This mayor wants to publicize who’s on welfare and where they live

And he's wrong why ?

When you tie into the government....you get a lot more than you want.
He's wrong because this is an invasion of privacy, puts peoples lives in danger, and is another pathetic way to demonize the poor.

It's not an invasion of privacy.

They publish who gets speeding tickets......

Put's peoples lives in danger ? You are funny.

Demonize them ? What did he say he was going to do with the information to justify this claim ?

They publish the names of those who break the law.

What laws have poor people broken?

Vagrancy and loitering. The same laws that apply to non-poor and people who live in homes.

Then post the names of those who have been arrested for vagrancy and loitering. That has nothing to do with being on welfare or for that matter, being poor.

Oh please with this "arrest people for being poor" nonsense. You and I both know it's a leftist canard. You can only be arrested for breaking the law, and homeless people linger around where they shouldn't be. That's why they may get arrested. There is no law that says it's against the law to be homeless or poor.

Yeah but posting where the officer that shot the Gentile Giant lived like CNN did was OK? Right?

Totally not. Two wrongs don't make a right.

There is nothing wrong with posting those names.

You think it's ok to post the name and address of the the police officer?

I really don't care.
Don't people have a right to know if gun owners live near them?
What is the point of posting the names and addresses of those who receive some form of public assistance?
What if it inspires some anti-welfare nut to go and harrass them?

Or, is that one of those "I really don't care" moments?

I posted my reasons prior.....go back and read.

What if ? Always the whining about what if......

In an age where we could stand a few more taxes on the rich and a few less soakers on the other end....it's time to start thinking about how this all works.

He's wrong because this is an invasion of privacy, puts peoples lives in danger, and is another pathetic way to demonize the poor.

Demonize them ? What did he say he was going to do with the information to justify this claim ?

Vagrancy and loitering. The same laws that apply to non-poor and people who live in homes.

Then post the names of those who have been arrested for vagrancy and loitering. That has nothing to do with being on welfare or for that matter, being poor.

Oh please with this "arrest people for being poor" nonsense. You and I both know it's a leftist canard. You can only be arrested for breaking the law, and homeless people linger around where they shouldn't be. That's why they may get arrested. There is no law that says it's against the law to be homeless or poor.

What are you talking about? I haven't said anything about "arresting people for being poor" - in fact, the point I made was exactly the one you are trying to make. If they've been arrested for vagrancy or loitering that is one thing - they've broken a law. Post their names if you think it's so vital. That is not the same as receiving some form of public assistance where no law has been broken.

Yeah,

I know people who out of personal pride would never take a dime of help. I don't think that is smart.

I'd love to preserve welfare for those who need it.

Totally not. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I really don't care.
What is the point of posting the names and addresses of those who receive some form of public assistance?

In an age where we could stand a few more taxes on the rich and a few less soakers on the other end....it's time to start thinking about how this all works.

There are other means of dealing with the other end that doesn't hurt innocent people.

What are you talking about? I haven't said anything about "arresting people for being poor" - in fact, the point I made was exactly the one you are trying to make. If they've been arrested for vagrancy or loitering that is one thing - they've broken a law. Post their names if you think it's so vital. That is not the same as receiving some form of public assistance where no law has been broken.

Get off breaking the law.

Do you think that welfare rolls could be sued out into the open using freedom of information ?

I really don't care.

There are other means of dealing with the other end that doesn't hurt innocent people.

There is nothing to show this will hurt anyone.

Get off breaking the law.

No.

Do you think that welfare rolls could be sued out into the open using freedom of information ?

No.

I really don't care.

If making it public that someone is on welfare is harmful, then you must think being on welfare is shameful.

Using the Leftwing Prog logic that we should all be forced to purchase ObamaCare against our will because we "may" use emergency rooms, then the Public has a right to know whom they are subsidizing with welfare. Just to be consistent....

I really don't care.

Nothing to show it would help either.

I really don't care.

If making it public that someone is on welfare is harmful, then you must think it is shameful.

I do think it's shameful. It's horrible to have to be put in a position where you need assistance. It's humiliating. Why make it worse for the person who needs it?

The only reason I can think of that people would want to do this is to deliberately target and shame them, regardless of what has driven them to that point.

I really don't care.

If making it public that someone is on welfare is harmful, then you must think it is shameful.

I do think it's shameful. It's horrible to have to be put in a position where you need assistance. It's humiliating. Why make it worse for the person who needs it?

Why make it more comfortable?

I really don't care.

The only reason I can think of that people would want to do this is to deliberately target and shame them, regardless of what has driven them to that point.

Think a little harder.

There is nothing "comfortable" about it - whether it's having to use food stamps in front of a clerk who likely knows you or whether it's living in Section 8 housing where everyone knows you can't afford anything else.

Why do people seem to hate poor people? Why is poverty regarded as a moral failing and wealth regarded as a moral virtue regardless of how one got there?

Think a little harder.
That would be wasted on you.

There is nothing "comfortable" about it - whether it's having to use food stamps in front of a clerk who likely knows you or whether it's living in Section 8 housing where everyone knows you can't afford anything else.

Why do people seem to hate poor people? Why is poverty regarded as a moral failing and wealth regarded as a moral virtue regardless of how one got there?

I don't hate poor people. I feel sorry for them. It must be horrible to be turned into a government dependent and encouraged to have no initiative whatsoever to improve one's life.

I really don't care.

Neither will showing which politicians bear the most, false witness, for re-election purposes.

Okay, then you're talking about the list and I was talking about the criminalization.

Moving on, did you have any thoughts when NYC published the names and addresses of all their gun owners?

Okay, then you're talking about the list and I was talking about the criminalization.

Moving on, did you have any thoughts when NYC published the names and addresses of all their gun owners?

Yes. Totally irresponsible and wrong.

I don't hate poor people. I feel sorry for them. It must be horrible to be turned into a government dependent and encouraged to have no initiative whatsoever to improve one's life.

Not all poor people on assistance are like that.

Forum List

Back