There HAS to be life on other planets..

Well, there have been successful cloning of animals but not humans sure.
But just because we can’t create life in a lab doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen naturally in another part of the universe.

But they estimate the earth at almost 14 billion years old. That’s a lot of time for the “soup to cook”, right?
*universe

Earth is 4.54 billion years old

I’ve never believed in aliens, because I’ve never seen proof, but I’ve never said they don’t exist either. I don’t know.

I believe there are probably aliens in the vastness of the universe.
But no way they could ever travel to earth

It's up to God to create life. When planets are formed they are void of life.
That is certainly one possibility. The existence of life on other planets doesn’t disprove the existence of God, but the complete lack of life in the rest of the universe would certainly suggest intentionality, or, point to the creation theory.

You haven't spoken to the topic at all. You have only spoken about the odds of getting life EXACTLY as it appears on Earth today.

My post #11 states otherwise ... I've conceded intelligent life may well be to far ... but then again, we are dealing with an number of planets available ... the odds can't be zero, or humans wouldn't be here either ...

That is certainly one possibility. The existence of life on other planets doesn’t disprove the existence of God, but the complete lack of life in the rest of the universe would certainly suggest intentionality, or, point to the creation theory.
I would say the opposite

If it only happened.once on one tiny pebble around one star in the vast universe with a lifetime of 100s of trillions of years, that would seem to be so inefficient and absurd a design as to be all but prohibitive to an intelligent designer.

NOW... if we find humans with bibles all over the universe on other planets... let's talk.

I would say the opposite

If it only happened.once on one tiny pebble around one star in the vast universe with a lifetime of 100s of trillions of years, that would seem to be so inefficient and absurd a design as to be all but prohibitive to an intelligent designer.

NOW... if we find humans with bibles all over the universe on other planets... let's talk.

Well, I just mean that the non existence of life anywhere else in the universe would break all statistical probability, that it could only happen if it were created that way. That’s all I meant.

The problem with us not having any data points outside earth and not being able to create life in the lab is that we don't have a number for the elements that have to be present, the conditions present and the reactions necessary to convert Chemistry into Biology.

Without knowing what creates life or finding it elsewhere we can't put a probability number on life being elsewhere.

Back a few decades ago we got a Drake Equation but that was so flawed as to be meaningless.

Here is a good discussion on the flaws in the Drake Equation and what we really need in order to come up with any valid statistical probability.

Drake's equation is confined to the Milky Way ... the OP specifies "there are hundreds of billions of galaxies, some say even trillions of galaxies." ...

Are we discussing the odds of human life in one galaxy, or in all of them? ...

Well, I just mean that the non existence of life anywhere else in the universe would break all statistical probability, that it could only happen if it were created that way. That’s all I meant.
Yes, and I get it. It's compelling. Imagine how compelling it was when we absolutely knew that Earth was the center of a tiny little universe, made just for us.

The Great Debate ended that notion for good, only 100 years ago! That's astounding, to me.

So, when you add more information to the argument -- like the vastness of time and space and sheer number of stars and planets similar to ours that have ever and will ever exist (10²⁴ sister earths) -- it becomes much less compelling.

The universe is vast

Which makes it unlikely that we could ever discover another life form
Maybe, maybe not. Who’s to say other planets don’t have a 5 billion…10 billion year advance on us.

Also, who’s to say the laws of physics works the same in other parts of the universe. We only know what we know about our observable universe, and we know the laws of physics change inside black holes, right? I’m just saying, maybe in other parts of the universe there are areas where physics are different.

I’m no physicist sooo, just a thought.

I think we'd find that life is common in the universe but each level of complexity would be more and more rare. I still there are plenty of intelligent species in our own galaxy and there are plenty of other galaxies.

There may even be aliens on our planet today. We'd never see them, as they would want it that way, since the only thing we might offer them is a chance to study us. If they are here their form would be very different from us, we might not even recognize them for what they are.

but each level of complexity would be more and more rare.

What if WE are one of the “more and more rare complexities”? If that makes sense….

it’s a statistical improbability that it only ever happened here.
In order to make a statistical analysis you have to have more than one piece of data. Statistics with only one data point is useless.

Everywhere we look in the universe we see things that are hostile to life.

For all we know we are unique.

Before you say that we have discovered planets where there is a good possibility of life check this out. It is a dose of science reality.

Also, who’s to say the laws of physics works the same in other parts of the universe. We only know what we know about our observable universe,
They play by the same rules of physics and chemistry all over the universe
What makes you think a living organism could survive in a black hole?

And there are those of use who believe both in Creation and that the probability of sentient life existing elsewhere in the universe is so high that other beings almost have to be out there.

I’ve also thought of that. Perhaps God created many worlds but, for some reason, chose not to tell us about them. Maybe they all have their own Bibles, maybe the intention is for us to eventually find each other..who knows.

Drake's equation is confined to the Milky Way ... the OP specifies "there are hundreds of billions of galaxies, some say even trillions of galaxies." ...

You can't determine "odds" with only one data point.

The point of showing the problems with the Drake Equation is that we don't have the data to make any projections just based on numbers. Did you watch the whole video?

The factors for predicting life elsewhere is unknown to us because we really don't understand how chemistry is turned into biology.

They face the same physics and chemistry we do

But do they? Isn’t our understanding of physics based on what we know in our observable universe? Isn’t it possible that physics could be different elsewhere?

There are a few articles out there that suggest the laws of physics are, and have changed over time. Perhaps the laws of physics in a solar system many billions of years older than ours are quite different?

You can't determine "odds" with only one data point.

... but we can still work the infinitesimals ... the fact of a single datum does indeed guaranty we have a non-zero probability to exist ... as long as there aren't infinity planets, then the odds of humanity is above zero ...

Statistics ... it's an art form ...

We studied Drake's equation back in the 1970's ... it was big stuff with Carl Sagan launching SETI ... I was never a big fan but it was an active area of discussion ... my claim is N > 0 at all times and in all places ... and remember "A lack of evidence doesn't mean evidence of lack" ... and I don't think our technology is up to the task of finding life of any kind out there ...

... yet ...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back