden and his radical far left agenda and policies i know i am reading the post of an insane gender confused marxist that supports the killing of children in the womb .

Last edited:
from running out of baby food, to a heating crisis…all two years of demafasict rule has given us is hungry babies and freezing people

When did Biden say no more drilling on federal lands?
When all is written on the green movement, either we have technology hidden and withheld and waiting to be released with questionable costs and/or hundreds and hundreds of billions of dollars will go into the pockets of privileged interests. It is possible this winter will have people not paying their heating bills, a huge rise in illegal electric hook up fires, kerosene heater fires up the wazoo and increased space heater fires. People will burn anything to stay warm. The Village is a warmer climate.

Forum List

Back