There's Something About Mary Reviewed----Why Vulgarity Fails

It's not about entertainment or art. It's about making money. The Hollywood formula is to research the audience who pays for the tickets and rents the movies and push the envelope until the movie is talked about. It doesn't need a plot. In this case the target audience was probably adolescent kids who giggled all the way through it.
I think there are influential people behind the scenes pushing a Marxist ideology who make sure there's something moral debasing in the movies, something that pulls down society a little more.

I'm not sure agree that the media is out for profit only, when it comes to the leftist agenda. Take CNN. Highly liberal content, routinely cable news' worst performer. Fox News on that other hand beats all the other cable outlets combined with its conservative content. Why does CNN continue with that model? Because of the agenda. They don't care about the ratings. They're obviously subsidized elsewhere, or they would change.

Then there is Hallmark. Squeaky clean movies that are enormously popular. Imagine. Movies featuring people attending church services. And forget the obligatory sack scene in Hollywood movies; Hallmark's first kiss doesn't happen until the 1:58 mark. True, most of its audience are women over 50, but the Network is Number One in November and December among women 18-54. This is a huge demographic. So the point is, clean DOES sell. And PC doesn't always. There's a saying "Go woke, go broke". Hopefully we'll have more and more of that.

Comparing cable tv channels and the movies industry is a bad comparison. The Hallmark Network, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, and other channels are owned by large corporation who determined their target audience and slant presentations in that directions.

Movies are little different since the producer of each project determines the targeted audience base on the material and his ability to get financing. It is certainly true democrats are more likely to be a target than republican's, not because the producers are democrats but because surveys show consistently that democrats go the movies significantly more than republicans, almost twice as often.

Just like most businesses, the movie business, and cable tv channels target their audience and delivery a product that their audience appreciates. It certainly is about the money but there are always exceptions to rule.

Last edited:
Hollywood was founded on knee jerk liberalism. Lefties whined for half a century about blacklisting and with the full cooperation of the liberal media they managed to blame the era on a single republican senator. Hollywood blacklisted it's own because they thought the public outcry about communist influence might cost them box office money. The ironic thing is that an outspoken republican can't get a job in Hollywood today and everybody knows it but nobody complains about modern blacklisting.

I think there are influential people behind the scenes pushing a Marxist ideology who make sure there's something moral debasing in the movies, something that pulls down society a little more.
The idea that immorality will somehow bring the country down and usher in communism goes all the way back to McCarthyism and was a favorite topic of Rush Limbaugh. The problem with this idea is two fold. First, Everyone has their own notion of what is immoral. And Secondly, the only proven method of stopping immorality is through censorship and laws that violate personal liberties, a hallmark of communist governments.

Hollywood was founded on knee jerk liberalism. Lefties whined for half a century about blacklisting and with the full cooperation of the liberal media they managed to blame the era on a single republican senator. Hollywood blacklisted it's own because they thought the public outcry about communist influence might cost them box office money. The ironic thing is that an outspoken republican can't get a job in Hollywood today and everybody knows it but nobody complains about modern blacklisting.
Movies are liberal because liberals buy a lot more tickets than conservatives.

These conservatives haven't had a problem getting work in Hollywood.
  • Trace Adkins: Country Music Singer & TV Personality
  • Danny Aiello: Film Actor
  • Adam Baldwin: TV Actor
  • Stephen Baldwin: Actor, Radio Personality
  • Michael Bay: Big Budget Director
  • Pat Boone: Singer, Songwriter
  • Wilfred Brimley: Commercial Actor & Star of Cocoon
  • Jerry Bruckheimer: TV & Film Producer
  • James Caan: Legendary Film Actor
  • Drew Carey: Game Show Host & Former TV Star
  • Adam Carolla: Former Host of The Man's Show
  • Tom Clancy: Espionage and Military Science Author
  • Jon Cryer: Notable Film & TV Actor
  • Robert Davi: TV & Film Actor
  • Bo Derek: Model, Film & Television Actress
  • Dale Earnhardt Jr.: American Race Car Driver
  • Clint Eastwood: Academy Award Winning Film Actor & Director
  • John Elway: Hall of Fame Quarterback & Super Bowl MVP with the Denver Broncos
  • Sara Evans: Country Music Singer
  • Lou Ferrigno: TV Actor (Star of The Incredible Hulk & King of Queens Guest Star)
  • Mel Gibson: Film Actor & Academy Award-Winning Director
  • Kelsey Grammer: TV & Film Actor, Star of TV's Long-Running Series, Frasier

• Rick Harrison: TV Host of Pawn Stars
  • Angie Harmon: TV & Film Actor, Star of TV's Law & Order
  • Elizabeth Hasslebeck: Former "Survivor" Contestant & Co-Host of The View
  • Dennis Hopper: Actor, Director & Two-Time Academy Award Nominee
  • Patricia Heaton: TV Actor, Female Lead in TV's Everybody Loves Raymond
  • Naomi Judd: Country Music Singer, Actress & Author
  • Lorenzo Lamas: TV Actor
  • Heather Locklear: TV & Film Actress
  • Susan Lucci: Emmy Award-Winning Actress & Soap Star
  • Dennis Miller: Actor, Stand-Up Comedian & Political Commentator
  • Chuck Norris: Legendary TV Actor
  • Ted Nugent: Legendary Musician, Speaker
  • Sarah Palin: Reality TV Star
  • Richard Petty: Seven-time NASCAR Champion
  • Johnny Ramone (John Cummings), Legendary Musician, Founder of The Ramones
  • John Ratzenberger: TV Actor, Voice-Over Personality
  • Robert James "Kid Rock" Ritchie: Singer, Song Writer & Rapper
  • Robertson Family: Duck Dynasty Reality TV Stars
  • Adam Sandler: Legendary Stand-Up Comedian, "Saturday Night Live" Alum & Hollywood Film Star
  • Pat Sajak: Wheel of Fortune Game Show Host & Political Columnist
  • Curt Schilling: World Series Champion & Former Phillies, Diamondbacks & Red Sox Pitcher
  • Nick Searcy: TV and Film Actor
  • Tom Selleck: TV & Film Actor
  • Ron Silver: TV & Film Actor
  • Jessica Simpson: Singer, Actress & TV Personality
  • Gary Sinise: Academy Award Nominated Film Actor & TV Star
  • Sylvester Stallone: Producer, Director, Writer & Legendary Film Actor, Star of Rocky & Rambo Films
  • Ben Stein: Film Actor, Game Show Host & Political Commentator
  • John Stossel: Investigative Reporter, Speaker
  • Janine Turner: Film & TV Actor
  • Donald Trump: Reality TV Star
  • Jon Voight: Academy Award-winning Film Actor and Political Activist
  • Bruce Willis: Legendary Film Actor & Two-Time Emmy Award Winner
  • Lee Ann Womack: Country Music Singer
  • James Woods: Notable Actor
  • David Zucker: Director of Airplane & Naked Gun Films

