Trump could use emergency powers to build wall, Dem congressman says

The presidential powers invoked in declaring a national emergency are clear. He could simply ignore any court challenge.

As I say often to Democrats, be careful what you wish for.
BK IF the idiot in the WH says he has the right to build the wall WTF doesn't he do it and stop 1000's from suffering?

Because the Democrats ordered a pissing contest. Trump is merely obliging them.

The Democrats did that? The govt was shutdown under Republican control.

Why didn't the Senate vote on the House bill to avoid a shutdown?
Because Mitch didn't want the world to see that many Republicans don't support a wall either.

You can't blame the Dems when the president's own party doesn't support it either.

Until Trump is for it.
Soon they'll start floating around Trump declaring martial law to see how the sheep base reacts to it. I suspect they'll show full support.
Did you say that when Obama declared it a problem?

Obama mimics Bush on the border fence
Construction of a wall was completed under Obama, and he's poised to spend millions more on sensors and cameras
Justin Elliott
President Obama traveled to El Paso, Texas, this week and delivered an immigration speech that was widely viewed as an appeal to Hispanic voters.

While there's virtually no prospect of comprehensive immigration reform getting through the current Congress, the Obama administration has been emphasizingenforcement and border security. One under-examined aspect of the administration's policy is the continuation of Clinton- and Bush-era efforts to build a physical -- and virtual -- fence along the U.S.-Mexico border. In El Paso, Obama actually touted the fact that his administration had completed the fence. So we thought it was a good time to check in on the status of the fence, whether it's working, and what's planned for the future.”

Obama mimics Bush on the border fence

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...order-fence-went-from-optimism-to-1688076.php
The last time the United States tried to build a virtual border wall, it wasn’t exactly a big success

Another attempt of a virtual wall was tried by the Obama admin in 2015, but the results can’t be found. Obviously not very well. Wonder how much was spent that time?

So the Dems aren't for open borders then?

Trump's own party doesn't support a wall either. They've tried and failed several times to pass it.

House Republicans’ bad faith push to pass immigration reform is dead

Is this 3D chess by the Democrats? If so, I will actually give them some credit for doing right by America, but also allowing a much needed security structure.

The irony of it is, if the Democrats were smart they would have gotten on board with the Wall, it would have been politically advantageous for them. Really, who else is a far-left Open Borders voter going to vote for if not Democrats? They aren't going to support Trump in 2020 anyways even if the Dems supported 80% of his policiies.

So, the Dems should have given the wall, appeased moderates, and Independents. It would have been an easy sell to their own citizens, the MSM wouldn't have criticized them as they don't to hurt their chances. They could stand on the mantle of National Security and get rid of the moniker that they only care about foreign immigrants rather than Americans. There is an enduring quality to sometimes admit that your opponent was right. You could say "once all the facts were laid out and we spoke to border guards, we understand the challenges, and a wall addresses them".

Now, they will lose this fight. The gofundme page to me screamed that Americans want a wall. I don't care about polls or pundits, people never lie with their wallets.

The new Democratic chairman of the House Armed Services Committee said Sunday that President Donald Trump is empowered to declare a national emergency as a mechanism for constructing a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, but warned that such a maneuver would likely be met with a legal challenge.

“Unfortunately, the short answer is yes,” Rep. Adam Smith of Washington told host George Stephanopoulos during an interview on ABC’s “This Week,” noting that national emergency declarations have been used previously to build facilities in Afghanistan and Iraq.

It is NOT - by definition - a wall. It is a fence.

This was his tweet today:

Donald J. Trump on Twitter

'wall
[wawl]

See more synonyms for wall on Thesaurus.com
noun
  1. any of various permanent upright constructions having a length much greater than the thickness and presenting a continuous surface except where pierced by doors, windows, etc.: used for shelter,protection, or privacy, or to subdivide interior space, to support floors, roofs, or the like, to retain earth,to fence in an area, etc.'
the definition of wall

That thing he is so proud of does NOT have a 'continuous surface'. Therefore - BY DEFINITION - it is NOT a wall.

It is a fence.

And he promised it would be made of concrete. This latest one is almost entirely of metal.

