Toronto Mass Shooter Faisal Hussain Tied to ISIS

I have been using 3D printers for a few years now to do my prototypes. I can cast 3D printed parts using lost wax or lost PLA. They rock, but they are the worst way in the world to make a gun.

A 3D printed gun is basically a hand-removal-tool. It will blow up on you, guaranteed.

They don't go through metal detectors because ... firing pins, springs, and bullets must be made with metal cases primers and projectiles.

The Luty is easier to to make, is based on a proven design, the German MP40, and can be made faster (and the plans, templates, and parts lists are all on the Internet).

Not going to get through metal detectors but it will solve the melting issue regular (plastic) filament has: New filament means you can print metal on any 3D printer

I've been using metal infused PLA on my printers for years now. It looks like metal but is no structurally stronger than plastic. Remember, to work in an FDM printer, the material has to melt at around 200C. The heat of expanding gasses from a fired cartridge is around the same temp. Combined with the pressure of the expanding gas, structurally weakening the material with each shot.

This is just media hype to get us all to fear gunz.

IDK when we were just down visiting our son he had metal filament that was really close to metal strength; he had printed out some knives and they seemed very viable as weapons to me. (I'd have to ask him if he ever got them sharpened/if they held an edge, they were blunt when we saw/played with them - we were playing lawn darts with the metal filament tips too - sand though so not much of a test on that.)

I've made knives out of plastic, metal, and wood ... any one of which can have a deadly edge. Ever get a paper cut? The thing is, the weaker materials don't hold an edge as long.

That's the problem with plastic guns. They will not maintain their integrity after repeatedly being exposed to the heat and pressure of modern ammo.

If you want to 3D print metal ... there is an older, much more established, technology that will take your design from computer to finished product totally by machine. It's called CNC and it's been in industrial use since the '60s. Instead of building up layers of plastic to create an item, CNC will remove layers of almost any material to create an item.

Software-wise, the technology is virtually identical., but the machines needed to work with materials like steel are prohibitively expensive for the home user.

yeah but CNC is cost prohibitive. 3D Printers are affordable for almost anyone, which means that regulation of guns will be nigh impossible. Frankly it's only a matter of time before gun manufacturing is done at home - it'll be a hobby most likely; like beer makers today.
-------------------------------------------------------------- i think that what you say is correct , The problem will be overcome in my opinion .

Frankly it's only a matter of time before gun manufacturing is done at home - it'll be a hobby most likely; like beer makers today.

It's really, really not just a matter of time. Anyone who wants to make guns at home today can do so much more easily and safer with standard shop tools. Some of the deadliest guns in history are easier to make in home shop than a really nice coffee table. Firearms like the STEN gun and the Lewis gun were designed to be made with tools found in a turn of the (previous) century bicycle shop.

Frankly it's only a matter of time before gun manufacturing is done at home - it'll be a hobby most likely; like beer makers today.

It's really, really not just a matter of time. Anyone who wants to make guns at home today can do so much more easily and safer with standard shop tools. Some of the deadliest guns in history are easier to make in home shop than a really nice coffee table. Firearms like the STEN gun and the Lewis gun were designed to be made with tools found in a turn of the (previous) century bicycle shop.

Works for me.

I'm "forcing" my husband to forge me swords atm, maybe after that he can get into making his own guns :p

Obviously it wasn’t hard for him to get a gun because he did. What’s more, Canada hasn’t nearly the population of the US so that would explain a lesser frequency.

Um, no, the greater frequency is that we have an NRA that wants every crazy person to have a gun.. because the Founding Slave Rapists said so.
Maybe you should get on a boat and go back to North Carolina.

Wake me up when a non white kills more than a white mass shooter.

Works for me.

I'm "forcing" my husband to forge me swords atm, maybe after that he can get into making his own guns :p

In my experience, design and fabrication, or any productive hobby, is incompatible with being married. Marriage (or any serious relationship) is a time suck that steals from your ability to do anything meaningful with your life.

People I know are often amazed at the kind of things I turn out from my shop and I remind them it isn't hard. They could do the same things I do if they lived alone like me.

Works for me.

In my experience, design and fabrication, or any productive hobby, is incompatible with being married. Marriage (or any serious relationship) is a time suck that steals from your ability to do anything meaningful with your life.

