This mayor wants to publicize who’s on welfare and where they live

Are you saying your earnings has no bearing on what you get from S.S. ?

No, that is not what I said. I said that what you "pay in" does not have anything to do with what you "get out" of it.

If you die at the age of 50 years old, what do you get from Social Security? Nothing.
If you live until you're 115, when does your Social Security run out? Never.

Social Security benefits are defined by statutorily prescribed rules. At the moment, they are based on your income levels for the five years preceding the initiation of benefits and your age at the time you initiate benefits. Once you start receiving benefits, you continue to receive benefits until you die. Your amount is always subject to change based on changes to statute.

Nowhere in any of this does your total contributions actually have any bearing whatsoever on your total benefits. This is not a retirement account that accrues interest and has a finite amount that can be paid out, and can be paid out to a beneficiary if you die before it is exhausted.

They publish the names of those who break the law.

What laws have poor people broken?

Vagrancy and loitering. The same laws that apply to non-poor and people who live in homes.

Then post the names of those who have been arrested for vagrancy and loitering. That has nothing to do with being on welfare or for that matter, being poor.

Oh please with this "arrest people for being poor" nonsense. You and I both know it's a leftist canard. You can only be arrested for breaking the law, and homeless people linger around where they shouldn't be. That's why they may get arrested. There is no law that says it's against the law to be homeless or poor.

What are you talking about? I haven't said anything about "arresting people for being poor" - in fact, the point I made was exactly the one you are trying to make. If they've been arrested for vagrancy or loitering that is one thing - they've broken a law. Post their names if you think it's so vital. That is not the same as receiving some form of public assistance where no law has been broken.

Okay, then you're talking about the list and I was talking about the criminalization.

Moving on, did you have any thoughts when NYC published the names and addresses of all their gun owners?
Sheesh Ray, that was two counties in New York State and it was NOT THE GOVERNMENT that did such publishing of this information, it was a NEWSPAPER....who through public records, got this information and published it.

You are way off base on this one, there is no comparison.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/25/us/new-york-gun-permit-map/

Vagrancy and loitering. The same laws that apply to non-poor and people who live in homes.

Then post the names of those who have been arrested for vagrancy and loitering. That has nothing to do with being on welfare or for that matter, being poor.

Oh please with this "arrest people for being poor" nonsense. You and I both know it's a leftist canard. You can only be arrested for breaking the law, and homeless people linger around where they shouldn't be. That's why they may get arrested. There is no law that says it's against the law to be homeless or poor.

What are you talking about? I haven't said anything about "arresting people for being poor" - in fact, the point I made was exactly the one you are trying to make. If they've been arrested for vagrancy or loitering that is one thing - they've broken a law. Post their names if you think it's so vital. That is not the same as receiving some form of public assistance where no law has been broken.

Okay, then you're talking about the list and I was talking about the criminalization.

Moving on, did you have any thoughts when NYC published the names and addresses of all their gun owners?
Sheesh Ray, that was two counties in New York State and it was NOT THE GOVERNMENT that did such publishing of this information, it was a NEWSPAPER....who through public records, got this information and published it.

Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders - CNN.com

There's no comparison? So if this were the newspapers instead of a government official giving out names and addresses of welfare people, you would be okay with that?

Yep, you are right: they aren't forced to accept it. However, it doesn't benefit them in any way.

That is their choice.

True, but that doesn't entitle you to know their address. IF they didn't accept it, then Section #8 wouldn't be possible. Do you think every office supply store has to publish its tax returns if the government buys pens and paper there?

Theoretically, SSI and Medicare benefits are paid for by contributions from the beneficiaries.

This is false. You are subject to the same popular misconception/rationalization as many others. SSI and Medicare are entitlements. What you "pay in" to those programs has nothing to do with what you "get out" of them. People qualify for them based on statutorily prescribed qualifications, just like food stamps. People qualify for a certain amount of benefit based on statutorily prescribed rules, just like food stamps.

The "contributions" you make are not for your own future benefits. They pay for other people's benefits current benefits. Your money is being redistributed to someone else. Later in life, other people's money will be redistributed to you. And it is as simple as that.

I said "theoretically." That's what its supporters claim, and that's what the people who created these programs claimed. The fact that they were liars and that we all got swindled is beside the point. If you want to abolish Social Security based on the fact that it's based on lies, then be my guest. However, that doesn't give you justification for publishing the names and addresses of the recipients. Furthermore, there wouldn't be any stigma attached to that information, so what's the point?

Yep, you are right: they aren't forced to accept it. However, it doesn't benefit them in any way.

That is their choice.

True, but that doesn't entitle you to know their address. IF they didn't accept it, then Section #8 wouldn't be possible. Do you think every office supply store has to publish its tax returns if the government buys pens and paper there?

Likewise, the fact that someone receives SNAP benefits does not entitle you to their address.

Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders - CNN.com

There's no comparison? So if this were the newspapers instead of a government official giving out names and addresses of welfare people, you would be okay with that?
i was NOT ok with the newspaper doing this to gun holders, why would i be okay with news papers doing this to those in need?

And he's wrong why ?

When you tie into the government....you get a lot more than you want.
He's wrong because this is an invasion of privacy, puts peoples lives in danger, and is another pathetic way to demonize the poor.

It's not an invasion of privacy.

They publish who gets speeding tickets......

Put's peoples lives in danger ? You are funny.

