Trump: 35% tariff on goods from companies that ship jobs overseas. Bravo!

Just some info on TARIFFS Anton . --- Tariffs in United States history - Wikipedia --- I think that TARIFFS were used to collect all Federal Government monies before the 1913 income tax . Maybe the TRUMP is going back to the ways of raising monies the way that the Founders of the USA intended Anton . Personally I think the Tariff idea is good and would steer people to goods made in the USA rather than goods made in 'china' and 'mexico ' Anton .
It would be good if Americans showed some patriotism and insisted on buying Union Made American products. Unfortunately, by starting a trade war, American workers will see less demand for American exports which are subject to tariffs.
-------------------------------- no trade war has been started , possible trade war is speculation but may happen I suppose but I am not impressed Eloy ?? My attitude if Feck those fureigners , all of them !! Anyway , a possible trade war is something that the USA would PROBABLY win according to financial guy / expert Charles Paine [sp] Eloy .
Nobody wins in a trade war.

But outsiders are going to win any war if you have no defenses. What, you think China is not engaged in a trade war?
China is continually extending its influence around the Far East and Africa. The Chinese would like to see the Americans erect a tariff barrier so that it can get into markets instead of the Americans.

TRUMPS my guy , love him on all things and Carrier was first . As far as tariffs go , heck yeah . I'm sick of seeing chinese and Mexican junk selling in Walmart and making china wealthy.

Capitalism sucks, doesn't it?

I am not concerned about this SPECULATION of a trade war . I suspect that what Trump is doing is scaring the enemy foreigners that wants what the USA has Eloy !!
Believe it or not; the rest of the world is not afraid of the USA.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- and if that's true , well then its time to scare you fureigners Eloy !!
I would be more afraid of Trump if I lived in the USA.

[]
China is continually extending its influence around the Far East and Africa. The Chinese would like to see the Americans erect a tariff barrier so that it can get into markets instead of the Americans.

I'm not sure you grasp how import tariffs work. :eusa_whistle:

What about companies that have already shipped jobs out of the country? Will they get the tariff too? Is this how his companies and family companies get around the tariff? They are ALREADY made outside the country?

Good question. I like to know that also.
Trump had a total of 144 businesses in 25 countries. Wondering if they get high tariff.
If you apply high tariffs on those products means it will be too costly for American consumers. It's as simple as that.

Just some info on TARIFFS Anton . --- Tariffs in United States history - Wikipedia --- I think that TARIFFS were used to collect all Federal Government monies before the 1913 income tax . Maybe the TRUMP is going back to the ways of raising monies the way that the Founders of the USA intended Anton . Personally I think the Tariff idea is good and would steer people to goods made in the USA rather than goods made in 'china' and 'mexico ' Anton .
It would be good if Americans showed some patriotism and insisted on buying Union Made American products. Unfortunately, by starting a trade war, American workers will see less demand for American exports which are subject to tariffs.
-------------------------------- no trade war has been started , possible trade war is speculation but may happen I suppose but I am not impressed Eloy ?? My attitude if Feck those fureigners , all of them !! Anyway , a possible trade war is something that the USA would PROBABLY win according to financial guy / expert Charles Paine [sp] Eloy .

But outsiders are going to win any war if you have no defenses. What, you think China is not engaged in a trade war?

Because obama ran away the past 8 years...

Just a question how are you going to defend yourself from Russi if they decided to invade?

Trump: 35 Percent Tariff for Companies That Ship Jobs Overseas

==============================================================
!

Paul Ryan, McCarthy and other GOP leaders disagree with Trump. Very interesting how will all these pan out with Trump administration.

Trump's tariff plan hits a hurdle: Congressional Republicans

GOP Not Thrilled With Trump's Plan To Keep Jobs In The US

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald Trump's proposal to impose high import tariffs on companies that move operations outside the United States is going to be a tough sell within his own party.

