The world leaping ahead of us, the U.S. still has no fast trains.

china has a city that the smog killed thousands of people each month (guess that was before they noticed that their population was sinking). They started out by replacing all the buses and trains with electrical ones. Then they replaced the trucks with electric one. They are in the process of getting rid of all the gas cars now and are almost done. Even the Taxis are now electric. Even with the primary power generation coming from Coal, the air is not the killer it once was. You now see people without the face masks. In may ways, we are ahead of china but in other ways, they are light years ahead of us.

And guess what, that is from all of those coal fired powerplants they are building.

Now, what powers high speed rail?

Most of the power still comes from Coal Fired Power Plants. But converting the electricity to automotive and transportation power ends up polluting less. In a large city with so many cars, trucks and trains, using fossil fuels to power your car/truck/bus is a double whammy.

It's the exact opposite. The problem is China doesn't care about its people. They are merely cogs. Cogs get replaced. China cares about cheap power so that's what they use. They also don't care about toxic sludge so that's why they are leaders in solar module production that are incredibly toxic to make.

Powerplants are the largest source of pollution. That is a fact. We control the pollution, they don't.

It's got to the point in china they are having to do something. It affects their health care and even their factory production. The US was well on it's way to turning the eastern and western seaboards into what china has now in their major cities. They are left with no choice when it hit's the pocket books of the Uber chinese rich and government. You really need to get out more.

Until the uber wealthy Chinese start dying, nothing will change. I will be traveling through China in a few months. Mainly hitting the hinterlands because I have already done all of the big cities.

Take a good gas mask and plenty of canned oxygen for the large cities.

And guess what, that is from all of those coal fired powerplants they are building.

Now, what powers high speed rail?

Most of the power still comes from Coal Fired Power Plants. But converting the electricity to automotive and transportation power ends up polluting less. In a large city with so many cars, trucks and trains, using fossil fuels to power your car/truck/bus is a double whammy.

It's the exact opposite. The problem is China doesn't care about its people. They are merely cogs. Cogs get replaced. China cares about cheap power so that's what they use. They also don't care about toxic sludge so that's why they are leaders in solar module production that are incredibly toxic to make.

Powerplants are the largest source of pollution. That is a fact. We control the pollution, they don't.

It's got to the point in china they are having to do something. It affects their health care and even their factory production. The US was well on it's way to turning the eastern and western seaboards into what china has now in their major cities. They are left with no choice when it hit's the pocket books of the Uber chinese rich and government. You really need to get out more.

Until the uber wealthy Chinese start dying, nothing will change. I will be traveling through China in a few months. Mainly hitting the hinterlands because I have already done all of the big cities.

Going to be in em for less than an hour

From my travels, that's about 59 minutes too long.

Depends on the season. Spring and fall are ok, winter and summer are murder.

During the middle and early 70s, we used to fly into Fairbanks. In the winter it would hit minus 60 and stay there. Most of the heat was from coal for the homes. Then add all those gas guzzlers spewing away. When it gets that cold, a city has a strange thing happen. The Air gets pushed down under pressure. When you have smog, it condenses it to right near the ground. Fairbanks had a siren that would go off when it got so bad it could choak small children. When that happened, all cars came to a stop, you exited the vehicle and entered the nearest building. When the pressure changed, the siren would go off for the all clear. I don't know what it's called but it was strange that Fairbanks accepted it and didn't show any panic. Feb in Fairbanks made us get our friggin cargo ramps down and back up as fast a possible. I thought it was unfair that they didn't let us do a drive by cargo ground drop so we could get the hell out of that freezer as quickly a spossible.

During the middle and early 70s, we used to fly into Fairbanks. In the winter it would hit minus 60 and stay there. Most of the heat was from coal for the homes. Then add all those gas guzzlers spewing away. When it gets that cold, a city has a strange thing happen. The Air gets pushed down under pressure. When you have smog, it condenses it to right near the ground. Fairbanks had a siren that would go off when it got so bad it could choak small children. When that happened, all cars came to a stop, you exited the vehicle and entered the nearest building. When the pressure changed, the siren would go off for the all clear. I don't know what it's called but it was strange that Fairbanks accepted it and didn't show any panic. Feb in Fairbanks made us get our friggin cargo ramps down and back up as fast a possible. I thought it was unfair that they didn't let us do a drive by cargo ground drop so we could get the hell out of that freezer as quickly a spossible.

