The War on Journalism

<snip/unsnip> I don't want a liberal or conservative bias in the news. "Just the facts ma'am." The liberal media is obsessed with removing Trump from office. That's not what we gave them the First Amendment for.
`
What's the difference between FACTS and opinions (aka; bias)?

<snip/unsnip> I don't want a liberal or conservative bias in the news. "Just the facts ma'am." The liberal media is obsessed with removing Trump from office. That's not what we gave them the First Amendment for.
`
The front page versus the editorial page. There is no front page in the liberal press anymore.

No one believes the hammed up news anymore..........idiot is bracing the wrong dang way............Fact or fiction...........

Hyped up opinions on the NEWS TONIGHT................it's who pays the salaries that decide what they say.

That skit I just posted could be done for any media outlet..............

They repeat what they are told to repeat.............if they don't..........they can find a new job..........

Facts versus opinion............they are ordered to repeat the owners opinion which is a Fact........

I would disagree because I am not seeing “media approval” despite Brietbart’s claims.
witholding reporting of these crimes is media approval.

How is it being "withheld"?
. How did CNN or MSNBC report on Portland street violence? Who did they say was the instigators? Did they report a State Representative candidate of Minnesota was given a sucker punch causing a concussion? Did you see the video of Maxine Watters standing in a crowd encouraging them "if you see them in a restaurant or gas station to get in their faces and tell them they are not welcome here?"

You are complaining that a left leaning news source like MSNBC did not cover it with a rightwing bias? Really? And I bet Fox and Brietbart said very little about the rightwing vilence in those instances or report on Trump exhorting violence.

Hatred of Journalism threatens democracies.

RSF Index 2018: Hatred of journalism threatens democracies

The climate of hatred is steadily more visible in the Index, which evaluates the level of press freedom in 180 countries each year. Hostility towards the media from political leaders is no longer limited to authoritarian countries such as Turkey (down two at 157th) and Egypt (161st), where “media-phobia” is now so pronounced that journalists are routinely accused of terrorism and all those who don’t offer loyalty are arbitrarily imprisoned.

More and more democratically-elected leaders no longer see the media as part of democracy’s essential underpinning, but as an adversary to which they openly display their aversion. The United States, the country of the First Amendment, has fallen again in the Index under Donald Trump, this time two places to 45th. A media-bashing enthusiast, Trump has referred to reporters “enemies of the people,” the term once used by Joseph Stalin.

The line separating verbal violence from physical violence is dissolving. In the Philippines (down six at 133rd), President Rodrigo Duterte not only constantly insults reporters but has also warned them that they “are not exempted from assassination.” In India (down two at 138th), hate speech targeting journalists is shared and amplified on social networks, often by troll armies in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s pay. In each of these countries, at least four journalists were gunned down in cold blood in the space of a year.

Verbal violence from politicians against the media is also on the rise in Europe, although it is the region that respects press freedom most. In the Czech Republic (down 11 at 34th), President Milos Zeman turned up at a press conference with a fake Kalashnikov inscribed with the words “for journalists.” In Slovakia, (down 10 at 27th), then Prime Minister Robert Fico called journalists “filthy anti-Slovak prostitutes” and “idiotic hyenas.” A Slovak reporter, Ján Kuciak, was shot dead in his home in February 2018, just four months after another European journalist, Daphne Caruana Galizia, was killed by a targeted car-bombing in Malta (down 18 at 65th).

The unleashing of hatred towards journalists is one of the worst threats to democracies,” RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire said. “Political leaders who fuel loathing for reporters bear heavy responsibility because they undermine the concept of public debate based on facts instead of propaganda. To dispute the legitimacy of journalism today is to play with extremely dangerous political fire.”
. When journalists push lies, half-truths, withhold truth and try to overthrow governments, perhaps they should fear for their lives until they start reporting responsibly. At minimum, they don't deserve FOTP protections anymore. Hear that CNN, MSNBC, SNL, Daily Show, etc.?

I think thst is primarily your bias speaking . You dont want journalists that counter your views and and political bias'. You only oppose liberal views and media. How intetesting. The role of media is to provide a check on government abuse, corruption and the Trump Administration is not immune. Your idea of reporting responsibly is what? Echoing your views? Cone on. We havea wealth of media now...conservative, liberal, in between. Supporting violence towards them is dangerous. Do you actuslly want the government to be beyond scrutiny? Or only the Trump admin?
. None sense! Where was the media when we needed a check on government abuse, corrpution in the Obama Administratiin? Ask them and they'll say there was no corruption. 99% of his coverage was glowing. 99% of Trump coverage is hate filled.

I don't want a liberal or conservative bias in the news. "Just the facts ma'am." The liberal media is obsessed with removing Trump from office. That's not what we gave them the First Amendment for.
The conserative media was just as obsessed with removing Obama. Despite that there is good coverage a d investigative journalism out tgere if you ignore the trash

`
Every source has some degree of bias, even in choosong which facts to prevent and what context to leave out. It is up to us the think.

I think that the claim it would ruin the economy is a straw man. The Saudi’s by 99.9% of their weapons systems from us. These are complex proprietary systems. Russian systems don’t talk to Chinese systems don’t talk to American systems etc. The Saudi’s have invested billions into our systems, they are not going to start from scratch with another supplier.

The other question is...are you proposing we give Carter Blanche to them? They can do whatever they want in the territory of another ally, Turkey? When do we take a stand?

Does journalistic freedom mean anything to you? I don’t like all journalists and reporting, but where do you draw the line? Authoritarianism vs a free media. And a free media is the only check on governments.
You're correct in both your posts, but does your journalistic freedom extend to RW blowhards accused of hate speech in this country?
Yes, if not journalism then as free speech. And countering those blowhards is also free speech.

