Trump thinks he can change the Constitution via EO

Trump plans to sign executive order ending birthright citizenship: Axios

More red meat for the masses. Even he is not stupid enough to think this will work.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
It will work to get more votes from people who have the right to vote.

I hate EOs. I think they are bullshit. I think the 14th Amendment is sloppy but clear. It needs to be amended.

BUT, Obama opened the EO door despite our yelling and screaming, so a little payback is in order.

Hopefully, the EO bullshit will stop forever after this.

The EO has been used since this nation was founded but now it's bad because Oblama did it...Yeah that makes sense..

Source: CNBC.COM original story on Axios
Trump wants to sign an order to end birthright citizenship, setting up a constitutional battle

"President Donald Trump is planning to terminate birthright citizenship, according to a report by Axios, potentially setting up another stand-off between the U.S. president and the courts.

Trump plans to sign an executive order that would remove the right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, he said Monday, according to Axios which used the exclusive interview to promote a new documentary series called "Axios on HBO."

"This would be the most dramatic move yet in Trump's hardline immigration campaign, this time targeting 'anchor babies' and 'chain migration'," Axios said in its report.

Trump's comments come as he continues to push a hard anti-immigration line ahead of the midterms this month, and many experts will highlight that it's not within the president's power to change birthright citizenship.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump reportedly said, declaring he can do it by using an executive order.

Trump said he had run the idea of ending birthright citizenship by his counsel and plans to proceed, despite likely controversy. However, during the same interview Trump expressed surprise that Axios knew about his secret plan: "I didn't think anybody knew that but me. I thought I was the only one," he said."

Let the fun, games and gnashing of teeth begin.

This should be an interesting court battle if President Twitter follows through with the Executive Order since the courts have never ruled on the question of whether or not the 14th Amendment applies to illegal immigrants or foreigners with temporary legal status.

Personally I don't think he's going to win this battle but I guess we'll see.

"May you live in interesting times" -- Chinese Curse
I've often wondered why we didn't do this. If people are here illegally, why should their children be legal? It is a whole 'nother matter if the parents are here legally but not yet citizens.
I think there will be a Constitutional question about it, but why wouldn't an Amendment like that pass? Everyone says they don't support illegal immigration. So why would they support these children becoming US citizens?

Votes
An amendment does not require 100% approval to pass, does it? So California, which has a huge illegal population, will vote no for an amendment. That doesn't mean it won't pass.

More red meat for the masses. Even he is not stupid enough to think this will work.

i commented in the other thread and would 100% agree. congress needs to do it's job and/or take take this case before the supreme court and have them interpret the law as it currently reads.

presidents need to stop using EO's to "get their way" and get back into our government as it was designed.

I agree. Congress needs to do its job

Trump wants to sign an order to end birthright citizenship, setting up a constitutional battle

"President Donald Trump is planning to terminate birthright citizenship, according to a report by Axios, potentially setting up another stand-off between the U.S. president and the courts.

Trump plans to sign an executive order that would remove the right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, he said Monday, according to Axios which used the exclusive interview to promote a new documentary series called "Axios on HBO."

"This would be the most dramatic move yet in Trump's hardline immigration campaign, this time targeting 'anchor babies' and 'chain migration'," Axios said in its report.

Trump's comments come as he continues to push a hard anti-immigration line ahead of the midterms this month, and many experts will highlight that it's not within the president's power to change birthright citizenship.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump reportedly said, declaring he can do it by using an executive order.

Trump said he had run the idea of ending birthright citizenship by his counsel and plans to proceed, despite likely controversy. However, during the same interview Trump expressed surprise that Axios knew about his secret plan: "I didn't think anybody knew that but me. I thought I was the only one," he said."

This should be an interesting court battle if President Twitter follows through with the Executive Order since the courts have never ruled on the question of whether or not the 14th Amendment applies to illegal immigrants or foreigners with temporary legal status.

I've often wondered why we didn't do this. If people are here illegally, why should their children be legal? It is a whole 'nother matter if the parents are here legally but not yet citizens.
I think there will be a Constitutional question about it, but why wouldn't an Amendment like that pass? Everyone says they don't support illegal immigration. So why would they support these children becoming US citizens?
it's been a loophole for far too long and this, along with overall immigration reform, needs to be among our top priorities when congress resumes session.

there are things we can do with immigration that will help the situation and i'd much rather see us spend money on doing this vs. walls and rhetoric. we can implement a seasonal work program (if we don't already have one) where they can apply for the ability, get it, come over and work and go home when done. but while here the will pay into this system to make it self-funding as possible.

anyone with a criminal record of violence will *not* be let over here. period. end of story.

Votes
An amendment does not require 100% approval to pass, does it? So California, which has a huge illegal population, will vote no for an amendment. That doesn't mean it won't pass.
You honestly don't know how much approval it takes?

66.666666666....%

Votes

What I mean is that many politicians want the 14 th ammendment to apply to children of illegals so those children will vote for them in general elections.

Long overdue...

I sure hope he is successful.

The 14th was added so the children of ex slaves would be recognized as America citizens. Its not needed anymore.

Its an issue that should have been addressed long ago.

If the illegals kids aren't American citizens then the mother is entitled to nothing.

