The world leaping ahead of us, the U.S. still has no fast trains.

You have it mostly wrong. Freight makes money, oodles of money. It's Passenger Trains that don't do too well. And almost all of them are subsidized.

If you're so dang knowledgeable, why don't you propose high speed rail for freight haha?

Freight isn't in a big hurry to get anywhere. Even produce only goes for a very short haul on a train. Plus, the weight of the freight car loaded, you honestly want to try and build a track to run that puppy at 190mph? As it is, freight trains go from very,very slow to over 100 mph around here. They are actually faster than the Passenger Trains. Of course, derailing a Freighter doesn't kill a few hundred people either. If you were to build a track to run freight at 190mph the cost would go out the window fast. This is why the HS Passenger Trains have their own disignated tracks. Around here, Freight and Passenger trains use the same rails and you have to slow the Passenger train down. Plus, the freight has the right of way. You honestly believe that either B&N or SP would stop their money trains and wait for the money pit Amtrak?

I might propose we do a high speed riding you out on a rail but only after the Tar and Feathering is done.

You just try it lowball. I'll kick your stupid ass haha.

When we are discussing building high speed rail, it isn't for freight. I wasn't talking about freight. Yet you insult me trying to show how stupid you farking are.

You have it mostly wrong. Freight makes money, oodles of money. It's Passenger Trains that don't do too well. And almost all of them are subsidized.

If you're so dang knowledgeable, why don't you propose high speed rail for freight haha?

Freight isn't in a big hurry to get anywhere. Even produce only goes for a very short haul on a train. Plus, the weight of the freight car loaded, you honestly want to try and build a track to run that puppy at 190mph? As it is, freight trains go from very,very slow to over 100 mph around here. They are actually faster than the Passenger Trains. Of course, derailing a Freighter doesn't kill a few hundred people either. If you were to build a track to run freight at 190mph the cost would go out the window fast. This is why the HS Passenger Trains have their own disignated tracks. Around here, Freight and Passenger trains use the same rails and you have to slow the Passenger train down. Plus, the freight has the right of way. You honestly believe that either B&N or SP would stop their money trains and wait for the money pit Amtrak?

I might propose we do a high speed riding you out on a rail but only after the Tar and Feathering is done.

When we are discussing building high speed rail, it isn't for freight. I wasn't talking about freight. Yet you insult me trying to show how stupid you farking are.

Oh, really,let's me refresh your memory.

Now,put this McClelland Saddle on and let's get going, mule.

I'll be the one putting my boots and spurs to your donkey arse. You said, "You have it mostly wrong."

You're the one who brought up freight. I agree it makes oodles of money, but building hella expensive high speed rail for it? Please explain.

Do you know why the libs want to build a high speed rail system? It isn't for freight.

I'll be the one putting my boots and spurs to your donkey arse. You said, "You have it mostly wrong."

You're the one who brought up freight. I agree it makes oodles of money, but building hella expensive high speed rail for it? Please explain.

Do you know why the libs want to build a high speed rail system? It isn't for freight.

Once again, let me post your own words. You were the one that brought it up. None of were talking about freight until some jackass posted this

You can lie like a rug if you want, so keep breying. I have better things to do than listen to your 2nd grade trolling. Us Grownups are talking.

Once again, let me post your own words. You were the one that brought it up. None of were talking about freight until some jackass posted this

You can lie like a rug if you want, so keep breying. I have better things to do than listen to your 2nd grade trolling. Us Grownups are talking.

Then just admit you made a mistake in interpreting what I was talking about like a grown up. I was referring to why libs want a high speed rail system. Since you cannot answer my question why, it means that you are ignorant. I wasn't wrong because I wasn't discussing freight nor proposing high speed rail for freight. Who in their right mind would do that in the US? What I said was high speed rail is a money loser and ends up being paid for by the taxpayers. We got BART in the SF-Bay Area and those counties pay 9.75% sales tax. Other counties pay less.

It's not me who is lying by denying they do not know what they are talking about and threatening violence.

Practically all rail with people are money losers. Local regional rail from suburbs to city from city to city and built a century ago can not even make a profit. In cities, bus line passengers pay more for their fares to keep the fares lower on the train/subway/elevated lines. And many of those bus fares come from poorer areas.

I heard it is because the Airline industry lobby is very afraid that if America develops a high speed rail network, the Airline industry will lose a lot of money. But I do agree with the post, it is past due time that the America develops a high speed national rail network. They is no reason why Japan , China and Europe should surpass us in this area.
Its a national disgrace.

I heard it is because the Airline industry lobby is very afraid that if America develops a high speed rail network, the Airline industry will lose a lot of money. But I do agree with the post, it is past due time that the America develops a high speed national rail network. They is no reason why Japan , China and Europe should surpass us in this area.
Its a national disgrace.
Where are you going to build the high speed rail lines? You ain't going to build them where Progs live in high numbers. That "eminent domain" must be used. Do you see it cutting straight through those areas? The poor areas will hold them up for hundreds of billions of dollars if not trillions of dollars just by themselves. And the lawyers....oh the lawyers.