Any half-decent welder could probably cut through it with his welding 'torch' - it's a pathetic barrier/fence.

Almost two full years into his presidency - and the one thing above all else he promised to do was to build a wall that Mexico would pay for, Now he has shut down government (he owned it) just to try and get taxpayers to finance a small portion of a fence.

That is the reality...whether anyone likes it or not.

I have no problem with building a wall. But either build it right - like the Israeli wall - or do not built it at all. And certainly do not shut down government and put hundreds of thousands of people out of work for weeks/months for a pathetic fence that will stop virtually no one...that he said over and over and over again that Mexico would pay for.

Is this 3D chess by the Democrats? If so, I will actually give them some credit for doing right by America, but also allowing a much needed security structure.

The irony of it is, if the Democrats were smart they would have gotten on board with the Wall, it would have been politically advantageous for them. Really, who else is a far-left Open Borders voter going to vote for if not Democrats? They aren't going to support Trump in 2020 anyways even if the Dems supported 80% of his policiies.

So, the Dems should have given the wall, appeased moderates, and Independents. It would have been an easy sell to their own citizens, the MSM wouldn't have criticized them as they don't to hurt their chances. They could stand on the mantle of National Security and get rid of the moniker that they only care about foreign immigrants rather than Americans. There is an enduring quality to sometimes admit that your opponent was right. You could say "once all the facts were laid out and we spoke to border guards, we understand the challenges, and a wall addresses them".

Now, they will lose this fight. The gofundme page to me screamed that Americans want a wall. I don't care about polls or pundits, people never lie with their wallets.

The new Democratic chairman of the House Armed Services Committee said Sunday that President Donald Trump is empowered to declare a national emergency as a mechanism for constructing a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, but warned that such a maneuver would likely be met with a legal challenge.

“Unfortunately, the short answer is yes,” Rep. Adam Smith of Washington told host George Stephanopoulos during an interview on ABC’s “This Week,” noting that national emergency declarations have been used previously to build facilities in Afghanistan and Iraq.

'wall
[wawl]

noun
  1. any of various permanent upright constructions having a length much greater than the thickness and presenting a continuous surface except where pierced by doors, windows, etc.: used for shelter,protection, or privacy, or to subdivide interior space, to support floors, roofs, or the like, to retain earth,to fence in an area, etc.'
the definition of wall

That thing he is so proud of does NOT have a 'continuous surface'. Therefore - BY DEFINITION - it is NOT a wall.

It is a fence.

And he promised it would be made of concrete. This latest one is almost entirely of metal.

Any half-decent welder could probably cut through it with his welding 'torch' - it's a pathetic barrier/fence.

Almost two full years into his presidency - and the one thing above all else he promised to do was to build a wall that Mexico would pay for, Now he has shut down government (he owned it) just to try and get taxpayers to finance a small portion of a fence.

I have no problem with building a wall. But either build it right - like the Israeli wall - or do not built it at all. And certainly do not shut down government and put hundreds of thousands of people out of work for weeks/months for a pathetic fence that will stop virtually no one...that he said over and over and over again that Mexico would pay for.

I will tell you, this is what the Democrats will claim when he does it, "look, he built a fence". To his supporters who see the obstruction into his agenda, they will still appreciate it. The Dems will say , "it was a win for them".

I ask though, just exactly who wins when American sovereignty and the health and welfare of it's citizens is jeopardized?

'wall
[wawl]

noun
the definition of wall

It is a fence.

I will tell you, this is what the Democrats will claim when he does it, "look, he built a fence". To his supporters who see the obstruction into his agenda, they will still appreciate it. The Dems will say , "it was a win for them".

I ask though, just exactly who wins when American sovereignty and the health and welfare of it's citizens is jeopardized?
That took place the day trump walked into our wh

It amazes me how other presidents didn’t have trouble getting funding for a wall in the past.
And yet it’s still not built. Didn’t do them much good to get funding if it never gets built.

It amazes me how other presidents didn’t have trouble getting funding for a wall in the past.
And yet it’s still not built. Didn’t do them much good to get funding if it never gets built.
Oh, some fences were built, but not done right, and the virtual wall installed and tried 3 times and failed.

Forum List

Back