This is why some Police have a No Pursuit Policy in some cases

I don't believe the woman should be allowed to sue the city though.

They gave the guy a citation for not safely approaching the intersection. Thats kind of an admission right there

Oh , I quite agree the police officer is at fault for the accident. I simply don't believe the city should be liable in a lawsuit.

I mean in general I'm opposed to such lawsuits anyway, but in cases like this, doubly so. since thousand of citizens who had nothing to do with this accident will have to pay this woman if she wins.

Well thats why this type of stuff should come out of the police retirement fund. You'd see a change in happen INSTANTLY. But as long as we pick up the tab...Meh :dunno:

I actually think the solution is that each officer should have to contribute towards insurance that would cover them in instances like this, and damages should be capped at whatever the insurance company is ordered to pay.

Hey though, we found something else we agree on . AKA something else you actually are right about LOL hahahahaha

I'm right most of the time :cheeky-smiley-018:

Troopers said Officer Chris Bonner blew through a red light last Thursday while chasing two armed suspects.

Woman injured in crash with Ocoee police officer speaks with WESH 2 News

Cops get a free pass in almost all cases, whether they're right or wrong. The woman was driving legally, didn't run a red light, and was following the normal flow of traffic. The cop was driving as cops normal do, like they own the roads and can do as they damn well please. When it comes to cops, every single citizen can claim that they fear for their safety, or fear for their life. But, the courts only accept such a defense from cops. Go figure.

For the most part, COPS are low-life assholes.

So, you're a cop, huh?

You know the answer so whats your point?

I don't believe the woman should be allowed to sue the city though.

They gave the guy a citation for not safely approaching the intersection. Thats kind of an admission right there

Oh , I quite agree the police officer is at fault for the accident. I simply don't believe the city should be liable in a lawsuit.

I mean in general I'm opposed to such lawsuits anyway, but in cases like this, doubly so. since thousand of citizens who had nothing to do with this accident will have to pay this woman if she wins.

Well thats why this type of stuff should come out of the police retirement fund. You'd see a change in happen INSTANTLY. But as long as we pick up the tab...Meh :dunno:

I actually think the solution is that each officer should have to contribute towards insurance that would cover them in instances like this, and damages should be capped at whatever the insurance company is ordered to pay.

Hey though, we found something else we agree on . AKA something else you actually are right about LOL hahahahaha

I'm right most of the time :cheeky-smiley-018:

If you'd just wait for me to post and then quote it and reply "what he said" you'd be correct in every instance.

Troopers said Officer Chris Bonner blew through a red light last Thursday while chasing two armed suspects.

Cops get a free pass in almost all cases, whether they're right or wrong. The woman was driving legally, didn't run a red light, and was following the normal flow of traffic. The cop was driving as cops normal do, like they own the roads and can do as they damn well please. When it comes to cops, every single citizen can claim that they fear for their safety, or fear for their life. But, the courts only accept such a defense from cops. Go figure.

So, you're a cop, huh?

No, I'm NOT a damn Cop. I have way more self-respect than to be a damn Cop.

I couldn't abuse authority like Cops do.

If one of us ran a red light and hit someone they would not sue or employer. As another poster stated the city should pay her medical and some for pain and suffering and I would add repairs to her car if you want file a lawsuit against the officer ok but suing the city that one I question.
Thats not true. If in the act of you doing your job you ran a light and hit someone your company is liable.
For me or you yes in the course of our job there would be no reason for us to be going 80 to 90 mph for a police officer there might be. What are the rules regarding high speed chases I'm sure they vary depending on the city and situation? Was the officer following the rules as laid out? If he was not was this the first time or has this been a pattern with him? These are a few things that would need to be known in my opinion before suing a city.
I saw this today and thought it was relevant to your reply.

440oolong.jpg

So, you're a cop, huh?

No, I'm NOT a damn Cop. I have way more self-respect than to be a damn Cop.

I couldn't abuse authority like Cops do.

Well you just sound like the poster boy for low-life assholes, thus my question.

Aren't we "legally" supposed to pull over and wait when we hear a siren nearby? Was she deaf? That's what the siren is for.

