The War on Journalism

[The advent of cable news changed everything, and then the internet turned everything on its freakin' head. There is so much competition now, so little oversight now, and so many under-qualified "journalists" now, that it's nothing more than keyboard anarchy.And now that the national "news" has essentially split into Left and Right, it will continue to push us apart. Holy crap, we all have our own individual access to REALITY. I've thought a lot about this, I've talked to friends I still have in the business, and I have no idea what fixes this.
`
The problem is many mistake opinion sites for hard news sites. A site like salon (for example), does not generate their own news, they comment on news already reported from a hard news site. Now, at least salon has good writers. Then there are reader generated opinions where anyone can write something. Those are the worst...especially when people mistake it for hard news.
`

In case you didn't notice, BECAUSE YOU DID NOT, Trump was attacking the free press during the campaign.

Trump has been attacking the free press EVER SINCE he announced his candidacy back in 2015.

Where were you then? On Uranus?

Nice deflection there Skippy. It has absolutely no bearing on what I said. You seem to be topically challenged.

`
The problem is many mistake opinion sites for hard news sites. A site like salon (for example), does not generate their own news, they comment on news already reported from a hard news site. Now, at least salon has good writers. Then there are reader generated opinions where anyone can write something. Those are the worst...especially when people mistake it for hard news.
`

Wrong, unless we are not suppose to include NBC, ABC, CBS in the list of hard news sources. Then we can look at MSN or Google.....

[The advent of cable news changed everything, and then the internet turned everything on its freakin' head. There is so much competition now, so little oversight now, and so many under-qualified "journalists" now, that it's nothing more than keyboard anarchy.And now that the national "news" has essentially split into Left and Right, it will continue to push us apart. Holy crap, we all have our own individual access to REALITY. I've thought a lot about this, I've talked to friends I still have in the business, and I have no idea what fixes this.
`
`
Absolutely. I'm dead serious, it seems like fewer and fewer people really understand the difference between fact and opinion.

If it fits their worldview, then it's a fact to them. Bizarre. But that's why they're so passionate. They absolutely believe it's The Truth.

Republicans do NOT care about the 'free press'

Republicans have demonstrated the only thing they care about is MONEY.

Republicans have no humanity, no morality, and no soul.

Republicans can all go to Hell AFAIC.

We care about a responsible press.

That MONEY you disdain, it provides entitlements among other things.

Where is your humanity, morality and soul on saying, "Republicans can all go to Hell AFAIC?

You are already in Hell, why would I visit you?

The problem is who decides what is or isn’t a “responsible” press? Should criticism of the ruling government be labeled irresponsible? We have courts and laws to address libel and slander.

I can count on one hand the number of times the press went after Obama. I can also count on one hand the number of days the press didn't attack Trump.

In case you didn't notice, BECAUSE YOU DID NOT, Trump was attacking the free press during the campaign.

Trump has been attacking the free press EVER SINCE he announced his candidacy back in 2015.

Where were you then? On Uranus?

It's acutely ironic that that same press he tries to demonize is literally the reason he even exists. Without the salacious commercial tabloid-style side of that media nobody would have any idea who he even is.

It strikes me as the same thing as what happened to Henry II when he grumbled aloud about wanting someone to deal with that turbulent priest, Thomas a Becket. Four 'knights of mean intelligence' proceded to do just that. This was a greater disaster for Henry than anything Thomas could do. he knew that. But he was rightfully nlamed for the last thing he wanted done.

Modern Arabia is the same kind of pesthole that England was in the 1100s. A bunch of clowns in the laughingly termed intelligence service heard that he was being too much of a thorn in the side of the king and decided to do their careers a bit of good and kill the journalist. They have instead caused a disaster for Arabia. Arabia has to defend their guys, no matter that they are truly wanted dead by the king. One of them has been car accidented already. There is no good way out for Arabia or trump. Four knights of mean intelligence indeed

Absolutely. I'm dead serious, it seems like fewer and fewer people really understand the difference between fact and opinion. If it fits their worldview, then it's a fact to them. Bizarre. But that's why they're so passionate. They absolutely believe it's The Truth.
`
I know. I've run into more than a few of them in this forum. Discussions with them are useless and a waste of my time.

Yeah, I just give up and move on.So they claim some kind of "victory" -- as if there's some kind of scoreboard somewhere -- and feel good about themselves for a while.It's always fascinating here.
`
I enjoy good discussion, quid pro quo. I like facts and logic. I'll admit when I'm wrong and especially crave learning new things. Even if such discussions get heated, it's better than arguing with people whose sole reason for being here is conflict. Interesting but boring.
`

If only y'all had been as shook up about the dead AMERICANS in Benghazi.

This may be the GOAT of all posts. Well done, sir.

It's entirely an irrelevant red herring designed to deflect the topic away.

Already noted as such too.

In your opinion, Pigo. Not mine. It is identity politics outrage. You’re too fat and stupid to see that. Hence that post has so many accolades and yours have zero.

I'm afraid "accolades" from whatever echo chamber are irrelevant here. Particularly from drive-bys by posters who don't even have anything to contribute to this thread.