People I know are often amazed at the kind of things I turn out from my shop and I remind them it isn't hard. They could do the same things I do if they lived alone like me.

hahaha Well it is true, but I just happen to have wants that coincide with my husbands hobbies so it works out pretty well for him. He wants to forge shit, I want swords. He wants to build shit, I want the house remodeled. :p

(Reality is that I convince him he wants to do the shit, but don't tell him ~giggle~)

[Q

And yet they have about one mass shooting a year.... and their gun crime rate is going up....

We have one mass shooting a week. And one where only two people die rarely makes the news in this country, that's how frequently they happen.

No, we don't have one mass shooting a week......even Mother Jones says you are stupid....

The number of mass public shootings by year....

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2015: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation

2017: 11 ( 5 according to the old standard)

2015....4 ( obama's new standard....7)

2014....2 (4)

2002 not listed so more than likely 0

1985... not listed so probably 0

1983...not listed so probably 0

Expect cricket sounds from the left
Now is not the time to politicize tragedies like this.
tumblr_os3vf6EDNE1vhh16ko1_640.jpg

Signed,

The NRA
I've always thought that was easily the stupidest argument put forth by gun advocates. And murderers do not follow murder laws...speeders do not follow the speed limit...as if any of these things is a good argument against laws....how mind numbingly stupid...

No.... that isn't the argument..... we tell you the laws you want won't stop criminals or mass shooters because they don't target criminals...they target law abiding gun owners. You want gun registration...criminals do not have to register guns, you want gun licensing, criminals can't buy, own or carry guns in the first place so they obviously ignore that law, you want universal background checks, crimnals steal their guns or get people who can pass background checks to buy their guns...

The laws you want do not stop gun criminals...all they do is target law abiding gun owners with more fees, paperwork and legal hoops to jump through, and increase the legal peril of law abiding gun owner who do not use their guns for crime.

Our gun laws, the ones we propose actually work.... if you use a gun for a crime, you go to prison for 30 years.....meanwhile, you and your buddies keep letting violent gun criminals out of jail, over and over again so they can commit murder.

Expect cricket sounds from the left
Now is not the time to politicize tragedies like this.
tumblr_os3vf6EDNE1vhh16ko1_640.jpg

Signed,

The NRA
I've always thought that was easily the stupidest argument put forth by gun advicates. And murderers do not follow murder laws...speeders do not follow the speed limit...as if any of these things is a good argument against laws....how mind numbingly stupid...
Indeed you are if you think for a minute a law will stop a determined criminal.
Spot on, professor! Therefore, no need for laws, really. Thank goodness you are here.

No.... that isn't the argument..... we tell you the laws you want won't stop criminals or mass shooters because they don't target criminals...they target law abiding gun owners. You want gun registration...criminals do not have to register guns, you want gun licensing, criminals can't buy, own or carry guns in the first place so they obviously ignore that law, you want universal background checks, crimnals steal their guns or get people who can pass background checks to buy their guns...

The laws you want do not stop gun criminals...all they do is target law abiding gun owners with more fees, paperwork and legal hoops to jump through, and increase the legal peril of law abiding gun owner who do not use their guns for crime.

Our gun laws, the ones we propose actually work.... if you use a gun for a crime, you go to prison for 30 years.....meanwhile, you and your buddies keep letting violent gun criminals out of jail, over and over again so they can commit murder.

Gun laws can punish the law abiding absent any crime
That's nonsensical. The crime is breaking the law itself. "Sir, here is your speeding ticket."

No...the speeding ticket is the penalty..... you think that a law physically stops a criminal from comitting the act.... that is why you are dumb, and your approach to gun crime doesn't work.

you make the penalty a penalty that reduces the crime... that is why 30 years for gun crime, actual gun crime, rape, robbery and murder reduces gun crime...

The things you want target law abiding people who do not use their guns for crime.

Are all examples of punishing gun owner where no crime has been committed.
Says you. I don't look at not being able to have an extended magazine as a punishment. I don't look at not being able to carry your rifle into an elementary school as a punishment.

And what about the poor,oppressed rocket launcher owners? I weep for them. :(

Extended magazines aren't what you asshats want, you want to ban the standard magazine for the most common guns so that you get to ban those guns without enacting a gun ban........

Law abiding citizens are the only ones who need magazines that hold more than 10 bullets...but since you can't keep them out of the hands of criminals, you will happily take them from the people who don't use them for crimes.

Forum List

Back