I lived in Japan a while and loved them. Too much traffic to want a car, but their mass transit system was great. Was able to go backpacking in the middle of nowhere and get there all by trains and buses. Took a bullet train to Kyoto during a stand down and that was amazing. Then a sleeper bus on the way back. Chairs laid back into beds with curtains around you and drove through the night.

Not sure the feasibility in the US, especially with the airplane and car lobby's, but I'd take it.

I lived in Japan a while and loved them. Too much traffic to want a car, but their mass transit system was great. Was able to go backpacking in the middle of nowhere and get there all by trains and buses. Took a bullet train to Kyoto during a stand down and that was amazing. Then a sleeper bus on the way back. Chairs laid back into beds with curtains around you and drove through the night.

Not sure the feasibility in the US, especially with the airplane and car lobby's, but I'd take it.

I am planning a Train ride from here to Denver,spend a few days and then come back by train. The cost one way is somewhere from 45 to 90 bucks (half of a plane ride). It takes about 8 hours and goes through some of the most majestic parts of the Rockies you have ever seen. Driving isn't nearly as entertaining and flying you miss way too much. Flying, it still takes about 3.5 hours including boarding and deboarding versus the Car at about 4.5 hours. I don't think the 8 hours sitting in an overstuffed seat with a Bar, dining car and viewing car is not worth the effort. I'll just use Public Transportation in Denver (they have a good one) and rent a car when it doesn't go where I need to go or use a Taxi. I would have to do that anyway if I were to fly.

I used the train system in Germany from Bitburg to Frankfurt a few times and back. Another mountain route. Okay, not as majestic as the Denver trip but still very nice. And they lacked the dining and booze. You had to bring it with you. But it was enjoyable and damned sure beat the bus. Once I took the train from Frankfurt to Wiesbatten and back as well. Europe has a really great train system.

In the 60's and 70's we thought the 21st century would be like the Jetsons at least.
000001.gif

The left is California has done a swindle for decades to build a bullet train. The issue is even if they ever built it, which isn't the intent, embezzlement is the intent, but even if the build it I could go from Los Angeles to San Francisco in 4 hours, for only $400

Flying takes 40 minutes and is $69 on Southwest.

Trains are dial up modems in the era of fiber internet.

China has the world’s fastest and largest high-speed rail network — more than 19,000 miles, the vast majority of which was built in the past decade. Japan’s bullet trains can reach nearly 200 miles per hour and date to the 1960s. They have moved more than 9 billion people without a single passenger causality. France began service of the high-speed TGV train in 1981 and the rest of Europe quickly followed.

But the U.S. has no true high-speed trains, aside from sections of Amtrak’s Acela line in the Northeast Corridor. The Acela can reach 150 mph for only 34 miles of its 457-mile span. Its average speed between New York and Boston is about 65 mph. California’s high-speed rail system is under construction, but whether it will ever get completed as intended is uncertain.

Sadly, the US is falling light years behind China.

We don't need high speed rail.

Trains are dial up modems in the era of fiber internet.
Really ?
Japan has had them since before the Internet even. Bad analogy.

And with one exception they all lose money.

How much did that winter freeze in Texas cost because of poor infrastucture ?
How many people were killed in ice storm crashes last winter ?
What's the cost of cleaning up a 70 car pileup ?

Why would places in Texas that had NEVER experienced a winter storm like that have the infrastructure to handle it? Should South Dakota have infrastructure designed with hurricanes in mind?

That’s because we have superior freeways and Americans like being independent and free to drive their own cars. Not to mention trains never take you to and from you beginning and end destination, you always need a second mode of transportation just to get to the train.

Europe has a so called good high speed train system, yet it still sucks and is insanely expensive. Personally I’ve used the train a few times and in some specific cases is good to use, but usually it’s far faster and cheaper to just drive or fly to your destination.
The video explains how you're wrong
but don't watch it. Just keep being wrong.

It’s all propaganda crap from globalists and statists that want the little people to conform and use public transportation.

If rail is so fucking good, then it would be all over the place in America. At one time it was, then it was replaced with aircraft and highways, because that was even better.

Everyone always says that Germany’s rail system is one of the best. I’ve lived here for many years now, and I can tell you it sucks ass. You still need to drive to a train station, and in a big city pay an absurd amount for parking by the hour. Or take a taxi which is expensive as fuck as well, because you know, you have to pay for their healthcare and paid vacations, and the country bans Uber. Then there is the cost. It’s far cheaper to just drive somewhere close than to pay for round trip tickets. The time tables always suck, you have to wait for connections, and of course there are delays and redirects all the time.

If you are traveling far, especially to another country, it’s always far cheaper and faster to fly.

But hey, we all don’t know any better. It’s a good thing we got people like you to tell us what’s best for us.
The OP will soon be demanding high speed rail across the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Forum List

Back