This is why some Police have a No Pursuit Policy in some cases

Cops get a free pass in almost all cases, whether they're right or wrong. The woman was driving legally, didn't run a red light, and was following the normal flow of traffic. The cop was driving as cops normal do, like they own the roads and can do as they damn well please. When it comes to cops, every single citizen can claim that they fear for their safety, or fear for their life. But, the courts only accept such a defense from cops. Go figure.

For the most part, COPS are low-life assholes.
Aren't we "legally" supposed to pull over and wait when we hear a siren nearby? Was she deaf? That's what the siren is for.
You don't pull over in the middle of an intersection. Also, in a lot of cases, it's very difficult to determine where the siren is coming from. And, cops are suppose to approach intersections with caution when involved in a chase. When cops are driving 80 or 90 MPH, the time between hearing a siren and actually seeing the cop is very short, in a second or so. Cops are suppose to observe traffic at all times, even when chasing another vehicle.
I get that. I'm not saying it was all her fault. Just that even I can hear a siren coming blocks away, and if I can't figure out where its coming from, I pull over if possible.
Some can hear most sirens, and some can't. But, the point is that cops are trained to use extreme caution when entering an intersection, for their safety, and for the general public's safety. It's basically just plain common sense.

I would argue that if you can't hear a siren YOU SHOULDN'T BE FUCKING DRIVING.
Doesnt matter what you argue. You dont have any authority.

You can be preoccupied on the road and not hear a siren.

Aren't we "legally" supposed to pull over and wait when we hear a siren nearby? Was she deaf? That's what the siren is for.
You don't pull over in the middle of an intersection. Also, in a lot of cases, it's very difficult to determine where the siren is coming from. And, cops are suppose to approach intersections with caution when involved in a chase. When cops are driving 80 or 90 MPH, the time between hearing a siren and actually seeing the cop is very short, in a second or so. Cops are suppose to observe traffic at all times, even when chasing another vehicle.
I get that. I'm not saying it was all her fault. Just that even I can hear a siren coming blocks away, and if I can't figure out where its coming from, I pull over if possible.
Some can hear most sirens, and some can't. But, the point is that cops are trained to use extreme caution when entering an intersection, for their safety, and for the general public's safety. It's basically just plain common sense.

Sure , if you're hip hoppin down the road in a stolen car with the 22s spinning and the rap music blaring.

But even then, you are legally responsible for your actions if you don't hear a siren and cause an accident.

Cops get a free pass in almost all cases, whether they're right or wrong. The woman was driving legally, didn't run a red light, and was following the normal flow of traffic. The cop was driving as cops normal do, like they own the roads and can do as they damn well please. When it comes to cops, every single citizen can claim that they fear for their safety, or fear for their life. But, the courts only accept such a defense from cops. Go figure.

I can hear just fine. And, I've been driving for 52 years now without a single accident. But, there are times when the emergency vehicle is right on me before I hear the siren. Also, in certain conditions, it's very difficult to tell whether the vehicle is coming towards you, or going away from you. Once I hear and see it, I always immediately pull over until is safe to continue. I've never had a problem getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle, whether I it was a Cop, ambulance, or fire truck.

Just curious, how long have you been driving, and have you ever had an accident?

P.S. - I've lived and worked in 13 different states, lived in big cities and small cities, and experienced every kind of traffic conditions that you can name. I've driven across country several times, and fully understand to get out of the way of emergency vehicles.

I can hear just fine. And, I've been driving for 52 years now without a single accident. But, there are times when the emergency vehicle is right on me before I hear the siren. Also, in certain conditions, it's very difficult to tell whether the vehicle is coming towards you, or going away from you. Once I hear and see it, I always immediately pull over until is safe to continue. I've never had a problem getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle, whether I it was a Cop, ambulance, or fire truck.

Just curious, how long have you been driving, and have you ever had an accident?

P.S. - I've lived and worked in 13 different states, lived in big cities and small cities, and experienced every kind of traffic conditions that you can name. I've driven across country several times, and fully understand to get out of the way of emergency vehicles.

I didn't imply that YOU personally couldn't hear a siren.

Sure , if you're hip hoppin down the road in a stolen car with the 22s spinning and the rap music blaring.

But even then, you are legally responsible for your actions if you don't hear a siren and cause an accident.
You could be listening to elevator music and trying to remember the recipe for your macaroni and cheese with potato chips on top and not hear the siren.

A cop blowing through an intersection at 90 mph is the cause of the accident.

And, the exact same should apply to Cops. We all should obey the laws equally, regardless of our profession or circumstances. Laws are written and enforced for the general well-being of all, and not just for those NOT wearing a Cop uniform.