It's called a temperature inversion. All cities, in bowls, get them

LOL, just checking to see if you knew. We get that here but not at minus 60 below zero. Of course here, it lasts only a few days and the temp drops down to minus zero and stays there. But when the wind pops back up, the inversion bleeds off and things warm up.

LOL, just checking to see if you knew. We get that here but not at minus 60 below zero. Of course here, it lasts only a few days and the temp drops down to minus zero and stays there. But when the wind pops back up, the inversion bleeds off and things warm up.

Dude, I am a geologist, of course I knew!

I just like to rag you once in awhile. Looks like my job is finished here. Now, there just has to be a sunset around here some place to ride off into. Can I borrow a Jackass to ride off on? I hear there are plenty in here.

I just like to rag you once in awhile. Looks like my job is finished here. Now, there just has to be a sunset around here some place to ride off into. Can I borrow a Jackass to ride off on? I hear there are plenty in here.

Indeed there are, feel free to nab one from the FZ

The problem is, I have most of the real jackasses on ignore. You'll have to suggest one.

View attachment 260252
Who is going to pay for it? If the venture was profitable private industry would have already built one. Nothing the Government does is cost effective.
Not flushing a trillion a year in the war on terror we created
would be a good start.
th
We created ? Are you crazy is that what your problem is ?

The problem is, I have most of the real jackasses on ignore. You'll have to suggest one.

Nope, sorry...I have a policy against interacting with jackasses

It's easy. Just throw the rope around their necks. If it's a Democrat Jackass, tell them Biden sent you to retrieve them. If it's a Republican jackass tie a scarf around their eyes and they'll automatically assume Trump sent you.

China has the world’s fastest and largest high-speed rail network — more than 19,000 miles, the vast majority of which was built in the past decade. Japan’s bullet trains can reach nearly 200 miles per hour and date to the 1960s. They have moved more than 9 billion people without a single passenger causality. France began service of the high-speed TGV train in 1981 and the rest of Europe quickly followed.

But the U.S. has no true high-speed trains, aside from sections of Amtrak’s Acela line in the Northeast Corridor. The Acela can reach 150 mph for only 34 miles of its 457-mile span. Its average speed between New York and Boston is about 65 mph. California’s high-speed rail system is under construction, but whether it will ever get completed as intended is uncertain.

Sadly, the US is falling light years behind China.

tell us what happened to Californias ?

It's easy. Just throw the rope around their necks. If it's a Democrat Jackass, tell them Biden sent you to retrieve them. If it's a Republican jackass tie a scarf around their eyes and they'll automatically assume Trump sent you.

Nope, too much chance of infection.

It's an inviolable policy!

Nope, too much chance of infection.

It's an inviolable policy!

So you say there isn't enough booze in creation to cure those jackasses. I agree.

You have it mostly wrong. Freight makes money, oodles of money. It's Passenger Trains that don't do too well. And almost all of them are subsidized.

If you're so dang knowledgeable, why don't you propose high speed rail for freight haha?

You have it mostly wrong. Freight makes money, oodles of money. It's Passenger Trains that don't do too well. And almost all of them are subsidized.

If you're so dang knowledgeable, why don't you propose high speed rail for freight haha?

Freight isn't in a big hurry to get anywhere. Even produce only goes for a very short haul on a train. Plus, the weight of the freight car loaded, you honestly want to try and build a track to run that puppy at 190mph? As it is, freight trains go from very,very slow to over 100 mph around here. They are actually faster than the Passenger Trains. Of course, derailing a Freighter doesn't kill a few hundred people either. If you were to build a track to run freight at 190mph the cost would go out the window fast. This is why the HS Passenger Trains have their own disignated tracks. Around here, Freight and Passenger trains use the same rails and you have to slow the Passenger train down. Plus, the freight has the right of way. You honestly believe that either B&N or SP would stop their money trains and wait for the money pit Amtrak?

I might propose we do a high speed riding you out on a rail but only after the Tar and Feathering is done.

Forum List

Back