Trayvon Martin And The Right To Be Left Alone...

Interesting take from Mark Judge.

I’ve never been able to get over the crucial minutes of George Zimmerman’s encounter with Trayvon Martin. I’m not talking about the initial struggle, or even the fatal shooting. That’s where most of the media coverage has been, and for good reason. A life has been lost and it’s important to figure out exactly what happened.

I just have never been able to answer a basic question: Why was Zimmerman bothering Martin to begin with?

For me, the Trayvon Martin case is about something that is fundamental to America: the ability to go out and take a walk or pick up some junk food without being hassled. I’m aware that “hassle” is a term straight out of 1973, and maybe that’s deliberate. When I was growing up in Maryland in the 1970s, my mom had a term for people in the neighborhood who made it their job to mind everything that went on there: the sidewalk superintendent.

Sidewalk superintendents were mostly decent people just trying to protect the neighborhood. Bill Bennett once noted that in the old days the neighborhood watch consisted of mothers on their front porches who could spring into action when they saw something amiss. Such people are an important part of creating a safe and thriving community. Indeed, George Zimmerman had foiled at least one robbery in Twin Lakes, the crime-ridden complex in Florida where the shooting took place.

Trayvon Martin was not one of these; he was a teenage kid. But he was exercising his right to take a nocturnal sojourn and enter a quiet space where the world did not intrude. It set my conservative (even libertarian-leaning) alarm off when I heard the 911 tape where Zimmerman tells police that Trayvon Martin looks like he “is up to no good.” It was just too reminiscent of some sidewalk superintendents I knew as a kid. They were the guys who appeared the second you lit some firecrackers or killed a tick with a magnifying glass...

Read more: Trayvon Martin | Trayvon Martin and the right to be left alone | The Daily Caller
sounds to me like the race baiting commy's are starting to realize that Martin attacked Zimmerman !!

Just an observation;
Neighbourhood Watch obviously means something very different here.
It is just what it says...watching.
If you observe anything that causes you concern then you call the Police...you have no extra rights to confront anyone and certainly no right to use force.

One guy was guarding his neighborhood from criminals.
The other guy was supposed to be in school, was on suspension #5 from school, had been caught with stolen jewelry at school with a burglary tool and was not being supervised during his school suspension which was the agreement in the terms of his school suspension.
The Martins had NO control over their son. That is a fact. Maybe that had nothing to do with this incident but if they would have controlled their son and disciplined him for the suspensions instead of allowing him to roam around the neighborhood where his father lived he would be alive today.
The Martin parents share in this tragedy. Maybe just slightly but they were part of Trayvon's problems.

Just an observation;
Neighbourhood Watch obviously means something very different here.
It is just what it says...watching.
If you observe anything that causes you concern then you call the Police...you have no extra rights to confront anyone and certainly no right to use force.

Since you were there who confronted who first and who threw the first punch?
Who used force first?

Do you have a link to the witness who claims Zimmerman on top at the time of the shooting? I haven't been able to find one.

He is referring to a crazy lady who admits she does not know who was on top. She contradicts her own statements. She said the guy in white was on top. Then she says she feels the one who walked away was on top but it was moments after the shooting when she looked. Zimmerman would have had to shoot Martin in the back for her story to make any sense. Zimmerman was likely checking for a pulse afterwords & she heard 2 doors slamming as people ran. She said she heard 2 gunshots but did not see muzzle flash. She says she could not see very well. Judging by her voice I believe she is the wacko who had the nervous breakdown while on the phone with 911. A jury will not take her nonsense seriously. Her story changes every time she is interviewed. Here is one interview below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYf2xTvJpzU"]Trayvon Martin Witness speaks[/ame]

Straight out of a Florida Neighborhood Watch Book.
Suspicious Activities Include:

- A person with seemingly no purpose, wandering around or loitering in the neighborhood.

- A person looking into a neighbor's windows and/or parked cars, moving from door to door.

How to Report Suspicious Activity:

- Immediately report any/all suspicious persons, vehicles, and activity to the Sheriff's Office non emergency dispatch.

- Be specific when describing any suspects (race, sex, age, height, weight, eye/hair color, facial hair, tattoos and articles of clothing worn.)

And from the actual Sanford Police Department Neighborhood Watch Handbook

nw.jpg

- A person with seemingly no purpose, wandering around or loitering in the neighborhood.

- A person looking into a neighbor's windows and/or parked cars, moving from door to door.

- Immediately report any/all suspicious persons, vehicles, and activity to the Sheriff's Office non emergency dispatch.

- Be specific when describing any suspects (race, sex, age, height, weight, eye/hair color, facial hair, tattoos and articles of clothing worn.)

Obviously a racist handbook too. The guy never had a chance.

Obviously a racist handbook too. The guy never had a chance.
Where the fuck is this you guys have to bring up race all the time?

Can you prove he intentionally became physically involved ?

When he removed himself from the truck and began to follow him on foot, he did just that.

He should have stayed in the truck. Period.

Why? Once Trayvon turned off the street and went between the buildings--buildings in which his father wasn't--is it unreasonable that somebody who thought he was acting suspiciously would not choose to keep him in sight knowing the police would be there shortly? And it was in that area that the dispatcher advised Zimmerman that he did not need to follow Martin and according to Zimmerman he then broke off pursuit at that point and was returning to his truck.

The Police report is consistent with Zimmerman's version.

Maybe it was all a lie. Maybe it was the truth. We are not in a position to know.

I think Dilloduck is being facetious here and pulling your leg a bit. At least I interpreted his observations as sarcasm. :)

I think Dilloduck is being facetious here and pulling your leg a bit. At least I interpreted his observations as sarcasm. :)

The handbook tells the people to report the race of the suspicious people when reporting to the police.

Well, is not a person's race pretty important when describing a person to the police? To leave that element out would be as dumb as not identifying the one white guy committing a crime in an all black neighborhood. You're not going to mention that the guy the police should be looking for is white?

Racism is discriminating against people and denying their rights because of their skin color, ethnicity, or obvious race. It certainly is not noting that a person is white, black, Asian, Native American any more than it is observing that a person is red headed or hooded or has multiple tats or whatever.

Forum List

Back