This is why we need a living wage

Are we demanding that you pay minimum wage workers for hours not worked? No we are demanding a living wage for the hours they work. That was a nice try though.

Not one answer to the fact that a living wage at Walmart would cost you a whopping one penny on the dollar. How much were you claiming it would cost? $25 for a burger at McDonalds?

That is not a fact, it is a fabrication created by your union. It's based on absolutely nothing, it just sounds good as a slogan.

What is the standard gross margin that Walmart seeks? What are the labor, material, and overhead components? . Walmart starts at $9.18 an hour, what would a 250% increase in labor cost do to prices?

You can tell whatever tales you like, but they fall apart under even cursory examination.

Last edited:
Must everything be explained to you? Where did the kid get the lawn mower,the weed eater,the gas,the oil the maintenance on his equipment. And lets say he mows four or five lawns a day. You do realize a mower isnt going to last long when it's used that often right? A decent mower for commercial use is going to run AT LEAST six hundred bucks.
I'b be willing to bet it's mommy and daddies mower. And no matter what you say his annual income is going to suck because he's not mowing grass year round.
Dont be such a simpleton.

When I did commercial landscaping and maintenance, our contracts for businesses were a minimum 12 month contract at a fixed monthly price.

This is some kid with a lawnmower she's talking about. And I'm no stranger to lawn care cost. I spend $260.00 a month during the summer. But that includes everything from mulch,tree trimming,changing out the flowers in the beds 4 or 5 times a year,pretty much everything.You'd be hard pressed to find a homeowner willing to pay for lawn maintenance year round though.

When I did commercial landscaping and maintenance, our contracts for businesses were a minimum 12 month contract at a fixed monthly price.

My gardener charges a flat $50 a month. A truckload of Mexicans show up once a week, mow the lawn, blow leaves in the pool, and leave the gate open so the dogs get out. They are in and out in about 15 minutes. One guy mows, another edges, and another blows the clippings around.

They do a crappy job, but for $12 a week, what can you expect? I use them because they are cheap enough that it isn't worth it to do it myself. Much more and I'd mow my own damned lawn...

My gardener charges a flat $50 a month. A truckload of Mexicans show up once a week, mow the lawn, blow leaves in the pool, and leave the gate open so the dogs get out. They are in and out in about 15 minutes. One guy mows, another edges, and another blows the clippings around.

They do a crappy job, but for $12 a week, what can you expect? I use them because they are cheap enough that it isn't worth it to do it myself. Much more and I'd mow my own damned lawn...

It takes me seven bucks for gas to mow my yard once (2 gallons), so you are getting a sweet deal :eusa_whistle:

Thats not a living wage. Unless of course you want to pay him in the winter when the grass doesnt grow.

Are we demanding that you pay minimum wage workers for hours not worked? No we are demanding a living wage for the hours they work. That was a nice try though.

Not one answer to the fact that a living wage at Walmart would cost you a whopping one penny on the dollar. How much were you claiming it would cost? $25 for a burger at McDonalds?

Must everything be explained to you? Where did the kid get the lawn mower,the weed eater,the gas,the oil the maintenance on his equipment. And lets say he mows four or five lawns a day. You do realize a mower isnt going to last long when it's used that often right? A decent mower for commercial use is going to run AT LEAST six hundred bucks.
I'b be willing to bet it's mommy and daddies mower. And no matter what you say his annual income is going to suck because he's not mowing grass year round.
Dont be such a simpleton.

Again, no one is requesting a living wage for one hour of work. We are requesting a living hourly wage. How many times are you going to ignore the point that giving all Walmart workers a wage so they don't have to depend on our tax dollars would only cost us a penny on the dollar at the check stand? Your $25 dollar burger was so off the mark as to be laughable.

It takes me seven bucks for gas to mow my yard once (2 gallons), so you are getting a sweet deal :eusa_whistle:

That must be quite a yard.

My front lawn is all they do. My back yard is all concrete - massive pool and the rest is deck and patio.

I'd guess the lawn is 40 x 20 or so - it doesn't take that much gas.

about an acre and a half of grass. When it is hitting on 100 in july and august, I am usually "Screw the back half--the zoning enforcement people can't see it."

My front lawn is all they do. My back yard is all concrete - massive pool and the rest is deck and patio.

about an acre and a half of grass. When it is hitting on 100 in july and august, I am usually "Screw the back half--the zoning enforcement people can't see it."

Yeah, my entire lot is 1/3rd of an acre, front, back, and house. In California, this is a big lot....

I'm guessing you have a riding mower?

I am skeptical of the validity of the first part of your post. "Free of charge" would lead to a lot of waste and those suppliers would still need to be paid so that they could in turn pay their workers who could in turn afford goods and services, essential or otherwise. We wouldn't even be able to keep grocery stores stocked if food were free. It is hard enough for them to keep them stocked when they have a really good sale.
I guess the purpose of the food stamps is to keep track of how much each household gets of certain commodities for free so that they don't waste food. You would also limit it to certain foods and if people want more special foods, they would need to pay for those with money.

Food isn't the only commodity that drives inflation through fiscal stimulus. What about housing? What could be done to guarantee housing so that minimum wage laws could be ended?

Wouldn't it be better to provide people with minimum welfare guarantees and then deregulate wages completely than to regulate wages for the sake of maintaining markets for people to pay for their own welfare? Direct assistance is less susceptible than income to exploitation through predatory lending and other practices. You can cheat someone out of their rent money but it's harder to cheat them out of their housing.

