"Trauma-Informed Classrooms"

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
The idea behind "trauma-informed" is good. But in 30 years as a teacher I have learned that we never take a "good idea" and tuck it in our tool box. No, we let it overtake everything until it is a runaway train until, 5 or 10 or 15 years later, we say--hey, that was a disaster, huh? (See: Lucy Calkins, reading)

Right.

So in "trauma-informed learning" no child WANTS to be naughty. And "all behavior is communication". And rules are just a loose framework and now our schools look like very poorly run, ill-staffed Day Treatment Centers. I have never seen staff so close to the breaking point nor students so out of control. I am talking students running into the street. Destroying classrooms. Being physically violent with each other and adults.

It's not working. It's a disaster, in fact. And I'm not even convinced it's good for traumatized children, who above all probably need a calm, orderly, non-chaotic environment where expectations and consequences are clear.

To the extent that "Trauma-informed" made previously uncaring teachers a little more sensitive--good. To the extent it made our classrooms chaotic environments free of expectations and consequences--terrible.

What Is a Trauma-Informed Classroom?

The older, more traditional methods of classroom management focused on rules. They were teacher-centered methods that punished students immediately for not following the rules, assuming that kids who didn’t follow those rules were just plain naughty.

A trauma-informed classroom recognizes that when a child misbehaves or acts out in class or just simply won’t work, their behavior may have nothing to do with being naughty. In fact, their behavior may have nothing to do with the teacher or the classroom at all.

A trauma-informed classroom recognizes that kids have gone through some serious events in their lives. Not only do they carry the memory of those events with them, but their brains are different because of this trauma.

The idea behind "trauma-informed" is good. But in 30 years as a teacher I have learned that we never take a "good idea" and tuck it in our tool box. No, we let it overtake everything until it is a runaway train until, 5 or 10 or 15 years later, we say--hey, that was a disaster, huh? (See: Lucy Calkins, reading)

Right.

So in "trauma-informed learning" no child WANTS to be naughty. And "all behavior is communication". And rules are just a loose framework and now our schools look like very poorly run, ill-staffed Day Treatment Centers. I have never seen staff so close to the breaking point nor students so out of control. I am talking students running into the street. Destroying classrooms. Being physically violent with each other and adults.

It's not working. It's a disaster, in fact. And I'm not even convinced it's good for traumatized children, who above all probably need a calm, orderly, non-chaotic environment where expectations and consequences are clear.

To the extent that "Trauma-informed" made previously uncaring teachers a little more sensitive--good. To the extent it made our classrooms chaotic environments free of expectations and consequences--terrible.

What Is a Trauma-Informed Classroom?

The older, more traditional methods of classroom management focused on rules. They were teacher-centered methods that punished students immediately for not following the rules, assuming that kids who didn’t follow those rules were just plain naughty.

A trauma-informed classroom recognizes that when a child misbehaves or acts out in class or just simply won’t work, their behavior may have nothing to do with being naughty. In fact, their behavior may have nothing to do with the teacher or the classroom at all.

A trauma-informed classroom recognizes that kids have gone through some serious events in their lives. Not only do they carry the memory of those events with them, but their brains are different because of this trauma.

Ah. That's what must have created the "attorney" who firebombed a police car and blamed "unresolved trauma" when in came time to play-act being an adult in court.

Ah. That's what must have created the "attorney" who firebombed a police car and blamed "unresolved trauma" when in came time to play-act being an adult in court.

Without a doubt. Everyone has been traumatized and therefore has PTSD.

A trauma-informed classroom recognizes that when a child misbehaves or acts out in class or just simply won’t work, their behavior may have nothing to do with being naughty.
I've read this 4-5 times Sue

I guess i just don't get it.....

~S~

Without a doubt. Everyone has been traumatized and therefore has PTSD.
The difference being that mature, moral people don't use their PTSD as an excuse for being a violent asshole. That right is reserved for demscum juveniles.

I've read this 4-5 times Sue

I guess i just don't get it.....

~S~

The idea is that a child who is truly traumatized, when confronted or challenged or whatever--their brain shuts down. They go into fight or flight. The "reptilian brain" takes over and they are no longer able to reason through best choices or courses of action.

Okay, you can see how if a child truly experiences violence at home, this is probably true.

The problem is the ed system doesn't use this like a scalpel, but like a wrecking ball. So now NO child is "naughty". NO child "means" to misbehave. So now NO child is really punished for choosing to misbehave because NO child really chooses it--when clearly, some children do. Probably most do.

The difference being that mature, moral people don't use their PTSD as an excuse for being a violent asshole. That right is reserved for demscum juveniles.

Oh agree 100%. It's ridiculous. Next thing we will have people being pulled over for speeding, telling the cop, "I can't help it, I have PTSD from getting my feelings hurt in second grade."

That is only a SLIGHT exaggeration.

Oh agree 100%. It's ridiculous. Next thing we will have people being pulled over for speeding, telling the cop, "I can't help it, I have PTSD from getting my feelings hurt in second grade."

That is only a SLIGHT exaggeration.
Looking at the way the dem local governments are hamstringing their law enforcement, the exaggeration gets narrower just about every day.

The idea is that a child who is truly traumatized, when confronted or challenged or whatever--their brain shuts down. They go into fight or flight. The "reptilian brain" takes over and they are no longer able to reason through best choices or courses of action.

Okay, you can see how if a child truly experiences violence at home, this is probably true.

The problem is the ed system doesn't use this like a scalpel, but like a wrecking ball. So now NO child is "naughty". NO child "means" to misbehave. So now NO child is really punished for choosing to misbehave because NO child really chooses it--when clearly, some children do. Probably most do.
So your job is now taking any personal responsibility from the child Sue?

I'd find that mighty hard to 'teach' , especially given teaching is a hard job already

So i would imagine some of this involves the parents?

Their response(s) must be interesting.....

~S~

So your job is now taking any personal responsibility from the child Sue?

I'd find that mighty hard to 'teach' , especially given teaching is a hard job already

So i would imagine some of this involves the parents?

Their response(s) must be interesting.....

~S~

I am not making this up:

When WE get hit, kicked, spat at, had things thrown at us, WE are asked what WE did wrong. I have never in my 30 years seen an environment so toxic. We had an adult walk out of the school in the middle of the day last week. Just walk out, after being physically assaulted.

Outside of schools people are obsessing about CRT and indoctrination.

Inside of schools, we are watching EVERYONE be traumatized by "trauma informed learning". I will tell you that only in education would something so stupid go on.

i'm startin' to wish you were Sue......

~S~

The saddest thing is, 10-15 years ago, we had parent volunteers in very regularly. This would not be going on--parents would not put up with it. And they would be correct.

Now, we might have two total parents in the building at any given time. Our schools are locked down like military operations; parents have to be fingerprinted and background checked to read to kids. That's not necessarily bad, but it keeps us insular. Okay, that is bad, actually.

The saddest thing is, 10-15 years ago, we had parent volunteers in very regularly. This would not be going on--parents would not put up with it. And they would be correct.

Now, we might have two total parents in the building at any given time. Our schools are locked down like military operations; parents have to be fingerprinted and background checked to read to kids. That's not necessarily bad, but it keeps us insular. Okay, that is bad, actually.
sounds more & more like some penal system Sue.......~S~

Trauma informed classrooms doesn't mean no rules, expectations, or consequences.

Forum List

Back