Trump tells Lester Holt: Don’t fact-check debates

The debaters should call each other out on any lies. Prove the liar wrong.

The candidates do not debate each other

They are asked questions by a moderator and respond to the moderator...not the other candidate

With the frequency of Trumps lies and half truths it will be difficult for anyone to keep up

That is the job of the moderator. To accept or reject a response

We don't want the debate to digress into a....You lie....NO YOU LIE shouting match
That plays right into Trumps wheelhouse

You should make up your mind. :rolleyes:

The job of a moderator is:

Introduce the Candidates
Ask the Questions
End Petty Arguments
Redirect the Discussion
Monitor the Time/Keep Things on Track

That's it. It is NOT the moderator's job to fact check, call out lies, insert THEIR pov in any way. Nope.

If Trump is lying about xyz then it's up to mrs bill to say "uh, no Don, that is not true and here is why". Likewise, if mrs bill makes abc claim then it's up to Trump to know his shit and call her out on it if it's not true.

Yes it is the moderators job

THEY ask the question and consider the response before moving to the next topic
Lies and distortion is not an appropriate response and should be challenged on the spot

Nope. It's not the moderator's job to decide what is or is not a lie. Period. That's up to the candidates to know their shit/call each other on it and it's up to we, the people, to fact check what the candidates are saying.

"Donald Trump says NBC's Lester Holt should not correct his or Hillary Clinton's facts while moderating the first presidential debate.
"I think he has to be a moderator," Trump said on "Fox & Friends" Thursday.
"I mean, if you're debating somebody and if she makes a mistake or I make a mistake ... we'll take each other on," he added. "But I certainly don't think you want Candy Crowley again."
Crowley interjected during an October 2012 debate between President Obama and Mitt Romney, after Romney said it took Obama two weeks to refer to the Benghazi, Libya, attacks as terrorism.
"He did call it an act of terror," Crowley told Romney, though she added that he was "correct" that it took that long for the White House to acknowledge the attack was not related to an anti-Islamic video.
Trump on Thursday ripped Crowley's handling of the incident, urging Holt not to follow suit.
"She turned out to be wrong," he said. "I really don't think you want that. That was a very pivotal moment in that debate. And it really threw the debate off and it was unfair. No, I think you have to have somebody that's just - let them argue it out.""
===========================================================================

Now that is a classic. It doesn't surprise me one bit. A proven pathological liar, doesn't want to be fact checked during a debate. Trump won the "Liar of the Year" award primarily for his huge amount of falsehoods in the GOP debates.
2015 Lie of the Year: Donald Trump's campaign misstatements
Donald Trump's file
And doesn't Hillary Clinton also have an honesty problem?
I for one, would love to have both candidate, fact check throughout all three debates.
It's fair to the candidates and even more important, it would be great for the American voters. It would also a nice break from all the negative and typically false advertisements that dumb down voters.
WHO'S WITH ME?

He's telling Holt, Romney got caught lying, I don't want to get caught lying.

Lies and distortion is not an appropriate response and should be challenged on the spot

Nope. It's not the moderator's job to decide what is or is not a lie. Period. That's up to the candidates to know their shit/call each other on it and it's up to we, the people, to fact check what the candidates are saying.

Really? Is there a rule book you're quoting from?

"Donald Trump says NBC's Lester Holt should not correct his or Hillary Clinton's facts while moderating the first presidential debate.
"I mean, if you're debating somebody and if she makes a mistake or I make a mistake ... we'll take each other on," he added. "But I certainly don't think you want Candy Crowley again."
Crowley interjected during an October 2012 debate between President Obama and Mitt Romney, after Romney said it took Obama two weeks to refer to the Benghazi, Libya, attacks as terrorism.
"He did call it an act of terror," Crowley told Romney, though she added that he was "correct" that it took that long for the White House to acknowledge the attack was not related to an anti-Islamic video.
Trump on Thursday ripped Crowley's handling of the incident, urging Holt not to follow suit.
"She turned out to be wrong," he said. "I really don't think you want that. That was a very pivotal moment in that debate. And it really threw the debate off and it was unfair. No, I think you have to have somebody that's just - let them argue it out.""

Now that is a classic. It doesn't surprise me one bit. A proven pathological liar, doesn't want to be fact checked during a debate. Trump won the "Liar of the Year" award primarily for his huge amount of falsehoods in the GOP debates.
Donald Trump's file
I for one, would love to have both candidate, fact check throughout all three debates.
It's fair to the candidates and even more important, it would be great for the American voters. It would also a nice break from all the negative and typically false advertisements that dumb down voters.
WHO'S WITH ME?

Nope. Romney was not lying. You are the one lying. You just got fact checked by me.

Donald Trump's file
WHO'S WITH ME?

Nope. Romney was not lying. You are the one lying. You just got fact checked by me.
Go back and read the whole thread, sonny.

Moderator Duties for a Debate

It is NOT the moderator's job to decide what is a lie and to interject their pov. Period.

Moderator Duties for a Debate

It is NOT the moderator's job to decide what is a lie and to interject their pov. Period.

Libs think its Jimmy Fallon's job to take down Trump.

Donald Trump's file
WHO'S WITH ME?

You're an idiot. We proved Romney lied 4 years ago. Go back and read the threads.

Crowley corrected Romney as he started to spin Benghazi lies

Republicans are very good at that

Crowley lied, and admitted she lied.

You continue to lie.

Didn't think I'd watch it did you?

She said Romney lied

:lol:

You're a fucking moron - you know others can watch it, right?

CNN's Candy Crowley admits that Romney was actually right during the debate on the Libya remark (October 16, 2012).

Right, it's up to the people to fact check. Now, what percentage of voters are going to fact check each comment? Not many. So, you are in favor of dumbing down the voter instead of educating them. Dumbing down the voter is how we ended up with Trump and Clinton as the major party nominees. Also, repeatedly lying and not getting called on it is intentionally misstating facts in order to mislead the voter, again dumbing down the voter.
Why do people have such an opposition for voters hearing truth? Sounds very Banana Republic and un-American to me. The word that comes to mind is propaganda. Yeah, that's the ticket, let's have a propaganda substance debate instead of a debate based on facts.

Dodgy Trump: "why can't we use nuclear weapons we had a good time using them before"
Lester Holt: "no Mr. Trump that isn't corr..."
Dodgy Trump: "please, we aren't interested in facts here Lester, I mean a President doesn't have to know stuff, ask Bush, or Reagan"
Lester Holt: "touche"

If it the job of the moderators to fact check and participate actively in the substance of the debate answers, they should be not be broadcasters.

Donald Trump's file
WHO'S WITH ME?
Well, since the moderator has been a registered Republican for decades, then I'll go along with your position the moderator can insert commentary whenever he feels the need.

Donald Trump's file
WHO'S WITH ME?

donald is a hoot.

how dare they not let him lie for ninety minutes

Donald Trump's file
WHO'S WITH ME?
Well, since the moderator has been a registered Republican for decades, then I'll go along with your position the moderator can insert commentary whenever he feels the need.

so if he wasn't a registered republican, he couldn't point out donald's lies?

Forum List

Back