This mayor wants to publicize who’s on welfare and where they live

Your employer is not the government Welfare is not a paycheck. just as the taxpayers have a right to know which government contractors are recieving government payments, it has a right to know anyone else who is recieving checks from the government, especially when they are not rendering any service or product in exchange.

So, you want all people receiving SSI, SSDI, and Medicare to be listed?

Theoretically, SSI and Medicare benefits are paid for by contributions from the beneficiaries. Furthermore, that would include almost everyone at some point in their lives, so , no, they should be listed. However, welfare beneficiaries have done nothing in exchange for what they receive. Taxpayers are paying their bills.
So everyone else including farm subsidies, Section Eight landlords, banks and financial institutions that get bailed out, they should all get listed as government beneficiaries.

I believe landlords are forced to accept section #8 vouchers. The people who use them should be listed. The landlord gains nothing.

All farm subsidies should be public records. Also bank bailouts, but they already are.
Section Eight landlords are NOT forced to accept vouchers. Your belief is wrong again (but I admire your consistency). The landlord gets a check each and every month. Hardly nothing.

You can see no circumstance where someone might find themselves needing assistance through no fault of their own?

Only in a situation where a medical condition might be the culprit. Other than that, no, I really don't.

Most poverty is caused from bad planning which is not the fault of anybody but the individual. In many of those cases, children are involved. It takes a lot of money to raise a child today. That's why nobody should have children until they are 100% sure their financial situation is stable and worth the risk.
I envy you...living in a black or white world must be so easy.

No need to envy me. I just made better decisions in life. When I was younger, I made a decision to not have children and I never did. I didn't want the responsibility or associated costs with children.

I started working minimum wage jobs and kept trying to better myself. In those days, it was not uncommon for me to have two to three jobs with my full-time job being six days a week.

I made investments and took risks. Some worked out and some didn't. But one thing about me is I always tried.

So I cannot see anything that would prevent another American from doing the same as I did or even better provided they are physically and mentally capable.
That's right...it's black and white to you...you either succeed or you're inferior.
Such a simple and satisfying outlook on life...no need to think or empathise or consider circumstance...you're poor so you're useless/stupid/inferior/...

You are generalizing.

I'm fair in my debates, so tell me, what situation (outside of medical disabilities) would justify a person being poor being no fault of their own?

I believe poverty exists because of personal decisions, and you disagree, however, you have yet to give me any examples of why I am wrong.
You're the one who is generalising.
According to you, if you're poor it's your own fault.

You didn't hear of a little thing generally known as the Global Financial Crisis in which millions of jobs were lost?

Natural disasters, changing technology, war, government policy, changing markets, a business failing that you work for, caring for sick dependents, criminal activity against you...

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that personal decisions never have an influence in one's financial situation.
I'm saying that there are plenty of reasons that you might have no influence...
It's not only one or the other...

Should Persons in that City; start a class action suit for unemployment compensation on an at-will basis in our at-will employment States, instead of apply for welfare?

Your employer is not the government Welfare is not a paycheck. just as the taxpayers have a right to know which government contractors are recieving government payments, it has a right to know anyone else who is recieving checks from the government, especially when they are not rendering any service or product in exchange.

So, you want all people receiving SSI, SSDI, and Medicare to be listed?

Theoretically, SSI and Medicare benefits are paid for by contributions from the beneficiaries. Furthermore, that would include almost everyone at some point in their lives, so , no, they should be listed. However, welfare beneficiaries have done nothing in exchange for what they receive. Taxpayers are paying their bills.
So everyone else including farm subsidies, Section Eight landlords, banks and financial institutions that get bailed out, they should all get listed as government beneficiaries.

I believe landlords are forced to accept section #8 vouchers. The people who use them should be listed. The landlord gains nothing.

All farm subsidies should be public records. Also bank bailouts, but they already are.
Section Eight landlords are NOT forced to accept vouchers. Your belief is wrong again (but I admire your consistency). The landlord gets a check each and every month. Hardly nothing.

Yep, you are right: they aren't forced to accept it. However, it doesn't benefit them in any way. All it means is that some tick on the ass of society lives in his unit rather than a productive citizen. Either way, the landlord gets a check, but Section #8 tenants normally bring a lot of crime and drug abuse with them.

Only in a situation where a medical condition might be the culprit. Other than that, no, I really don't.

Most poverty is caused from bad planning which is not the fault of anybody but the individual. In many of those cases, children are involved. It takes a lot of money to raise a child today. That's why nobody should have children until they are 100% sure their financial situation is stable and worth the risk.
I envy you...living in a black or white world must be so easy.

No need to envy me. I just made better decisions in life. When I was younger, I made a decision to not have children and I never did. I didn't want the responsibility or associated costs with children.

I started working minimum wage jobs and kept trying to better myself. In those days, it was not uncommon for me to have two to three jobs with my full-time job being six days a week.

I made investments and took risks. Some worked out and some didn't. But one thing about me is I always tried.

So I cannot see anything that would prevent another American from doing the same as I did or even better provided they are physically and mentally capable.
That's right...it's black and white to you...you either succeed or you're inferior.
Such a simple and satisfying outlook on life...no need to think or empathise or consider circumstance...you're poor so you're useless/stupid/inferior/...

You are generalizing.

I'm fair in my debates, so tell me, what situation (outside of medical disabilities) would justify a person being poor being no fault of their own?

I believe poverty exists because of personal decisions, and you disagree, however, you have yet to give me any examples of why I am wrong.
You're the one who is generalising.
According to you, if you're poor it's your own fault.