Is this thread about Bengazi? No it is not. Ergo it's a deflection. And in post TWO no less. Which also had nothing to contribute, nor did its poster..

The fact that you can't figure that out does make one of us "stupid" but it ain't me.

The abduction and likely death of Kashoggi. A surprisingly sycophantic attitude from an American President known for cosying to autocrats. It must be “rogue assassins”...or something. Or something.

To abduct a person from a consulate on another nation’s territory...against that nation’s laws, represents a new and much more dangerous assault on journalistic freedom. In fact...I think it is unheard of. And it puts the US in a tricky position. Saudi Arabia is our ally. But a free media and the rights of journalists to report, and to hold their governments responsible has long been an underpinning of American Democracy. We have censored allies before for bad behavior...withheld sales for example.

We are witnessing a demise journalistic freedomof around the world journalists are being threatened, killed and jailed for trying to do their jobs. They depend on bigger more powerful countries to look out for their rights should authoritarian states come down on them.

If we kow tow to the Saudi’s over this, what does that tell other dictators and what does it say to our values?
Big Deal
It is.

What passes for reporting and news has degraded over time. We now see reports showing people totally covered or off camera, with altered voices. They are presented as witnesses, experts, participants. That is theater, not reporting. If the journalist wants to tell a story, stand there and tell it. It there is real testimony that is given, we must see and hear the person to have even the slightest confidence it is true. Show diagrams, interview professors, anything but invisible people and dis-embodied voices.
Editorial phrasing has also become a real problem in communicating what should otherwise be offered as 'objective information'.
Media have brought much upon themselves.
The additional, spurious, gratuitous attacks on them don't help things.

What passes for reporting and news has degraded over time. We now see reports showing people totally covered or off camera, with altered voices. They are presented as witnesses, experts, participants. That is theater, not reporting. If the journalist wants to tell a story, stand there and tell it. It there is real testimony that is given, we must see and hear the person to have even the slightest confidence it is true. Show diagrams, interview professors, anything but invisible people and dis-embodied voices.Editorial phrasing has also become a real problem in communicating what should otherwise be offered as 'objective information'.Media have brought much upon themselves.
The additional, spurious, gratuitous attacks on them don't help things.
`
TV news has always been a "cost center" which is to say, it adds no real profitability to the network. It persisted because there was a time and place where such companies felt it was their civic duty to provide such a service Then the corporations took over. Their goal was to make news "profit centers". One of the lowest common denominators used to attract viewers is entertainment and sex. Fox news was the first that found a niche in the far right, perfect for both. They hired the best looking women around and dumbed down news with conservative commentary so even a 3rd grader could understand it. CNN does that, to a certain extent too.

One of the entertainment tropes corporations used was was "The Anonymous Source". Digitally distorted face and voice gave an air of serious authenticity to the person. People still eat that up. It's all bullshit.
`

The abduction and likely death of Kashoggi. A surprisingly sycophantic attitude from an American President known for cosying to autocrats. It must be “rogue assassins”...or something. Or something.

To abduct a person from a consulate on another nation’s territory...against that nation’s laws, represents a new and much more dangerous assault on journalistic freedom. In fact...I think it is unheard of. And it puts the US in a tricky position. Saudi Arabia is our ally. But a free media and the rights of journalists to report, and to hold their governments responsible has long been an underpinning of American Democracy. We have censored allies before for bad behavior...withheld sales for example.

We are witnessing a demise journalistic freedomof around the world journalists are being threatened, killed and jailed for trying to do their jobs. They depend on bigger more powerful countries to look out for their rights should authoritarian states come down on them.

If we kow tow to the Saudi’s over this, what does that tell other dictators and what does it say to our values?
Particularly in the United States where freedom of the press is recognized as a fundamental right.
Time to repeal it.

I am going to go with my theory that it was "4 knights of mean intelligence" {0k, 15 knights of mean intelligence} who did this unauthorized. The current king is not this monumentally stupid. I could be wrong.

Now for trump, who has to be seething mad about this cock up, has his own headaches. 1 Arabia is the pro western power here. The bad guys here are the Iranians. You can't let the Iranians win anything here. Arabia is by no means a nice or good state. They are not better than Iran. They are mad in a different way. In some ways they are worse. But they aren't Iran. They toss gays out of tall towers. They do crucifixions of people they don't like. The chop hands off of thieves. They permit honor killings. They are a horrible rotten no good bunch of jerks, but they arn't Iran which also has exemplary capital punishment for such crimes as having a bible or being jewish. Trump has to hate both these guys. He probably hates the Arabians more right now because they have landed him in the sewer. There is no good option for him. None. Zilch.

