Trump cancelled subsidies for one reason then agrees to sign extension

Thanks to the unparalleled greatness of Bleipriester you now get this news in the jungle of partisan hate news. Neither Democrats nor Republicans are eager to let you in on that Trump agreed to continue government funding of ACA for "one or two years". The agreement also includes more freedoms for federal states. The thingy has yet to pass the Congress.

No the most funny part was him saying one minute Obamacare is dead, and that he thinks they have the votes to pass the Heller plan... and then just minutes later says that he supports the Alexander-Murray plan and that it should stabilize Obamacare for the next 2 years...

Most insurers filed two sets of rates with anticipation of trump cutting the cost share reductions and the second set of rates were jacked up prices, not just jacked up but silver plans with an aptc are completely unfordable to anyone. Now the rates have been released by most companies and approved by their respective state insurance offices, I doubt they can go back to the lower set of rates at this late of a date. So in this instance I think trump knew exactly what he was doing, drop the csr's then congress agrees to fund them and you will still see high rates and trump will blame anyone but himself.

No the most funny part was him saying one minute Obamacare is dead, and that he thinks they have the votes to pass the Heller plan... and then just minutes later says that he supports the Alexander-Murray plan and that it should stabilize Obamacare for the next 2 years...

Most insurers filed two sets of rates with anticipation of trump cutting the cost share reductions and the second set of rates were jacked up prices, not just jacked up but silver plans with an aptc are completely unfordable to anyone. Now the rates have been released by most companies and approved by their respective state insurance offices, I doubt they can go back to the lower set of rates at this late of a date. So in this instance I think trump knew exactly what he was doing, drop the csr's then congress agrees to fund them and you will still see high rates and trump will blame anyone but himself.

If they want the subsidies, they will. I'm pretty sure the Feds had a deadline of October 20th.

If they want the subsidies, they will. I'm pretty sure the Feds had a deadline of October 20th.

Except some companies already started their open enrollments for off the marketplace October 1st. I know this for a fact. We have already been told they will not roll back the prices once implemented.

Thanks to the unparalleled greatness of Bleipriester you now get this news in the jungle of partisan hate news. Neither Democrats nor Republicans are eager to let you in on that Trump agreed to continue government funding of ACA for "one or two years". The agreement also includes more freedoms for federal states. The thingy has yet to pass the Congress.

It was on the news several hours ago. So go back to your bottle.

Except some companies already started their open enrollments for off the marketplace October 1st. I know this for a fact. We have already been told they will not roll back the prices once implemented.

But won't that just mean that there will need to be more subsidies to pay the difference?

But won't that just mean that there will need to be more subsidies to pay the difference?

Subsidy as in advanced premium tax credit? Or cost share reductions?

But If one's income is projected to be about the same as this year the aptc will go up on the silver plans. The people that have already renewed off exchange just got screwed with a huge rate increase. If the insurance companies were smart they'd stop the press now, but Nov 1 is very close and things don't happen overnight with state insurance offices.

The first set of rates filed by one company called for under 10% rate increase, they could not go with that with trump hanging over their head.

But If one's income is projected to be about the same as this year the aptc will go up on the silver plans. The people that have already renewed off exchange just got screwed with a huge rate increase. If the insurance companies were smart they'd stop the press now, but Nov 1 is very close and things don't happen overnight with state insurance offices.

The first set of rates filed by one company called for under 10% rate increase, they could not go with that with trump hanging over their head.

As in the subsidies that Congress is looking to put back in action that Trump stopped. The ones that help lower income families to pay for their health insurance.

As in the subsidies that Congress is looking to put back in action that Trump stopped. The ones that help lower income families to pay for their health insurance.

Those aren't the subsidies trump stopped, he couldn't they are known as advanced premium tax credit and that was written into law. It was the cost share reductions he stopped, it is the one that anyone that was in 100%-250% of Federal Poverty Level lowered their deductibles, co-pays and max out of pocket on silver plans only.

Those aren't the subsidies trump stopped, he couldn't they are known as advanced premium tax credit and that was written into law. It was the cost share reductions he stopped, it is the one that anyone that was in 100%-250% of Federal Poverty Level lowered their deductibles, co-pays and max out of pocket on silver plans only.

Well I'm totally lost then because all I've heard since he did it, is that it is going to screw lower income families.

Well I'm totally lost then because all I've heard since he did it, is that it is going to screw lower income families.