You didn't hear of a little thing generally known as the Global Financial Crisis in which millions of jobs were lost?

Natural disasters, changing technology, war, government policy, changing markets, a business failing that you work for, caring for sick dependents, criminal activity against you...

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that personal decisions never have an influence in one's financial situation.
I'm saying that there are plenty of reasons that you might have no influence...
It's not only one or the other...

Well that is a nice list, but I'm going by personal experience. We have plenty of people in my suburb that are poor, I have or had tenants that were poor, I used to work in the medical field for ten years where I was in the homes of thousands of poor people.

I've yet to run into somebody that ever fell in your categories; not that it couldn't be the case for some exceptions, but my experience has shown me that people are poor because of bad decision making.

But I will add one to your list that I found common among those who did everything the right way, and that is a female where the marriage broke apart and she stayed home with the young children and didn't work. After the break up or divorce, she was basically screwed.

Theoretically, SSI and Medicare benefits are paid for by contributions from the beneficiaries.

This is false. You are subject to the same popular misconception/rationalization as many others. SSI and Medicare are entitlements. What you "pay in" to those programs has nothing to do with what you "get out" of them. People qualify for them based on statutorily prescribed qualifications, just like food stamps. People qualify for a certain amount of benefit based on statutorily prescribed rules, just like food stamps.

The "contributions" you make are not for your own future benefits. They pay for other people's benefits current benefits. Your money is being redistributed to someone else. Later in life, other people's money will be redistributed to you. And it is as simple as that.

And he's wrong why ?

When you tie into the government....you get a lot more than you want.
He's wrong because this is an invasion of privacy, puts peoples lives in danger, and is another pathetic way to demonize the poor.

It's not an invasion of privacy.

They publish who gets speeding tickets......

Put's peoples lives in danger ? You are funny.

Demonize them ? What did he say he was going to do with the information to justify this claim ?

They publish the names of those who break the law.

What laws have poor people broken?

Theoretically, SSI and Medicare benefits are paid for by contributions from the beneficiaries.

This is false. You are subject to the same popular misconception/rationalization as many others. SSI and Medicare are entitlements. What you "pay in" to those programs has nothing to do with what you "get out" of them. People qualify for them based on statutorily prescribed qualifications, just like food stamps. People qualify for a certain amount of benefit based on statutorily prescribed rules, just like food stamps.

The "contributions" you make are not for your own future benefits. They pay for other people's benefits current benefits. Your money is being redistributed to someone else. Later in life, other people's money will be redistributed to you. And it is as simple as that.

Are you saying your earnings has no bearing on what you get from S.S. ?

And he's wrong why ?

He's wrong because this is an invasion of privacy, puts peoples lives in danger, and is another pathetic way to demonize the poor.

Demonize them ? What did he say he was going to do with the information to justify this claim ?

Try to comprehend before posting...please.

The fact that they publish the names of people who get speeding tickets means that somewhere someone didn't see that as an invasion of privacy.

Nobody said the poor broke laws.

I am claiming that posting their names does not invade their privacy.

You want that we should sue for the list using freedom of information ?

And he's wrong why ?

Yeah but posting where the officer that shot the Gentile Giant lived like CNN did was OK? Right?

Totally not. Two wrongs don't make a right.

There is nothing wrong with posting those names.

And he's wrong why ?

The fact that they publish the names of people who get speeding tickets means that somewhere someone didn't see that as an invasion of privacy.

Posting names and addresses of those who get welfare absolutely invades privacy.

At one time they were posting the names and addresses of registered gun owners. Would you be ok with that?

And he's wrong why ?

Yeah but posting where the officer that shot the Gentile Giant lived like CNN did was OK? Right?

You think it's ok to post the name and address of the the police officer?

And he's wrong why ?

Vagrancy and loitering. The same laws that apply to non-poor and people who live in homes.

And he's wrong why ?

Vagrancy and loitering. The same laws that apply to non-poor and people who live in homes.

Then post the names of those who have been arrested for vagrancy and loitering. That has nothing to do with being on welfare or for that matter, being poor.

Was wondering how long it would take a lefty to say that, lol!

Probably will take eternity, since I beat them to punch already.

But here is the deal..............your employer is paying your wages. WE the TAXPAYER, are paying their wages; and we are paying them for doing nothing!

*yawn*

If you're going to have an emotional hissy fit based on your personal hatred for people you know nothing about, then please take it over to the circle jerk. If you want have a rational discussion then you'll have to refer back to the post to which I was replying.

And, besides that, if we listen to what the government has said in its reports; when we find out who/whom is on welfare, we have a 50-50 chance of discovering illegals. According to our laws, they are to be deported, yes?!?!?!?! Or, are you telling me you don't want to enforce our laws?

Okay, forget what I said about having a rational discussion. You're seriously unhinged. Illegals? Where the fuck did that come from? This has nothing to do with illegal immigrants. You're letting yourself be led by your lust for hatred.

And he's wrong why ?

Posting names and addresses of those who get welfare absolutely invades privacy.

At one time they were posting the names and addresses of registered gun owners. Would you be ok with that?

Are gun owners getting help from the government...no.

I've posted my reasons......go back and read.

And he's wrong why ?

I really don't care.

I really don't care.
Don't people have a right to know if gun owners live near them?
What is the point of posting the names and addresses of those who receive some form of public assistance?
What if it inspires some anti-welfare nut to go and harrass them?

Or, is that one of those "I really don't care" moments?

Forum List

Back