Demonize them ? What did he say he was going to do with the information to justify this claim ?
You loons are the ones who want people out of your lives, now you want to start tagging people on welfare so inbred hicks will have that information.

Did the mayor say that ? Inbred hicks ?
No, I'm saying we don't need tea party members knowing the location of people on welfare.

Write a letter then, and tell the mayor not to release your name, you friggin bum.

i was NOT ok with the newspaper doing this to gun holders, why would i be okay with news papers doing this to those in need?

Just pointing out that it's not exactly apples to oranges.

While I don't see a need to post who is on welfare, I don't see the harm either. It's my experience with people on the dole that they have absolutely no shame, and obviously this is what's happening in that area as far as the Mayor is concerned.

I had a problem with the HUD home next to me until the owner sold out. These lowlifes would come home on a work night at 3:00 am with music blaring from the car. Then they would stand outside for a while, BS, laughing out loud keeping me awake.

One night after they pulled in, I very nicely (through my bedroom window) asked them to keep the radio off when then come in that late. The black guy got out of his car. He began screaming at the top of his lungs towards my house. He called me out to fight him. It took me everything to not grab my gun and take him down.

Instead, I called the police. By the time they came, the lowlifes ran in the house and hid. I met the officer at the front of my house, but as I looked at the house next door, I seen the mini blinds raise a bit so they could see what's going on.

I knew they were listening, so I made sure my comments to the officer were heard by him and the lowlifes.

I said "These lowlifes don't belong here. They belong in the inner-city. My tax dollars have to support these lowlifes and that's one thing, but all I ask in return is they let me get enough sleep so I can work in the morning to produce these taxes they are living off of. Is that asking too much?"

Many of these people don't look at welfare programs that way. They are ignorant and believe it's Obama Money that's taking care of them---not working people. So yes, I can see trying to insert shame into the mixture.

So what? People in their neighborhoods already mostly know who is on the dole. We were on welfare after my mom left our dad. Mom had a very powerful family but ... whatever. Skeletons in the closet

I do remember being in the early Housing projects where families not on welfare sort of mocked us, but we knew they were tools. Many were veterans and others like others outside of the projects who mocked us BUT in the old projects in the tight blue collar neighborhoods -- we all KNEW each others family secrets :laugh2: :
scamming the system...the gossipers, they were all mostly drunks, abusers, rapists, adulterers...

so why the eff do you care? families receiving welfare benefits know the score and white trash and poor folks with 'issues' will always know who is on welfare -- it helps them live in denial -- denial that they are better somehow

We never cared for left wing progressives like you

so eff off. the welfare people today want it all. Mostly immigrants and cheaters who have no family past that paid into the system. Not saying don't help them... just don't coddle them. It's patronizing and shitty on your part anyway to think they need YOU to speak up for them. They get a really good deal in America they would not get elsewhere

:rofl:

note: on edit this post is a bit harsh, but ... so tired of progressive bs with the overbearing patronizing crap

Last edited:
I posted my reasons prior.....go back and read.

What if ? Always the whining about what if......

In an age where we could stand a few more taxes on the rich and a few less soakers on the other end....it's time to start thinking about how this all works.

There are other means of dealing with the other end that doesn't hurt innocent people.

If making it public that someone is on welfare is harmful, then you must think it is shameful.

I do think it's shameful. It's horrible to have to be put in a position where you need assistance. It's humiliating. Why make it worse for the person who needs it?

The only reason I can think of that people would want to do this is to deliberately target and shame them, regardless of what has driven them to that point.

Think a little harder.
That would be wasted on you.

Clearly, it would be wasted....period.

Yes. Totally irresponsible and wrong.

Why ?

You figure that if people came for their guns, they might get the bullets ?

I'd have no problem with someone doing it around here.

Why ?

No. I figure it's nobody's business.

I really don't care.
Don't people have a right to know if gun owners live near them?
What is the point of posting the names and addresses of those who receive some form of public assistance?
What if it inspires some anti-welfare nut to go and harrass them?

Or, is that one of those "I really don't care" moments?

In an age where we could stand a few more taxes on the rich and a few less soakers on the other end....it's time to start thinking about how this all works.

There are other means of dealing with the other end that doesn't hurt innocent people.

There is nothing to show this will hurt anyone.

Nothing to show it would help either.

Never claimed there would be.

Like most who don't think, you seem to have the answer before asking the question.

I'll be you were great at dry-labbing.

Why ?

Who really gives a flying fig what you figure.

Why ?

Why are you melting down? :booze::blahblah:

Don't people have a right to know if gun owners live near them?
What is the point of posting the names and addresses of those who receive some form of public assistance?
What if it inspires some anti-welfare nut to go and harrass them?

Or, is that one of those "I really don't care" moments?

There is nothing to show this will hurt anyone.

Nothing to show it would help either.

Never claimed there would be.

Like most who don't think, you seem to have the answer before asking the question.

I'll be you were great at dry-labbing.

And I bet you'd be great at something....eventually. With a bit of assistance.

Why ?

I don't know but you were the one asking and figuring. If you don't want to know then...why waste everyone's time asking?

Why ?

I don't know but you were the one asking and figuring. If you don't want to know then...why waste everyone's time asking?

I didn't ask if it was a matter of being people's business. I asked if you had a concern over safety.

But, we've already established that owning guns does not equate to being on government assistance.

It has been well established over the years that people scam the government on a routine basis.

Forum List

Back