Acre & a half... that sucks to big for a walk behind to small for a real tractor with a pull behind 6'-8' deck. Once a quarter or so I pull a bush hog around my pasture & trails. Have a walk behind for some grass around the house but it's fairly tame I only seem to have to cut it about twelve times a year. We don't water it, so it gets to be a nice pretty brown when it's cold and/or dry out.

Yeah, my entire lot is 1/3rd of an acre, front, back, and house. In California, this is a big lot....

I'm guessing you have a riding mower?

oh heck yeah I have a riding mower. :D

Acre & a half... that sucks to big for a walk behind to small for a real tractor with a pull behind 6'-8' deck. Once a quarter or so I pull a bush hog around my pasture & trails. Have a walk behind for some grass around the house but it's fairly tame I only seem to have to cut it about twelve times a year. We don't water it, so it gets to be a nice pretty brown when it's cold and/or dry out.

My lot (well technically two lots) is just shy of 2 acres but has a few trees around the fringes, then I have a garden and the footprint of the house/driveway. I don't water mine unless I am seeding other than my garden. In the spring I have to mow every week but in the summer I can usually go 2-3 weeks easy. I like to keep the frontage neatly trimmed because we have these roving zoning patrols that get worked up if your grass is long, but beyond that, I don't sweat it that much.

Are you suggesting that people in other countries do not want more goods at a lower price?

No, not suggesting that at all, but what I can't help wondering is this "at what price will people ask for those cheaper goods to come to them or are they even asking for that at all", and are they actually asking it for it at any price that is the lowest one, especially when they know what is attached to that idea or way of thinking ?

What type of suffering will people allow or endure in order to get those lowest prices available to them, whether in this nation and/or in the other countries/nations ? We have seen that preview already, and it hasn't been pretty at all at times has it ? "NIke" as I remember was just one example among many problems found in all of this over time. It was also involving sweat shop labor or modern day slavery found in the producing of these goods abroad. I don't think the people are searching for the lowest price per-sae, but more so of a fair price instead is all they want I think really. People know a fair and just price when they see it, and if they have to they will take two more weeks in order to get the money, instead of wanting it right away if they know it will be worth the wait.

A standard of living, is based on the ability to get goods at lower prices. Countries which subvert that system, often end up with lower standards of living.... obviously because if I have to pay twice as much for food, then I can't spend as much on other things. If I have to pay twice as much for a car, then I have less for other things... or I don't get the car.

This is true everywhere in the world. Yes, I would advocate the same everywhere.

Ok, but it's also based upon the value of the dollar for the most part, but in a class system like we have today in America, where as the gap is growing bigger and bigger or was growing bigger and bigger during the bubble or better times for some, but not so for many others as it should have been. I saw that the poor can be held down with a lower valued dollar in such a system that is geared for a class system to work well in such ways.

Especially if they have only a few dollars given them for their services, while on the other hand the rich have plenty of dollars in which they have gained in many different ways/methods (i.e. maybe good in some ways, but not so good in others), so what they do, is they stack them up quickly in order to get ahead, therefore making their value far greater in society than those for whom they see easily being held back in a system in which they could easily control in this way. Not all rich are bad, so don't get me wrong about that, but the balance has tipped the scales over time, therefore causing an out of balance situation to grow until we possibly have reached a point of no return. It is also producing the likes of these killers I think in society, where as hollywood has stepped in and is filling the idle minds with terrible stuff, and then the government has been paying the way for many, only to unleash what they have become in society or to show as to what kind of a product of such a society in which they have become has been loosed on us.

Last edited:
I am skeptical of the validity of the first part of your post. "Free of charge" would lead to a lot of waste and those suppliers would still need to be paid so that they could in turn pay their workers who could in turn afford goods and services, essential or otherwise. We wouldn't even be able to keep grocery stores stocked if food were free. It is hard enough for them to keep them stocked when they have a really good sale.
I guess the purpose of the food stamps is to keep track of how much each household gets of certain commodities for free so that they don't waste food. You would also limit it to certain foods and if people want more special foods, they would need to pay for those with money.

Food isn't the only commodity that drives inflation through fiscal stimulus. What about housing? What could be done to guarantee housing so that minimum wage laws could be ended?

Wouldn't it be better to provide people with minimum welfare guarantees and then deregulate wages completely than to regulate wages for the sake of maintaining markets for people to pay for their own welfare? Direct assistance is less susceptible than income to exploitation through predatory lending and other practices. You can cheat someone out of their rent money but it's harder to cheat them out of their housing.

The system like you seem to envision might work well in a small place like Cuba, but I just do not see how it could even be logistically possible in a nation as large as the US in both population and geography. I cannot answer your question because it is just too extreme to even consider even remotely practical. We need a society less dependent on the government, not one that is subject to its will for every single critical decision in life.

The system like you seem to envision might work well in a small place like Cuba, but I just do not see how it could even be logistically possible in a nation as large as the US in both population and geography. I cannot answer your question because it is just too extreme to even consider even remotely practical. We need a society less dependent on the government, not one that is subject to its will for every single critical decision in life.

There is no such thing as a national-level system in the US. There is only the US dollar and the capacity to tax and spend through various institutions. The problem is that ideologues have figured out that they can translate any social problem into an impetus for pumping more fiscal stimulus into circulation. Then they fail to acknowledge that practically all social problems are either caused or exacerbated by competition for the circulating money as people do whatever it takes to get money instead of focusing on doing what is right and what is effective and efficient in the absence of the monetary incentive.

Non-monetary (i.e. direct) solutions to problems are needed. Continuing to throw money at the economy is only making it worse.

Forum List

Back