Congressional Republicans — free-market supporters who have long said that government should not pick winners and losers — made clear that they disagreed with Trump’s proposal, even if they agreed with the sentiment of keeping jobs in the country. Instead, they advocated for tax reform, specifically lowering the corporate tax rate and the tax on repatriation, as an incentive to stay.

“You can't just establish tariffs at will,” said Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. “There has to be a reason."

Hatch said Republicans might support tariffs in some “isolated cases,” but not as a blanket policy. “He just sent that warning shot and it's got some businesses thinking twice before they leave,” he said of Trump’s tweet. “But give us a chance to change the tax laws, so there's much more economic incentive to stay here. We know how to do that.”

It's about time. NAFTA was a mistake that has cost our country dearly. We need to reverse the mistakes of the free traders of the GOP, and sadly, some Democrats too. They've done so much damage. Scrapping TPP is a great start, but going after existing, job-killing trade "deals" is the next step. Sadly, my preferred candidate, Hillary Clinton, had to be dragged kicking and screaming to finally denounce these dubious deals. I'm glad that Trump is speaking out against these "deals". They are rip offs. I didn't vote for him, but I support him on this big time.

Too bad he started off with the stupid Carrier deal. Even the vapid brained Sarah Pallin criticized it. Instead of telling Carrier that they will be heavily taxed for all their imports because NAFTA ain't gonna be law when they complete their Mexican factory, he cuts their taxes by millions of dollars in exchange for just half of the jobs staying in the US. Low Energy! Sad!
Or he will give them massive tax breaks if they only send half their jobs overseas. Which is what the Republicans were doing in the first place.

Trump can't just will tariffs. Show me Paul Ryan say he will tariff. Democrats will go along with that.
HUH?
He didn't tariff carrier, did he? No.

Is Paul Ryan on board with tariffs? No. Why don't you know this?
Trump threatened to place tariffs and Republican Paul Ryan will do as he is told
Nope. Trump's threat to put tariffs on Chinese imports is just part of his posturing prior to asking for negotiations. It's not going to happen. If Trump actually pursued it, Ryan would block it because it would push the country into an economic slowdown at best or a full blown recession at worst and that would likely mean losing the House in the midterm.

It's about time. NAFTA was a mistake that has cost our country dearly. We need to reverse the mistakes of the free traders of the GOP, and sadly, some Democrats too. They've done so much damage. Scrapping TPP is a great start, but going after existing, job-killing trade "deals" is the next step. Sadly, my preferred candidate, Hillary Clinton, had to be dragged kicking and screaming to finally denounce these dubious deals. I'm glad that Trump is speaking out against these "deals". They are rip offs. I didn't vote for him, but I support him on this big time.

Too bad he started off with the stupid Carrier deal. Even the vapid brained Sarah Pallin criticized it. Instead of telling Carrier that they will be heavily taxed for all their imports because NAFTA ain't gonna be law when they complete their Mexican factory, he cuts their taxes by millions of dollars in exchange for just half of the jobs staying in the US. Low Energy! Sad!
Or he will give them massive tax breaks if they only send half their jobs overseas. Which is what the Republicans were doing in the first place.

Trump can't just will tariffs. Show me Paul Ryan say he will tariff. Democrats will go along with that.
HUH?

Trump threatened to place tariffs and Republican Paul Ryan will do as he is told
Nope. Trump's threat to put tariffs on Chinese imports is just part of his posturing prior to asking for negotiations. It's not going to happen. If Trump actually pursued it, Ryan would block it because it would push the country into an economic slowdown at best or a full blown recession at worst and that would likely mean losing the House in the midterm.

Well what about tariff any companies that haven't already left if they leave? Why can't we do that? And give them special tax breaks for manufacturing inside America. Don't punish the importers but reward the ones who manufacture here.

I've always said don't punish people who don't vote but we should give $100 tax break on your taxes every 2 years if you vote.

Just a question how are you going to defend yourself from Russi if they decided to invade?

