Tom Brokaw apologizes after saying 'Hispanics should work harder at assimilation’

I think he was trying to say both sides need to do a better job

But I doubt today’s immigrants are any worse than immigrants of the past. A hundred years ago, immigrants flocked to Little Italy, Germantown, Chinatown where they lived with fellow immigrants.
They spoke their native tongue and kept their culture
Their children learned the language and picked up our culture
You mean the immigrants that came into the nation by legal means, right?

I'm sure Tom Brokaw was just spouting off his nativist, racist, jingoistic nonsense as all network news anchors will do. I don't know where he gets his ideas from.
Of course the immigrants of yesterday, being legally welcomed into the land, didn't have to worry about their children
having no legal status in the nation at all and therefore assimilation was much easier for them then it is today.

And of course in the past we didn't have radical leftist Hispanic rights groups demeaning the idea of assimilation
and parents were actually anxious and desirous that their children would blend into the fabric of American culture and life.
Hispanics used to have an open door to immigrate. So did other immigrants

That door has been closed

Immigrant parents used to make sure their children maintained their culture.....still do

Hispanics used to have an open door to immigrate. So did other immigrants
You know it's not the nineteenth century anymore...right?

That door has been closed
Europeans need not apply ever since fat Ted Kennedy's immigration
"reform" in the '60s.

Immigrant parents used to make sure their children maintained their culture.....still do
You are never
duplicitous or devious so I'll just believe you. :icon_rolleyes:
The goal used to be to become good Americans. Now, not so much among certain ethnic groups (Hispanics, Muslims)
The idea is to resist homogenization. That's the impression I get.

Forum List

Back