Where it gets complicated is if there is libel, slander or violence involved.

The abduction and likely death of Kashoggi. A surprisingly sycophantic attitude from an American President known for cosying to autocrats. It must be “rogue assassins”...or something. Or something.

To abduct a person from a consulate on another nation’s territory...against that nation’s laws, represents a new and much more dangerous assault on journalistic freedom. In fact...I think it is unheard of. And it puts the US in a tricky position. Saudi Arabia is our ally. But a free media and the rights of journalists to report, and to hold their governments responsible has long been an underpinning of American Democracy. We have censored allies before for bad behavior...withheld sales for example.

We are witnessing a demise journalistic freedomof around the world journalists are being threatened, killed and jailed for trying to do their jobs. They depend on bigger more powerful countries to look out for their rights should authoritarian states come down on them.

If we kow tow to the Saudi’s over this, what does that tell other dictators and what does it say to our values?
Particularly in the United States where freedom of the press is recognized as a fundamental right.
Time to repeal it.
That would be very dangerous.

I remember when Teresa May said " highly likely Russia poisoned Skripals " in April without any evidence (still nobody has presented any credible evidence), over a hundred of Russian diplomats have been expelled from the EU, USA, Canada.
More than 130 Russian diplomats expelled by 20 countries, including US

Nothing like that will happen with Saudis as long as they keep having billions of dollars contracts with USA and controlling the oil prices. I doubt any US president (Dem or Rep, Obama or Bush) would ever condemn them. Even if they dismembered a human being live.

P.S. Speaking about war on journalism it was lost by journalism as soon as Soros owned Media started dominating all Western informational space.

George Soros has never owned any media. He's a banker and investor.

He doesn't dominate any informational space.

Here, read some unbiased information about him and not some right wing propaganda

George Soros - Wikipedia
He just dominates rightwing headspace :)

Last edited:
The abduction and likely death of Kashoggi. A surprisingly sycophantic attitude from an American President known for cosying to autocrats. It must be “rogue assassins”...or something. Or something.

To abduct a person from a consulate on another nation’s territory...against that nation’s laws, represents a new and much more dangerous assault on journalistic freedom. In fact...I think it is unheard of. And it puts the US in a tricky position. Saudi Arabia is our ally. But a free media and the rights of journalists to report, and to hold their governments responsible has long been an underpinning of American Democracy. We have censored allies before for bad behavior...withheld sales for example.

We are witnessing a demise journalistic freedomof around the world journalists are being threatened, killed and jailed for trying to do their jobs. They depend on bigger more powerful countries to look out for their rights should authoritarian states come down on them.

If we kow tow to the Saudi’s over this, what does that tell other dictators and what does it say to our values?

So...

When your meat puppet faggot killed a US Citizen in a drone strike, in a sovereign country without authorization from that government, and also killed the man's son in a drone strike the bed wetters cheered.

Abdulrahman Anwar al-Awlaki (born al-Aulaqi; 26 August 1995 – 14 October 2011) was a 16-year-old American of Yemeni descent who was killed while eating dinner at an outdoor restaurant in Yemen by a drone airstrike ordered by U.S. President Barack Obama on 14 October 2011.[2][3][4][5] Abdulrahman al-Awlaki's father, Anwar al-Awlaki, was alleged to be an operational leader of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.[6] Anwar was killed by a CIA drone strike[7] also ordered by President Barack Obama two weeks prior to the killing of his son.

Me personally, I don't care if the Saudis kill their own people. I no longer care if any other government kills it's own people. Do you know why?

It's not our problem. When we went after a murderous dictator for killing his own people, you bed wetters marginalized the endeavor. You emboldened the jihadist assholes by undermining the cause and condemning our people as aggressors, imperialists and all sorts of vile bullshit. Your selective outrage about who kills who and why makes no difference. If Trump had killed Awlaki, he would be a martyr and a saint. If the Saudis had killed a guy who was critical of Trump, or the muslim brotherhood....

So...

When your meat puppet faggot killed a US Citizen in a drone strike, in a sovereign country without authorization from that government, and also killed the man's son in a drone strike the bed wetters cheered.

Abdulrahman Anwar al-Awlaki (born al-Aulaqi; 26 August 1995 – 14 October 2011) was a 16-year-old American of Yemeni descent who was killed while eating dinner at an outdoor restaurant in Yemen by a drone airstrike ordered by U.S. President Barack Obama on 14 October 2011.[2][3][4][5] Abdulrahman al-Awlaki's father, Anwar al-Awlaki, was alleged to be an operational leader of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.[6] Anwar was killed by a CIA drone strike[7] also ordered by President Barack Obama two weeks prior to the killing of his son.

Me personally, I don't care if the Saudis kill their own people. I no longer care if any other government kills it's own people. Do you know why?

It's not our problem. When we went after a murderous dictator for killing his own people, you bed wetters marginalized the endeavor. You emboldened the jihadist assholes by undermining the cause and condemning our people as aggressors, imperialists and all sorts of vile bullshit. Your selective outrage about who kills who and why makes no difference. If Trump had killed Awlaki, he would be a martyr and a saint. If the Saudis had killed a guy who was critical of Trump, or the muslim brotherhood....

And what the heck does this have to with attacks on journalism and journalistic freedom :dunno:

I think the left is a lot more stunned by the way the saudis act than anybody on the right.

We've been telling you idiots that they're pukes for decades.

In fact, I think I've argued with Coyote in the past specifically about how awful Saudi Arabia is in terms of human rights violations.

It would have been years ago. If it wasn't her, it was someone like her, who was enamored of Islam and sharia....

Forum List

Back