With weapons

China will continue to expand their influence globally whoever is our president.
If we have trade wars ........ over all losers are the consumers hit with higher prices.
If we make products in US which guarantee higher prices compared to other countries. We cannot sell our products over seas.
Winner will be China and S. Korea.

If you want who is responsible for all these fiasco? As Flopper mentioned one time.................. Look yourself in the mirror.

China will continue to expand their influence globally whoever is our president.
If we have trade wars ........ over all losers are the consumers hit with higher prices.
If we make products in US which guarantee higher prices compared to other countries. We cannot sell our products over seas.
Winner will be China and S. Korea.

If you want who is responsible for all these fiasco? As Flopper mentioned one time.................. Look yourself in the mirror.

We are talking two different things

I do not anticipate Russia invading any European Union country anytime soon.
If Trump weakens the NATO as he threatened to do, it is conceivable that Russia will take the Baltic states of Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia.

I do not anticipate Russia invading any European Union country anytime soon.
If Trump weakens the NATO as he threatened to do, it is conceivable that Russia will take the Baltic states of Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia.

I hope he takes your country..not a damn thing you can do about it unless you cry for our help.

Some fun facts about the history of tariffs as it relates to righty politics:

The GOP under Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush abandoned the protectionist ideology, and came out against quotas and in favor of the GATT/WTO policy of minimal economic barriers to global trade. Free trade with Canada came about as a result of the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement of 1987, which led in 1994 to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). It was based on Reagan's plan to enlarge the scope of the market for American firms to include Canada and Mexico. President Bill Clinton, with strong Republican support in 1993, pushed NAFTA through Congress over the vehement objection of labor unions.

Tariffs in United States history - Wikipedia

It's funny watching conservatives reject Reagan policies while chanting "lets make America great again, like Reagan did"
In order to hold on to their base, Republicans are abandoning unpopular conservative positions which in this case happens to be free trade. It's ironic for the Right to take this position because tariffs are one of the most heavy handed inferences with the free market. In the 20th century, it was Democrats that supported such actions to protect failing US industries.

HUH?

Ryan has a congressional record of doing nothing. Trump will be giving the orders and if Ryan changes character and attempts to disagree with Trump, he will be blown away. They are both Republicans, you know and Trump expect no opposition from his own party.

HUH?

Ryan has a congressional record of doing nothing. Trump will be giving the orders and if Ryan changes character and attempts to disagree with Trump, he will be blown away. They are both Republicans, you know and Trump expect no opposition from his own party.
There will be fights between Trump and Ryan. It would be interesting to see Trump campaigning against Republicans in the next midterm.

!

Paul Ryan, McCarthy and other GOP leaders disagree with Trump. Very interesting how will all these pan out with Trump administration.

Trump's tariff plan hits a hurdle: Congressional Republicans

GOP Not Thrilled With Trump's Plan To Keep Jobs In The US

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald Trump's proposal to impose high import tariffs on companies that move operations outside the United States is going to be a tough sell within his own party.

Congressional Republicans — free-market supporters who have long said that government should not pick winners and losers — made clear that they disagreed with Trump’s proposal, even if they agreed with the sentiment of keeping jobs in the country. Instead, they advocated for tax reform, specifically lowering the corporate tax rate and the tax on repatriation, as an incentive to stay.

“You can't just establish tariffs at will,” said Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. “There has to be a reason."

Hatch said Republicans might support tariffs in some “isolated cases,” but not as a blanket policy. “He just sent that warning shot and it's got some businesses thinking twice before they leave,” he said of Trump’s tweet. “But give us a chance to change the tax laws, so there's much more economic incentive to stay here. We know how to do that.”
Typically, a new administration has about a 60 day honeymoon with congress and the media. In Trump's case, it's likely to be half of that. Congress, the media, our allies, and the public want see the new president's actions, not his rhetoric.

Forum List

Back