That's because trump himself did not use the correct term (go figure) and the media just repeated. It would have screwed over the lower income if some insurance companies had not built the loss of the monies for cost share reductions into their 2018 rates. For those insurance companies, nothing would have changed for 2018 and were going to go through with the A, B or C plans, which are the ones with lower deductibles, co-pays and moop. The CSR's are paid to insurance companies and were not written into law and appropriated thanks to Rubio so yes obama did not have approval to do this.

That's because trump himself did not use the correct term (go figure) and the media just repeated. It would have screwed over the lower income if some insurance companies had not built the loss of the monies for cost share reductions into their 2018 rates. For those insurance companies, nothing would have changed for 2018 and were going to go through with the A, B or C plans, which are the ones with lower deductibles, co-pays and moop. The CSR's are paid to insurance companies and were not written into law and appropriated thanks to Rubio so yes obama did not have approval to do this.

So... the subsidy payments are going to screw the middle class... again? The middle class that votes more often than others, and could lead to Republicans losing seats in 2018 because they can no longer afford their insurance?

Explaining Health Care Reform: Questions About Health Insurance Subsidies

Key Facts: Cost-Sharing Reductions

Key Facts: Cost-Sharing Reductions
Updated September 2017

Health Insurance Marketplaces (also called exchanges) provide a way for people to buy affordable health coverage on their own. The following questions and answers explains the cost-sharing reductions that are available to low income individuals and families, to help them afford health care under their marketplace plans.

Download PDF

What are cost-sharing reductions?
Some people receiving premium tax credits to help pay their premiums for marketplace plans also are eligible to receive cost-sharing reductions to help them pay their cost-sharing charges. (For more information about the premium tax credit, see Key Facts You Need to Know About: Premium Tax Credits.) These subsidies reduce the deductibles, copayments, and other out-of-pocket charges that people eligible for them pay when they use benefits covered by their health plan.

Who is eligible for cost-sharing reductions?
Individuals and families with incomes up to 250 percent of the poverty line ($61,500 for a family of four in 2017) are eligible for cost-sharing reductions (or CSRs) if they are eligible for a premium tax credit and purchase a silver plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace in their state. People with lower incomes receive the most assistance.

How are the cost-sharing reductions provided?
People eligible for cost-sharing reductions who enroll in a silver plan will automatically receive a version of the plan with reduced cost-sharing charges, such as lower deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums or copayments. Unlike the premium subsidies, cost-sharing reductions are not provided as a tax credit and they do not have to be “reconciled” when people file their taxes for the year they received cost-sharing reductions.

What is a silver plan?
A silver plan is one type of plan available through both the state’s marketplace and individual market outside the marketplace. Plans offered in the individual market inside and outside the marketplace generally must fit within one of four metal tiers: bronze, silver, gold, and platinum. These tiers are defined by what’s known as actuarial value.

What is actuarial value?
In general, actuarial value percentages represent how much of a typical population’s medical spending a health insurance plan would cover. The actuarial value is 60 percent for bronze plans, 70 percent for silver plans, 80 percent for gold plans, and 90 percent for platinum plans. The higher the actuarial value, the more the plan covers of a typical population’s costs (and thus the typical population would pay less out-of-pocket). A lower actuarial value means the plan covers less of the costs (and the population pays more). The actuarial value calculation focuses mainly on cost-sharing charges. This means that a bronze plan generally would have higher overall enrollee cost sharing than a gold plan would. (For more information about actuarial value and the metal tiers, see Key Facts You Need to Know About: Cost-Sharing Charges.)

Will the cost-sharing reductions lower the out-of-pocket charges under a plan by a specific amount?
No, the cost-sharing reductions increase the actuarial value of a standard silver plan, which results in lower out-of-pocket charges. Specific cost-sharing charges will vary from silver plan to silver plan with the same actuarial value; in most states, insurers have significant flexibility to set these charges.

Table 1 shows an example of how various cost-sharing charges in a sample silver plan could be reduced to meet each of the cost-sharing reduction levels. For example, a person with annual income of $22,000 (182 percent of the federal poverty line in 2017) enrolled in a silver plan would be subject to a $250 deductible under the sample silver plan. (The deductible is the amount that the person must pay each year before the plan starts to pay for most covered services. (For more information on different types of cost-sharing charges, please see Key Facts You Need to Know About: Cost-Sharing Charges.)

