Tourists Hide Their Faces In Shame For What They're About To Do

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America

Nearly 100 animals were recently killed on a property in South Africa, shot dead in an activity so unseemly that even those who paid top dollar to participate in it couldn't bear to show their faces.

Last week, 13 wealthy European tourists descended on three farms near the rural town of Alldays, where one of the most shameful events ever conceived had been planned for their amusement — a "driven hunt." Unlike traditional hunting, in which target animals have a reasonable chance of escape, all the group had to do was aim and shoot at the terrified targets who were forced into their line of sight.

"No hunting actually took place in the practical sense of the word," Paul Oxton, founder of the Wild Heart Wildlife Foundation, told The Dodo. "There's really no sport in it."

Wooden platforms were built along corridors in the middle of the bushland for the hunters to stand on as 83 brightly-dressed event staffers did their job to make animals appear for them. These individuals, called "chasers," walked shoulder to shoulder in a kilometer-wide sweep through the surrounding area, forcing wildlife to flee in the direction of the corridor where the hunters were waiting with guns leveled.

"Any animals in the middle get shot dead," said Oxton. "They literally just stand there and take pot shots. There is no fair chase whatsoever. It's a completely different way of killing animals. It's highly unethical. "

An estimated 98 animals were killed using this method, including baboons, antelope and warthogs. The hunters were not selective, but instead seemed to fire at any creature big or small. Critics have dubbed the incident a "massacre."

More Pictures: Tourists Hide Their Faces In Shame For What They're About To Do

Does anyone consider this hunting? I sure don't. It makes me sick.

musta been legal ehh . --------- GUESS that there may be overpopulation . Hunters aren't hiding out of shame . Probably hiding as they don't want to be identified by lefty weirdo animal wackos on the street somewhere in city or town . Also , they don't want their private property destroyed if they are identified . I wouldn't call it hunting for sport either . Most likely the meat was used to feed some villagers though .

Nearly 100 animals were recently killed on a property in South Africa, shot dead in an activity so unseemly that even those who paid top dollar to participate in it couldn't bear to show their faces.

Last week, 13 wealthy European tourists descended on three farms near the rural town of Alldays, where one of the most shameful events ever conceived had been planned for their amusement — a "driven hunt." Unlike traditional hunting, in which target animals have a reasonable chance of escape, all the group had to do was aim and shoot at the terrified targets who were forced into their line of sight.

"No hunting actually took place in the practical sense of the word," Paul Oxton, founder of the Wild Heart Wildlife Foundation, told The Dodo. "There's really no sport in it."

Wooden platforms were built along corridors in the middle of the bushland for the hunters to stand on as 83 brightly-dressed event staffers did their job to make animals appear for them. These individuals, called "chasers," walked shoulder to shoulder in a kilometer-wide sweep through the surrounding area, forcing wildlife to flee in the direction of the corridor where the hunters were waiting with guns leveled.

"Any animals in the middle get shot dead," said Oxton. "They literally just stand there and take pot shots. There is no fair chase whatsoever. It's a completely different way of killing animals. It's highly unethical. "

An estimated 98 animals were killed using this method, including baboons, antelope and warthogs. The hunters were not selective, but instead seemed to fire at any creature big or small. Critics have dubbed the incident a "massacre."

They do that in Texas a lot.....tho occasionally they accidently shoot each other (see VP Cheney).

This is disgusting. If an Islamic radical group captured those "tourists"....herded them....and gunned them down....I can honestly say it would be karma.

I don't really see what's ethical about 'fair chase' hunting or shooting. It's not as if the quarry is armed or has issued invitations.

Oh, in the interest of fuller disclosure I should say that I've shot a lot of animals, easily in the thousands if rabbit and possum are counted.

I just don't get it. These big game hunters say they love nature and the animals....and kill it. Why not photograph it? What's the joy of seeing it die?

My grandfather raised my brothers and I in part with deer meat that he hunted. Poor family. One .308 bullet cost $1 and fed a family for a week. But these trophy hunters??? Just sick.

Rich people usually don't engage in fair-chase hunting. They use their money to stack the deck in their favor. It's not hunting - it's just killing.

They do that in Texas a lot.....tho occasionally they accidently shoot each other (see VP Cheney).

You're so full of shit.

I don't really see what's ethical about 'fair chase' hunting or shooting. It's not as if the quarry is armed or has issued invitations.

Oh, in the interest of fuller disclosure I should say that I've shot a lot of animals, easily in the thousands if rabbit and possum are counted.

Possums? Do you eat 'em?

No tree rats?

Rabbit season starts in 16 days...and my freezer is empty.

Possums? Do you eat 'em?

No tree rats?

Rabbit season starts in 16 days...and my freezer is empty.

Do you hunt rabbits with dogs?

So what?
So what? Because I have an opinion on the event.
Your opinion is this makes you sick.
So what?
Doesn't it make you sick? Do you approve of what they did?
Why does it matter to anyone that this sickens you?
How is that compelling in any way?
Do you have a point? Does the fact that this sickens you support that point?

So what?
So what?

Apparently you approve of senseless animal slaughter.

So what?
Apparently you approve of senseless animal slaughter.
Apparently you think your outrage and illness have some sort of meaning to the rest of us.

Forum List

Back