Toyota, Yamaha working on hydrogen-burning V8 engine

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
Gee, I would have thought such world-shattering big news as this would have already been posted about by Old Rocks! Talk about a kick in the teeth, Toyota and Yamaha are on the verge of releasing a new, simple, clean, zero-emission ICE engine that does away with the need for EVs, big battery packs and night-long recharging stations and whole-new revamped trillion-dollar electric grids! :shock:

Carbon-neutral internal combustion engine could skip electrification.

The two companies are collaborating on a hydrogen-fueled 5.0-liter V8 motor that could keep the internal combustion engine alive for decades to come. :laugh2:

Sure must suck to be so committed to a failed battery technology before it even much got off the ground.
giggle.gif

Gee, I would have thought such world-shattering big news as this would have already been posted about by Old Rocks! Talk about a kick in the teeth, Toyota and Yamaha are on the verge of releasing a new, simple, clean, zero-emission ICE engine that does away with the need for EVs, big battery packs and night-long recharging stations and whole-new revamped trillion-dollar electric grids! :shock:

The two companies are collaborating on a hydrogen-fueled 5.0-liter V8 motor that could keep the internal combustion engine alive for decades to come. :laugh2:

Sure must suck to be so committed to a failed battery technology before it even much got off the ground. View attachment 605637
gasoline or diesel?

Sure must suck to be so committed to a failed battery technology before it even much got off the ground. View attachment 605637
I am wondering what humanity will be like in another ten thousand years and my guess not here in the Universe because we used up all our resources and perished…

Talk about a solution in search of a problem.

If you want to move away from gasoline, use nat gas. Hydrogen is just stupid.

Cummins already has one.

Hydrogen electrolysis from water requires far more energy to produce than it yields as a motor fuel. The energy density of hydrogen is in the basement when compared to anything else.

I am wondering what humanity will be like in another ten thousand years and my guess not here in the Universe because we used up all our resources and perished…
Well, if mankind can survive at all the historical tendency to self-exterminate or to destroy and totally consumer his environment well enough to survive another 10,000 years Bruce, I'm sure the technology in just 500 years, even 100 years will look like PFM to us knuckle-dragging stone age people.

I think the first year of new discoveries by Webb space telescope will soon illustrate that.

What could possibly go wrong?

View attachment 605648

Glickenhouse is working on a H fuelcell race car to take on the Baja 1000 this year. Old Rocks hero Elon said that his cybertruck was ready for the Baja while saying hydrogen was a loser.

Glickenhouse challenged him to a race.

Elon went silent, Glickenhouse is pushing forward. They don't have a plan to win, they are using this as a technology test bed. Interestingly enough, SO CAL Gas has approached Glickenhouse to provide H powered trucks for their fleet.

Should be interesting.

Hydrogen electrolysis from water requires far more energy to produce than it yields as a motor fuel. The energy density of hydrogen is in the basement when compared to anything else.

What the fuck are you blabbering about. The energy density of hydrogen is three times that of gasoline you ignorant clod.

Israel has been producing Hydrogen from algae for about a decade now. Certain species of algae will produce H2 instead of 02 under the right conditions.

Cummins already has one.

And Cummins says:

"Vehicles with hydrogen internal combustion engines can operate without any CO2 emissions coming from the hydrogen fuel, direct or indirect. Additionally, hydrogen fuels do not release any particulate matter, carbon monoxide, or volatile organic compounds. In the United States, converting medium and heavy-duty trucks to clean hydrogen would eliminate about a quarter of all greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector."

Well there you have it. That just flushed the entire argument for full head-on mad committal to EV technology moot.

And Cummins says:

"Vehicles with hydrogen internal combustion engines can operate without any CO2 emissions coming from the hydrogen fuel, direct or indirect. Additionally, hydrogen fuels do not release any particulate matter, carbon monoxide, or volatile organic compounds. In the United States, converting medium and heavy-duty trucks to clean hydrogen would eliminate about a quarter of all greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector."

Well there you have it. That just flushed the entire argument for full head-on mad committal to EV technology moot.

Yup.

A surprising twist as we already know that hydrogen is not a viable alternative because of the cost and impact of producing it.

It could attract a fringe that has bad feelings for electric.

OH, and fwiw, China has been doing this for years and is way ahead of the competition.

What the fuck are you blabbering about. The energy density of hydrogen is three times that of gasoline you ignorant clod.

West 1, Clod 0.

The energy in 2.2 pounds (1 kilogram) of hydrogen gas is about the same as the energy in 1 gallon (6.2 pounds, 2.8 kilograms) of gasoline.

See 8 paragraphs down:

You clowns should educate yourself on some of the facts that make hydrogen a non-green alternative before your knees jerk and you fall down laughing.

Forum List

Back