TABLE 1:
How Does the Cost-Sharing Reduction Level Affect Cost-Sharing Charges?
Standard Silver – No CSR
CSR Plan for 201-250% FPL CSR Plan for 151-200% FPL CSR Plan for up to 150% FPL
Actuarial Value 70% AV 73% AV 87% AV 94% AV
Deductible (Individual) $2,000 $1,750 $250 $0
Maximum OOP Limit (Individual) $5,500 $4,000 $2,000 $1,000
Inpatient hospital
(After deductible) $1,500/
admission $1,500/
admission $250/
admission $100/
admission
Physician visit
(After deductible) $30 $30 $15 $10
Does a person eligible for a cost-sharing reduction have to keep track of spending on health care services to get reimbursed by the health plan or the federal government?
No. The cost-sharing charges for the silver plan are automatically reduced for someone who is eligible for a cost-sharing reduction. For example, consider the situation of Jane, a single woman buying her own health insurance. If Jane is not eligible for CSRs and enrolls in the standard silver plan shown in Table 1, she would have a $2,000 annual deductible and a $30 copayment for each physician visit after that deductible. She could be charged no more than $5,500 in out-of-pocket charges (deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance) for in-network covered benefits for the year. However, if Jane has income equal to 200 percent of the federal poverty line, she would face lower cost-sharing charges, as shown in the column of Table 1 for the plan with an 87 percent actuarial value. For example, she would have a $250 deductible instead of the $2,000 deductible under the standard silver plan. She would pay $15 for each doctor visit (after meeting the deductible) instead of $30.

Will people who have the same income spend the same amount of money out-of-pocket if they qualify for a cost-sharing reduction?
No. How much anyone spends out-of-pocket depends on what health care they use and the details of the specific health insurance plan they select. As Figure 1 shows, two people in the same silver plan with the same cost-sharing reduction will pay different amounts because they use different medical services.

FIGURE 1:
Two People, One Silver Plan

Silver Plan: 87 percent AV, $250 deductible, $2,000 out-of-pocket maximum, $250 copayment for hospital admission, $15 copayment for physician office visit
Example: John

ExamplePerson1.png

Health Care: 3 non-preventive physician visits
Total Cost: $300
John’s share of cost: = $265
($250 deductible + $15 copayment)
Example: Jane

ExamplePerson2.png

Health Care: Hospitalized, 3 physician visits,
20 physical therapy visits
Total Cost: $7,300
Jane’s share of cost: = $845
($250 deductible + $250 hospital copayment + $15 for each of 23 office visits)

So... the subsidy payments are going to screw the middle class... again? The middle class that votes more often than others, and could lead to Republicans losing seats in 2018 because they can no longer afford their insurance?

No not the subsidy (aptc). It will mainly affect people over around 350% of federal poverty level.

Trump said the subsidies paid was wrong because apparently, don't laugh, Trump objects to profitting off of the Government. Yeah, ok...but once again the Dems came up with actual legislation instead of talking shit and Trump says he'll support it! NOW he supports the subsidies! Lol...it's just like yesterday when he said "We aren't getting it done." Only to follow that with "And I'm not taking responsibility for it. THEY aren't getting it done"

206981Trumpovitch declares Obamacare is dead after...

• ...He killed it with his executive orders. Makes horrible decisions which adds $299B to deficit, causes 2 million to lose their insurance and raises premiums by 20% for those who still have it.

Now that he realizes the effects of his actions President Moron is looking for a scapegoat for his fuck ups.

If they pass this bi partisan bill, I won't like it, but it would serve the hard liners a lesson on why they should've compromised when they had the opportunity.

It's in trouble already lol. Who would have thunk any of these clowns could get together on anything?

Pretty sure Trump said he wouldn't support the subsidies because a federal court ruled them illegal as they were not proscrbed by the ACA law, but were made up out of whole cloth illegally by the Obama Administration.

If a law is passed by Congress, that would make them legal.

You should pay more attention to reality and less to the lying mainstream media.

Okay, but here's the problem. After 7 years of fighting tooth and nail on this issue, the GOP is knuckling under and paying subsidies to the Insurance Industry.

Maybe because the insurance industry threatened to spend a lot of money trying to turn them out of office.

Maybe because they realized that if the current system collapses, the people who are going to be most effected are the Red State voters who supported Trump to start with.

But the point is, Trump and the GOP Blinked. They said they were going to use this to wreck ObamaCare, and instead they signed a two year extension on it.

Forum List

Back