It does seem that the king is angry and doing what he can. he has car accidented one of the knights that did this asinine thing. Wait for more drownings and dieng in their sleep. He has to be livid. He can't be seen to be punishing them. they were working for him. He has friends like thus ne doesn't need enemies. But he has lots of them too

I remember when Teresa May said " highly likely Russia poisoned Skripals " in April without any evidence (still nobody has presented any credible evidence), over a hundred of Russian diplomats have been expelled from the EU, USA, Canada.
More than 130 Russian diplomats expelled by 20 countries, including US

Nothing like that will happen with Saudis as long as they keep having billions of dollars contracts with USA and controlling the oil prices. I doubt any US president (Dem or Rep, Obama or Bush) would ever condemn them. Even if they dismembered a human being live.

P.S. Speaking about war on journalism it was lost by journalism as soon as Soros owned Media started dominating all Western informational space.

George Soros has never owned any media. He's a banker and investor.

He doesn't dominate any informational space.

Here, read some unbiased information about him and not some right wing propaganda

George Soros - Wikipedia

I think that the claim it would ruin the economy is a straw man. The Saudi’s by 99.9% of their weapons systems from us. These are complex proprietary systems. Russian systems don’t talk to Chinese systems don’t talk to American systems etc. The Saudi’s have invested billions into our systems, they are not going to start from scratch with another supplier.

The other question is...are you proposing we give Carter Blanche to them? They can do whatever they want in the territory of another ally, Turkey? When do we take a stand?

Does journalistic freedom mean anything to you? I don’t like all journalists and reporting, but where do you draw the line? Authoritarianism vs a free media. And a free media is the only check on governments.
You're correct in both your posts, but does your journalistic freedom extend to RW blowhards accused of hate speech in this country?

Hatred of Journalism threatens democracies.

RSF Index 2018: Hatred of journalism threatens democracies

The climate of hatred is steadily more visible in the Index, which evaluates the level of press freedom in 180 countries each year. Hostility towards the media from political leaders is no longer limited to authoritarian countries such as Turkey (down two at 157th) and Egypt (161st), where “media-phobia” is now so pronounced that journalists are routinely accused of terrorism and all those who don’t offer loyalty are arbitrarily imprisoned.

More and more democratically-elected leaders no longer see the media as part of democracy’s essential underpinning, but as an adversary to which they openly display their aversion. The United States, the country of the First Amendment, has fallen again in the Index under Donald Trump, this time two places to 45th. A media-bashing enthusiast, Trump has referred to reporters “enemies of the people,” the term once used by Joseph Stalin.

The line separating verbal violence from physical violence is dissolving. In the Philippines (down six at 133rd), President Rodrigo Duterte not only constantly insults reporters but has also warned them that they “are not exempted from assassination.” In India (down two at 138th), hate speech targeting journalists is shared and amplified on social networks, often by troll armies in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s pay. In each of these countries, at least four journalists were gunned down in cold blood in the space of a year.

Verbal violence from politicians against the media is also on the rise in Europe, although it is the region that respects press freedom most. In the Czech Republic (down 11 at 34th), President Milos Zeman turned up at a press conference with a fake Kalashnikov inscribed with the words “for journalists.” In Slovakia, (down 10 at 27th), then Prime Minister Robert Fico called journalists “filthy anti-Slovak prostitutes” and “idiotic hyenas.” A Slovak reporter, Ján Kuciak, was shot dead in his home in February 2018, just four months after another European journalist, Daphne Caruana Galizia, was killed by a targeted car-bombing in Malta (down 18 at 65th).

The unleashing of hatred towards journalists is one of the worst threats to democracies,” RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire said. “Political leaders who fuel loathing for reporters bear heavy responsibility because they undermine the concept of public debate based on facts instead of propaganda. To dispute the legitimacy of journalism today is to play with extremely dangerous political fire.”
. When journalists push lies, half-truths, withhold truth and try to overthrow governments, perhaps they should fear for their lives until they start reporting responsibly. At minimum, they don't deserve FOTP protections anymore. Hear that CNN, MSNBC, SNL, Daily Show, etc.?

I think thst is primarily your bias speaking . You dont want journalists that counter your views and and political bias'. You only oppose liberal views and media. How intetesting. The role of media is to provide a check on government abuse, corruption and the Trump Administration is not immune. Your idea of reporting responsibly is what? Echoing your views? Cone on. We havea wealth of media now...conservative, liberal, in between. Supporting violence towards them is dangerous. Do you actuslly want the government to be beyond scrutiny? Or only the Trump admin?
. None sense! Where was the media when we needed a check on government abuse, corrpution in the Obama Administratiin? Ask them and they'll say there was no corruption. 99% of his coverage was glowing. 99% of Trump coverage is hate filled.

I don't want a liberal or conservative bias in the news. "Just the facts ma'am." The liberal media is obsessed with removing Trump from office. That's not what we gave them the First Amendment for.

I would disagree because I am not seeing “media approval” despite Brietbart’s claims.
witholding reporting of these crimes is media approval.

How is it being "withheld"?
. How did CNN or MSNBC report on Portland street violence? Who did they say was the instigators? Did they report a State Representative candidate of Minnesota was given a sucker punch causing a concussion? Did you see the video of Maxine Watters standing in a crowd encouraging them "if you see them in a restaurant or gas station to get in their faces and tell them they are not welcome here?"

Last edited:

Forum List

Back