The wages of the trucking idustry.

UllysesS.Archer

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2014
I am not an economist, i dont think anyone on here really is, yet I have first hand knowledge of how a truck driver is paid. From owner operators to company drivers, and from local to long haul.

All these companies I speak of, I have first hand knowledge of, because I have worked for them in the past.

When you start in the industry, it's simple, no experience equals very little pay. Western Express(BEWARE), first of all, when you see a Western Express truck, give it plenty of room, cause these drivers are greener than the Smoky Mountains in mid-June. It's also a second chance company, a company that hires anyone, and I mean anyone, with a CDL. Their pay is lousy, just 28 cents per mile, with benefits that suck, and they hire in bulk, some 30 to 40 drivers a week go to work there, and some 30 to 35 drivers a week quit work there, their turnover is off the charts.

Western out of Nashville, is one of the few companies where you can cut your teeth with no experience, especially if you didn't attend a school to learn how to drive a big rig. I never went to school to learn how to drive, I was 18 when I was told to drive this truck to the market, long before many of the regulations we have now went into effect. I drove for Western for a month, when I first decided to head out as an over the road truck driver, and in my opinion, they are about the most dangerous trucks on the road, because many of their drivers, don't have a damn clue. So when you see one, give it plenty of room, and assume they are going to screw up, and DO NOT daudle beside a truck ever, if a tire blows out, It could cut your car in half, or make a motorcycle look like it hit a bridge embankment doing 80.

That is about the lowest paying OTR company that I know of, 28 cpm, and getting 2500 miles a week, equals a bring home of about 600 bucks a week, when you consider that you will spend at least a hundred just eating, that just aint that much money.

Let's jump up to a company that is a nice place to work. Superservice, out of Somerset, KY. With just 6 months experience, they pay over 40 cpm. With a nice benefit package, you can average almost 3000 miles a week, and be home every other weekend. Good equipment and they try to take care of their drivers, I recommend Superservice to everyone I know who has at least that much time behind the wheel. NO, I don't work there, I quit and went to work somewhere where I could get more miles in just 5 days a week. I got tired of sitting all day on Sunday with nothing to do. But, it is pretty easy to bring home over a grand a week with this company.

BREAKING NEWS! Corporate America is paying the folks that make them all of there money....chump change.

UBER is the newest 'screw the worker' company out there.

Local driving jobs in east Tennessee.

I drove a dump truck back in the early 90's, and made a huge 6.50 an hour, I think the company is up to 9 bucks an hour now, but you could get up to 50 hours a week in just 5 days, and I would work on Saturday's and get over 60.

I also drove a tanker that hauled liquid asphalt, and made 12.65 an hour with an average of 60 hours a week in 5 days. That was 6 years ago now, and that company gave us a raise yearly, so I'm sure it's well over 14 by now. The dump truck end of the same company was around 11 bucks an hour when I left, and most drivers got over 50 hours a week.

The company I am with now, has a home daily division, and those drivers make 16 dollars an hour, and work 12 hours a day, with an additional 150 dollar bonus for working Saturday or Sunday, on top of regular pay. So making a grand a week is not that hard, and really good money, for east Tennessee.

Owner operators make a lot of money, and spend a lot of money.

Anywhere from 89 cpm, to well over 2 dollars a mile, depending on who you contract out to, or what loads you haul.

Problem is, it's a headache, weekly truck payment, weekly insurance payment, fuel bills, and if your truck breaks down, it can set you back a lot.

Some people like it, others, like me, have no interest in it. I would rather let someone else have the headaches, and just worry about driving.

See those Green and white Trc's running all over TN, go work for them and amke some real dough

After I Retired from the Army, I worked (for the next 20 years) as a Traffic Manager with the second largest grocery wholesaler in the industry. The drivers were Teamsters and were home each night (with an occasional layover - maybe one a year).

The average pay was $70,000 per year with a few drivers making in excess of $90,000 per year. They had complete medical coverage, and a great benefits package. 6 Holidays a year and, a growing vacation scale (3 years - 2 weeks, 4 years - 3 weeks) all the way up to 6 weeks vacation.

99% of our drivers were OTR drivers who had given up "the life" for life with their families. Average weekly miles? Between 1800 - 2000 miles.

There's many a day I wish I was a long haul truck driver just me and the open road vs my day job dealing with dozens of people. (sigh)

Forum List

Back