Trump push for conservative judges intensifies, to Democrats' dismay

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats
Aug 23, 2011
THIS is why I voted for Trump

and THIS is why I am such a big fan and fervent supporter of POTUS!

Have I been pleased with Trump overall (tax cuts, travel restrictions, deregulaton)? - ABSOLUTELY

Have there been disappointments (spending bill)? - sure

but THIS (the shape and state of the federal judiciary) was always the end game for me...

Trump push for conservative judges intensifies, to Democrats' dismay

quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - As President Donald Trump pursues his goal of making the federal judiciary more conservative, his fellow Republicans who control the Senate are poised to confirm another batch of his picks for influential U.S. appeals courts to the dismay of some Democrats.

quote:
One of those due for consideration on the Senate floor this week is Milwaukee lawyer Michael Brennan, who Trump has nominated for a vacant seat on the Chicago-based 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which has jurisdiction over a region that includes Wisconsin. One of Wisconsin’s two senators, Democrat Tammy Baldwin, opposes Brennan’s confirmation.

Another important test will come at a Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing on Wednesday for Ryan Bounds, a federal prosecutor from Oregon nominated by Trump to fill a seat on the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Oregon’s two senators, both Democrats, oppose the nomination.

Brennan, Bounds and other Trump nominees who may be opposed by home-state Democratic senators are likely to win confirmation because of the Republicans’ 51-49 Senate majority.

and THIS is what has earned goodwill towards McConnell from me (that goodwill is wearing thin though):

quote:
There are 148 vacancies in the federal judiciary, with 68 pending nominees. Trump inherited a large number of vacancies in part because McConnell and his fellow Senate Republicans refused to confirm Obama’s nominees to fill some of the jobs before he left office in January 2017, including Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland.

So the Democrats are doing to Trump what the Republicans did to Obama?
I have to say that sounds correct

and the repubs blew up the filibuster, just as dems did

filibuster was never meant for judicial nominees anyway...

Forum List

Back