You don't pull over in the middle of an intersection. Also, in a lot of cases, it's very difficult to determine where the siren is coming from. And, cops are suppose to approach intersections with caution when involved in a chase. When cops are driving 80 or 90 MPH, the time between hearing a siren and actually seeing the cop is very short, in a second or so. Cops are suppose to observe traffic at all times, even when chasing another vehicle.

I get that. I'm not saying it was all her fault. Just that even I can hear a siren coming blocks away, and if I can't figure out where its coming from, I pull over if possible.

Aren't we "legally" supposed to pull over and wait when we hear a siren nearby? Was she deaf? That's what the siren is for.

You don't pull over in the middle of an intersection. Also, in a lot of cases, it's very difficult to determine where the siren is coming from. And, cops are suppose to approach intersections with caution when involved in a chase. When cops are driving 80 or 90 MPH, the time between hearing a siren and actually seeing the cop is very short, in a second or so. Cops are suppose to observe traffic at all times, even when chasing another vehicle.

I get that. I'm not saying it was all her fault. Just that even I can hear a siren coming blocks away, and if I can't figure out where its coming from, I pull over if possible.

Approaching at 90 mph? What are you the Flash?

When you hear sirens at an intersection you're supposed to stop

Seems to me it was the civilian's fault

Sounds like the police disagree with you.....those...those LIBERALS!! :mad:

So what? They are just trying to save face. In reality that woman caused the accident. You notice all the other drivers stopped but her.

Tell me when you hear sirens when you're entering an intersection do you stop or just keep driving on through?

So what? They are just trying to save face. In reality that woman caused the accident. You notice all the other drivers stopped but her.

Tell me when you hear sirens when you're entering an intersection do you stop or just keep driving on through?

So what? That means youre an idiot. The real police disagree with you.

You seem to not understand reality. And everytime someone has an opinion opposite your own you always "know the reason" and its always some conspiracy stuff you cant prove.

Just like now, the cops disagreed and know the rules. This wasnt a we need to save face story. They ticketed him ON THE SPOT.

Of course they do they are trying to save face. Everyone already thinks they are the ones at fault so they'll settle and the taxpayers will pick up the bill even though that civilian caused the accident

See that's a win win for the cops they take the blame and the taxpayers pay the price

Only a complete moron doesn't see that

You seem to not understand reality. And everytime someone has an opinion opposite your own you always "know the reason" and its always some conspiracy stuff you cant prove.

Just like now, the cops disagreed and know the rules. This wasnt a we need to save face story. They ticketed him ON THE SPOT.

Ticketed who?

And the rules are you immediately yield the right of way to any emergency vehicle with sirens on and lights flashing

Of course they do they are trying to save face. Everyone already thinks they are the ones at fault so they'll settle and the taxpayers will pick up the bill even though that civilian caused the accident

See that's a win win for the cops they take the blame and the taxpayers pay the price

Only a complete moron doesn't see that

So you are claiming the police disdain the public and wish to make them pay the tab when the police are not really at fault? When did you start sniffing gun powder?

Ticketed who?

And the rules are you immediately yield the right of way to any emergency vehicle with sirens on and lights flashing

I know, but you're pretending he wasnt doing 90 through a red light. What does the rules say about that?

What type of super hero are you to be aware of a cop approaching at 90 mph, see him from blocks away...hear him from blocks away and pull over.

I know what type of super hero you are, Mr I'd do everything right in a hypothetical situation man!

My opinion.....if I was this cops sergeant I'd suspend him for 30 days no pay and recommend he be terminated. I hated car chases back when I was in uniform and I hate them now.

Unless the suspect is GOING TO KILL someone if he's allowed to escape.....the car chase is more dangerous than letting then thug escape.

Used to tell my subordinates....chase em on foot til your shoe sole melts. But you chase a car...I expect a list of people the suspect was GOING TO KILL if you didn't catch him.

The cop was 100% wrong. Academies DO NOT TEACH to go through lights like that. They've done countless studies that show the siren sound waves don't reach the driver fast enough or loud enough. And....drivers may have radio on.

This cop should be terminated in my opinion and charged with reckless driving. Totally unacceptable. Period.

Forum List

Back