Trump Says He Wants To Punish Flag Burning With A Year In Prison

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018

When you are down in the polls, didn't sell out your first rally in a deep red state... and also feel like you gotta prove to people you can drink water with one hand -- some times you need something to cheer you up...and what better way to do that than to bring up the tired old flag burning debate again?

"We ought to come up with legislation that if you burn the American flag, you go to jail for one year. One year,” Trump said, claiming that he’s “a big believer in freedom of speech,” but calling flag burning “desecration -- earlier this month Trump asked the Supreme Court to reconsider its Texas v. Johnson ruling, saying “We have a different court and I think that it's time that we review that again. Because when I see flags being burned — they wanted to crawl up flag poles in Washington and try and burn flags but we stopped them."

I wonder what does he think one should get for burning the Confederate flag...the death penalty??
9340229242fc18d3bd10250a1547ebb8.jpg

Settled hash. I do believe the SCOTUS already filed on flag burning.

On June 21, 1989, a deeply divided United States Supreme Court upheld the rights of protesters to burn the American flag in a landmark First Amendment decision. I can't copy the link. New phone, but copy and past article and search and it will take you right there.

In the controversial Texas v. Johnson case, the Court voted 5-4 in favor of Gregory Lee Johnson, the protester who had burned the flag. Johnson’s actions, the majority argued, were symbolic speech, political in nature, and could be expressed even at the expense of our national symbol and to the affront of those who disagreed with him.

Justice William Brennan wrote the majority decision, with Justices Anthony Kennedy, Thurgood Marshall, Harry Blackmun and Antonin Scalia joining the majority. “Johnson was convicted for engaging in expressive conduct. The State’s interest in preventing breaches of the peace does not support his conviction because Johnson’s conduct did not threaten to disturb the peace,” said Brennan. “Nor does the State’s interest in preserving the flag as a symbol of nationhood and national unity justify his criminal conviction for engaging in political expression

On June 21, 1989, a deeply divided United States Supreme Court upheld the rights of protesters to burn the American flag in a landmark First Amendment decision. I can't copy the link. New phone, but copy and past article and search and it will take you right there.

In the controversial Texas v. Johnson case, the Court voted 5-4 in favor of Gregory Lee Johnson, the protester who had burned the flag. Johnson’s actions, the majority argued, were symbolic speech, political in nature, and could be expressed even at the expense of our national symbol and to the affront of those who disagreed with him.

Justice William Brennan wrote the majority decision, with Justices Anthony Kennedy, Thurgood Marshall, Harry Blackmun and Antonin Scalia joining the majority. “Johnson was convicted for engaging in expressive conduct. The State’s interest in preventing breaches of the peace does not support his conviction because Johnson’s conduct did not threaten to disturb the peace,” said Brennan. “Nor does the State’s interest in preserving the flag as a symbol of nationhood and national unity justify his criminal conviction for engaging in political expression
Yea, he wants the SC to reconsider that decision...because Murica!!

Yeah, most of us would, but he, just as we know, it is legal.
Most of us would what?
Most wish that flag burning wasn’t allowed, but for our Constitution to be followed it is allowed. It pisses people off that love this country to see it happen. Doesn’t mean we want it changed. But don’t expect us not to anecdotally say it once in awhile.

This is what I do t like about Trump. He knows it will never happen. It's just like his wall, and immegration reform. He knew he would never do anything to raise water for the under $100 thousand a year workers, and there was never going to be a wall. This flag this g was nothing but red meat for the base.

This is what I do t like about Trump. He knows it will never happen. It's just like his wall, and immegration reform. He knew he would never do anything to raise water for the under $100 thousand a year workers, and there was never going to be a wall. This flag this g was nothing but red meat for the base.
!

!

Those are jobs that are 100, and above. It does nothing for the lake who work on production floors is or in the plants making gas that drives the economy. Not impressed. Trump has only made gestures and platitudes on illegal immegration. He still has yet to show anything real.

Conservative as I might be perceived, I am very much in favour of allowing flag burning.

So long as the individual burning the flag maintains a steady hold - bare handed - until the last ember cools.

Not asking much, just a simple show of dedication.

Just have the same punishment for burning an American flag as there is for burning a pride flag.

Burning either flag is protected by the first amendment. Of course the 1st begins, Congress shall make no law...", and it's possible you could begin a movement in your community to petition your elected county officials to pass such code to make the Pride Flag burning legal, and the Stars and Bars desecration to be outlawed. Such hypocrisy isn't beyond your purview.

Conservative as I might be perceived, I am very much in favour of allowing flag burning.

So long as the individual burning the flag maintains a steady hold - bare handed - until the last ember cools.

Not asking much, just a simple show of dedication.

Would you wish the same when someone burned the Pride Flag or the Stars and Bars Flag?

When you are down in the polls, didn't sell out your first rally in a deep red state... and also feel like you gotta prove to people you can drink water with one hand -- some times you need something to cheer you up...and what better way to do that than to bring up the tired old flag burning debate again?

"We ought to come up with legislation that if you burn the American flag, you go to jail for one year. One year,” Trump said, claiming that he’s “a big believer in freedom of speech,” but calling flag burning “desecration -- earlier this month Trump asked the Supreme Court to reconsider its Texas v. Johnson ruling, saying “We have a different court and I think that it's time that we review that again. Because when I see flags being burned — they wanted to crawl up flag poles in Washington and try and burn flags but we stopped them."

I wonder what does he think one should get for burning the Confederate flag...the death penalty??
View attachment 354056

" I wonder what does he think one should get for burning the Confederate flag...the death penalty?? "

LOL

View attachment 354056
I like the idea that if you want to burn your flag, go pay the costs for that flag and burn it, it is your waste of money. Now if you are a welfare puke and buy a flag with my money then i get to kick your fucking ass for wasting my money and you dont get anymore of my money. If i am flying my flag and you dare try to burn, my flag, then i get to spend about $1.00 worth of ammo and put you six feet under, and i will bury you with my flag.. That is fair...

Just have the same punishment for burning an American flag as there is for burning a pride flag.

Burning either flag is protected by the first amendment. Of course the 1st begins, Congress shall make no law...", and it's possible you could begin a movement in your community to petition your elected county officials to pass such code to make the Pride Flag burning legal, and the Stars and Bars desecration to be outlawed. Such hypocrisy isn't beyond your purview.
Burning the American flag is protected by the first amendment. Burning a pride flag is a hate crime. Editorial: Gay pride flag burning is a hate crime

Burning the American flag is protected by the first amendment. Burning a pride flag is a hate crime. Editorial: Gay pride flag burning is a hate crime
Burning a pride flag is a hate crime
Unless you are a rag head camel jockey, then it is just "Workplace Violence".

Islam-liberals.jpg

View attachment 354056
I like the idea that if you want to burn your flag, go pay the costs for that flag and burn it, it is your waste of money. Now if you are a welfare puke and buy a flag with my money then i get to kick your fucking ass for wasting my money and you dont get anymore of my money. If i am flying my flag and you dare try to burn, my flag, then i get to spend about $1.00 worth of ammo and put you six feet under, and i will bury you with my flag.. That is fair...

"then i get to spend about $1.00 worth of ammo and put you six feet under, and i will bury you with my flag.. That is fair..."

because property is MORE Precious than a human life?

because a flag is more important than a human life?

because the flag is more PRECIOUS than the human life that flag is supposed to represent?

or just because you enjoy killing people any excuse will do?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back