The World Cup discussion thread

I have mixed feelings about this match.

On the one hand, a good friend of mine is Russian and Russia is one of the feel-good aspects of the tournament.

On the other hand, I’m cheering for England to win it all, and I think I’d rather England play Croatia, even though they are more talented than Russia.

I told my Russian friend after Russia beat Saudi Arabia that Russia would win the World Cup. I was only joking, but they are starting to look like a team of destiny.
Its started off in the same way as the Russia / Spain match. I think the Croats need to score first.
Really?
Are you in some parallel reality?
Nope. Croatia with all the possession and the Russians trying to get something on the break. It was a special goal and deserved to be a winner but the second half will see more of the same. Croatia possession and Russian rearguard action.
Croatia have Modric and he will be the difference. Maybe.

Thankfully Brazil is gone. I've noticed flopping and rolling on the ground have decreased by about 75%...

Shouldn't you be changing your flag again tommy? Sweden are LOSERS!

clarkson-jeremy.jpg

penalty kicks--again...why don't they just decide the game at the beginning with PKicks
2 hours and no winner

Croatians were better undoubtedly.
But Russian team jumped higher their heads at this Cup.

Ball possession is not the main thing in football. Tactic was ok against Croatia today and it worked. But I wish our guys played the whole match the way they did it last 15 minutes of this match.

A great surprise that Russia has managed not to lose a game at the tournament (lost to Uruguay was not important game when played without leaders so I prefer not to count it).

Sorry to see Russia out, but they can certainly be very very proud.

This about sums it up:

Russia were the lowest-ranked team coming into this tournament.

Many folk in their own country thought humiliation might be on the cards.

But their team has, to a man, been magnificent.

They were a couple of kicks away from the semis, and when the pain subsides they’ll feel very proud at what they’ve achieved. ...

World Cup 2018: Russia 2-2 Croatia (aet; Croatia win 4-3 on pens) – as it happened

Ball possession is not the main thing in football. Tactic was ok against Croatia today and it worked. But I wish our guys played the whole match the way they did it last 15 minutes of this match.

A great surprise that Russia has managed not to lose a game at the tournament (lost to Uruguay was not important game when played without leaders so I prefer not to count it).
Russians should query why a nation of 200 million (?) cannot produce great players. There is something wrong with the structure. Coaching,youth development the professional game ? Arshavins team were the last decent side and that must be wrong.
Many years ago they played at Wrexham and were top class. Blokhin and Dasaev were world class.Russia should be up there with the best.

Russians should query why a nation of 200 million (?) cannot produce great players. There is something wrong with the structure. Coaching,youth development the professional game ? Arshavins team were the last decent side and that must be wrong.
Many years ago they played at Wrexham and were top class. Blokhin and Dasaev were world class.Russia should be up there with the best.
Today's players are those born in 1990s and grown up in 2000s - period when pro western "democrats" were ruling the country. While that period whole country's economy was ruined by them and people simply tried to survive. It is a surprise sport could exist after that.
Now Putin's epoch allows sport to raise as well as all other aspects of life in Russia.

Last edited:

Today's players are those born in 1990s and grown up in 2000s - period when pro western "democrats" were ruling the country. While that period whole country's economy was ruined by them and people simply tried to survive. It is a surprise sport could exist after that.
Now Putin's epoch allows sport to raise as well as all other aspects of life in Russia.
Your League is second rate because your wealthy types prefer to invest in the west. If Abramovich and his ilk put money into the Russian game then talent would flourish.China is spending the money now and they will reap the benefit in a few years.

I have to root for England for Great Great Great Great Grandpa.

I saw a couple of flags waving outside of vehicles. I only gave a thumbs up to the one in which he also flew a Canadian flag on the other side.

I'm not big on people flying just one. You're in Canada now pal, the Old Country is just that, the Old Country.

I'm not in Canada, bub.

I live in the People's Republic of Californication.

I saw a couple of flags waving outside of vehicles. I only gave a thumbs up to the one in which he also flew a Canadian flag on the other side.

I'm not big on people flying just one. You're in Canada now pal, the Old Country is just that, the Old Country.

I'm not in Canada, bub.

Huh? I wasn't talking about you. Unless you're in Canada and only flying an English flag out of your car.

Though in fairness, California is very similar to Canada so I can see how you might get confused :abgg2q.jpg:

I'm not in Canada, bub.

Huh? I wasn't talking about you. Unless you're in Canada and only flying an English flag out of your car.

Though in fairness, California is very similar to Canada so I can see how you might get confused :abgg2q.jpg:

I was replying to you quoting me. So, unless you were replying to someone I have on ignore, you are the confused one, bub.

Forum List

Back