You could be listening to elevator music and trying to remember the recipe for your macaroni and cheese with potato chips on top and not hear the siren.

A cop blowing through an intersection at 90 mph is the cause of the accident.

^^^ This is 100% true. Anyone disagreeing is just wrong.

Troopers said Officer Chris Bonner blew through a red light last Thursday while chasing two armed suspects.

Woman injured in crash with Ocoee police officer speaks with WESH 2 News

Unlucky officer and lady.

Odds are if you 'blow through' an intersection, you will not be harmed unless the light just changed, as in this case. Apparently the officer did not notice it change.

But if you are heading to a 4 lane road and there is typical traffic, the faster you go through the intersection the LESS likely you are to hit anyone.

IF you are ever at a road, watch the distance between the cars. It is typically 7 car lengths or more outside of rush hour. You hit it at 90 mph and it is very unlikely you will hit anyone or anyone will hit you.

When you hear sirens at an intersection you're supposed to stop

Seems to me it was the civilian's fault

Sounds like the police disagree with you.....those...those LIBERALS!! :mad:

So what? They are just trying to save face. In reality that woman caused the accident. You notice all the other drivers stopped but her.

Tell me when you hear sirens when you're entering an intersection do you stop or just keep driving on through?
So what? That means youre an idiot. The real police disagree with you.

Of course they do they are trying to save face. Everyone already thinks they are the ones at fault so they'll settle and the taxpayers will pick up the bill even though that civilian caused the accident

See that's a win win for the cops they take the blame and the taxpayers pay the price

Only a complete moron doesn't see that
So you are claiming the police disdain the public and wish to make them pay the tab when the police are not really at fault? When did you start sniffing gun powder?

In THIS case where the civilian IMO was clearly at fault because she didn't yield to the cruiser with both its sirens and lights on yes.

It is never a loss for the cops to admit they are wrong and to settle a case where they will be sued. The public is appeased and the taxpayers foot the bill

When you hear sirens at an intersection you're supposed to stop

Seems to me it was the civilian's fault

So what? They are just trying to save face. In reality that woman caused the accident. You notice all the other drivers stopped but her.

Tell me when you hear sirens when you're entering an intersection do you stop or just keep driving on through?

You seem to not understand reality. And everytime someone has an opinion opposite your own you always "know the reason" and its always some conspiracy stuff you cant prove.

Just like now, the cops disagreed and know the rules. This wasnt a we need to save face story. They ticketed him ON THE SPOT.

Ticketed who?

And the rules are you immediately yield the right of way to any emergency vehicle with sirens on and lights flashing

I know, but you're pretending he wasnt doing 90 through a red light. What does the rules say about that?

What type of super hero are you to be aware of a cop approaching at 90 mph, see him from blocks away...hear him from blocks away and pull over.

I know what type of super hero you are, Mr I'd do everything right in a hypothetical situation man!

You tell me what the rules say

If there was a department policy or state law prohibiting it then link to it

That civilian did not yield when every other car at that intersection did

And that still puts you at fault not the cop

Troopers said Officer Chris Bonner blew through a red light last Thursday while chasing two armed suspects.

Woman injured in crash with Ocoee police officer speaks with WESH 2 News

In a modern car, if the windows are closed, the HVAC fan on high, and the radio on even at normal volume, you cannot hear a siren until it is right on top of you. On my motorcycle, between wind noise, my earplugs, and the muffling effect of my helmet, the same is true.

And note: I have seen MANY police cruisers running with strobes but WITHOUT the siren!

Last edited:

Of course they do they are trying to save face. Everyone already thinks they are the ones at fault so they'll settle and the taxpayers will pick up the bill even though that civilian caused the accident

See that's a win win for the cops they take the blame and the taxpayers pay the price

So you are claiming the police disdain the public and wish to make them pay the tab when the police are not really at fault? When did you start sniffing gun powder?

In THIS case where the civilian IMO was clearly at fault because she didn't yield to the cruiser with both its sirens and lights on yes.

It is never a loss for the cops to admit they are wrong and to settle a case where they will be sued. The public is appeased and the taxpayers foot the bill

Dude, just give up. Even Bucs, who usually will defend cops no matter how egregious their conduct, knows the fault here is 100% on the cop.

Dude, just give up. Even Bucs, who usually will defend cops no matter how egregious their conduct, knows the fault here is 100% on the cop.

Why should I give up because you say so?

And I'm not defending the cops at all I am merely pointing out the FACT that the civilian driver did not yield like every other driver in that intersection did.

You can make up all the excuses you want as to why she didn't yield but that doesn't change the fact that she didn't does it?

Forum List

Back