fort fun said:
You really should talk to a professional.
it doesn't take a professional to know what immorality is.... and who is engaging in it. It isn't just sexual immorality. It is immoral behavior.... supporting killing of the unborn, lying, cheating, injustice, the desire to punish your fellow citizen for their recognizing immorality, lying, cheating, thieving, etc.

it doesn't take a professional to know what immorality is.... and who is engaging in it. It isn't just sexual immorality. It is immoral behavior.... supporting killing of the unborn, lying, cheating, injustice, the desire to punish your fellow citizen for their recognizing immorality, lying, cheating, thieving, etc.
Look man, this isn't a free psyche clinic for you to sit and soothe yourself out loud in public and swat at imagnary flies. Pipe down, take your meds.

You seem to be having problems with the truth. There's a reason the left does its dirty work in the dead of night, behind closed doors, getting others to support and applaud the immorality. You should think about that.

You seem to be having problems with the truth. There's a reason the left does its dirty work in the dead of night, behind closed doors, getting others to support and applaud the immorality. You should think about that.
Oh boy. Crazy person can't stop being crazy.

Here's a perfect example of your side and the lies and projection. The majority of America knows what the truth is. So do you. You just don't want it to be so.

The good thing is that you have a lying traitorous media on your side. You know what happens to the media when 3rd world people get very angry don't you? Among the first to pay.

Here's a perfect example of your side and the lies and projection. The majority of America knows what the truth is. So do you. You just don't want it to be so.

The good thing is that you have a lying traitorous media on your side. You know what happens to the media when 3rd world people get very angry don't you? Among the first to pay.

Oh boy, now I've gone and done it.

Now crazy idiot boy furiously googles for things he has never read to justify why he has been insane for decades.

I mean, I have no reason to DISLIKE him. I have just never understood how he got where he is. I have never sensed a whiff of talent from him. He can't act for squat. He doesn't have any particularly good comedic timing skills. he doesn't just "look" or "sound" funny. I don't get it.
I have never been a fan but he is multi-talented as an actor, comedian, producer, film director, and screenwriter which has served him well with a net worth of over 200 million which probably would have been a lot more except for his charity work.

Last edited:
I have never been a fan but he is multi-talented as an actor, comedian, producer, film director, and screenwriter which has served him well with net worth over 200 million which probably would been a lot more except for his charity work.
Strike "actor" from that list, and I will accept it.

As for "comedian"... I have literally never laughed at anything the guy has ever done, as an actor or in stand up. Tastes vary, I guess.

Oh boy, now I've gone and done it.

nah...you just keep on attacking me so you don't have to address the matter of killing the unborn, stealing elections then lying about it...but you know better dont you. Corrupt judges misrepresenting the law so the left can get its way. Hurting the middle class all over this country, abandoning americans and allies in afghanistan and you defend that heinous decision..just like you defended hillary in Benghazi. you got nothing bud. Keep on talking to show us just how empty you are.

I never saw the cleaned up version, that is the censored version. I though the movie had an interesting plot line and was funny at times but that's about it.

Movies that are devoid of foul language, sex, violence make nice fairly tales but have no relationship to real life. At times fairy tales are fun to watch but movies that depicted subjects such as marital problems, coming age films of teens, homosexuality, and the modern day dating and love affairs can't ignore sex still be realistic.

I do believe there is too much gratuitous sex in movies but at the same time I recognize that many films need sexual content in order to present realistic picture. I can't imagine The Last Picture Show or many other fine movies devoid of sexual content.

Sure, part of real life is violence, foul language and all sorts of other ugliness, but why embrace movies that normalize it...or worse, glorify it?

I'm obviously in the minority here (what else is new) but I like movies that are not only "good" in the artistic sense, but also have a good message, and without all the bad worldly crap. Or at least without too much of it.

That said, I do occasionally watch worldly movies that everyone else likes, because my S.O is not as picky about that type of stuff, but he's flexible and will occasionally watch the movies I like too, so it works out. :tongue:

Last edited:
The definition of immorality is not conforming to accepted standards of morality. The problem is that those standards are certainly not the same today as were in the past, nor are they the same everywhere today. I'm sure there are people that would claim wearing short shorts is immoral. Anal or Oral sex which once was punished by law is now become acceptable in many cultures. Having a child out of wedlock was certainly considered immoral in the past and certainly by some today. Slavery in the past was not always considered immoral, nor was animal cruelty or destruction of the environment.

Immorality has always been changeable with time and place. Even religious teaching have change their interpretations of immoral practices which also varies from one religion to another.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back