The 14th amendment was created so those BORN of slaves could then be citizens and not be considered outsiders. The Anchor Baby syndrome has been used to keep the Democrat party somewhat alive, because over the years, abortion has killed millions of future Democrat party members. They need a new source, and welfare Hispanics will vote their way.

What is the 14th amendment to the US constitution?
The 14th amendment was adopted in 1868, after the American Civil War, and addresses the equal protection and rights of former slaves.

Illegal Immigration: Yes, Democrats Are Now The Party Of Open Borders
Registering Illegal Immigrants
To top it off, San Francisco started registering illegal immigrants this week, so they can vote in the November city school board election.

"We want to give immigrants the right to vote," Norman Yee, a county supervisor, said.
I want to know when the US citizen gets fed up with this shit and stops the traitors who are trying to ruin this country...

Libtardos are always claiming the Constitution is a living document that needs to change with the times. That's why they want libtardo judges so they can apply their "nuance".

Of course it only applies to the things they want changed. And they don't want the living document changed when it applies to their future voting base.

it's been a loophole for far too long and this, along with overall immigration reform, needs to be among our top priorities when congress resumes session.

there are things we can do with immigration that will help the situation and i'd much rather see us spend money on doing this vs. walls and rhetoric. we can implement a seasonal work program (if we don't already have one) where they can apply for the ability, get it, come over and work and go home when done. but while here the will pay into this system to make it self-funding as possible.

anyone with a criminal record of violence will *not* be let over here. period. end of story.
Don't we already have a seasonal work program? The problem with that (it's a sensible sounding idea) is that over half the illegals in this country came here on a visa and then didn't leave when it expired. Increasing the number of folks we let in "temporarily" is the same as an open door policy if we can't do a better job of enforcing the deadlines we've already got.

Votes
You honestly don't know how much approval it takes?

66.666666666....%
That's what I thought--2/3. But it sounded kinda low for a Constitutional amendment, so I wasn't sure.

I don't agree with your Welfare argument, but I agree it makes no sense to make them citizens. The real solution is not hiring illegal immigrants. That will never happen, so instead we will keep punishing the poor and the powerless, because it is so much easier.

It's true about the welfare. They're allowed to collect it in their childrens names and they do. I had just read statistics about how much the bill was a couple of weeks ago. It was around a billion and a half dollars in LA county alone over two years. That's crazy stupid. We have our own people living on the streets. We have people without healthcare. Kids going to school hungry.

I found it. It's a study from the Migration Policy Institute. 1.3 billion in welfare it was, for just two years in Los Angeles County alone.

I do agree with you about employers, though. Home Depot sent some Mexican immigrants from a private contractor to do my roof, they showed up late with only two guys, and the one gave me some lip when I told him he was bending my gutters. I had to climb up there and straighten sht out.

The 14th amendment was never meant for illegal aliens.
We don't have to amend the constitution, we just have to interpret the law correctly.
Usually. . . . conservatives are AGAINST judicial activism.

Looking like a hypocrite only looks good on liberals and statists.

7e181aadb01de09a88c60bd7332bc095f6cdb827a34e73dd8888d61b5dafa4c8.jpg

Don't we already have a seasonal work program? The problem with that (it's a sensible sounding idea) is that over half the illegals in this country came here on a visa and then didn't leave when it expired. Increasing the number of folks we let in "temporarily" is the same as an open door policy if we can't do a better job of enforcing the deadlines we've already got.
i believe we have something out there but it wouldn't appear to be working.

The National Farmworker Jobs Program, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

i need to do some reading on this before really saying much more. could be this just needs to be expanded, publicized better and so forth.

Nice to know you think people won't like an end to the anchor baby issue.

I think they will as these anchor baby's cost the tax payer billions each year.

Carry on clueless.

I sure hope he is successful.

The 14th was added so the children of ex slaves would be recognized as America citizens. Its not needed anymore.

Its an issue that should have been addressed long ago.

If the illegals kids aren't American citizens then the mother is entitled to nothing.
The 14th amendment is the most abused amendment in the Constitution. It's being used as an excuse for many things, same-sex marriage for one, along with anchor babies. That's why the Supreme Court has to be overhauled with Justices that adhere to original intent. Trump is doing that.

In 2013, California spent a total of $25.3 billion on illegal immigrants or $2,370 per U.S. citizen household, according to a 2013 study by the Federation for American Immigration Reform.

Texas and New York were second and third, at $12.1 billion and $9.5 billion, respectively.

The welfare benefit data from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services shows more than 58,000 families received a total of $602 million in benefits in 2015. More than 64,000 families received a total of $675 million in 2016. During the first five months of 2017, more than 60,000 families received a total of $181 million. Welfare and food stamp costs for the county’s entire population were $3.1 billion in 2015, $2.9 billion in 2016 and $1.5 billion as of the first quarter of 2017.

When the government subsidizes illegal immigration, we get more of it.

Those billions of annual dollars should be kept in the pockets of Americans so they can afford healthcare, housing, and food, instead of subsidizing illegal immigration. And the reason they get those billions of annual dollars is because they can steal it from the American taxpayer in the names of their naturalized children when they come here illegally to have them. With all of that money we're being forced to hand over to criminals who do not respect our laws, we could build the wall and put Americans' hard earned money back in their pockets for healthcare, housing, and other necessities.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back