Then They Came For the Economists

George Soros, the fund manager, has pledged $50m to back a new think-tank with the mission of reconceiving the field of economics, which he describes as “a dogma whose time has passed”.

He's completely RIGHT ya' know.

Economics, as fascinated as I am by the nuts and bolts of it, is basically a flawed social science.

At least one of its basic premises is terribly flawed, for example

The premise that people will do what is best for them

People don't do that because they canot understand what is best for them in many cases.

And they generally don't screw up because they're lazy or stupid, but because they cannot KNOW what is best for them given the world that we live in.

We are exposed to so much bleeding propaganda, not only in the news and talk shows, but in the entertainment and advertising we're exposed to, that most people are damned fools.

People, people who have made all the right decisios (according to what they've been told, at last) find themselves screwed in this system.

Who wins most of the time?

Liars hypocrites and gangsters.

You are absolutely correct. I know whats better for you than you yourself do.

Send me your money. It's for your own good.

George Soros, the fund manager, has pledged $50m to back a new think-tank with the mission of reconceiving the field of economics, which he describes as “a dogma whose time has passed”.

Economics, as fascinated as I am by the nuts and bolts of it, is basically a flawed social science.

People don't do that because they canot understand what is best for them in many cases.

And they generally don't screw up because they're lazy or stupid, but because they cannot KNOW what is best for them given the world that we live in.

We are exposed to so much bleeding propaganda, not only in the news and talk shows, but in the entertainment and advertising we're exposed to, that most people are damned fools.

People, people who have made all the right decisios (according to what they've been told, at last) find themselves screwed in this system.

Seriously... This is the best argument in favor of a 'public option' for education that I have ever seen.

:clap2:

Kudos.

Last edited:

One side believes in teaching everyone what is best for them and another wants to keep em stupid and just give em handouts. That way they will continue to vote for them...because they don't know any better. A party that uses taxpayer funds to in essence buy votes.

You guess which side is which.

That would mean Obama has to take responsibility for it.

He's too busy mopping up someone else's mess and getting told how to hold the mop.

As if he would ever use a mop in the first place. Too many servants around for him to do it himself.

Which is pretty much the way his Administration works. He gives the speeches, acts like he's Mr Perfect and everyone around him does the dirty work.

Obama is fucking up his opportunity, I agree but I disagree on how.

The way I see it, he came in to office under the promise of leadership toward transparency and efficiency and he has failed, thus far at least, to lead congress away from the cesspool of corruption marked 'Washington D.C.' on most modern maps.

The lobbyists are still writing our laws and are currently snarling for ownership of congress.

Obama either fears the fight or has sold out. I truly hope it is the former and he makes a decision in the privacy of his own heart to grow a pair.

Get real.

Coming from Chicago politics Obama is raising the bar (or lowering it) when it comes to corruption.

He has introduced an new level of graft, bribery, and intimidation to Washington.

Technically, the jury is still out..... realistically though, it is looking more and more like you are right and he sold us out to the money that holds leash on the lobbyists.

Too entrenched in free market ideology? So Soros doesn't understand what a free market is or why this downturn happened. It's a shame actual free market economists were able to predict this recession would happen, whereas the monetarists and Keynesians were caught with their pants down.

Too entrenched in free market ideology? So Soros doesn't understand what a free market is or why this downturn happened. It's a shame actual free market economists were able to predict this recession would happen, whereas the monetarists and Keynesians were caught with their pants down.

Soros is a hedgefunder who bets on economic downturns and makes billions off of it.

This explains why he backed Obama in this last election.

Nice catch Mudwhistle.

Ladies and gentlemen it wast the free market which in this country hasn't been particularly free since the Great Depression, you know the last time unemployment stayed in double digits for more than a decade. This was brought about by a perfect storm of state federal and local regulations.

Wow.

So, we have to have people tell us what is best for us, right?

Wow.

I don't believe he's saying that at all. He's just pointing out how flawed Economics is and he's right. He's also right about today's society. With so much disinformation and the world wide web, one of the downsides is sometimes people have no idea what to think. Especially in a subject that has a grey area and with uncertain things.

I'm feeling so much more secure knowing that an elite like yourself, knows what's best for us, the unwashed masses. With each sentence you write, I know that you have what it takes to lead us to the promised land!

I'm feeling so much more secure knowing that an elite like yourself, knows what's best for us, the unwashed masses. With each sentence you write, I know that you have what it takes to lead us to the promised land!

All I know is that the moron economist who said that the US should switch from a producing economy to a service economy needs to be outed. Obama said it only once, but what he said was that America needs to get back to "creating wealth". The proof of the fallacy, or "service economy hoax" is that China, which started out as a backward basket case is now a manufacturing powerhouse who finances our wasteful spending.

We need to re-build our manufacturing base, and create jobs for the "unwashed masses".

Pretty messed up, eh?

Pretty messed up, eh?

Ya think? LOL!

Wow.

I don't believe he's saying that at all. He's just pointing out how flawed Economics is and he's right. He's also right about today's society. With so much disinformation and the world wide web, one of the downsides is sometimes people have no idea what to think. Especially in a subject that has a grey area and with uncertain things.
That is exactly what he is saying. People make decisions based upon their own financial needs. Frequently we have Democrats telling us that we can't take care of ourselves and we need to have mandates put against us so that we can. Social Security is the biggest example of that.

As for economists. Nothing today is any different then it was 100 years ago. Economists have made educated forecasts for at least a 100 years. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. Never do they have the right to tell people what is good for them or belittle their intelligence.

Free market economies work if they are left alone to do so. It is when people start meddling (i.e., government interference) that bad things begin to happen.

Get government out of every aspect of our lives and you'll see a better economy and society.

Forum List

Back