Trump advocates stop & frisk to check for guns

Londoner

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2010
On a FOX News interview Trump was asked how to deal with the unrest in our inner cities.

He suggested that we give government officials (federal and state law enforcement) the right to stop and frisk citizens, and check for illegally possessed guns.

Here is the problem. Once you give government the power to do something (anything), you increase the likelihood of abuse. By eroding the legal barriers that protect citizens from random gun searches, you make it more likely that a rogue State Actor will use that power to target gun owners in general - not just people profiled as thugs. Even worse: the government could use this newfound power to target political dissidents, in hopes of entrapping and jailing people who oppose the policies of the executive. This is what happened in the Soviet Union where they broke down all the barriers that prevented the state from detaining and jailing any citizen it felt undesirable.

This is why Trump is potentially dangerous. He doesn't understand the unintended consequences of giving government more power.

Question: how do YOU feel about giving the government the power to perform random search & frisk for guns? What do you think about having this law in place when a democrat is in office?

Why sugar-coat it? The police (I assume we're talking about American ones) are incapable of performing a 'stop & frisk' without pulling the trigger.

Why sugar-coat it? The police (I assume we're talking about American ones) are incapable of performing a 'stop & frisk' without pulling the trigger.

It worked in New York City, and you lie about pulling the trigger.

It only worked in the USSR and you lie about New York City.

You are eat up with the dumbass if you say stop and frisk didn't work in NYC.

It was ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Therefore, it does not work.

Crime has gone down at similar rates in cities without a fucking unconstitutional practice.

Think.

Yes. Crime went down when we started keeping criminals in prison.

I'm shocked pro-gun Trump supporters would agree to let cops frisk without probable cause and Democrats oppose it. That would be such a great tool for the State to further restrict gun rights for honest citizens. The assumption the cops are on our side on protecting ourselves is flagrantly wrong

it works just the same, only now we have more reasons. it's the best possible solution. in the end we are just helping the criminals. if they don't like it then don't have a gun or drugs or anything illegal. just like the airport.

it works just the same, only now we have more reasons. it's the best possible solution. in the end we are just helping the criminals. if they don't like it then don't have a gun or drugs or anything illegal. just like the airport. dogs too.
were talking about hot zone management.

it works just the same, only now we have more reasons. it's the best possible solution. in the end we are just helping the criminals. if they don't like it then don't have a gun or drugs or anything illegal. just like the airport.

Nope - you're wrong!
The 4th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States protects us against illegal search & seizure/Stop & Frisk and-----and not only is Stop & Frisk illegal, Stop & Frisk is ineffective and a waste of time, resources and yours and my tax dollars... Trump's a constitutional idiot.

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/ending-new-yorks-stop-and-frisk-did-not-increase-crime

Figure 2: Stops vs. Crime in NYC (2006-2015)

Figure%202%20Stop%20%26%20Frisk.jpg

Source: NYCLU Stop-and-Frisk data and NYC Compstat.

Statistically, no relationship between stop-and-frisk and crime seems apparent. New York remains safer than it was 5, 10, or 25 years ago. As analysis by the Brennan Center has shown, a part of this was the introduction of CompStat, which allowed police to consult data when making decisions about where and how to respond to crime.

Listening to the data has made New Yorkers safer, and it’s important to listen again. It says loud and clear: ending stop-and-frisk didn’t cause a crime wave in the city.

..... Crime went down when we started keeping criminals in prison.
Since you've been keeping criminals in prison? I'm going to take a wild guess here, and say that crime has actually gone up since 1776 ..... despite the prisons.

It only worked in the USSR and you lie about New York City.

You are eat up with the dumbass if you say stop and frisk didn't work in NYC.

It was ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Therefore, it does not work.

Crime has gone down at similar rates in cities without a fucking unconstitutional practice.

Think.
It worked and it is unconstitutional. Dumb for Trump to propose and it will never pass.

..... if they don't like it then don't have a gun or drugs or anything illegal. ... .
I never know whether to laugh or cry when I hear people say such senseless things as this. Have you ever actually left your house and had a look around to see how other people are forced to live?

You're quite the comedian there
The clown who made that ridiculous statement about criminals in prison is calling me a comedian.
slap-floor-laughing.gif

You know you're on Google, you can cure your ignorance on your own now that we're in the Internet age. What I said is not in contention, it's well known in the US.

I do like your view though that OMG, people in prison aren't on the street committing crimes! OMG, no way!

Forum List

Back